inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Joke from obscure movie or short movie: I'm at a loss

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/15/12 at 2:26 am

Years ago I saw a kids movie on TV and I can only remember one joke from it.  I think it was black & white.  I saw it as a Saturday afternoon broadcast in 1981 or 1982.  Probably made in the fifties or early sixties, but it took place around the twenties.  The set up was this.  In the beginning the family is buying a used car.  The guy yells to the salesman:
"Hey, this car won't start."
"Is the switch on?," asks the salesman.
"Yes."
"Well, make like you're going to get out."
The guy opens the door and the car starts up.

Later in the film, the father and mother catch their young son playing in the car.
"Junior, what ARE you doing?," his mother demands.
"I'm making like I'm driving!," says Junior.
The guy says, "Well, make like you're going to get out!"
The kid sticks his leg out the door, the car starts up, and the kid takes the car on a wild ride before crashing into a haystack or something.

That's all I can remember, and yet I have not forgotten it in 30 years, and it's killing me not know where the joke is from!

Subject: Re: Joke from obscure movie or short movie: I'm at a loss

Written By: gibbo on 09/15/12 at 10:53 pm

Oh Max ... how tortured your mind must be!!  ;D    Sorry mate ... can't help you with this one!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/15/12 at 11:19 pm

Oh Max ... how tortured your mind must be!!  ;D    Sorry mate ... can't help you with this one!

I'm one icepick away from a lobotomy!
:D

Written By: warped on 09/16/12 at 1:52 pm

Could it have been from a Cary Grant film "Room for one more". It's an early 1950s comedy. In that film, Cary's character and his wife adopted some kids, and I do recall some funny scenes with a car.  I don't remember this specific scene, but it's been years since I have seen the film. 

Just a wild guess on my part.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/18/12 at 11:38 pm

Could it have been from a Cary Grant film "Room for one more". It's an early 1950s comedy. In that film, Cary's character and his wife adopted some kids, and I do recall some funny scenes with a car.  I don't remember this specific scene, but it's been years since I have seen the film. 

Just a wild guess on my part.

You've got the right spirit, but the wrong movie.  Cary Grant was top of the bill, whereas the film I'm looking for is b-movie material.  If I could just remember a few character names or more dialogue, I just know I could nail it down!  If memory serves, I saw it on UHF on a Saturday afternoon.  It was on before "The Apple Dumpling Gang" with Don Knotts...I think.

Maybe one of our pop culture bloodhounds will be able to track it down. 

In the meantime, here is a goofy French short film for 1962.  In Heureux anniversaire (Happy Anniversary), Georges is in a hurry to get home to celebrate his anniversary with his wife, but circumstances thwart him!

La première partie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09C_pgOXULw&feature=relmfu

Partie deux:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN7EWbMgDDs&feature=relmfu

Check for new replies or respond here...