inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How were the decades different in other countries?

Written By: belmont22 on 09/19/12 at 7:43 am

Inthe00s, while international, is still probably at least 70 percent American so there's always an American bias here, such as saying '9/11 changed pop culture' for example.

Did fads tend to linger on longer in other countries, or perhaps even end more quickly? I've even noticed in the US traveling that hip hop seems to have declined on the west coast but is still all they play in the Midwest, while it's even less popular in Canada and Australia.

Subject: Re: How were the decades different in other countries?

Written By: warped on 09/19/12 at 7:50 am

As an older fart person living in Canada, I don't think fads/pop culture were too different in the 60s, 70s or 80s from America.  TV shows were the same ( coz we watched American TV), Movies were the same. Music might have been a little different, less Motown played in Canada, more British music (Bands like "Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, ELP, Zeppelin, Jethro Tull" were more popular in Canada in the 70s (in general) but also had a following in the USA too.

I can't speak for the newer pop culture since 9/11, since I don't listen to new music, don't watch new TV shows, and only watch movies on DVD now.

Written By: Emman on 09/19/12 at 4:03 pm

In Europe it seemed disco never died out, it morphed into a kind of italo-disco sound in the '80s, eurodance in the '90s, and vocal trance in the '00s.

Written By: watertowater on 09/20/12 at 2:50 am

In Europe it seemed disco never died out, it morphed into a kind of italo-disco sound in the '80s, eurodance in the '90s, and vocal trance in the '00s.

And I kinda noticed how the late '90s dragged on for a lot longer in Europe than in the U.S. As late as the mid-00s, there were still late '90s style novelty pop songs made in Europe. 

Written By: whistledog on 09/20/12 at 4:46 pm

Hip-Hop/Rap artists are very minimal in Canada.  They probably make up about 10% of the current Canadian Hot 100

Written By: belmont22 on 09/21/12 at 12:28 pm

Hip-Hop/Rap artists are very minimal in Canada.  They probably make up about 10% of the current Canadian Hot 100

Actually Hip Hop has died off quite a bit in the US over the past 3 years as well. Thank God!  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 09/22/12 at 7:12 pm

Actually Hip Hop has died off quite a bit in the US over the past 3 years as well. Thank God!  ;D

It's still a large portion of the whole of the US Hot 100, but it has faded quite much from the Top 40

Written By: belmont22 on 09/22/12 at 10:35 pm

It's still a large portion of the whole of the US Hot 100, but it has faded quite much from the Top 40

That's true, I've noticed 41-100 has a lot of hip hop but very little in 1-40.

Written By: Jenny1982 on 09/23/12 at 9:25 pm

Here's a pretty good article on the 90s in Australia and New Zealand

http://retrojunk.com/content/article/37016/index/

Check for new replies or respond here...