inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: WWII Generation's and Korea Generation's views on things

Written By: Ryan112390 on 09/19/12 at 8:12 am

The WWII Generation spans approximately between 1910 to 1924, and the Korean War Generation (or Silent Generation) spans from about 1924-1940.

I'm sure many people here had a grandparent or great grandparent in one of those age ranges. Those two generations saw drastic and rapid changes in American society, culture, pop culture, politics traditions, and major world changing events, over the course of their lifetimes. These are the generations that fought in or are old enough to remember WWII and Korea, who came home and worked within one of the greatest period of economic prosperity in American history. These two generations were old enough to see the rise of Rock N' Roll in the '50s and the Cold War from it's start to finish, to have remembered the massive social upheaval of the 1960s and 1970s, to have remembered the JFK assassination and Vietnam from an adult's perspective, to have voted during the Roosevelt-Truman-Ike-JFK-Johnson-Nixon years and later watched Watergate unfold on TV, hell, even to witness television become a mass market product. To watch video games slowly rise as a form of entertainment in the 70s, to see the Reagan era and the end of the Cold War as older adults, and to see the Boomers take power with Clinton in '93.

For those of you who had grandparents in that age range, what did they think of all these issues? Of Korea? Of WWII and Hitler? Of Vietnam and the younger generation and the movement against the war? The ways society changed throughout the 60s? The Rock Stars of the 50s such as Elvis? What were their views on Roosevelt, Truman, Ike, JFK, LBJ, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan and Clinton? How did they feel about Watergate? What sort of music did they listen to, what sort of movies and television shows did they like?

I ask because the grandparents of that generation in my family were either dead by 1990 (the year of my birth) or I was too young to get to know them before they died, and as such, their possibly really cool perspectives on one of the most important epochs in American history (the 1930s-1990s) was lost for me.

Subject: Re: WWII Generation's and Korea Generation's views on things

Written By: meesa on 09/19/12 at 9:07 am

The WWII Generation spans approximately between 1910 to 1924, and the Korean War Generation (or Silent Generation) spans from about 1924-1940.

I'm sure many people here had a grandparent or great grandparent in one of those age ranges. Those two generations saw drastic and rapid changes in American society, culture, pop culture, politics traditions, and major world changing events, over the course of their lifetimes. These are the generations that fought in or are old enough to remember WWII and Korea, who came home and worked within one of the greatest period of economic prosperity in American history. These two generations were old enough to see the rise of Rock N' Roll in the '50s and the Cold War from it's start to finish, to have remembered the massive social upheaval of the 1960s and 1970s, to have remembered the JFK assassination and Vietnam from an adult's perspective, to have voted during the Roosevelt-Truman-Ike-JFK-Johnson-Nixon years and later watched Watergate unfold on TV, hell, even to witness television become a mass market product. To watch video games slowly rise as a form of entertainment in the 70s, to see the Reagan era and the end of the Cold War as older adults, and to see the Boomers take power with Clinton in '93.

For those of you who had grandparents in that age range, what did they think of all these issues? Of Korea? Of WWII and Hitler? Of Vietnam and the younger generation and the movement against the war? The ways society changed throughout the 60s? The Rock Stars of the 50s such as Elvis? What were their views on Roosevelt, Truman, Ike, JFK, LBJ, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan and Clinton? How did they feel about Watergate? What sort of music did they listen to, what sort of movies and television shows did they like?

I ask because the grandparents of that generation in my family were either dead by 1990 (the year of my birth) or I was too young to get to know them before they died, and as such, their possibly really cool perspectives on one of the most important epochs in American history (the 1930s-1990s) was lost for me.

I think the answer to your questions would be as varied as the people themselves.
I could tell you stories about my grandparents and the things they had said and done over the years, and there are probably others here that would do the same, but rather than receiving second-hand info, you could join volunteer groups who help the elderly in your local neighborhood (like help them with household tasks, or chores, etc) or check into visiting local nursing homes (visitors that want to help in a positive way are usually welcome)? You could not only ask about their opinions and stories, but also make some valuable friendships along the way!  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...