inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rule of the '7'

Written By: Jenny1982 on 09/28/12 at 10:56 pm

The more I think about it, the more I think a 'rule of the 7' could apply to whether or not things can be considered quintessential examples of items from a decade, particularly if they also had popularity into the next decade.

It would prevent the inclusion of "decade bridgers" (items with cultural relevance late in decade x, and at least the early part in decade y, and were about as popular or even more popular in decade y than decade x) from being considered quintessential examples of a decade that they simply don't reflect in the big picture.

Here are some classic examples of "decade bridgers" that are infamously associated with the decade they first appeared in. Applying a rule of the '7' would prevent these '---8' and '---9' debuts from being considered quintessential to decade x:

* Justin Bieber
* Katy Perry
* Lady Gaga
* Saved By The Bell
* Spongebob Squarepants

Subject: Re: Rule of the '7'

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/28/12 at 11:54 pm

The more you drive, the less intelligent you are.

-- Miller

8)

Written By: Jenny1982 on 09/29/12 at 12:33 am

The more you drive, the less intelligent you are.

-- Miller

8)

Well, lucky I enjoy walking/taking the bus...keeps me intelligent I guess.

Written By: Inertia on 09/29/12 at 5:48 am

??? I think all years are equally important to a decade. I don't understand the reasoning behind wanting to not include certain years. It's still part of the same decade.

Written By: Jenny1982 on 09/29/12 at 12:39 pm

??? I think all years are equally important to a decade. I don't understand the reasoning behind wanting to not include certain years. It's still part of the same decade.

It's not about excluding years, it's about excluding stuff that made more relevance to another decade. Justin Beiber figuratively doesn't exist in the 00s when you measure against the 10s, and yet there are still people acting like Justin Bieber is quintessential. Now if we were talking about a show for example that began in 2008 and ended in 2009, that would be different, it's not a "decade bridger" because it was only relevant in one era.

Written By: whistledog on 09/29/12 at 12:41 pm

I have no idea what this topic is about.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 09/29/12 at 1:28 pm

I see what Jenny is saying and I agree.

I don't think shows like Glee, Community, Parks & Rec, etc. that debuted in 2009 are representative of the '00s. They've spent more of their run so far in the '10s -- they're '10s shows.

Same with Spongebob...debuted in 1999 but I'm pretty sure it still makes episodes to this day. Definitely a '00s thing.

Seinfeld, Roseanne...debuted late 80s, extended far into the 90s. They're quintessential 90s, not 80s.

But yeah, a show that airs for one season from 2008-2009 still counts as '00s.

Written By: warped on 09/29/12 at 3:07 pm

I understand the topic, but I prefer Rule 34 to "rule of 7"  :D

Written By: Howard on 09/29/12 at 4:37 pm

me neither.

Written By: Jenny1982 on 09/29/12 at 4:50 pm

MarkMc1990 explains it well. I was saying that something after 1987, 1997 etc. shouldn't be considered 'quintessential' of an era if it has more cultural relevance in the next decade.

Written By: Jenny1982 on 09/29/12 at 4:51 pm

I don't think shows like Glee, Community, Parks & Rec, etc. that debuted in 2009 are representative of the '00s. They've spent more of their run so far in the '10s -- they're '10s shows.

Same with Spongebob...debuted in 1999 but I'm pretty sure it still makes episodes to this day. Definitely a '00s thing.

Seinfeld, Roseanne...debuted late 80s, extended far into the 90s. They're quintessential 90s, not 80s.

THANK YOU! This is PERFECTLY what this is about!

Written By: slim on 09/29/12 at 7:28 pm

That is true.  I still don't understand why some  people still consider Spongebob a "90s thing". I was like 8 when it debuted, but it's more of a 2000's cartoon.

Written By: whistledog on 09/29/12 at 7:33 pm

I understand the topic, but I prefer Rule 34 to "rule of 7"  :D

LOL

Written By: whistledog on 09/29/12 at 7:36 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIPvKk1ZWsg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4YV2_TcCoE

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/30/12 at 12:25 am

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m86y3bGalF1r9a32bo1_500.jpg

Aaw, c'mon, what's in the box?

Written By: Inertia on 09/30/12 at 6:12 am

https://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/12/9/25/LyVUPwctoEy0zyU83JKERQ2.jpg

When in doubt, you should post pictures of cats.

Check for new replies or respond here...