inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did Prog rock begin to go downhill?

Written By: belmont22 on 10/04/12 at 2:35 pm

It seemed like it was strong until at least about 1982, maybe glam metal and a rise of anti-intellectualism in 80's music is what pushed it underground?

Subject: Re: When did Prog rock begin to go downhill?

Written By: whistledog on 10/04/12 at 6:34 pm

Prog Rock is still around. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/12 at 8:38 pm

Your classic "Prog" era (King Crimson, Yes, Amon-Duul, Gentle Giant) did indeed fade out in the early eighties, but that's when my favorite band the Legendary Pink Dots were just getting started.  I think LPD is one of the best progressive bands, but they wouldn't make Dave Marsh's top 100 for anything.  Fred Frith, Hugh Hopper, Univers Zero, and Richard Pinhas have all done some of their best work since the eighties. 

Check out Cuneiform Records for progressive rock going strong today.

Written By: warped on 10/04/12 at 8:48 pm

The peak was in the early to mid 70s. It began to go downhill in 1979 to 1980. All the Prog rock bands (Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, ELP, King Crimson, Supertramp, Styx etc..) either disbanded or their music became worse.  In my opinion, Supertramp's last really good album was "Breakfast in America", Styx was "Pieces of eight", Floyd's was "The Wall", Genesis was "Duke", ELP was "'Works" etc, all around 1978 or 1980.

Some may say Progressive rock went downhill even earlier. 

Check for new replies or respond here...