inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did tattoos and piercings become mainstream?

Written By: belmont22 on 10/16/12 at 3:07 pm

According to this chart, nose piercings started to be mentioned in literature around 1986, and the explosion in their popularity dates back to about 1991. Since the early 2000's, they've maintained a similar level of popularity, at least if it's still the same now as it was in 2008.

http://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=nose+piercings&year_start=1970&year_end=2008&corpus=0&smoothing=3

Ngram suggests that the tattoo explosion began a bit earlier, sometime around 1980. The mentions of the term 'tattoos' in the literature Google samples doubled in the 80s and doubled again in the 90s, and has stayed as of 2008 relatively constant since 2002.

http://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=tattoos&year_start=1950&year_end=2008&corpus=0&smoothing=3

Subject: Re: When did tattoos and piercings become mainstream?

Written By: belmont22 on 10/16/12 at 3:09 pm

Anyway, I voted mid 90's. That seems about the time they became nearly as common as they are now. I think throughout the 80's and a bit of the way into the 90's having a nose ring or visible tattoos would make people stereotype you as an 'alternative' type but now it's so mainstream that of anything you'd be stereotyped as straight edge or boring for not having anything.  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 10/16/12 at 8:30 pm

When were they not mainstream?  Did you know Ward Cleaver had a tattoo that said "June is my bitch!" on his ass? :D

Written By: Howard on 10/16/12 at 8:42 pm

When were they not mainstream?  Did you know Ward Cleaver had a tattoo that said "June is my bitch!" on his ass? :D

;D

Written By: tv on 10/17/12 at 6:16 pm

I think the early to mid 2000's it became mainstream. In the 1996-1999 period it wasn't mainstream to have tatoos. Than the Allen Iverson Sports Illustrated Cover came out in 2001 and it kind of paved the way for tatoos becoming mainstream. I think the rap era of 2003-2008, and  the show "Miami INK" with Kat Von D popularized the tatoo trend.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/29/12 at 9:43 am

I think the early to mid 2000's it became mainstream. In the 1996-1999 period it wasn't mainstream to have tatoos. Than the Allen Iverson Sports Illustrated Cover came out in 2001 and it kind of paved the way for tatoos becoming mainstream. I think the rap era of 2003-2008, and  the show "Miami INK" with Kat Von D popularized the tatoo trend.

I voted late 1990's because I remember those sticker tattoos were popular back then but it wasn't really like now until the 2000's, you're right.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/29/12 at 6:52 pm

Early nineties.  Tattoos above the collarbone and pierced genitals made it to the mainstream in the late nineties. 
::)

Written By: belmont22 on 10/29/12 at 11:09 pm

Early nineties.  Tattoos above the collarbone and pierced genitals made it to the mainstream in the late nineties. 
::)

Thankfully facial tattoos still aren't mainstream quite yet.  ::)

Written By: Katluver on 10/30/12 at 12:50 am

Hmm, now you've seriuosly made me wonder if they ever will be  :o

Written By: Jquar on 10/30/12 at 7:09 pm

Athletes didn't start getting tattoos much until the mid 90s, with Dennis Rodman and the like. I think the rest of society was pretty similar, you started seeing more "square" types getting tattoos in the mid to late 90s while before then they had always been seen as kind of risque or even trashy.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/30/12 at 11:36 pm

Heck, you wanna talk about not main stream, there's a famous stripper who has a giant spider web tattoo on her buttocks and centered in her bung hole.  I'd post the pics, but I'd get banned for life!
:D

Check for new replies or respond here...