inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is it really accurate to call Generation Y "digital natives?"

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 10/17/12 at 3:54 pm

I personally think the term "digital native" is a misnomer, or rather more accurately applies to Gen Z. I think "native" implies that they were literally born or started developing memories when the technology already existed/was widely used. I would think that term would mostly apply to those born in the late 90s and 2000s, up to today (Gen Z).

I would say Gen Y is highly adaptable to new technology, but they are no more native to it than Gen X or Baby Boomers are.

Subject: Re: Is it really accurate to call Generation Y "digital natives?"

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/19/12 at 1:32 pm

It depends what 'digital' really means. You shouldn't forget that computers and Audio CDs were already digital technology and everything existed when generation Y was born or when they were toddlers. The 80's actually were very digital already - and of course the 90's. Just think of NES or Super Nintendo which were typical gadgets that Generation Y had when they were little.

I would agree with your statement when it comes to the World Wide Web though.

Written By: joeman on 10/20/12 at 10:35 am

I personally think the term "digital native" is a misnomer, or rather more accurately applies to Gen Z. I think "native" implies that they were literally born or started developing memories when the technology already existed/was widely used. I would think that term would mostly apply to those born in the late 90s and 2000s, up to today (Gen Z).

I would say Gen Y is highly adaptable to new technology, but they are no more native to it than Gen X or Baby Boomers are.

I think Gen Y is digital natives is pretty accurate.  The internet became huge in 1996/1997 and Gen Y were mostly under the age of 10 at the time.  Gen Y grew up under technology.  IF it wasn't the case, then we would have people born in 2005 posting on the internet, which isn't the case because little kids usually don't develop a sense of themselves and opinions.

Written By: Forest on 10/20/12 at 10:49 pm

I think Gen Y is digital natives is pretty accurate.  The internet became huge in 1996/1997 and Gen Y were mostly under the age of 10 at the time.  Gen Y grew up under technology.  IF it wasn't the case, then we would have people born in 2005 posting on the internet, which isn't the case because little kids usually don't develop a sense of themselves and opinions.

Gen Y at least remember a life before all the high-tech really took over (for example, YouTube) which is something at least most people in Gen Z couldn't say.

Written By: af2010 on 10/21/12 at 4:08 am

I kind of agree.  Although digital technology existed (albeit to a smaller extent) before the first gen Yers were even born, the term "digital native" kind of makes me think of 8 year-olds with smartphones, which would be more of a Gen Z thing.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/21/12 at 8:02 am

Gen Y at least remember a life before all the high-tech really took over

That's actually the aspect that distinguishes Y from Z.

Written By: Forest on 10/21/12 at 6:26 pm

I kind of agree.  Although digital technology existed (albeit to a smaller extent) before the first gen Yers were even born, the term "digital native" kind of makes me think of 8 year-olds with smartphones, which would be more of a Gen Z thing.

Exactly. People born in the late 90s and 2000s have never understood that people actually once were healthy and could play sports instead of being fat elephants on YouTube all day. People could actually walk to the store and back home without breaking a sweat instead of collapsing at the mailbox. Of course, I'm overcooking the truth but seriously, things have changed.

Written By: whistledog on 10/21/12 at 11:14 pm

Exactly. People born in the late 90s and 2000s have never understood that people actually once were healthy and could play sports instead of being fat elephants on YouTube all day. People could actually walk to the store and back home without breaking a sweat instead of collapsing at the mailbox. Of course, I'm overcooking the truth but seriously, things have changed.

QUIT BLOWING SMOKE AND START POSTING THINGS THAT MAKE SENSE!

http://commonsensepoliticalthought.com/wp-content/Gore_blowing_smoke.jpg

Written By: Forest on 10/21/12 at 11:28 pm

QUIT BLOWING SMOKE AND START POSTING THINGS THAT MAKE SENSE!

http://commonsensepoliticalthought.com/wp-content/Gore_blowing_smoke.jpg

Is that a hobby of yours now? Because it's getting real old. And like I said in the comment I "overcooked the truth" so if it doesn't make sense...never mind, I could say the sky looks blue and you'd probably still post that silly thing.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/27/12 at 1:46 pm

I think it's accurate. I mean calculators were big by the 70's and those are digital. Someone born in 1979 hypothetically could have started using a computer when they were 3 years old. I do think anyone born before the mid 90's could remember a time before the "global village" became a reality though. The Internet was too primitive in the dial up days and too limited to the Western world in the 90's and early 00's for it to really count as the Global Age.

Written By: Forest on 10/27/12 at 2:20 pm

I think it's accurate. I mean calculators were big by the 70's and those are digital. Someone born in 1979 hypothetically could have started using a computer when they were 3 years old. I do think anyone born before the mid 90's could remember a time before the "global village" became a reality though. The Internet was too primitive in the dial up days and too limited to the Western world in the 90's and early 00's for it to really count as the Global Age.

Definitley. Now you can go to YouTube and watch a video of someone's experience at a vacation trip. Sure, someone could bring home a video camera for a number of years before the mid-00s, for their friends and family to watch but it's not quite the same as having YouTube with fast internet to search for someone's video capture of an international experience.

Check for new replies or respond here...