inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Songs that were written/recorded well before they were hits

Written By: belmont22 on 11/01/12 at 8:05 pm

Some examples I can think of

Creep - Radiohead. Actually written in 1987 but not recorded until 1993
I Would Walk 500 Miles - Proclaimers - From 1988 originally but not successful until 1993
Lights - Ellie Goulding - Originally from 2009 but not a hit in America until 2012
Ice Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice - Originally from 1989 but not a hit until summer 1990
Macarena - Originally from 1992, but not a hit in the West until 1996

Subject: Re: Songs that were written/recorded well before they were hits

Written By: belmont22 on 11/01/12 at 8:06 pm

And for what it's worth, Bohemian Rhapsody re-charted in 1993 because of Freddie's death and Wayne's World.

Written By: whistledog on 11/01/12 at 8:47 pm

There was a group from Toronto called Love Inc.  They had a bunch of hits in Canada between 1997-2000.  Two of these songs:  Broken Bones (1997) and You're a Superstar (1998) both became Top 40 hits in the UK in 2002

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Mw11VOkbW0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_zLBsRYD8w

I Would Walk 500 Miles - Proclaimers - From 1988 originally but not successful until 1993

Just because I can ...

The actual title of that song is I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) :P

Written By: belmont22 on 11/01/12 at 8:48 pm

The actual title of that song is I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) :P

:P It's a good song nonetheless. Though annoying in large doses probably.  :) ;)

Written By: whistledog on 11/01/12 at 8:52 pm

In 1983, Reggae singer Marcia Griffiths released a song called Electric Boogie.  It never charted, but when it was re-released in 1989, it peaked at #51 in the US.  It still holds the record as the highest selling single by a female reggae artist.  It is included in the Xbox 360 game Dance Central 3 and as a downloadable track on the Playstation 3 game Everybody Dance (or DanceStar Party for the world outside of North America)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mOY2eWO2qw&feature=fvst

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 11/01/12 at 9:00 pm

Ice Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice - Originally from 1989 but not a hit until summer 1990

Well, aren't the vast majority of songs about a year or several months old before they become hits?

"Love Will Lead You Back", a huge hit in 1990, was from Taylor Dayne's 1989 album. Same with Janet Jackson's 1990 hits from Rhythm Nation 1814.

An even better example is "It Must Have Been Love" by Roxette. It became a huge hit after it was used in Pretty Woman but the song itself was originally written and recorded as a Christmas song in 1987.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/01/12 at 9:06 pm

Well, aren't the vast majority of songs about a year or several months old before they become hits?

"Love Will Lead You Back", a huge hit in 1990, was from Taylor Dayne's 1989 album. Same with Janet Jackson's 1990 hits from Rhythm Nation 1814.

An even better example is "It Must Have Been Love" by Roxette. It became a huge hit after it was used in Pretty Woman but the song itself was originally written and recorded as a Christmas song in 1987.

That's true, I just included it because most people don't realize it's actually an 80s song. It wasn't just recorded in 1989 it was actually released then, then re-released on his re-done album, so I would say it counts as both an 80s and a 90s song.

Good point I totally forgot about that Roxette song. I think they re-recorded certain parts of it but it's still essentially the same song it was in 1987. I wonder if the original version exists. I love that song :)

Written By: whistledog on 11/01/12 at 9:09 pm

Here is the piece de resistance ...

Shaving Cream was a 1946 novelty song by Benny Bell.  In 1975 (due to airplay on the Dr. Demento radio show), it was released as a single and peaked at #30 on the Billboard Hot 100.  It was at the time, the oldest song to chart in the US Top 40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wSzPBy0GgI

Written By: Jquar on 11/01/12 at 11:38 pm

Red Red Wine by UB40, originally from 1983. Charted at #1 in the UK and #34 in the US. Re released in 1988 and finally went to #1 in U.S.

The Twist by Chubby Checker, the Grover Cleveland of #1 hits. Hit #1 in 1960, then faded. Hit #1 again in 1962 after parents started buying it. Only song to hit #1 two separate times.

Written By: Jquar on 11/01/12 at 11:40 pm

A few months after Red Red Wine hit #1 in the US, When I'm With You by Sheriff got to #1 in 1989 six years after its original release. From Wikipedia

"When I'm with You" was originally released as the third single off Sheriff's debut album. The song reached #8 on the RPM charts in the band's native Canada, where it was their biggest hit. In the US, it entered the Hot 100 on May 14, 1983, and peaked at #61 four weeks later. Sometime thereafter, disappointed and frustrated by their continued lack of international success, the band broke up.
In 1988, a disc jockey in Las Vegas began playing the song, and other stations followed. This encouraged Capitol Records to re-release the song as a single. On February 4, 1989, "When I'm with You" hit number one in the United States. According to legend, lead vocalist Freddy Curci was working as a pizza delivery boy when he was informed that the song had reached number one"

Fun Fact: This was the last song to reach #1 in the U.S. without a music video.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/02/12 at 4:03 am

"Puttin' on the Ritz" is a popular song written and published in 1929 by Irving Berlin and introduced by Harry Richman in the musical film Puttin' on the Ritz (1930).

A synthpop version by Taco peaked at #4 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in September 1983. It was released from his LP After Eight. It includes a tap dance solo in the middle to honor Astaire. Also included in the recording are parts of "Always", "White Christmas", "Alexander's Ragtime Band", "There's No Business Like Show Business" (all written by Irving Berlin), and "Gotta Dance" from Singin' in the Rain. This version of the song was ranked #53 in VH1's 100 Greatest One Hit Wonders of the 80s special.

That's 54 years.  :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/02/12 at 4:06 am

"Into the Night" is a 1980 song by American pop singer-songwriter Benny Mardones, from his album Never Run, Never Hide, and re-released in 1989, where it appeared on the album Benny Mardones.

Benny Mardones originally released "Into the Night" in June 1980. The song peaked at #11 on the Hot 100 for two weeks in September 1980, logging 20 weeks on the chart before falling off in late October.

In 1989, a Where Are They Now? Arizona radio segment spurred L.A. DJ Scott Shannon to add the song to his playlist, ultimately rocketing the song back onto the national charts, on May 6, 1989. Mardones' recording peaked this time at #20 the first week in July, adding 17 weeks to its previous run of 20, to add up to a total of 37 (nonconsecutive) weeks, breaking the record set by Laura Branigan with her single "Gloria", which charted for 36 (consecutive) weeks from July 1982 to March 1983, for the longest-charting single of the 1980s by a solo artist.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/02/12 at 4:07 am

Righteous Brothers, who charted "Unchained Melody" in 1965 and 1990.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/02/12 at 4:10 am

the Contours, who charted "Do You Love Me" in 1962 and 1988 due to it's use in Patrick Swayze's "Dirty Dancing" movie.

In fact, if I were a 60's musical act that made somewhat success, I'd have begged it to be included in any Patrick Swayze movie because, the same success was brought about for the Righteous Brothers when their song was used in the film "Ghost" (starring again, Patrick Swayze.)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/02/12 at 4:14 am

"At This Moment" is a song that was first recorded by Billy Vera & The Beaters in 1981 during a string of performances at the Roxy in West Hollywood (January 15–17) and featured on their self-titled live album, Billy and the Beaters, released that same year.

"At this Moment" stalled on the Billboard Hot 100 chart at #79 at the end of 1981. When the song was included on several episodes of the NBC sitcom Family Ties during the 1985-86 season as the love song associated with Alex P. Keaton (played by Michael J. Fox) and his girlfriend Ellen Reed (played by Tracy Pollan, whom Fox eventually married in real life), the exposure renewed interest in the song. Reissue label Rhino Entertainment purchased the track from the band's original record label, Alfa (which was by then inactive), and re-released it in its original version. The tune then began a revived chart run, eventually hitting #1 on both the Billboard Hot 100 and Adult Contemporary charts in January 1987. It quickly sold over a million copies in the United States, becoming one of the last Gold-certified singles in the 45 RPM format. The song crossed over to the R&B and Country formats, reaching #40 on the Country Singles chart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK0hl0u26t0

Written By: karen on 11/02/12 at 5:55 am

Stand By Me by Ben E King

reached #27 in the UK charts when it was first released in 1961.

It recharted in 1987 and went to #1.  this was after the release of the film of the same title and also the song was used in an advert for Levis 501's

Written By: warped on 11/02/12 at 6:13 am

I seem to recall that 'West end girls" by the Pet Shop boys was released in (1983? 1984?) and then released again a year or two later with better success

"Nobody told me" John Lennon was released in early 1984, but was written before that, (no shyt?) in 1980.

"Got to get you into my life" Beatles was released in 1966, and re- released in 1976, where it did well on the charts.

"Nights in white satin " Moody Blues was written and released in 1967. Re-released in 1972 and did very well in the charts. I know it peaked at #1 in Canada in 1972.

Written By: warped on 11/02/12 at 6:19 am

Oh, another one I just remembered.

"Boys don't cry" - The Cure was released in 1979 or 1980 or something like that but re-released in 1986 (I think) and that's when I heard it the first time.

Written By: Henk on 11/02/12 at 6:21 am

"Nights in white satin " Moody Blues was written and released in 1967. Re-released in 1972 and did very well in the charts. I know it peaked at #1 in Canada in 1972.

Nights In White Satin was already a hit in 1967 in other parts of the world (UK #19, NL #2), so I don't think it meets the criteria.

Written By: warped on 11/02/12 at 6:28 am

Nights In White Satin was already a hit in 1967 in other parts of the world (UK #19, NL #2), so I don't think it meets the criteria.

Understood, maybe just for Canada then (don't know about the USA)

Written By: Henk on 11/02/12 at 6:32 am

Understood, maybe just for Canada then (don't know about the USA)

It only made #103 on its original release, but peaked at #2 in 1972. So I'd say that's a 'yes'.

Written By: Paul on 11/02/12 at 8:09 am

Robin Sarstedt (brother of Peter and Eden Kane) had a hit in 1976 with 'My Resistance Is Low' which was originally written and recorded by Hoagy Carmichael way back in 1950...

(I guess it qualifies by default, as the original would have charted if we'd had record charts at the time!)

Written By: whistledog on 11/02/12 at 4:21 pm

I seem to recall that 'West end girls" by the Pet Shop boys was released in (1983? 1984?) and then released again a year or two later with better success

1984 was when it was written and first released.

West End Girls first charted in Pet Shop Boys' native UK in November of 1985 at #80, rising to #1 in January of 1986. 

In Canada, it first appeared in the chart in April of 1985 and peaked at #81 in June of 1985 before falling off the chart that same month.  When it was re-released, it re-entered the Canadian chart in March of 1986, rising to #1 in May of 1986. 

In the US, it first entered the chart in March 1986 and reached #1 in the US in May of 1986

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/02/12 at 4:29 pm

the Contours, who charted "Do You Love Me" in 1962 and 1988 due to it's use in Patrick Swayze's "Dirty Dancing" movie.

In fact, if I were a 60's musical act that made somewhat success, I'd have begged it to be included in any Patrick Swayze movie because, the same success was brought about for the Righteous Brothers when their song was used in the film "Ghost" (starring again, Patrick Swayze.)

Same can be said for Love is Strange by Mickey & Silvia which was in Dirty Dance.

You Lost That Loving Feeling by The Righteous Brothers also had a boost from Top Gun.

Cat

Written By: Jquar on 11/02/12 at 10:24 pm

How about a really recent example of this. I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston, a #1 hit back in 1992-93, got to #3 on the charts in February 2012 after her death. I Wanna Dance With Somebody got to #25 in 2012 after hitting #1 in 1987. Just goes to show that sometimes dying can resurrect your career a bit.

Check for new replies or respond here...