inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What was the first car you ever drove?

Written By: warped on 11/02/12 at 2:36 pm

The first one I ever drove was my dad’s 1976 Plymouth Fury. I drove it halfway around the block. I’m not a guy who has a passion for automobiles generally, but it was an exciting moment in my life. Driving for the first time usually is. 

What was the first car you ever drove on the street?
Was it very exciting for you too?

Subject: Re: What was the first car you ever drove?

Written By: snozberries on 11/02/12 at 2:56 pm

my parents bought a car for me before I ever got my lic...it was 1985/86  and they got me a 1974 Volvo...that thing was a freaking tank!!! I miss it!!!  that was the first car I drove

Written By: amjikloviet on 11/02/12 at 3:13 pm

Let's see...I was about 16 when I first drove one of my father's cars. It was a Honda Accord 1991 model. I remember I drove it around the school I went to and did very well. I was so excited that day. That was in 1996.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/02/12 at 4:23 pm

I don't recall what it was-it was the school's Driver's Ed car. I had never been behind the wheel before, I didn't know sh!t about driving, any of the controls, etc. The teacher just ASSUMED that everyone knew all of that. I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. It was on a narrow, curving road and I was petrified. The road then went over a very narrow bridge. After I crossed the bridge, he had me turn the car around and I had to go BACK over it. Oy vey!

This teacher was TERRIBLE. One of the places we would ALWAYS go when driving with him was to his Post Office-so he could check his mail.  ::)  He would make all these hand signals to you. HELLO? My eyes are supposed to be on the road, NOT on you. And then he had this nasty cough. He would be coughing up a storm next to me. I though he was going to die. Needless to say, I didn't learn diddly squat in Driver's Ed.

Then my first husband tried to teach me. He didn't cough, just yelled. "What the f*** are you doing?" One time, he was trying to teach me to parallel park and he was cussing up a storm. I stopped the car and said, "GET OUT!!!" He did and I parallel parks without any problem. It is amazing that I learned to drive at all.

Cat

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/03/12 at 4:25 am

The first car I ever drove was this kind of 1990 Golf II in the summer of 2004. I was practising on a parking lot together with my grandpa in his car:

http://www.fahrzeugbilder.de/1024/vw-golf-ii-gtd-heckansicht-50931.jpg

The first car I drove on a real street was a 2004 Golf V in my first driving lesson; aswell in the summer of 2004:

http://www.sr-car-expert.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Golf-5-GT-Fahrt.jpg

Written By: loki 13 on 11/03/12 at 7:56 am

A 1973 Ford Torino with a 351 Windsor V8, man I loved that car. In 1992 I threw a rod, right through the oil pan
on the Ben Franklin Bridge. That is the last I saw of that beauty, if I knew then what I know now I'd still have it.

Written By: warped on 11/03/12 at 8:00 am

A 1973 Ford Torino with a 351 Windsor V8, man I loved that car. In 1992 I threw a rod, right through the oil pan
on the Ben Franklin Bridge. That is the last I saw of that beauty, if I knew then what I know now I'd still have it.

Just prior to the '76 Fury my dad owned, we had a Gran Torino (was it a '73?). Good car.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/03/12 at 8:14 am

My dads 1967 Ford Galaxie.  He taught me how to drive with it (his didn't have the racing stripes)

http://image.streetrodderweb.com/f/9729193+w750+st0/0804sr_07_z+1967_ford_galaxie_500+.jpg

Written By: belmont22 on 11/03/12 at 3:02 pm

I'm almost 23 and I've still never driven a car.  ;D

Written By: Brian06 on 11/03/12 at 4:25 pm

I believe it was the '89 Ford Tempo my dad had back in 2003 when I had just gotten my temporary license.

Written By: nally on 11/03/12 at 4:26 pm

Our 1992 Toyota Camry, which we still have today. I first drove it when I was almost 27, in mid-2007.

Written By: warped on 11/03/12 at 5:02 pm

Our 1992 Toyota Camry, which we still have today. I first drove it when I was almost 27, in mid-2007.

Wow, how come it took you till age 27 to drive for the first time? Just didn't feel like it before?

Written By: nally on 11/03/12 at 5:05 pm

Wow, how come it took you till age 27 to drive for the first time? Just didn't feel like it before?

That's part of it. I actually didn't feel any sort of motivation to get my driver's license when I was in my teens. But I'm glad I finally did...

And we still have that car, almost 21 years after we bought it brand-new.

Written By: whistledog on 11/03/12 at 6:51 pm

I didn't start driving until I was 29.  I had my G1 (temporary license) since 2002, but didn't get my G2 until 2007 when I got a job where I worked out of the city and had no way to get home.  First car I ever drove was a 1999 Pontiac Sunfire

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/04/12 at 12:01 am

I think this was the model.  I'm not sure.  1984 Mercedes 280 S.  It still had that new car smell.

http://c.barat.free.fr/museum/pictures/280s1.jpg

Here's the story.  No names.  At the time my aunt was married to a famous folk singer.  We were at their plush pad in a tony Boston suburb and there was little party with some wine, and joints, and my uncle the folk singer did a line or two in the powder room.  I was sober 'cos I was only fifteen.  He was all jazzed up and talking to my brother-in-law about cars.  I made the mistake of saying I didn't know how to drive yet.  He glanced over at me, perked his ears, and said in his mild North Carolina drawl, "Well, sheeeit, I'm takin' you out drivin'!"  I declined, but he insisted, and soon enough we were in the garage looking at his new Mercedes. 
"That...you want me to drive that?"
(chicka-chicka-ohhh yeah!)
"Sher thing!," he chirped, "It's an automatic you can't mess up too bad."
It was too late to solicit his insurance underwriter's opinion, and I was already turning the key behind the wheel of Germany's finest engineering. 
I stressed to my uncle while the engine idled that I'd never driven anything other than a lawn mower, but he just grinned and nodded towards shift console.  I backed carefully out of the garage and shifted into drive. 
"Uh, try not to smash into my stone wall," my uncle advised as my side of the car swerved over his lawn. 
And there I was on balmy summer night driving a new Mercedes-Benz in one of greater Boston's most exclusive enclaves.  You'd think a 15-year-old would feel like the King of Siam right about then, but I just had butterflies churning.  I didn't know what I'd do if I f**ked up my uncles car.  He gave crisp instructions on signalling, turning, acceleration, and decelartion.  He might have been high, stoned, and drunk, but he could have taken a second career as a driver ed instructor!  There wasn't much out there but fields and mansions.  My uncle made me stop several times so he could jump out and pick up discarded fast food wrappers. 
"I really wish folks wouldn't use my neighborhood for a garbage can," he grumbled in a good natured way.  The car handled like a dream.  Never had an easier ride since.  I was grateful my uncle didn't direct me to Route 128 so I could "open'er up."  I'm not much for puking on another man's leather seats.
Soon we were back in my uncle's drive way.  I awkwardly thanked my uncle for the driving lesson. 
"Hey, it's my pleasure! Anything for a friend."  We went back into the house and he cracked two beers.
Maybe I'll get the chance to drive a Benz again before I die and maybe not, but that's the first car I ever drove!
8)

Written By: snozberries on 11/04/12 at 11:40 am

I didn't start driving until I was 29.  I had my G1 (temporary license) since 2002, but didn't get my G2 until 2007 when I got a job where I worked out of the city and had no way to get home.  First car I ever drove was a 1999 Pontiac Sunfire

I didn't think they had cars in Canada...

:D

Written By: warped on 11/04/12 at 11:58 am

We have 5 of them

(looks out window, sees a car crash into an igloo)

OK, we have 4 of them now. 

Written By: snozberries on 11/04/12 at 12:19 pm

We have 5 of them

(looks out window, sees a car crash into an igloo)

OK, we have 4 of them now.

;D

Written By: nally on 11/04/12 at 4:36 pm

;D

my thoughts exactly ;)

Written By: whistledog on 11/04/12 at 5:30 pm

:D

We used to use dog sleds, but my dog sled broke because I forgot to feed the dogs :D

Written By: belmont22 on 11/04/12 at 5:44 pm

We used to use dog sleds, but my dog sled broke because I forgot to feed the dogs :D

I thought you rode moose.  ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/04/12 at 6:08 pm

My dad had a 1965 Chevy Biscayne, and when I was about 4 or 5 years old he'd let me climb up on his on his lap and steer the car while he'd drive down the street. He finally junked it when I was about 9 or 10 so I never actually got to drive it, and I always wish I could have because it had a 3-speed column-mounted manual transmission (or "three-on-the-tree," as they were called back then) and I think it would have been cool to learn how to drive that car.

(Not my dad's Biscayne but this is pretty much what it looked like.)
http://www.collectorcarads.com/Picture1/Biscayne03.jpg

The first car I actually did drive was my parents' 1977 Pontiac Ventura.

(like this, only ours was maroon:)
http://www.classiccarcatalogue.com/P/pontiac%201977%20ventura%20sedan.jpg

I was about 14 and my mom was out driving in the country and she asked me if I wanted to drive for a little while. I did, but I was afraid to go faster than 45 mph. It was still pretty fun though.

Written By: warped on 11/04/12 at 6:16 pm

My dad had a 1965 Chevy Biscayne, and when I was about 4 or 5 years old he'd let me climb up on his on his lap and steer the car while he'd drive down the street. He finally junked it when I was about 9 or 10 so I never actually got to drive it, and I always wish I could have because it had a 3-speed column-mounted manual transmission (or "three-on-the-tree," as they were called back then) and I think it would have been cool to learn how to drive that car.

Our good friends had a '68 or '69 Biscayne. We travelled in that car often. I have good memories of it. The car owner loved Biscaynes and had bought them since the 50s and he was pissed when they stopped making them in the 70s.

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/04/12 at 8:03 pm

I think this was the model.  I'm not sure.  1984 Mercedes 280 S.  It still had that new car smell.

Sweet ride... those things are all over the west coast.  Diesel versions are popular with the eco-hipster crowd because they'll run on any kind of biodiesel you can brew up.  Ridiculously overbuilt and overengineered, they'll still be roadworthy for another 30 years.  If I had to cast a vote for the last internal combustion engine running after the collapse of civilization, it'd be one of those.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a0/1977_Chevette.jpg/320px-1977_Chevette.jpg

My first was a GM Chevette.  Think of a subcompact hatchback, with barely 50 horsepower.  On the upside, it got 40 MPG, and while I couldn't get a speeding ticket if I'd tried, it had rear wheel drive so I could still learn to drift in the snow.  Favorite memory was annoyed the driving instructor when she asked me to "turn around here" - she thought I'd make a 3-point turn into a driveway on a 2-lane residential street, and I did a U-turn because I knew I had plenty of room for it.  Tires never came close to the curb, LOL.

Written By: Dagwood on 11/04/12 at 9:02 pm

The first car I actually did drive was my parents' 1977 Pontiac Ventura.

(like this, only ours was maroon:)
http://www.classiccarcatalogue.com/P/pontiac%201977%20ventura%20sedan.jpg

I was about 14 and my mom was out driving in the country and she asked me if I wanted to drive for a little while. I did, but I was afraid to go faster than 45 mph. It was still pretty fun though.

Oh my goodness, that looks like my first car, a 79 Pontiac Phoenix.  It was a white 4 door but the body style was a little different.  Mine was more square.  Man I hated that car. ;D

The first one I ever drove was probably my sisters LTD.  Don't remember the year but that dang thing was a boat. 

Written By: Goodogbadog on 11/04/12 at 9:05 pm

I don't recall what it was-it was the school's Driver's Ed car. I had never been behind the wheel before, I didn't know sh!t about driving, any of the controls, etc. The teacher just ASSUMED that everyone knew all of that. I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. It was on a narrow, curving road and I was petrified. The road then went over a very narrow bridge. After I crossed the bridge, he had me turn the car around and I had to go BACK over it. Oy vey!

This teacher was TERRIBLE. One of the places we would ALWAYS go when driving with him was to his Post Office-so he could check his mail.  ::)  He would make all these hand signals to you. HELLO? My eyes are supposed to be on the road, NOT on you. And then he had this nasty cough. He would be coughing up a storm next to me. I though he was going to die. Needless to say, I didn't learn diddly squat in Driver's Ed.

Then my first husband tried to teach me. He didn't cough, just yelled. "What the f*** are you doing?" One time, he was trying to teach me to parallel park and he was cussing up a storm. I stopped the car and said, "GET OUT!!!" He did and I parallel parks without any problem. It is amazing that I learned to drive at all.

Cat

WHAT a funny description of your driving  lessons!! LOL!! ROFL!!  hacking up a storm, cussing up a storm, making hand signals HELLO? My eyes are supposed to be on the ROAD, get it, dude? WHAT the F- are you DOING?!!  "GET OUT!"
BACK over the bridge!!... just wonderful!

Written By: Goodogbadog on 11/04/12 at 9:07 pm

OMG this is the funniest thread I've ever seen!!  ;D

Written By: Goodogbadog on 11/04/12 at 9:11 pm

http://c.barat.free.fr/museum/pictures/280s1.jpg

Here's the story.  No names.  At the time my aunt was married to a famous folk singer.  We were at their plush pad in a tony Boston suburb and there was little party with some wine, and joints, and my uncle the folk singer did a line or two in the powder room.  I was sober 'cos I was only fifteen.  He was all jazzed up and talking to my brother-in-law about cars.  I made the mistake of saying I didn't know how to drive yet.  He glanced over at me, perked his ears, and said in his mild North Carolina drawl, "Well, sheeeit, I'm takin' you out drivin'!"  I declined, but he insisted, and soon enough we were in the garage looking at his new Mercedes. 
"That...you want me to drive that?"
(chicka-chicka-ohhh yeah!)
"Sher thing!," he chirped, "It's an automatic you can't mess up too bad."
It was too late to solicit his insurance underwriter's opinion, and I was already turning the key behind the wheel of Germany's finest engineering. 
I stressed to my uncle while the engine idled that I'd never driven anything other than a lawn mower, but he just grinned and nodded towards shift console.  I backed carefully out of the garage and shifted into drive. 
"Uh, try not to smash into my stone wall," my uncle advised as my side of the car swerved over his lawn. 
And there I was on balmy summer night driving a new Mercedes-Benz in one of greater Boston's most exclusive enclaves.  You'd think a 15-year-old would feel like the King of Siam right about then, but I just had butterflies churning.  I didn't know what I'd do if I f**ked up my uncles car.  He gave crisp instructions on signalling, turning, acceleration, and decelartion.  He might have been high, stoned, and drunk, but he could have taken a second career as a driver ed instructor!  There wasn't much out there but fields and mansions.  My uncle made me stop several times so he could jump out and pick up discarded fast food wrappers. 
"I really wish folks wouldn't use my neighborhood for a garbage can," he grumbled in a good natured way.  The car handled like a dream.  Never had an easier ride since.  I was grateful my uncle didn't direct me to Route 128 so I could "open'er up."  I'm not much for puking on another man's leather seats.
Soon we were back in my uncle's drive way.  I awkwardly thanked my uncle for the driving lesson. 
"Hey, it's my pleasure! Anything for a friend."  We went back into the house and he cracked two beers.
Maybe I'll get the chance to drive a Benz again before I die and maybe not, but that's the first car I ever drove!
8)

OMG, this has just gotta go in your BOOK!!  ;D

Written By: Goodogbadog on 11/04/12 at 9:18 pm

Um... car? I was born with a steering wheel in my hands...  Doesn't that sound cool?  Actually, heh-heh. I DON'T REMEMBER ! what the first car I drove was. Might have been the driver-ed car.  But I can tell you what I felt, which may account for my not being able to remember the car ... breath-holding FEAR!!    :o

Written By: Jason R on 11/07/12 at 11:26 pm

My fist car I drove was a Ford pick-up truck.  My first car was a 1990 Camaro Iroc Z.  I got it when I turned 16 in 1992.  It was an awesome car.  All I wanted to do was drive it all the time.  It had a very loud sound system, but I always turned it down late at night.  I was a nice kid but I got in some trouble driving it (ticket for littering, the next week a ticket for speeding, then another ticket for reckless driving).  I remember when my driving privliges were suspended for 3 months looking at the car in the driveway and not being able to drive it was unbearable.  I learned my lesson after that.  I kept that car until I was 21.

Check for new replies or respond here...