inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Solo artists marketed as bands?

Written By: Martin on 11/04/12 at 4:31 pm

Hello again! I want to know if there are any recording artists that were marketed as (faux) bands/groups at the beginning of their career and whether that's a good move?
I think the male bands are better regarded than male solo singers (especially in rock music). So I want to know if there's a possibility for a male artist to mark his pop-rock or rock songs as a band instead?

Note: I'm not talking about bands that are mistaken for solo artists due to bearing the name of their front man/woman. (e.g. Sandra).

Subject: Re: Solo artists marketed as bands?

Written By: whistledog on 11/04/12 at 5:30 pm

Some bands that are bands are really just one guy.  For example:  can you name a member of Maroon 5 that isn't Adam Levine? lol

Written By: warped on 11/04/12 at 5:58 pm

Not sure if this qualifies, but Todd Rundgren went by "Runt" at the start of his career. Even though "Runt" was an actual band, he pretty much ran the show. I'll let Whistledog or Henk confirm if this qualifies or not.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/05/12 at 7:47 am

Owl City is pretty much just Adam Young, even though he has a touring band that puts on an epic show.

Written By: whistledog on 11/05/12 at 8:33 am

Not sure if this qualifies, but Todd Rundgren went by "Runt" at the start of his career. Even though "Runt" was an actual band, he pretty much ran the show. I'll let Whistledog or Henk confirm if this qualifies or not.

That one definately qualifies.

Written By: Henk on 11/05/12 at 9:25 am

The first "band" that comes to mind would be The The, which I feel has simply been a moniker for Matt Johnson (solo) from the get-go.

I'm not entirely sure if this is what you're looking for, because technically, The The have been a band - or at least something of a band - at various stages of their career, the only constant member being Matt Johnson.

Written By: whistledog on 11/05/12 at 9:33 am

The first "band" that comes to mind would be The The, which I feel has simply been a moniker for Matt Johnson (solo) from the get-go.

I'm not entirely sure if this is what you're looking for, because technically, The The have been a band - or at least something of a band - at various stages of their career, the only constant member being Matt Johnson.

They definately count.  The only other member of The The I could name is Johnny Marr, but he was only with them briefly in the late 80s and early 90s

Written By: belmont22 on 11/26/12 at 2:19 am

Nine Inch Nails

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/26/12 at 3:28 am

Gloria Estefan (and the Miami Sound Machine)?

Enya (is actually a band comprising of Enya, Nicky Ryan and Roma Ryan in a creative and business partnership) so I guess that qualifies as the opposite to this topic, eh?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/26/12 at 5:39 am

Guns N' Roses should really be called the Axl Rose Orchestra.  ;D

Written By: Starde on 11/29/12 at 8:03 pm

Sade (band named after lead singer Sade Adu):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP3D0ZVc0nw

Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5m8lj5DCtI

Written By: nally on 11/22/18 at 6:07 pm

^ I could've sworn Sade was a female soloist.

Anyways...there is confusion about the music act Nena, of "99 Luftballoons" fame. Singer Gabrielle Kerner acquired the nickname 'Nena' during her childhood, and then later formed a band with the same name. The band Nena consisted of other members, all guys, who played instruments. Later on, after the band broke up, the singer kept the name for herself.

The same could apply to Blondie, which was a nickname for singer Deborah Harry due to her hair, but the name stuck with the band.

Written By: nally on 11/22/18 at 6:14 pm

As for the question posed in the thread title, I could think of a few... which would qualify as "one person bands"...

M (of "Pop Muzik" fame)
White Town (90's one hit wonder with "Your Woman"; sole member is Jyoti Mishra, India-born/British-based male musician)
Five For Fighting

Written By: piecesof93 on 11/22/18 at 6:22 pm

Maroon 5 & Panic @ Tha Disco

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/22/18 at 6:52 pm

In the 70s there was the T. Rex, which was essentially a vehicle for the late great Marc Bolan.  If they are too far before your time you owe it to yourself to check them out. In the 80s came the Waterboys who still go strong today, but the name the Waterboys is just a vehicle for whatever Mike Scott happens to be doing at the time and whoever he happens to be working with. More recently there is Iron & Wine which is basically just Sam Beam.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/23/18 at 8:10 am

In the 70s there was the T. Rex, which was essentially a vehicle for the late great Marc Bolan.  If they are too far before your time you owe it to yourself to check them out. In the 80s came the Waterboys who still go strong today, but the name the Waterboys is just a vehicle for whatever Mike Scott happens to be doing at the time and whoever he happens to be working with. More recently there is Iron & Wine which is basically just Sam Beam.
Side tracking a little bit here, I went to the location of the memorial for car crash Marc Bolan was killed the other day, is is located on a busy road and I could not get a decent photo without standing in the road itself, it was dangerous to stand there.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/23/18 at 3:29 pm

Side tracking a little bit here, I went to the location of the memorial for car crash Marc Bolan was killed the other day, is is located on a busy road and I could not get a decent photo without standing in the road itself, it was dangerous to stand there.

I love Bolan. I saw T. Rex live back in 1973. People KNEW how to be stars in those days.  ;D  ;)  8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzXD3sEzqUY

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/23/18 at 3:32 pm

I love Bolan. I saw T. Rex live back in 1973. People KNEW how to be stars in those days.  ;D  ;)  8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzXD3sEzqUY
O0

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/23/18 at 3:58 pm

O0

I can always tell when someone is from the UK. Bolan is practically the patron saint over there for people "of a certain age" who were young when he was in his heyday.  He wasn't as big over here, but those of us who were hip knew him. ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/23/18 at 4:00 pm

I can always tell when someone is from the UK. Bolan is practically the patron saint over there for people "of a certain age" who were young when he was in his heyday.  He wasn't as big over here, but those of us who were hip knew him. ;)
when I was at school, Marc Bolan was at his prime, and one classmate was obsessed with him, I have no idea what happened to him when we left school.

Written By: whistledog on 11/25/18 at 12:39 pm

Some might say the band Simply Red.  Singer Mick Hucknall is the face, voice and songwriter of the band and the only original member still in it

Some could also argue Culture Club.  They are 100% a band and all 4 current members have been there since day one, have all been involved in the writing of the songs, and have appeared on the album covers and singles.  At the end of the day though, none of the other members have had a real noticeable presence vocally, and their recent 2018 release was credited to Boy George and Culture Club

Scottish rock band Texas.  3 of the current members have been there since day one, but through almost all of their albums, lead singer Sharleen Spiteri has been the face of this band

Written By: nally on 11/25/18 at 4:00 pm

Some might say the band Simply Red.  Singer Mick Hucknall is the face, voice and songwriter of the band and the only original member still in it

Oh yeah, I was thinkin' of that too.

Just like Iva Davies in the Australian band Icehouse. He's been the only permanent member in the band's 40+ year history, serving as lead vocalist the whole time.

Check for new replies or respond here...