inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Solo artists marketed as bands?

Written By: Martin on 11/04/12 at 4:31 pm

Hello again! I want to know if there are any recording artists that were marketed as (faux) bands/groups at the beginning of their career and whether that's a good move?
I think the male bands are better regarded than male solo singers (especially in rock music). So I want to know if there's a possibility for a male artist to mark his pop-rock or rock songs as a band instead?

Note: I'm not talking about bands that are mistaken for solo artists due to bearing the name of their front man/woman. (e.g. Sandra).

Subject: Re: Solo artists marketed as bands?

Written By: whistledog on 11/04/12 at 5:30 pm

Some bands that are bands are really just one guy.  For example:  can you name a member of Maroon 5 that isn't Adam Levine? lol

Written By: warped on 11/04/12 at 5:58 pm

Not sure if this qualifies, but Todd Rundgren went by "Runt" at the start of his career. Even though "Runt" was an actual band, he pretty much ran the show. I'll let Whistledog or Henk confirm if this qualifies or not.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/05/12 at 7:47 am

Owl City is pretty much just Adam Young, even though he has a touring band that puts on an epic show.

Written By: whistledog on 11/05/12 at 8:33 am

Not sure if this qualifies, but Todd Rundgren went by "Runt" at the start of his career. Even though "Runt" was an actual band, he pretty much ran the show. I'll let Whistledog or Henk confirm if this qualifies or not.

That one definately qualifies.

Written By: Henk on 11/05/12 at 9:25 am

The first "band" that comes to mind would be The The, which I feel has simply been a moniker for Matt Johnson (solo) from the get-go.

I'm not entirely sure if this is what you're looking for, because technically, The The have been a band - or at least something of a band - at various stages of their career, the only constant member being Matt Johnson.

Written By: whistledog on 11/05/12 at 9:33 am

The first "band" that comes to mind would be The The, which I feel has simply been a moniker for Matt Johnson (solo) from the get-go.

I'm not entirely sure if this is what you're looking for, because technically, The The have been a band - or at least something of a band - at various stages of their career, the only constant member being Matt Johnson.

They definately count.  The only other member of The The I could name is Johnny Marr, but he was only with them briefly in the late 80s and early 90s

Written By: belmont22 on 11/26/12 at 2:19 am

Nine Inch Nails

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/26/12 at 3:28 am

Gloria Estefan (and the Miami Sound Machine)?

Enya (is actually a band comprising of Enya, Nicky Ryan and Roma Ryan in a creative and business partnership) so I guess that qualifies as the opposite to this topic, eh?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/26/12 at 5:39 am

Guns N' Roses should really be called the Axl Rose Orchestra.  ;D

Written By: Starde on 11/29/12 at 8:03 pm

Sade (band named after lead singer Sade Adu):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP3D0ZVc0nw

Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5m8lj5DCtI

Check for new replies or respond here...