inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What will today seem old fashioned for in the future?

Written By: belmont22 on 11/10/12 at 5:48 am

I think people will see the 2010's as old fashioned for the fact medicine is still pretty crude, people still die of cancer, and only live about 80 years on average, there still isn't any human presence in space aside from probes, gay marriage is still being debated, racism is still fairly prevalent despite being more condemned, the death penalty is still used in many countries, and possibly they will see the fact royalty still exists as being old fashioned though I hope that the British monarchy at least stays around because I want some romance left in the world.

Subject: Re: What will today seem old fashioned for in the future?

Written By: snozberries on 11/10/12 at 8:26 am

Decadeology. And the seemingly obessesive need to analyze every aspect of a decade/pop culture to the nth degree.

Seriously. I personally can't wait til you get about 5-10 yrs older and you come back and read your posts.

Written By: warped on 11/10/12 at 12:42 pm

Decadeology. And the seemingly obessesive need to analyze every aspect of a decade/pop culture to the nth degree.

Arrgh, those decadeology posts. Like Ash said somewhere, makes my head explode. Good thing it is banned here.  Just like that annoying bee that flies around your house...I just wish those type of posts would go away.  For the life of me, I can't understand how people can argue about what they think the early and mid part of a decade is. 

Written By: whistledog on 11/10/12 at 3:01 pm

Old Fashioned Glazed Donuts

Written By: snozberries on 11/10/12 at 3:15 pm

Old Fashioned Glazed Donuts

day old Old Fashioned Glazed Donuts will seem even older!!!

Written By: whistledog on 11/10/12 at 3:28 pm

day old Old Fashioned Glazed Donuts will seem even older!!!

older than Betty White's sex drive

Written By: snozberries on 11/10/12 at 3:37 pm

older than Betty White's sex drive

dust in the wind...

Written By: DonnieDarko on 11/11/12 at 10:13 am

Seriously. I personally can't wait til you get about 5-10 yrs older and you come back and read your posts.

Actually, if you read the decadeology properly, it says that threads such as "How were the '80s percieved in the 90s" are okay, because it is encompassing. This can discuss how 1 and only 1 era (the 2010s) could be percieved in 20, 30 or even 40 years time (it just says "the future" making it more broad than "How the '10s will be percieved in the '30s" for example. Therefore, Belmont has done nothing wrong and it would be good to see if you come back and read this silly accusation 5-10 years later and if you are proud or if you are downright ashamed of yourself. Tsk tsk.

Written By: snozberries on 11/11/12 at 10:18 am

Actually, if you read the decadeology properly, it says that threads such as "How were the '80s percieved in the 90s" are okay, because it is encompassing. This can discuss how 1 and only 1 era (the 2010s) could be percieved in 20, 30 or even 40 years time (it just says "the future" making it more broad than "How the '10s will be percieved in the '30s" for example. Therefore, Belmont has done nothing wrong and it would be good to see if you come back and read this silly accusation 5-10 years later and if you are proud or if you are downright ashamed of yourself. Tsk tsk.

I will be fine with my assessment because it's not strictly decadeology that I have an issue with

it the incessant desire to analyze every aspect of every decade period...and I was not accusing this particular thread of being decadish...just a bunch of his posts in general... I've explained this this morning already....let me find it for you

It's the looking at things-by decade-to the Nth degree:

What's the most significant year of the 90s
Why are/aren't you nostalgic for the 90s
Which sing from 1993 was the best
The 1st half of the 90s vs the last half
The significance of the middle three years of the 90s
The moment in the 90s you realized this was the last childhood experience you'd have
Living in the 2000's and longing for the 90s
Why 00s suck and the 10s are better but not as good as the 90s
Am I a 90s kid or an 00s kid

Some of those are decadeology some are annoying.
The problem is people like Belmont (there have been others but Belmont is the most recent) who posts 5 new topics a day....all of them ( okay most of them) are about how people felt about (or felt in) the 90s

This need to relive and analyze every detail of that decade and the 00s is the most annoying advent of the Internet. 

The biggest problem I have (some others will agree) is that there are 100s of threads in the 90s and 00s and many of them are similar in theme.  Instead of starting new threads about the same old thing I wish they would go thru the 90s, 00s & 20 sections and read every post. Then see if the topics been covered. If it has discuss there if it hasn't look at the popularity (or lack of) and maybe don't.

Or, at the very least, take the similar context and make one all encompassing post rather 5 individual ones

I believe when a certain 22 yr old (&others) get in their 30s they'll see why we get annoyed

Written By: DonnieDarko on 11/11/12 at 10:22 am

Arrgh, those decadeology posts. Like Ash said somewhere, makes my head explode. Good thing it is banned here.  Just like that annoying bee that flies around your house...I just wish those type of posts would go away.  For the life of me, I can't understand how people can argue about what they think the early and mid part of a decade is.

Arrgh, those silly accusation posts. Like it says in the decadeology and why it is banned thread, makes you wonder if people think before they type. Such accusations should be banned here. Just like the annoying gossip that goes around communities...i just wish those type of posts would go away. For the life of me, I can't understand how "How were the '80s percieved in the '90s" could be considered an okay topic, but not one about a single decade opened up to a broad encompassing "future".

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/11/12 at 10:25 am

http://mlblogspittpeas.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/yoko.jpg

Written By: DonnieDarko on 11/11/12 at 10:26 am

I will be fine with my assessment because it's not strictly decadeology that I have an issue with

it the incessant desire to analyze every aspect of every decade period...and I was not accusing this particular thread of being decadish...just a bunch of his posts in general... I've explained this this morning already....let me find it for you

I find having to pay bills annoying but guess what...it's called being a grown adult.

Written By: DonnieDarko on 11/11/12 at 10:29 am

http://mlblogspittpeas.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/yoko.jpg

Or better yet, you could prevent "war" from happening in the first place by not complaining about something when it is "okayed" by the decadeology and why it is banned thread. Remember, prevention is better than cure.

Written By: snozberries on 11/11/12 at 10:30 am

Arrgh, those silly accusation posts. Like it says in the decadeology and why it is banned thread, makes you wonder if people think before they type. Such accusations should be banned here. Just like the annoying gossip that goes around communities...i just wish those type of posts would go away. For the life of me, I can't understand how "How were the '80s percieved in the '90s" could be considered an okay topic, but not one about a single decade opened up to a broad encompassing "future".

and why were you (if it is you and not some member pretending to be you)  banned again???  hmmmm lemme think....  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 11/11/12 at 10:31 am

I find having to pay bills annoying but guess what...it's called being a grown adult.

I'm not sure your response is relevant to my post....

Written By: DonnieDarko on 11/11/12 at 10:36 am

I'm not sure your response is relevant to my post....

It is relevant. You were complaing about some threads, that if they weren't decadeology, they were annoying. I have to put up with lots of responsibilities but you know what? It's called being an adult. Maybe you'll learn how to be a mature adult one day.

Written By: snozberries on 11/11/12 at 10:41 am

Maybe you'll learn how to be a mature adult one day.
]

you first

Written By: DonnieDarko on 11/11/12 at 10:44 am

]

you first

I'm not the one creating a concert about what annoys me.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/11/12 at 11:20 am

To snoz:  Is this decadeology sh!t really worth getting upset about? I mean, in the grand scheme of things, it's just so...minor.

To DonnieDarko (if you really are who you claim to be): How long has it been since you've been banned? 3-4 years now? And yet you still keep coming back. You just can't...get...over it, can you?  F**king get on with your life already.

Yanno, I used to be one of the biggest anti-decadeologists here, but any more I could give a f**k less. Yeah, some of the "Are you a 90's kid or not" and similar threads can get pretty idiotic and I still might mock them once in a while but really they're no skin off my ass.

Anymore it seems like such a dumb thing to fight about.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/11/12 at 11:37 am

I wasn't thinking of any specific decades. My question is, and it's not really a question because nobody can know, but more of an invitation to be creative about futurology - aspects of now do you think will seem quaint or outmoded in the future? Like, right now we see the past as being outmoded for its lack of technology, or its racist behaviour, or its charming polite ways, but what about this era? What will make now seem quaint, naive and exotic in the future?

Written By: belmont22 on 11/11/12 at 11:46 am

@DonnieDarko: Thank you, for trying to stick up for me, but, I don't think I need it.  :)  :P I can fight me own battles!  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 11/11/12 at 11:55 am

To snoz:  Is this decadeology sh!t really worth getting upset about? I mean, in the grand scheme of things, it's just so...minor.

To DonnieDarko (if you really are who you claim to be): How long has it been since you've been banned? 3-4 years now? And yet you still keep coming back. You just can't...get...over it, can you?  F**king get on with your life already.

Yanno, I used to be one of the biggest anti-decadeologists here, but any more I could give a f**k less. Yeah, some of the "Are you a 90's kid or not" and similar threads can get pretty idiotic and I still might mock them once in a while but really they're no skin off my ass.

Anymore it seems like such a dumb thing to fight about.

it's minor when you look at it on the small scale but when you look at it as a whole from all of the people have come and gone and posted here it's actually a big deal in my book....

I think of it like this.... slow drops of water from a faucet don't amount to much on their own but let that faucet continue to drip and all those drips accumulate into one large puddle of water.... 

karma for the DD dis tho!  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 11/11/12 at 11:58 am

I wasn't thinking of any specific decades. My question is, and it's not really a question because nobody can know, but more of an invitation to be creative about futurology - aspects of now do you think will seem quaint or outmoded in the future? Like, right now we see the past as being outmoded for its lack of technology, or its racist behaviour, or its charming polite ways, but what about this era? What will make now seem quaint, naive and exotic in the future?

and my response was not meant to stand as a comment on this particular thread but as a response to the question you posted....

Your Question: What will today seem old fashioned in the future?
My Answer:  Decadeology

Written By: belmont22 on 11/11/12 at 11:59 am

and my response was not meant to stand as a comment on this particular thread but as a response to the question you posted....

Your Question: What will today seem old fashioned in the future?
My Answer:  Decadeology

And that's why my most recent threads, aside from this one have been about beer and accents.  :) And my next one is going to be about Carly Rae Jepsen.

Written By: snozberries on 11/11/12 at 12:00 pm

And that's why my most recent threads, aside from this one have been about beer and accents.  :) And my next one is going to be about Carly Rae Jepsen.

and you will notice I stayed out of them  :) 

Written By: DonnieDarko on 11/11/12 at 12:01 pm

it's minor when you look at it on the small scale but when you look at it as a whole from all of the people have come and gone and posted here it's actually a big deal in my book....

I think of it like this.... slow drops of water from a faucet don't amount to much on their own but let that faucet continue to drip and all those drips accumulate into one large puddle of water.... 

And why does that puddle get created...as explained to you, it's not even decadeology by the thread's explaination. So all you have achieved today is...

http://static.dezeen.com/uploads/2009/03/nothing-office-by-joost-van-bleiswijk-2_nothing_04.jpg

So why not be like this man drinking coke...he's keeping cool:

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/About/General/2012/7/25/1343238654324/Man-drinking-Coke-008.jpg

Written By: warped on 11/11/12 at 12:32 pm

Exactly. Decadeology is banned here, they think by posting some non decadeology stuff, it will fool us.... ::)
Yup, opening the door just a little will create a larger opening.  It's sad.  I feel so sorry for the youth today that have nothing better to do  :-\\

Written By: DonnieDarko on 11/11/12 at 12:42 pm

Exactly. Decadeology is banned here, they think by posting some non decadeology stuff, it will fool us.... ::)
Yup, opening the door just a little will create a larger opening.  It's sad.  I feel so sorry for the youth today that have nothing better to do  :-\\

And when it's not decadeology?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_32hrlI11ixI/THLoMrmy4CI/AAAAAAAAANE/hbjr2yKStKM/s1600/!!!!!lalalalalalala!!!!!.jpg

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/11/12 at 1:55 pm

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_32hrlI11ixI/THLoMrmy4CI/AAAAAAAAANE/hbjr2yKStKM/s1600/!!!!!lalalalalalala!!!!!.jpg

You are not the real Donnie Darko.

Written By: warped on 11/11/12 at 2:00 pm

You are not the real Donnie Darko.

I've been told Donnie darko was pretty much the dumbest, stupidest, most disturbed troll ever, such an idiot & a  loser. Imagine another troll (or member)  having a goal to imitate such a loser  ;D  ;D What does it say about this troll?  ;D ;D too funny! 

Written By: snozberries on 11/11/12 at 2:12 pm

it's still boring  :P

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/11/12 at 2:46 pm

Manual labor.  :-\\

Written By: belmont22 on 11/11/12 at 2:46 pm

Manual labor.  :-\\

That's already the case to some degree.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/11/12 at 3:13 pm

That's already the case to some degree.

You ever read anything by Kurt Vonnegut?

Written By: belmont22 on 11/11/12 at 3:14 pm

You ever read any Kurt Vonnegut?

I tried once, I couldn't get into his style much. I'm sure he's brilliant but he's not for me. Maybe I will try again sometime.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/11/12 at 3:19 pm

I tried once, I couldn't get into his style much. I'm sure he's brilliant but he's not for me. Maybe I will try again sometime.

He wrote a book back in the 1950's called Player Piano, where in the future technology had advanced to the point where all manual labor jobs had been replaced by automation, and you either had a Ph.D, because the machines were so complex that it required that level of education to program and repair them, or you had nothing to do because your job had been phased out and you basically lived on welfare.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/11/12 at 3:21 pm

He wrote a book back in the 1950's called Player Piano, where in the future technology had advanced to the point where all manual labor jobs had been replaced by automation, and you either had a Ph.D, because the machines were so complex that it required that level of education to program and repair them, or you had nothing to do because your job had been phased out and you basically lived on welfare.

Sounds eerily like now.  :o

Honestly though, if the benefits were good enough, wouldn't that kind of be a good thing? Just think of it as early retirement!  ;D I would devote the time to my music and art. The only reason I really care about a career is so I can start a family, other than that honestly I'd be happy just living like a pauper my whole life.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/11/12 at 3:35 pm

Sounds eerily like now.  :o

Honestly though, if the benefits were good enough, wouldn't that kind of be a good thing? Just think of it as early retirement!  ;D I would devote the time to my music and art. The only reason I really care about a career is so I can start a family, other than that honestly I'd be happy just living like a pauper my whole life.

In a way, yes, but I think it would be more depressing than anything. There's a certain satisfaction that comes from being good at what your job and having a good work ethic, and I think a lot of people would feel like they were utterly useless if their jobs got phased out by automation.  Not to mention that I've made nearly all of my friendships after high school from working with people.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/11/12 at 3:36 pm

In a way, yes, but I think it would be more depressing than anything. There's a certain satisfaction that comes from being good at what your job and having a good work ethic, and I think a lot of people would feel like they were utterly useless if their jobs got phased out by automation.  Not to mention that I've made nearly all of my friendships after high school from working with people.

That's true. I'm not gonna lie, I collect benefits for disability. But, I'm not proud of it, I would rather work even if I was making less money than I get from the benefits, but thing is it seems kind of pointless, and there's comfort in having a consistent way to pay the bills. I'm going to go to college next year, I definitely don't feel up to living this way my entire life. There is something about pride, yes.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/11/12 at 3:41 pm

That's true. I'm not gonna lie, I collect benefits for disability. But, I'm not proud of it, I would rather work even if I was making less money than I get from the benefits, but thing is it seems kind of pointless, and there's comfort in having a consistent way to pay the bills. I'm going to go to college next year, I definitely don't feel up to living this way my entire life. There is something about pride, yes.

I did not know that, and I hope I didn't offend you by my statement. If I did, I apologize.  :-\\

Written By: belmont22 on 11/11/12 at 3:42 pm

I did not know that, and I hope I didn't offend you by my statement. If I did, I apologize.  :-\\

Not at all! I do have a disability, but I don't think it prevents me from working, it more just prevents me from getting hired. And also, I am not good at doing things I'm not interested in, I think if I studied for a career I could excel at a job but I don't think I could work my way up from McDonalds so it's really a good thing I get these benefits for now.

Check for new replies or respond here...