inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you think being a younger sibling makes you seem older?

Written By: belmont22 on 11/19/12 at 7:19 am

And vice versa? I was thinking, if you're a younger sibling as opposed to an older one, you'd be into a lot of the same things your older siblings would be, you'd become an aunt or uncle earlier in life, and you'd learn about things earlier than you would if you were an older sibling.

Do you think ironically older siblings tend to be more new school and immature and younger siblings tend to mature more quickly and have a deeper understanding of the past?

Subject: Re: Do you think being a younger sibling makes you seem older?

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 11/19/12 at 12:54 pm

For sure.

I'm a younger sibling with one brother who is 3 and a half years older. I was very young at the time, but I do remember him having pogs (I can't claim I was into them myself though). I also played his Sega Genesis frequently when I was younger (before we got N64) and watched a lot of Marvel and DC shows with him like Spiderman, X-Men, Iron Man, Batman: The Animated Series/New Adventures, etc. He got me into Legos...and I always wound up with a lot of his hand-me-down toys. I would say his childhood influenced mine greatly. No nieces or nephews yet though, lol.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/19/12 at 3:05 pm

For sure.

I'm a younger sibling with one brother who is 3 and a half years older. I was very young at the time, but I do remember him having pogs (I can't claim I was into them myself though). I also played his Sega Genesis frequently when I was younger (before we got N64) and watched a lot of Marvel and DC shows with him like Spiderman, X-Men, Iron Man, Batman: The Animated Series/New Adventures, etc. He got me into Legos...and I always wound up with a lot of his hand-me-down toys. I would say his childhood influenced mine greatly. No nieces or nephews yet though, lol.

I'm the second oldest of six, brother was born on 1 November 1988 so he's a bit more than a year older than me. Still though, I think the fact he's always been observant of pop culture (well until recently) gave me a bit of an edge since until I got older, I never cared much about music or noticed trends.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/20/12 at 12:02 am

I found myself lounging into midlife wondering between failure and success, mostly failure.  The thing is for the longest time, once you got out of college, get a job teaching, you can't get anything.  Build a n ice resume, cash in early, and retire as conservatively as possible, we're paying the rent.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/21/12 at 9:37 pm

For sure.

I would say that the relationship between you and your brother mirrors the one between myself and my brother who is just under four years younger than me (I was born in July '87 and he was born in May '91).

Without a doubt, the core part of the decade for "kid culture" was the mid 90's. Power Rangers, Pogs, Goosebumps, 16-bit gaming, FMV gaming ,the original Nicktoons, the Disney Afternoon, you name it. If it shows up on a "You know you're a '90s kid if..." list, then it probably at least touched 1993-1997 in some way. In terms of actual, literal memories, my brother's record on the mid 90's is fairly spotty. But, thanks to me, he experienced most of the hallmarks of that era firsthand, and to this day, still has alot of nostalgia for stuff that was popular around that time period in a way that an only child born in 1991 (who's core childhood years would have been the Y2K era) might not have.

On the flip side of this, I don't have much connection to "eighties kid" stuff outside of whatever was still popular in the early 90's when I started getting older (TMNT, Ghostbusters, NES, etc). A classmate of mine, though, has an older brother that was born in 1979, and he grew to love alot of earlier 80's kid shows through his brother that I never got into like He-Man, G.I. Joe and The Smurfs.

So, in a very long winded answer to the question, I would say that yes, having an older sibling can make you "seem" older.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 11/21/12 at 11:51 pm

Thinking about my childhood and my extended family and close friends who I grew up with, I was surrounded by mostly '83-'92-borns, which kind of fits nicely into the "90s kid" range. As a result, I had absolutely no 80s culture influence on my childhood that I can think of. Never watched The Smurfs or G.I. Joe or any of the others you mentioned. Although I did see reruns of He-Man on Cartoon Network in the early 00s :P

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/22/12 at 3:21 am

Being the youngest in our closer family for more than 21 years, I think - yes, it can make you seem older. My sister (b. 1978) had a lot of 80's stuff and books and they didn't really seem old to me back then (late 80s-mid 90s). I didn't really consider them 80's stuff but current stuff, however later I realized that they were sometimes produced before my birth. My sister had kid's vinyl records from the late 70s and early 80s. I played them as if it was the most normal thing to do. I was also into music of the early-mid 90s that was rather aimed towards the teens of that time... listening to real kid's music was more a thing of being 3-6 to me.

I had contact to a GameBoy very early (age 5). I don't think my parent's would have bought me one at this age if I was an only-child.

Written By: Howard on 12/11/12 at 7:13 pm

I feel older.

Check for new replies or respond here...