inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What is the best concert you have ever been to?

Written By: warped on 11/21/12 at 12:42 pm

I was just looking at an old concert ticket today and I thought to myself..."Hey warped, what is the best concert you have ever been to?"

I thought about it a little, and I think my favorite concert was seeing Genesis back in 1980, shortly after the release of their album "Duke"  They played many of their older songs from the 70s (well, since it was 1980, I guess the 70s were not that old yet  ;D)

I still remember the feeling of "WOW" I had after that concert.

What's the best concert you have been to?  It doesn't have to be a popular music concert either.

Subject: Re: What is the best concert you have ever been to?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/21/12 at 1:03 pm

It was a toss up between Meatloaf in 1993 (?) & Bryan Adams in 2010.

There was a local group called The Woods Tea Company that used to put on a GREAT show. We used to go see them a lot. Then a couple of members passed away.  :\'( :\'( :\'(  Another guy retired. They did hire other members but it just wasn't the same anymore. They used to do a lot of Irish & sea shanties but they stopped doing those and they basically lost their pizzazz. They finally broke up this year-even though some of its members are still preforming.

http://www.woodstea.net/

The worst-Bob Dylan.

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 11/21/12 at 3:53 pm

Emerson Lake & Palmer....February 5, 1978, it was a Sunday.

Written By: warped on 11/21/12 at 3:54 pm

It was a toss up between Meatloaf in 1993 (?) & Bryan Adams in 2010.

There was a local group called The Woods Tea Company that used to put on a GREAT show. We used to go see them a lot. Then a couple of members passed away.  :\'( :\'( :\'(  Another guy retired. They did hire other members but it just wasn't the same anymore. They used to do a lot of Irish & sea shanties but they stopped doing those and they basically lost their pizzazz. They finally broke up this year-even though some of its members are still preforming.

http://www.woodstea.net/

The worst-Bob Dylan.

Cat

I gotta ask, what was so bad about the Bob Dylan concert?  Did you see him recently and perhaps his voice has "jumped the shark"?

(Many claim his voice jumped the shark even before 1960)  :o :o

Written By: warped on 11/21/12 at 3:59 pm

Emerson Lake & Palmer....Febuary 5, 1978, it was a Sunday.

I'm jealous.  ;D 

Good time to see them, I think it was just before they broke up, the first time.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/21/12 at 4:11 pm

I've seen so many. There's a group called Ghostland Observatory that are really good I saw about a year ago. I also went to Bumbershoot 2 months ago, that was pretty fun. I saw Tears for Fears 3 years ago as well, they still put on a pretty good show. Roland looks good for his age and still has a strong voice.

Written By: loki 13 on 11/21/12 at 4:20 pm

I'm jealous.  ;D 

Good time to see them, I think it was just before they broke up, the first time.

It was the Works Vol. 2 Tour. I wanted to see them in '77, the Works 1 Tour but I was on vacation
down the shore and parents wouldn't let me come back for the concert.

Feb. 5,1978 was the first day of the blizzard of '78. They were only calling for flurries for the Philadelphia
area. By the time the concert was over there was 3" on the ground and by they time it stopped snowing 
we had three days off from school. Some flurry huh?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/21/12 at 4:37 pm

I gotta ask, what was so bad about the Bob Dylan concert?  Did you see him recently and perhaps his voice has "jumped the shark"?

(Many claim his voice jumped the shark even before 1960)  :o :o

I saw him in Greece in 1989. It wasn't his voice at all-it was basically a crappy show that he put on. It's like he wasn't aware that the audience was even there.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 11/21/12 at 6:01 pm

I love to tell this stuff

Way back in the 60s you could see what would be big acts in small venues.  Like the Who, and Jeff Beck at a place called the Boston T Party, belly up to the stage and maybe, at most, 500 people.  Bob Dylan and Joan Baez at Club Passim,  Clash and Sprinsteen in a bar, maybe 200 people, Todd Rundgren(Nazz) for free on the Cambridge Common.  Jimi Hendrix at the North Shore Music Circus, reach out and touch him. Max may be old enough to remember this in the Boston area.  It was the way music was meant to be heard.  Wowzee  :)

Written By: loki 13 on 11/21/12 at 6:50 pm

I love to tell this stuff

Way back in the 60s you could see what would be big acts in small venues.  Like the Who, and Jeff Beck at a place called the Boston T Party, belly up to the stage and maybe, at most, 500 people.  Bob Dylan and Joan Baez at Club Passim,  Clash and Sprinsteen in a bar, maybe 200 people, Todd Rundgren(Nazz) for free on the Cambridge Common.  Jimi Hendrix at the North Shore Music Circus, reach out and touch him. Max may be old enough to remember this in the Boston area.  It was the way music was meant to be heard.  Wowzee  :)

I sort of know what you mean. I saw Emerson Berry & Palmer (AKA 3) in a bar. Before the show I was sitting on the
edge of the stage leaning on Emerson keyboards. Kansas and REO Speedwagon played a bar down the street from me.
Mick Jagger and Keith Richards also played a set in the bar. The intimate atmoshere makes the show that much better.
I guess the artist can relax more, when they play a small venue it's more for the love of the music.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/22/12 at 6:19 am

I sort of know what you mean. I saw Emerson Berry & Palmer (AKA 3) in a bar. Before the show I was sitting on the
edge of the stage leaning on Emerson keyboards. Kansas and REO Speedwagon played a bar down the street from me.
Mick Jagger and Keith Richards also played a set in the bar. The intimate atmoshere makes the show that much better.
I guess the artist can relax more, when they play a small venue it's more for the love of the music.

Exactly!  :)

Written By: whistledog on 11/22/12 at 7:06 am

I am jealous of everyone's excellent concert experiences.  I have only seen 2 artists live:  Some Canadian all-girl rock band called Tuuli
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyQEmu9xkLM

and the rap/reggae artist known simply as Snow.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/22/12 at 7:13 am

I'm trying to think of every artist I've seen live.

Tears for Fears
Barenaked Ladies
Lights (at least 7 times)
Owl City (twice)
Passion Pit
M83
Best Coast (didn't like em much)
Copeland
Lydia
Lovedrug
Crystal Castles (didn't like them much either)
Ellie Goulding
Ghostland Observatory
OMD
Jeremy Fisher
Keane
The Knocks
Stars of Track and Field
Kimbra

um, im sure i missed a few. love living in a city!

Written By: danootaandme on 11/22/12 at 8:10 am

I'm trying to think of every artist I've seen live.

um, im sure i missed a few. love living in a city!

DITTO!

It's been a while but

Beatles
Stones
Who
Jimmy Hendrix
Emerson Lake Palmer
Doors
Dylan
Cream
Phil Ochs
Joan Baez
Clash
Miles Davis
Gil Scott Heron
Supremes
Tubes
Talking Heads
Roy Orbison
Chad and Jeremy
Peter and Gordon
Lovin' Spoonful
Gary Lewis and the Playboys
Roland Kirk
Family
Savoy Brown
Frank Zappa
Springsteen
Thunderclap Newman
Hermans Hermits
Stephane Grappelli
Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee
Janis Joplin

more, have to think,

.........(everyone at Woodstock)

Written By: warped on 11/22/12 at 8:21 am

I'm very jealous of Danoota's.

(Note to self: If I ever build a time machine...move to Massachusetts in the early 60s, make a point to hang out with Danoota...attend concerts with her)

Here's my list of bands I've seen people might recognize:

Pink Floyd
The Rolling Stones
Parachute Club
Genesis
Blue Rodeo
Peter Gabriel
Prism
Payolas
The Spoons
Saga
Platinum Blonde
Phil Collins
Dionne Warwick
Stray Cats
Gordon Lightfoot
Anne Murray
Supertramp

I know I missed a few here. Might add them later.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/22/12 at 8:29 am

I'm very jealous of Danoota's.

(Note to self: If I ever build a time machine...move to Massachusetts in the early 60s, make a point to hang out with Danoota...attend concerts with her)

Here's my list of bands I've seen people might recognize:

Pink Floyd
The Rolling Stones
Parachute Club
Genesis
Blue Rodeo
Peter Gabriel
Prism
Payolas
The Spoons
Saga
Platinum Blonde
Phil Collins
Dionne Warwick
Stray Cats
Gordon Lightfoot
Anne Murray
Supertramp

I know I missed a few here. Might add them later.

Together we could have it all wrapped up....or Warped Up.

.....add Gordon to my list...I just love Gordon.

Written By: loki 13 on 11/22/12 at 9:17 am

I posted the list of concerts I've been to before but with newer members I can post it again. Of this list I've
stated the best (ELP), now I'll give the worst: The Rolling Stones - Foghat is a close second.

Allman Brothers
Annie Haslam
Ashford and Simpson
Asia
Beach Boys
Billy Joel
Billy Ocean
Black Crowes
Black Sabbath
Blue Oyster Cult
Bo Diddly/Albert Collins
Bob Dylan
Bryan Adams
Burton Cummings And The Guess Who
Bus Boys
Cars
Chambers Brothers
Cheap Trick
Cher
Chicago
Clash
Crosby, Stills And Nash
Crosby, Stills, Nash And Young
David Bowie
David Lee Roth
Deep Purple
Duran Duran
Emerson Lake & Palmer
Emerson Lake & Powell
Eric Clapton
Foghat
Foreigner
Four Tops
Gary Puckett And The Union Gap
Genesis
George Thorogood
Greg Kihn
Greg lake
Hall And Oates
Heart
Hooters
Huey Lewis And The News
Ian Hunter
Iron Butterfly
Jefferson Starship
Jethro Tull
Joan Baez
Joan Jett And The Blackhearts
John Kaye And Steppenwolf
Johnny Rivers
Journey
Judas Priest
Kansas
Kenny Loggins
Kiss
LaToya Jackson
Led Zeppelin
Linda Ronstadt
Living Colour
Madonna
Meatloaf
Monkees
Moody Blues
Neil Young
Nirvana
No Doubt
Novo Combo
Ozzy Osbourne
Pat Matheny
Patti LaBelle
Phil Collins
Pink Floyd
Power Station
Pretenders
Queen
Rainbow
Rascals
Renaissance
REO Speedwagon
Rick Springfield
Robert Hazard And The Heroes
Rolling Stones
Run - DMC
Rush
Santana
Sammy Hagar
Simple Minds
Spirit
Stanley Jordan
Stevie Nicks
Sweet
Teddy Pendergrass
Temptations
The Power Of 3
Thompson Twins
Tina Turner
38 Special
Tom Petty
Tommy Conwell And The Young Rumblers
Trans Siberian Orchestra
Van Halen
Who
Yes
ZZ Top

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/22/12 at 12:23 pm

Some impressive lists there. Here is mine-not quite impressive:

-The Cowsills  :D ;D ;D ;D
-Debbie Boone  :D :D :D (with B.J. Thomas)
-B.J. Thomas-twice.
-Blue Oyster Cult
-Loverboy O0
-The Hooters (who opened for Loverboy)  8-P
-Bob Dylan  8-P
-Meatloaf O0 O0
-Jethro Tull
-The Rascals O0
-The Loving Spoonfuls O0
-Billy Joe Royal (with B.J. Thomas)
-Rick Derringer (with the Loving Spoonfuls.)  8-P
-1964: A Beatles Tribute band (twice) O0
-Bryan Adams  O0 O0
-Pat Benatar O0 O0
-REO Speedwagon (with Pat Benatar)

A bunch of others that I'm sure no one has ever heard of.

I have to say that Jethro Tull was very disappointing. My sisters went to see them in 1979 and they told me it was a GREAT show. We went to see them about 5 years ago and they seem to have run out of steam. And the acoustics in the place were awful. The people next to us walked out. 

Cat

Written By: warped on 11/22/12 at 12:31 pm

Nice list Cat, and I'm glad Loki_13 gave us a list of concert he saw in early 1978...waiting for all the other years. :D

Cat, I would have liked to have seen Jethro Tull, BJ Thomas. I saw Loverboy & have to add it to my list. I saw a Beatles tribute band but don;t remember who they were. I know it wasn't "Beatlemania".

Loki..I'm jealous of your list too, such as  Moody Blue, ELP, Monkees, Deep Purple, Allman Brothers, Clapton, Heart, Stevie Nicks, Who, Zep, Yes, CSNY.

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/22/12 at 12:58 pm

I saw Pete Seeger at Carnegie Hall with Arlo back in the day, and Utah Phillips in Boston, both great, and a bunch of the ones Cat listed but the best was in Chile while I was living  there doing my dissertation research.  It was Victor Jara (pronounced Hara) Quillapayun, and Inti Ilimani.  All part of the Andean folk revival of the 1970's.  Fantastic music and very political (Allende was pres at the time),  We also frequented a sort of folk night club (peasant food and good wine, family style) where lots of musicians dropped in and performed impromptu.  Memories!

Written By: whistledog on 11/22/12 at 8:40 pm

Prism

Did you see them when it was Ron Tabak or Henry Small as lead singer?

Written By: warped on 11/23/12 at 6:39 am

Did you see them when it was Ron Tabak or Henry Small as lead singer?

Ron Tabak.

Written By: snozberries on 11/23/12 at 10:12 am

You may notice a theme here... but I'm a bit of a fan!!!!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-aPexJ9OvsH8/T08aEiiXd6I/AAAAAAAAN7s/wJ51JmbzxZ4/s1600/Jackson+Rhythm+Nation+Tour.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51WW0mjzkpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-q5I8sMY9KW0/TexiSCMKCfI/AAAAAAAAAKU/WKGDi0b4JYk/s1600/Janet+1.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/23/12 at 1:17 pm

A question for those of you who have gone to maga concerts. Do you have any hearing loss?

When I first met one of my best friends about 1992 or so, she would brag about all the concerts she had been to. Today, she has hearing loss and I wonder if it is due to the fact that she went to all of those concerts. I remember when I went to see Blue Oyster Cult and my ears rang for about 3 days after the concert. Today, I do have a touch of tinnitus but I don't know if that stems from the concert or from a machine that I used to work with back in the dark ages that was in a tiny closet and it so loud that I had to wear ear protection.

Most of the LOUD concerts I went to were outdoor so it wasn't that hard on the ears.

Cat

Written By: warped on 11/23/12 at 1:50 pm

A question for those of you who have gone to maga concerts. Do you have any hearing loss?

When I first met one of my best friends about 1992 or so, she would brag about all the concerts she had been to. Today, she has hearing loss and I wonder if it is due to the fact that she went to all of those concerts. I remember when I went to see Blue Oyster Cult and my ears rang for about 3 days after the concert. Today, I do have a touch of tinnitus but I don't know if that stems from the concert or from a machine that I used to work with back in the dark ages that was in a tiny closet and it so loud that I had to wear ear protection.

Most of the LOUD concerts I went to were outdoor so it wasn't that hard on the ears.

Cat

I've seen a few bands in smaller indoor venues, and sat right beside the speaker for some (for the Stray Cats, Platinum Blonde, Saga, the Spoons to name a few)  :D. Granted my hearing wasn't very good for a few hours and days after the concert (just like you, my ears rang), but hearing returned to normal.

My hearing is still very good now.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/23/12 at 1:56 pm

I've seen a few bands in smaller indoor venues, and sat right beside the speaker for some (for the Stray Cats, Platinum Blonde, Saga, the Spoons to name a few)  :D. Granted my hearing wasn't very good for a few hours and days after the concert (just like you, my ears rang), but hearing returned to normal.

My hearing is still very good now.

Besides the tinnitus, I have good hearing. I once had an ENT tell me that I could hear a gnat sneeze in a hurricane.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Ok, going off topic for a second: I had a hearing test that they just had it up WAY SUPER LOUD! When it was over, I made a comment that they were trying to blast me out. Come to find out, when I was hitting button, it wasn't registering so they thought I wasn't hearing it and made it louder. They did the test again but they started at the louder volume.  ::)

Ok, back to topic.

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/23/12 at 4:57 pm

There were two that really stood out. The ones I wish I could go back to and relive.

1.) Rolling Stones, May 1990, Frankfurt, Germany at the Waldstadion (which was a large outdoor stadium used primarily for soccer).

2.) Farm Aid III, September 1987, Lincoln, Nebraska at Memorial Stadium (home field of the Cornhuskers).  The line-up was as follows: Alex Harvey, Emmylou Harris, Steppenwolf, Vince Gill, Lyle Lovett, John Denver, Lou Reed, John Mellencamp, Neil Young, Bandaloo Doctors, Joe Walsh, Willie Nelson, The Unforgiven, and Dr. Starr.

Written By: warped on 11/23/12 at 5:01 pm

There were two that really stood out. The ones I wish I could go back to and relive.

1.) Rolling Stones, May 1990, Frankfurt, Germany at the Waldstadion (which was a large outdoor stadium used primarily for soccer).

Steel Wheel's tour. O0 

I saw them in Toronto near the start of that tour, in 1989.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/23/12 at 5:06 pm

Steel Wheel's tour. O0 

I saw them in Toronto near the start of that tour, in 1989.

It was the same tour, but in Europe it was called the Urban Jungle Tour.

Written By: warped on 11/24/12 at 2:47 pm

It was the same tour, but in Europe it was called the Urban Jungle Tour.

I think they opened the concert with "Start me up".  It was a good concert, even though some of the time I can't understand what Jagger is singing/saying  :D

Written By: loki 13 on 11/24/12 at 3:13 pm

As great as the Rolling Stones are I thought they were horrible live. The first time I saw them
I figured it was just a bad night. The second time I thought, "Two bad nights in the same city?
Can't be." The third time I realized they just weren't good live. Even documentaries and video
of live concerts are equally as bad. It isn't Mick Jagger's antics, it is the music. Muffled and
indiscernible.

Written By: warped on 11/26/12 at 12:12 pm

I'm still jealous of Danoota's list , coz she saw the Beatles. 

Just awesome.

Written By: Starde on 11/29/12 at 8:06 pm

You may notice a theme here... but I'm a bit of a fan!!!!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-aPexJ9OvsH8/T08aEiiXd6I/AAAAAAAAN7s/wJ51JmbzxZ4/s1600/Jackson+Rhythm+Nation+Tour.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51WW0mjzkpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-q5I8sMY9KW0/TexiSCMKCfI/AAAAAAAAAKU/WKGDi0b4JYk/s1600/Janet+1.jpg

I'm so jealous you've seen JJ in concert! I NEED to see her in concert!

Check for new replies or respond here...