inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The rise of irony

Written By: belmont22 on 11/23/12 at 10:31 pm

I just read a really good article about irony.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/17/how-to-live-without-irony/

It's interesting. I've noticed irony has gone from being practically unheard of 100 years ago, to being a moderately powerful cultural element during the twentieth century, and for the past 5 years or so, has become this all-pervasive force.

It seems like there is no sincerity left whatsoever in today's society. Even State Farm commercials exhibit irony and self-depreciation now. This article says irony is a way to deflect criticism and to hide in plain sight and I agree.

I find the insincerity and sarcasm rampant in modern culture very annoying and I think one of the things that makes the past seem charming is the past there actually was more sincerity. A spade really was a spade back then, I think there's also this idea everything has already been done which further fuels the fire.

What do you think of the article, or if you didn't want to read it, of irony in general?

Subject: Re: The rise of irony

Written By: Owl eyes on 11/23/12 at 11:00 pm

It's interesting. I've noticed irony has gone from being practically unheard of 100 years ago, to being a moderately powerful cultural element during the twentieth century, and for the past 5 years or so, has become this all-pervasive force.

It seems like there is no sincerity left whatsoever in today's society. Even State Farm commercials exhibit irony and self-depreciation now. This article says irony is a way to deflect criticism and to hide in plain sight and I agree.

I find the insincerity and sarcasm rampant in modern culture very annoying and I think one of the things that makes the past seem charming is the past there actually was more sincerity. A spade really was a spade back then, I think there's also this idea everything has already been done which further fuels the fire.

What do you think of the article, or if you didn't want to read it, of irony in general?

People aren't being raised properly to be decent members of society.

Written By: Emman on 11/24/12 at 1:50 am

This irony is still largely absent in most african-american culture, especially in hip-hop, it's only "practiced" among a subculture of privileged hipsters.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/24/12 at 3:05 am

I find the article on irony vapid.

Written By: wildcard on 11/24/12 at 11:22 am

I saved the article and will be trying to read it again to make sure if I understand all of what is being said.  I can tell you though, I don't color my pictures though to make them look crummy.  I don't like redone movies with these brighter and I'm told better colors.  Hurt my eye

Written By: belmont22 on 11/26/12 at 1:49 am

I find the article on irony vapid.

How so? I'm curious.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/26/12 at 2:29 pm

How so? I'm curious.

It seems to me more of a self satisfied pat on the back for her own personal growing awareness into the failings of character in her generation, and how they can fix it.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/26/12 at 2:30 pm

It seems to me more of a self satisfied pat on the back for her own personal growing awareness into the failings of character in her generation, and how they can fix that.

Yes, it is a little bit smug, but I think she kind of hit the nail on the head as far as irony being a negative cultural force in a lot of ways, at least in the excessive way it's incorporated into modern culture.

Written By: wildcard on 11/26/12 at 3:45 pm

It seems to me more of a self satisfied pat on the back for her own personal growing awareness into the failings of character in her generation, and how they can fix it.

yea is does,  maybe I don't like much these days ( like editing pictures by adding color)  and the suckyness  of the generation doesn't help me feel any better when I'm down.

Check for new replies or respond here...