inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Unusual recasts

Written By: snozberries on 11/24/12 at 7:32 pm

I am not a fan of Tim burton movies so I haven't seen any of his Batman's since they originally played in theaters but I knew Jack was the Joker, Jim the Riddker and Tommy Lee Jones was Two-Face (aka Harvey  Dent)

Imagine my surprise when I sat down to try and give Batman another shot and I see Billy Dee Williams in the role.....so Billy Dee Williams was Harvey Dent first? Guess that acid was more powerful than we thought!!!

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c103/ThinWhiteDuke1/BDW2.jpg

Started thinking what other unusual recasts have there been?

The other one that comes to mind is Joan Crawford getting cast to fill in for her daughter on 5 eps of Secret Storm in 1968.  Talk about stunt casting at its worst!!!

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=155923&stc=1&d=1267995532

Can you think of any others?

Subject: Re: Unusual recasts

Written By: warped on 11/25/12 at 5:46 am

When Eve Plumb decided not to renue her role in "The Brady Bunch Hour"  There was Geri Reichel as "Fake Jan"  http://www.sitcomsonline.com/photopost/data/2265/bradybunchhourFakeJan.jpg

Like even a kid couldn't figure out it wasn't the real Jan Brady  ;D

not sure if this is what you mean with unusual recasting :-\\

Written By: danootaandme on 11/25/12 at 5:54 am

When "The Wiz" went from Broadway to the movies 19 year old Stephanie Mills was replaced by 30 something Diana Ross. 

Written By: snozberries on 11/25/12 at 2:05 pm

I liked the way Roseanne recasted Becky when Lecy Goranson went to college. They uses Sarah chalke then recast Sarah chalke with Lecy Goranson

They referenced it at least twice in eps...
Once in a Halloween ep when Sarah chalke was out with trick or treaters and Roseanne looked at her and said she looked familiar and more famously in the "patty duke show parody" where the two Becky's reenacted the opening theme song.

Oh and a third time- in that one episode where John Goodman plays an adult, emotionally disturbed DJ Comnor who kept repeating 'they say she's the same but she wasnt the same'  ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 11/25/12 at 4:28 pm

I liked the way Roseanne recasted Becky when Lecy Goranson went to college. They uses Sarah chalke then recast Sarah chalke with Lecy Goranson

They referenced it at least twice in eps...
Once in a Halloween ep when Sarah chalke was out with trick or treaters and Roseanne looked at her and said she looked familiar and more famously in the "patty duke show parody" where the two Becky's reenacted the opening theme song.

Oh and a third time- in that one episode where John Goodman plays an adult, emotionally disturbed DJ Comnor who kept repeating 'they say she's the same but she wasnt the same'  ;D

Don't forget when Lecy came back for a short time, she came in the room and Roseanne said "Where have you been?  It seems like I haven't seen you in forever" (or something to that effect)

Written By: snozberries on 11/25/12 at 4:57 pm

Don't forget when Lecy came back for a short time, she came in the room and Roseanne said "Where have you been?  It seems like I haven't seen you in forever" (or something to that effect)

That's right. I love self-referentialism in my pop culture

Written By: belmont22 on 11/25/12 at 5:24 pm

It was weird when they replaced Vivian in Fresh Prince with a different actress.

Written By: snozberries on 11/25/12 at 5:29 pm

When "The Wiz" went from Broadway to the movies 19 year old Stephanie Mills was replaced by 30 something Diana Ross.

That's a good one.

Written By: whistledog on 11/25/12 at 9:44 pm

This one not so much a re-cast, but when Bo and Luke were written out of the Dukes of Hazzard, and replaced with Coy and Vance.  They even made the same switch for the cartoon series "The Dukes".  I accepted it, but I still did not like it.  They were esentially the same characters just with different actors and different names.

Plus, were Bo and Luke not still bound by law of their probation that they were not allowed to leave Hazzard County?

Written By: whistledog on 11/25/12 at 9:50 pm

On Dynasty, when Pamela Sue Martin did not want to continue the role of Fallon Carrington, she was replaced by British actress Emma Samms.  I didn't mind that change because Emma faked an American accent quite well, but some long time Dynasty fans may still prefer Pamela Sue.

Written By: snozberries on 11/25/12 at 10:47 pm

This one not so much a re-cast, but when Bo and Luke were written out of the Dukes of Hazzard, and replaced with Coy and Vance.  They even made the same switch for the cartoon series "The Dukes".  I accepted it, but I still did not like it.  They were esentially the same characters just with different actors and different names.

Plus, were Bo and Luke not still bound by law of their probation that they were not allowed to leave Hazzard County?

I'll accept that one. I was not aware the chafe carried over to the animated series  ;D

Written By: warped on 11/28/12 at 11:35 am

I prefered Dick York as "Durwood" in Bewitched compared to Dick Sargant.
The show also had 2 Gladys Kravits. I preferred the 2nd Gladys (Sandra Gould)

These might not be so unusual, but I guess it's a matter of your own taste, which "Durwood" or "Gladys" you liked better.

Written By: loki 13 on 11/28/12 at 6:12 pm

I don't know if this counts.

The Mummy: Tomb Of The Dragon Emporer cast Maria Bello as Evy O'Connell instead of Rachel Weisz
who was cast in the role of Evy in the previous two Mummy movies.

Written By: snozberries on 11/28/12 at 6:20 pm

I prefered Dick York as "Durwood" in Bewitched compared to Dick Sargant.
The show also had 2 Gladys Kravits. I preferred the 2nd Gladys (Sandra Gould)

These might not be so unusual, but I guess it's a matter of your own taste, which "Durwood" or "Gladys" you liked better.

agreed!  Dick Sargent was just so unappealing!

Written By: snozberries on 11/28/12 at 6:21 pm

The Mummy: Tomb Of The Dragon Emporer cast Maria Bello as Evy O'Connell instead of Rachel Weisz

It could count if there was something unusual about it...    :D

Written By: loki 13 on 11/28/12 at 7:24 pm

It could count if there was something unusual about it...    :D

What is so unusual about two dicks playing Durwood?

Okay, how about this?

Evy, a British Character, was played by Rachel Weisz, a British actress. Evy, was recast for the third movie
by Maria Bello, an American actress and she is also 3 years older. That should trump two dicks.

Written By: snozberries on 11/28/12 at 8:46 pm

What is so unusual about two dicks playing Durwood?

Okay, how about this?

Evy, a British Character, was played by Rachel Weisz, a British actress. Evy, was recast for the third movie
by Maria Bello, an American actress and she is also 3 years older. That should trump two dicks.

Works for me.  :)

I dunno. I think Dagwood was my first introduction to recasting so it was weird how it was this one guy then it was this other creepy looking angry dude.

Written By: Starde on 11/29/12 at 8:12 pm

One of the huge reasons why I had no interest in the movie, along with the fact that they even made another sequel to The Mummy.

Written By: whistledog on 11/29/12 at 8:17 pm

Rachel Weisz is the better choice (and she is way hotter).  I will always see Maria Bello as the rough bitch in Coyote Ugly and Payback, and I didn't like her in the 3rd Mummy

Check for new replies or respond here...