inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When somebody says 'this generation'

Written By: belmont22 on 12/26/12 at 2:33 pm

When somebody says something like the 'best song/movie to come out in this generation', how many years back would you say a 'generation' implies? What would be considered recent enough to be the 'current generation' as opposed to the 'last generation'?

Subject: Re: When somebody says 'this generation'

Written By: whistledog on 12/26/12 at 3:20 pm

Generation implies to Pepsi because it's the choice of a new generation :D

Written By: belmont22 on 12/26/12 at 3:58 pm

Generation implies to Pepsi because it's the choice of a new generation :D

But now the new Pepsi generation isn't the new generation  :D

Written By: Howard on 12/27/12 at 8:37 am

But now the new Pepsi generation isn't the new generation  :D

more like "old generation".

Written By: belmont22 on 12/27/12 at 8:38 am

more like "old generation".

Ah, more like "not the young". Old generation to me is like, born before 1950.  :D

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/27/12 at 8:53 am

The 'other generation' are those who are more than ~15 years older than me...
basically those who I am still looking up to ... like they could be my parents.

Written By: belmont22 on 12/27/12 at 8:55 am

The 'other generation' are those who are more than ~15 years older than me...
basically those who I am still looking up to like if they could be my parents.

I actually meant like um, 'generation' in the sense of a time period belonging to the 'current generation', not so much the people themselves. Like I'd say 'this generation' would basically mean anything from 2000 onwards or possibly as far back as say 1995. What do you think?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/27/12 at 10:30 am

I actually meant like um, 'generation' in the sense of a time period belonging to the 'current generation', not so much the people themselves. Like I'd say 'this generation' would basically mean anything from 2000 onwards or possibly as far back as say 1995. What do you think?

2000 onwards... or maybe 2005.... more or less the trends that started in the early 00s. 1995 is too long ago and 'too 90s' to belong to the current generation. However it's quite a philosophy ;)

Written By: af2010 on 12/27/12 at 10:43 am

I would probably associate the term "this generation" with whatever/whoever is popular right now.  Most of the popular musicians today (Bieber, Katy Perry, Carly Rae Jepsen, LMFA, Psy) have only been popular since the late 00s or early 10s, so that's about as far back as I would go.

But in a broader sense, I'd say "this generation" (not the specific artists, but the era in general) started in the late 90s.  Obviously the styles and trends have evolved, but the overall attitude (mostly shallow and all about having fun) has basically stayed the same.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/27/12 at 11:16 am

But in a broader sense, I'd say "this generation" (not the specific artists, but the era in general) started in the late 90s.  Obviously the styles and trends have evolved, but the overall attitude (mostly shallow and all about having fun) has basically stayed the same.

Yeah, I'd say late 90's culture very much "belongs" to Generation Y. Some of the most popular shows of that era (Family Guy, Futurama, South Park) are still on TV today. I would also say that some mid 90's Post Grunge artists (Foo Fighters, Goo Goo Dolls, Live, Collective Soul, etc.) also could be lumped in with "this generation" since that particular type of music, while on the wane now, was really popular throughout much of the 2000's.

The most recent genre of music that I would say firmly belongs to the previous generation in the first wave Grunge acts from the early 90's.

Written By: af2010 on 12/27/12 at 11:48 am

Yeah, I'd say late 90's culture very much "belongs" to Generation Y. Some of the most popular shows of that era (Family Guy, Futurama, South Park) are still on TV today. I would also say that some mid 90's Post Grunge artists (Foo Fighters, Goo Goo Dolls, Live, Collective Soul, etc.) also could be lumped in with "this generation" since that particular type of music, while on the wane now, was really popular throughout much of the 2000's.

The most recent genre of music that I would say firmly belongs to the previous generation in the first wave Grunge acts from the early 90's.

Agree.  I think a lot of the mid-late 90s alternative (Foo Fighters, Goo Goo Dolls, Matchbox 20, 3rd Eye Blind, etc.) can't really be firmly classed to gen X or Y.  The artists were mostly Xers, but a lot of early gen Yers were fans.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/27/12 at 12:21 pm

Yeah, I'd say late 90's culture very much "belongs" to Generation Y.

Question is: Are we still in Generation Y in 2012/13?

I doubt it... especially since the very late 00s.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/27/12 at 1:12 pm

Good question, but I think it's hard to answer it right now. My guess would be that, if current music and styles stay popular for the next several years, then the early 10's will probably be looked at as the very beginning of Generation Z's "time", in much the same way that the late 90's is associated with Generation Y's emergence into the pop cultural realm. On the flip side, if there were to be a major cultural shift in the mid-to-late 10's, then this current era may be seen as "late Y".

Let's say hypothetically that 2017 winds up being similar as culturally changeful as 1997. Obama leaves office in January (which will factor in since his Presidency is such a big deal from a cultural standpoint), perhaps some new trend or website takes off on the internet, maybe a resurgence of rock music or hip hop occurs, anything along those lines. In that case, I could potentially see 2010-2017 being seen as the tail end of the "Gen Y era".

Written By: af2010 on 12/27/12 at 1:17 pm

I use to think we were in gen Z (or whatever the next gen is called), but now I think we're still at the tail end of Y.  Are Katy Perry and Carly Rae Jepsen really that much different than Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera?  Granted they're only a few years younger (while their respective fans are 10+ years younger), but I still think we're in gen Y; I'd say by the mid-late 10s (when we start seeing more artists born in the late 90s and early 00s) we'll be in "gen Z culture."

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/27/12 at 1:24 pm

I'd say by the mid-late 10s (when we start seeing more artists born in the late 90s and early 00s) we'll be in "gen Z culture."

I always tend to consider that smartphone and mobile web environment as very Z-ish, but music-wise you are probably right. Maybe Y culture finally dies out when peak generation Y turns 30...

Written By: af2010 on 12/27/12 at 1:33 pm

Good question, but I think it's hard to answer it right now. My guess would be that, if current music and styles stay popular for the next several years, then the early 10's will probably be looked at as the very beginning of Generation Z's "time", in much the same way that the late 90's is associated with Generation Y's emergence into the pop cultural realm. On the flip side, if there were to be a major cultural shift in the mid-to-late 10's, then this current era may be seen as "late Y".

Let's say hypothetically that 2017 winds up being similar as culturally changeful as 1997. Obama leaves office in January (which will factor in since his Presidency is such a big deal from a cultural standpoint), perhaps some new trend or website takes off on the internet, maybe a resurgence of rock music or hip hop occurs, anything along those lines. In that case, I could potentially see 2010-2017 being seen as the tail end of the "Gen Y era".

That's an interesting point.  Maybe the coming years of pop culture will prove when gen Y really ends (in terms of births).

Written By: af2010 on 12/27/12 at 1:38 pm

I always tend to consider that smartphone and mobile web environment as very Z-ish, but music-wise you are probably right. Maybe Y culture finally dies out when peak generation Y turns 30...

In terms of growing up with those things, I definitely see that as a gen Z trait; but gen Z had nothing to do with their advent.  What do you consider peak gen Y?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/27/12 at 1:42 pm

What do you consider peak gen Y?

Mid 80s.

Those who grew-up with computers and the internet but still experienced a good chunk of their life without its (daily) presence.

Written By: af2010 on 12/27/12 at 2:03 pm

Mid 80s.

I'd say mid 80s is "core" gen Y (not on either cusp), but I would put "peak" gen Y around 87-88.  But that could just be me equating my own experiences with gen Y.

Those who grew-up with computers and the internet but still experienced a good chunk of their life without its (daily) presence.

That sounds about right.

Written By: Howard on 12/27/12 at 2:17 pm

Ah, more like "not the young". Old generation to me is like, born before 1950.  :D

that would be called "the dinosaur generation".

Written By: Howard on 12/27/12 at 2:18 pm

I think so.  ???

Written By: warped on 12/27/12 at 2:22 pm

that would be called "the dinosaur generation".

Erm, there might be some member here born in 1950 or before who won't be thrilled to be called a dinosaur.

I think a "generation" is about 20 to 25 years, more or less.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/27/12 at 3:50 pm

That's why I have mentioned that >15 years older people definetly feel like a different generation.

Written By: belmont22 on 12/27/12 at 4:47 pm

I agree with all of that, except Family Guy wasn't really that popular when it debuted in 1999. I actually do remember it from then, my brother liked it, but it was a flop from what I remember, I'm actually surprised its first run lasted up to 2002.

Just like Seinfeld in 1989/1990, I think Family Guy in 1999/2000's humor was not really mainstream until a few years after it debuted.

Very true about South Park though, in fact I was looking at its ratings history and it seems like it's only been this year that it's finally started to decline in popularity. Through most of its history, the typical South Park episode got about 3 million views on each new episode, but this season apparently it only got about 2 million which is a 35% reduction in popularity or so. I'd say from 1998 to 2011 South Park was pretty relevant culturally.

Yeah Post-Grunge lasted from about 1994 to 2009, it was pretty damn long lived though then again Glam Metal arguably lasted longer, because Ziggy Stardust was 1969 I believe and the genre wasn't 100 percent dead until 1993!

Written By: belmont22 on 12/27/12 at 5:15 pm

I think we're in a transitional zone. On the one hand, if you define Gen Y as ranging from 1977 to 1994, the entire 'young adult' category is now more or less perfectly aligned with our generation, so we're still very relevant, but at the same time it seems like popular music mostly caters to Generation Z.

For a generation that grew up on nu metal, hip hop and neo-R&B there's not too much the 2010s have to offer for the typical Gen Yer.

Written By: belmont22 on 12/27/12 at 5:19 pm

I use to think we were in gen Z (or whatever the next gen is called), but now I think we're still at the tail end of Y.  Are Katy Perry and Carly Rae Jepsen really that much different than Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera?  Granted they're only a few years younger (while their respective fans are 10+ years younger), but I still think we're in gen Y; I'd say by the mid-late 10s (when we start seeing more artists born in the late 90s and early 00s) we'll be in "gen Z culture."

Were Britney and Christina really that much different from Debbie Gibson and Tiffany, and were they much different from the Osmonds and Patridge Family?

I think early 2010s bubblegum pop is very different from late 90s pop. I mean, go back and listen to a couple songs off Baby One More Time. The production and style is completely different from Carly and Katy's music. For one thing it's more cheesy ballads and R&B while Katy Perry's music is more dance pop and emo and Carly's music is synthpop and dance with only a tiny touch of R&B. I do think Carly's "Your Heart Is A Muscle" could fit in with 90s music but not the majority of her album from this year.

Written By: belmont22 on 12/27/12 at 5:23 pm

Erm, there might be some member here born in 1950 or before who won't be thrilled to be called a dinosaur.

Hmmmm. I think it depends but I'd say a cultural generation is shorter than a biological one. For example I'm a late Gen Yer and my parents are late Boomers, but culturally they are two generations removed from me. My oldest cousins born in the 70s are culturally a different generation from both me and my parents.

I think a cultural generation ranges from 13 to 19 years and a biological one tends to be about 25 to 30 years. Gen X in my opinion was short and lasted from 1964 to 1976, the Boomers and Y were both 18 years, 1946-63 and 1977-94, respectively. Those are only approximate datings and of course around the edges membership could go either way. For example if you were born in 1964 or '65 but all your siblings were Baby Boomers I wouldn't necessarily say you are part of Generation X.

I see generations as being blocs that came of age in a similar time. For example, the reason I consider late 70s to mid 90s my generation is because they are young enough to be digital natives but old enough that they don't take it completely for granted, and can remember at least a little bit of the last century and before the Internet and globalization ruled our lives.

Written By: Emman on 12/28/12 at 5:09 am

Were Britney and Christina really that much different from Debbie Gibson and Tiffany, and were they much different from the Osmonds and Patridge Family?

I think early 2010s bubblegum pop is very different from late 90s pop. I mean, go back and listen to a couple songs off Baby One More Time. The production and style is completely different from Carly and Katy's music. For one thing it's more cheesy ballads and R&B while Katy Perry's music is more dance pop and emo and Carly's music is synthpop and dance with only a tiny touch of R&B. I do think Carly's "Your Heart Is A Muscle" could fit in with 90s music but not the majority of her album from this year.

The vast majority of late '90s teen pop sounds like super watered down, Boys 2 Men style R&B.
The new branch of boybands(One Direction, The Wanted) that were popular in '12 are more rooted in the EDM sound that emerged in 2008, their overall styles are pretty different too, like their fashions, hairstyles, ect.

But yeah Katy's late '00s/early '10s production in her songs are more technopop, rock and power pop influenced than Britney's late '90s songs that had much lighter synth sounds and more acoustic packing(same with Christina), Katy could probably be compared more to a more dancy Alanis more than Britney in fact. I think it's the fact that both Britney and Katy(and Christina, Carly, Lady Gaga, ect) fit into the general category of dance-pop that people are making these comparisons about them being similar.

Written By: Howard on 12/28/12 at 6:57 am

They have different sets of fans.

Written By: Paul on 12/28/12 at 7:54 am

When somebody says something like the 'best song/movie to come out in this generation', how many years back would you say a 'generation' implies?

About as many years as it takes to be someone's parent...

...well, ask a silly question (and believe me, there's been many of late!)  ::)

Written By: Lemonmelon on 12/28/12 at 4:47 pm

There is no way that 10 Things I Hate About You belongs to the same "generation" as Avatar.

None of these squirms from 1998 will understand what living before 9/11 meant. I mean they were just turning three when it happened.

Written By: af2010 on 12/28/12 at 6:28 pm

The vast majority of late '90s teen pop sounds like super watered down, Boys 2 Men style R&B.
The new branch of boybands(One Direction, The Wanted) that were popular in '12 are more rooted in the EDM sound that emerged in 2008, their overall styles are pretty different too, like their fashions, hairstyles, ect.

But yeah Katy's late '00s/early '10s production in her songs are more technopop, rock and power pop influenced than Britney's late '90s songs that had much lighter synth sounds and more acoustic packing(same with Christina), Katy could probably be compared more to a more dancy Alanis more than Britney in fact. I think it's the fact that both Britney and Katy(and Christina, Carly, Lady Gaga, ect) fit into the general category of dance-pop that people are making these comparisons about them being similar.

I know the styles/sounds have changed since late 90s teen pop, it's the overall attitude and production that still seems similar.  I do think today's pop might have a slightly 'darker' or more serious tone than late 90s pop, but I still think late 90s pop is much more similar to today's than to late 80s pop, although they all have different styles.  Paula Abdul and NKOTB FEEL like a different generation, early Britney or NSYNC don't (not quite yet, at least).  It's hard to explain but that's just how I see it.

Written By: belmont22 on 12/28/12 at 7:04 pm

I know the styles/sounds have changed since late 90s teen pop, it's the overall attitude and production that still seems similar.  I do think today's pop might have a slightly 'darker' or more serious tone than late 90s pop, but I still think late 90s pop is much more similar to today's than to late 80s pop, although they all have different styles.  Paula Abdul and NKOTB FEEL like a different generation, early Britney or NSYNC don't (not quite yet, at least).  It's hard to explain but that's just how I see it.

That's because Paula and New Kids are from the very late 80s/very early 90s and thus are nearly a quarter century ago, but if this was 1999 they'd probably seem like 'this generation' to you. Actually Jordan Knight has a fairly successful solo career while the BSB and NSYNC were popular, I remember hearing about him. When was the last time Justin Timberlake had a hit single, 2007 or something?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 12/28/12 at 7:23 pm

That's because Paula and New Kids are from the very late 80s/very early 90s and thus are nearly a quarter century ago, but if this was 1999 they'd probably seem like 'this generation' to you. Actually Jordan Knight has a fairly successful solo career while the BSB and NSYNC were popular, I remember hearing about him. When was the last time Justin Timberlake had a hit single, 2007 or something?

When I was in middle school in 1999 that style did not seem like the current generation at all.

Written By: af2010 on 12/28/12 at 7:25 pm

Could be.  Maybe we're in a transitional phase.  Millenium era teen pop just seems a lot closer to today's than to late 80s/early 90s when comparing the 3 (imo).

Written By: af2010 on 12/28/12 at 7:28 pm

When I was in middle school in 1999 that style did not seem like the current generation at all.

Completely agree.  I don't think I even knew who they were at the time.

Written By: joeman on 12/28/12 at 7:29 pm

Mid 80s.

That may be true for us, but culturally we turn 10-12 before the Gen Y era begin, which puts us at the very end of the cusp imo.

That said, I think core Y starts around 1989-1990 or so.  I see those kids in my workplace and they are nice, humble, socially connected via internet, and have no sense of sarcasm or anything else that was a trait of Gen X.  I don't see how they are entitled though, as many so called social commentaries say.  I do see them as naive and possibly emotional weak, at compared to the previous generations.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 12/28/12 at 7:31 pm

Could be.  Maybe we're in a transitional phase.  Millenium era teen pop just seems a lot closer to today's than to late 80s/early 90s when comparing the 3 (imo).

I see them all as equally distant from each other. Millenial teen pop had a lot more about cheesy ballads. The teen pop today doesn't really have the ballads they used to. 

Written By: Howard on 12/28/12 at 7:35 pm

Justin Timberlake, his last was I think in 2007.

Written By: belmont22 on 12/28/12 at 8:16 pm

Maybe that's because you were a tiny child in 1989/1990. If you were old enough to remember well, you might feel like they were more similar.

I actually remember my stepdad saying Britney was a fad and that she'd fade out like Tiffany did 10 years before. Kind of funny because he was so wrong! In a way he was right though - because Britney had to change her music a lot by the time "Slave 4 U" came out.

Written By: belmont22 on 12/28/12 at 8:43 pm

That may be true for us, but culturally we turn 10-12 before the Gen Y era begin, which puts us at the very end of the cusp imo.

That said, I think core Y starts around 1989-1990 or so.  I see those kids in my workplace and they are nice, humble, socially connected via internet, and have no sense of sarcasm or anything else that was a trait of Gen X.  I don't see how they are entitled though, as many so called social commentaries say.  I do see them as naive and possibly emotional weak, at compared to the previous generations.

I'd actually say the mid 80s born are the last that really got to benefit from the economic boom that lasted all the way from the 1930s to the mid 2000s (I'm talking about the United States here mostly).

Written By: belmont22 on 12/28/12 at 8:44 pm

I guess to favor your point I do think that most of today's teenagers at least know who the Backstreet Boys and NSYNC are. I hope! Lmao

Written By: belmont22 on 12/28/12 at 8:46 pm

I see them all as equally distant from each other. Millenial teen pop had a lot more about cheesy ballads. The teen pop today doesn't really have the ballads they used to.

I agree, I see the late-80s, late-90s and early-10s teen pop waves as all being pretty different.

Written By: Lemonmelon on 12/28/12 at 8:46 pm

I'd actually say the mid 80s born are the last that really got to benefit from the economic boom that lasted all the way from the 1930s to the mid 2000s (I'm talking about the United States here mostly).

2006 and 2007 were still pretty good.

Written By: belmont22 on 12/28/12 at 8:52 pm

Interesting, I thought sarcasm was still in vogue but I hope you're right about it being in decline because I actually hate sarcasm.

But one thing I notice about Gen Y, and it's especially pronounced from late 80s borns onward, is that they are very close to their families. Baby Boomers and Gen X had this idea that your family was uncool and it was best to stay away from them, they had similar ideas about old people and little kids too. That's a bit of an exaggeration of course most Boomers and Xers love their families but as teens they seemed to have gone through phases of rebellion against their parents while Gen Y seems for the most part very close to their parents from birth onward without any sort of rebellion.

And you hear about say, Justin Bieber talking about how much he loves spending time with his grandparents. Of course his grandparents are pretty young since he was born to a teen mom, but even someone ten years older than him born in 1984 would be more likely to dread the 'boring' visits to see grandma!  ;D

I think Generation Y and especially the 90s-born part of the generation are very family oriented and tend to value their elders and small children. They also seem more into working hard than older people did at their age, today's teens and young adults seem for the most part very into capitalism and getting good grades.

Gen Y is in many ways a pretty conservative generation, in the sense of their values but not in the sense of being parochial or exclusive.

Written By: Lemonmelon on 12/28/12 at 9:04 pm

2000: NOT part of "this generation"

2002: NOT part of "this generation"

2004: NOT part of "this generation"

2006: Kind of still part of this generation, weakly though

2008: Pretty much still "this generation"

2010: Still "this generation"

2012: Oh come on what did you think I would write here

2014: Don't expect me to comment

Written By: nintieskid999 on 12/28/12 at 9:05 pm

Interesting, I thought sarcasm was still in vogue but I hope you're right about it being in decline because I actually hate sarcasm.

But one thing I notice about Gen Y, and it's especially pronounced from late 80s borns onward, is that they are very close to their families. Baby Boomers and Gen X had this idea that your family was uncool and it was best to stay away from them, they had similar ideas about old people and little kids too. That's a bit of an exaggeration of course most Boomers and Xers love their families but as teens they seemed to have gone through phases of rebellion against their parents while Gen Y seems for the most part very close to their parents from birth onward without any sort of rebellion.

And you hear about say, Justin Bieber talking about how much he loves spending time with his grandparents. Of course his grandparents are pretty young since he was born to a teen mom, but even someone ten years older than him born in 1984 would be more likely to dread the 'boring' visits to see grandma!  ;D

I think Generation Y and especially the 90s-born part of the generation are very family oriented and tend to value their elders and small children. They also seem more into working hard than older people did at their age, today's teens and young adults seem for the most part very into capitalism and getting good grades.

Gen Y is in many ways a pretty conservative generation, in the sense of their values but not in the sense of being parochial or exclusive.

I think Gen Y is a generation that basically hates the idea of anyone making any sort of profit and basically wants everything owned and controlled by the state supporting things like trans fat bans. They also are unlikely to see varying circumstances and write people off as morons or naive if they happen to make different decisions not based on what the news media tells them.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 12/28/12 at 9:26 pm

I honestly think Generation Z will be our only hope.

Written By: Emman on 12/29/12 at 12:35 am

I agree, I see the late-80s, late-90s and early-10s teen pop waves as all being pretty different.

Haven't you noticed that in every decade since the 1950s teen pop/bubblegum pop music has been resurgent around the cusps of the decades, and I'm not trying to invoke decadeology or anything.

Written By: belmont22 on 12/29/12 at 12:44 am

Haven't you noticed that in every decade since the 1950s teen pop/bubblegum pop music has been resurgent around the cusps of the decades, and I'm not trying to invoke decadeology or anything.

I have actually. At least in America. I also notice that the popularity of British music and African American music tends to go in similar cycles as well.

Written By: Howard on 12/29/12 at 7:08 am

Maybe that's because you were a tiny child in 1989/1990. If you were old enough to remember well, you might feel like they were more similar.

probably in the way they told stories in their music videos.

Check for new replies or respond here...