inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: This show was taped in front of a live studio audience...

Written By: snozberries on 12/29/12 at 2:28 pm

remember that fabulous tag line from the 70s and I think it was still used in the early 80s?

anyway-  I wonder what TV shows, if any, anyone has seen taped live?  And if you haven't been part of a TV Studio Audience which shows (specific episodes?) Do you wish you had been in the audience for?

Most of you know I do this thing a lot so my list will be long. I will refrain from listing particular episodes, unless someone asks  ;) 

Shows I've been to.....

Mike & Molly
Joey
That 70s Show
NewsRadio
The Sherri Shepherd Show
Big Bang Theory
Hot in Cleveland
Sullivan and Son

Romantically Challenged (two seasons before it got picked up) they shot a pilot Spring 09 then they revamped & reshot it sping '10, it got picked up in Fall 2010 and canceled in winter---  I saw the first pilot.

PILOTS for shows that were never picked up:

Restoration Hardware,  with Alyson Hannigan
Untitled, with Michelle Trachtenberg
some others that were so insignificant I cannot recall them

TALK SHOWS/GAME SHOWS:

Ellen
The Talk
Craig Ferguson
Let's Make a Deal
The Soup

I know i'll be naming more in my sleep but I just can't remember them right now (I didn't include sets I've been on that do not film in front of a studio audience)

Subject: Re: This show was taped in front of a live studio audience...

Written By: snozberries on 12/29/12 at 2:41 pm

I'm purposely not including shows i'm too young to have seen taped (or shows that I wasn't even alive for)  the shows on my list I probably could've seen live if I lived in the LA area at the time and I know such a thing was possible.

Shows I wish I'd seen taped live:

Facts of Life
Designing Women
Roseanne
Grace Under Fire
Friends

Written By: warped on 12/29/12 at 2:46 pm

Nice topic.

I once was in the audience for a a Canadian TV show called "Magic Tom" in Montreal. I don't even remember the year but it was in the very early 1970s.  He did some magic acts. I hardly recall anything from that show though.

I doubt anyone here ever heard of that Canadian show.

Written By: snozberries on 12/29/12 at 2:49 pm

Nice topic.

I once was in the audience for a a Canadian TV show called "Magic Tom" in Montreal. I don't even remember the year but it was in the very early 1970s.  He did some magic acts. I hardly recall anything from that show though.

I haven't but that's still cool... I love magic!

Written By: warped on 12/29/12 at 2:50 pm

Joey

Ever meet Lucy Liu? 

Written By: snozberries on 12/29/12 at 2:54 pm

Ever meet Lucy Liu?

Lucy Liu? no.... I wasn't at any of her tapings but I was at one of the ones Carmen Electra appeared on... not as exciting for me as that would've been for you  ;D 

Written By: warped on 12/29/12 at 2:55 pm

I haven't but that's still cool... I love magic!

I just googled the show, it was on CTV between 1961 and 1976.  Maybe Cat might have seen it. If we got American TV by antenna back then, she may have got Canadian TV by antenna reception too.

Written By: warped on 12/29/12 at 2:56 pm

Lucy Liu? no.... I wasn't at any of her tapings but I was at one of the ones Carmen Electra appeared on... not as exciting for me as that would've been for you  ;D

I guess she wasn't at the Joey tapings. Yeah, Lucy Liu's  kinda cute. I liked her on Ally Mcbeal as well.

Written By: snozberries on 12/29/12 at 2:56 pm

I just googled the show, it was on CTV between 1961 and 1976.  Maybe Cat might have seen it. If we got American TV by antenna back then, she may have got Canadian TV by antenna reception too.

Maybe, in the 70s and 80s PBS played some canadian shows as well so maybe they aired that....

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/29/12 at 3:18 pm

I've only ever attended two show tapings in my life, and both of those were on my aforementioned family vacation to Nickelodeon Studios in Orlando back in 1996. One of the shows was Gullah Gullah Island, and the other was the game show Double Dare.

My Uncle, on the other hand, once attended a taping of Seinfeld back in it's heyday in the mid 90's. Now that is probably at the very top of my "wish list" of shows I would have loved to have seen taped live.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/29/12 at 3:20 pm

Nope. Didn't live THAT close to Canada to pick up on Canadian tv. We lived close to NYC to pick up on the city's t.v.

When I was living in Mass., I was supposed to be in the audience of a kids show called "The Strummer Drummer." It was a Howdy Dowdy-like show, only the host played the guitar & drums-thus the name. When we arrived for the shows taping, we were told that the host had a death in his family and wasn't going to film-and they were showing a repeat. So, there went my 15 seconds of fame.

When I was in 9th grade, I lived in Tulsa, OK. My sister was dating a guy who worked at one of the local t.v. stations. For one of my classes, I did a project with 4 other girls on radio & television. Because of my sister's boyfriend, we were able to get a tour of the studio and interview a bunch of the local personalities including the news anchor & the host of the kids show there. We also got to take our pic of the 5 of us at the news desk. I wish I had a copy of that pic.

We also went to other stations and radio stations, too. It was really a fun project to work on-not to mention being allow to get out of school to do all of our interviews.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 12/29/12 at 3:32 pm

sounds like a great project Cat!  I would've loved to have done something like that in 9th grade

Written By: warped on 12/29/12 at 3:45 pm

Nope. Didn't live THAT close to Canada to pick up on Canadian tv. We lived close to NYC to pick up on the city's t.v.

Got ya...maybe Max might have heard of it.

When I was in 9th grade, I lived in Tulsa, OK. My sister was dating a guy who worked at one of the local t.v. stations. For one of my classes, I did a project with 4 other girls on radio & television. Because of my sister's boyfriend, we were able to get a tour of the studio and interview a bunch of the local personalities including the news anchor & the host of the kids show there. We also got to take our pic of the 5 of us at the news desk. I wish I had a copy of that pic.

We also went to other stations and radio stations, too. It was really a fun project to work on-not to mention being allow to get out of school to do all of our interviews.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Nice!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/29/12 at 4:16 pm

sounds like a great project Cat!  I would've loved to have done something like that in 9th grade

Yeah, it was. I can't really remember what the other groups had. I only recalled one other group who had firefighters-they went to local firehouses and interviewed firefighters, etc.

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 12/29/12 at 6:02 pm

Nice topic.

I can't say as I know of that one, but if you lived in Montreal, you didn't try to be in the audience for 'The Mad Dash'?  That show had the coolest prizes:  Car for a Day, Shirts, Disco Date, Pen and Pencil set, Dinner for 2 at "The Rib Tickler" (just around the corner from Olympic Stadium) lol

The Mad Dash is one show I always wanted to be in the audience for, but when it went off the air, I was just a kid so no chance for me

Written By: warped on 12/29/12 at 6:07 pm

I can't say as I know of that one, but if you lived in Montreal, you didn't try to be in the audience for 'The Mad Dash'?  That show had the coolest prizes:  Car for a Day, Shirts, Disco Date, Pen and Pencil set, Dinner for 2 at "The Rib Tickler" (just around the corner from Olympic Stadium) lol

The Mad Dash is one show I always wanted to be in the audience for, but when it went off the air, I was just a kid so no chance for me

I used to watch the "Mad dash" on TV, I liked that one. Cheap prizes.

Written By: whistledog on 12/29/12 at 6:13 pm

I used to watch the "Mad dash" on TV, I liked that one. Cheap prizes.

The disco club (I cannot remember what the name of it is) where the contestants would go if they won the "Disco Date", I always wanted to go there, until I learned that it's since become somne kind of sex night club lol

Written By: warped on 12/29/12 at 6:16 pm

The disco club (I cannot remember what the name of it is) where the contestants would go if they won the "Disco Date", I always wanted to go there, until I learned that it's since become somne kind of sex night club lol

ha! I don't recall the disco date.
Sometimes the winner would get (let's say) $170. So Pierre Lalonde (the MC) would pull out some wallet, and start putting $20 on the table, one after the other...so cheap compared to American game shows in the same era. But it was fun to watch!

Written By: nally on 02/23/13 at 1:01 am

The sitcom "Step By Step", which ran for 7 seasons during the 90's, was taped at the WB studios in Burbank, CA. I actually got to see an episode of it filmed in early 1995. Took 3+ hours to film all the scenes, but it was lots of fun to watch. Now I know where all the laughter and oohing comes from!

Written By: snozberries on 02/23/13 at 9:51 am

The sitcom "Step By Step", which ran for 7 seasons during the 90's, was taped at the WB studios in Burbank, CA. I actually got to see an episode of it filmed in early 1995. Took 3+ hours to film all the scenes, but it was lots of fun to watch. Now I know where all the laughter and oohing comes from!

Which episode?

Written By: nally on 02/23/13 at 3:57 pm

Which episode?

The episode in which Cody gets zapped each time he randomly utters the word "dude", in an effort to help him stop saying it so much around other people. (Dana gives him the shock therapy everytime he says it.) Meanwhile, a very pregnant Carol worries about her appearance, particularly after Frank begins helping his very attractive ex-girlfriend with organizing her bedroom. The title of that episode is "She Came In Through The Bedroom Window", and it aired March 17, 1995. (It was filmed eight weeks earlier, on January 20th.)

Check for new replies or respond here...