inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ever thought about writing about your childhood years?

Written By: Jock on 01/01/13 at 11:10 am

I like writing and I've written several pages with my childhood experiences. Since I grew up in front of the TV it's hard to avoid mentioning pop culture phenomenons and fads. Have you ever thought about writing about your childhood and teen years? Would you include pop culture?

Subject: Re: Ever thought about writing about your childhood years?

Written By: snozberries on 01/01/13 at 12:49 pm

we had a member here who did that he hasn't been around in a while and I suspect he only joined to promote his book...but at least he joined! *hint*

It's a fun read....

Paperback:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Snitch-Houdini-Death-defying-Misadventure/dp/0615386938/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357066059&sr=8-1&keywords=snitch+houdini+and+me

Kindle:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Snitch-Houdini-Death-defying-ebook/dp/B004DUN0IM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1357066059&sr=8-2&keywords=snitch+houdini+and+me

Written By: warped on 01/01/13 at 3:23 pm

Yes, I did.

I started writing all about my childhood and things that happened, I wrote 40 pages. That I decided to use my imagination and I got 125 pages down, typed up.  It has actual events and incidents, mixed in with a bit on fiction and pop culture. I've had 7 people read it so far, they like it.

I've gone to 2 publishers, so far no one wants to read it. If you are a "nobody", it's quite difficult to even get a publisher to consider you. If I get the money one day, I'll publish it myself.

Written By: snozberries on 01/01/13 at 3:35 pm

Yes, I did.

I started writing all about my childhood and things that happened, I wrote 40 pages. That I decided to use my imagination and I got 125 pages down, typed up.  It has actual events and incidents, mixed in with a bit on fiction and pop culture. I've had 7 people read it so far, they like it.

I've gone to 2 publishers, so far no one wants to read it. If you are a "nobody", it's quite difficult to even get a publisher to consider you. If I get the money one day, I'll publish it myself.

sounds interesting! *hint*

Written By: warped on 01/01/13 at 3:54 pm

sounds interesting! *hint*

Either you are expressing some interest in reading it, or you are gonna foot the bill for me to publish it... ;)

Written By: snozberries on 01/01/13 at 3:56 pm

Either you are expressing some interest in reading it, or you are gonna foot the bill for me to publish it... ;)

take your pick... basically you're half right!  :D

Written By: warped on 01/01/13 at 4:02 pm

take your pick... basically you're half right!  :D

Got it. You are gonna foot 1/2 the bill & read 1/2 the story (by reading the whole thing...but every 2nd word) :D
;D

Written By: snozberries on 01/01/13 at 4:04 pm

Got it. You are gonna foot 1/2 the bill & read 1/2 the story (by reading the whole thing...but every 2nd word) :D
;D

I can't believe you totally guessed that right!!!  :D

Written By: wildcard on 01/01/13 at 4:14 pm

I did a parody of American Pie that I think covered pretty much everything I could remember until my hearing loss in 2003.  I ought to look at it again and think about starting a part 2 if I can.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/01/13 at 6:07 pm

we had a member here who did that he hasn't been around in a while and I suspect he only joined to promote his book...but at least he joined! *hint*

It's a fun read....

Paperback:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Snitch-Houdini-Death-defying-Misadventure/dp/0615386938/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357066059&sr=8-1&keywords=snitch+houdini+and+me

Kindle:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Snitch-Houdini-Death-defying-ebook/dp/B004DUN0IM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1357066059&sr=8-2&keywords=snitch+houdini+and+me

I remember that. I only read some of the excerpts from it and it seemed pretty funny.  I haven't bought it yet-but I was meaning to. And yeah, I agree that he probably only wanted to promote his book.

Yes, I did.

I can read the other half-and I will let Q foot the bill.  ;) :D ;D ;D

I have thought about writing the story of my life but I don't think anyone will believe it. I could tell the story about going down to NYC when I was about 6 to audition for commercials. They wanted to sign me up by my parents didn't think it was a good idea. (I could have been a contenda.) I could tell the story about how I, along with three of my sisters and my mother, plus 5 cats all lived in a one room motel room for about 6 months.  :o :o :o Or I could tell the story about being the new kid on the block over and over and over again. I went to 11 different schools before I graduated. Some schools, I only attended for a month. One school, I enrolled but never attended classes there.  ??? (I don't count that one as the 11 schools.) Or I could tell the story how Davy Jones-yes THAT Davy Jones, was supposed to attend a party at our house (just like Marcia Brady) but he didn't.  :\'( :\'( :\'( But, Mary Jo Catlett did attend. Or I could tell the story of when I was 13 and I lived with my dad but he was away a lot so I spent DAYS/NIGHTS at a time all by myself.

Like I said, no one would believe those stories. And YES they are ALL TRUE!!!!

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 01/01/13 at 6:14 pm

I remember that. I only read some of the excerpts from it and it seemed pretty funny.  I haven't bought it yet-but I was meaning to. And yeah, I agree that he probably only wanted to promote his book.

I can read the other half-and I will let Q foot the bill.  ;) :D ;D ;D

I have thought about writing the story of my life but I don't think anyone will believe it. I could tell the story about going down to NYC when I was about 6 to audition for commercials. They wanted to sign me up by my parents didn't think it was a good idea. (I could have been a contenda.) I could tell the story about how I, along with three of my sisters and my mother, plus 5 cats all lived in a one room motel room for about 6 months.  :o :o :o Or I could tell the story about being the new kid on the block over and over and over again. I went to 11 different schools before I graduated. Some schools, I only attended for a month. One school, I enrolled but never attended classes there.  ??? (I don't count that one as the 11 schools.) Or I could tell the story how Davy Jones-yes THAT Davy Jones, was supposed to attend a party at our house (just like Marcia Brady) but he didn't.  :\'( :\'( :\'( But, Mary Jo Catlett did attend. Or I could tell the story of when I was 13 and I lived with my dad but he was away a lot so I spent DAYS/NIGHTS at a time all by myself.

Like I said, no one would believe those stories. And YES they are ALL TRUE!!!!

Cat

MARY JO CATTLETT WAS ON GH!!!!!  :o

okay so I have to know...why take you to NY to audition if they weren't gonna let you do it.... sounds like an exercise in futility to me!  :-\\

All my stories would begin and end with me watching TV  :D 

I was however published in a publication the UCSB Film Studies dept puts out.. I was in the 01 edition, they only have the 08-current online right now...  It was all about me trying to find my identity in TV. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/01/13 at 6:49 pm

MARY JO CATTLETT WAS ON GH!!!!!  :o

okay so I have to know...why take you to NY to audition if they weren't gonna let you do it.... sounds like an exercise in futility to me!  :-\\

All my stories would begin and end with me watching TV  :D 

I was however published in a publication the UCSB Film Studies dept puts out.. I was in the 01 edition, they only have the 08-current online right now...  It was all about me trying to find my identity in TV.

I know Mary Jo was on GH. She was also on M*A*S*H, Diff'ent Strokes, Sponge Bob, etc. but is was WAY before any of that.

Yeah, I know what you mean about why would they? I think what happened was my mother & I went down. They wanted to sign me up then and there but my mother said, "Whoa! I need to talk this over with my husband first." I think they were going to allow me to do it until my (first grade) teacher said, "If anyone can excape this unharmed, it is 'Cat'." Yup-my teacher knew about the child actor syndrom and that scared the bejesus out of my mother and she said, "NO WAY!!!!" at that point.

Cat 

Written By: snozberries on 01/01/13 at 6:52 pm

I know Mary Jo was on GH. She was also on M*A*S*H, Diff'ent Strokes, Sponge Bob, etc. but is was WAY before any of that.

Yeah, I know what you mean about why would they? I think what happened was my mother & I went down. They wanted to sign me up then and there but my mother said, "Whoa! I need to talk this over with my husband first." I think they were going to allow me to do it until my (first grade) teacher said, "If anyone can excape this unharmed, it is 'Cat'." Yup-my teacher knew about the child actor syndrom and that scared the bejesus out of my mother and she said, "NO WAY!!!!" at that point.

Cat

I know she was in all those other things but GH was the important one!  :D

too bad your mom didn't follow thru... just think you could have had a picture with me too!!!  ;D 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/01/13 at 7:03 pm

I know she was in all those other things but GH was the important one!  :D

too bad your mom didn't follow thru... just think you could have had a picture with me too!!!  ;D

I often thought about WHAT IF? But, to tell you the truth, I really like where I am now and if my mother said yes all those years ago, who knows where I would be right now. I may have ended up like Dana Plato.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/01/13 at 7:07 pm

I thought about it but the writing would be so long so I'd say not right now.

Written By: snozberries on 01/01/13 at 7:10 pm

I often thought about WHAT IF? But, to tell you the truth, I really like where I am now and if my mother said yes all those years ago, who knows where I would be right now. I may have ended up like Dana Plato.  :-\\

Cat

unlikely..... she was messed up to begin with... the acting gig just accelerated her deterioration... all that cash made it easier to get better/more drugs....even if she hadn't acted she'd be a drug addicted probably...then she'd be dead sooner (poor quality drugs) or later (not enough money to buy the kinds of drugs that killed her  :-\\

Written By: warped on 01/03/13 at 10:13 am

I can't believe you totally guessed that right!!!  :D

Thanks for taking an interest in my book, I got your e-mail reply that you received it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/03/13 at 11:06 am

Thanks for taking an interest in my book, I got your e-mail reply that you received it.

Oh sure. You send it to her but not to me?  :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: warped on 01/03/13 at 12:51 pm

Oh sure. You send it to her but not to me?  :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

You would like to see it too? ( wasn't sure)
It will be on it's way shortly.

Written By: Lemonmelon on 01/03/13 at 1:59 pm

www.retrojunk.com is full of childhood memories with pop culture.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/04/13 at 12:34 pm

Yes, I did.

I have vignettes and recollections written down in various places.  I recently wrote a bunch of lurid stuff for my ongoing therapy. 

My sister wrote a very long memoir and even had made friends with a publishing agent from NYC.  Being U. she got all pissy and possessive when it came to the editing process.  I said, "Look, U., I devoured all 600 pages because it's about my life too.  But nobody else is going to read a 600-page memoir unless it's buy Heidi Fleiss or something."  Her agent told her pretty much the same thing, but U. locked it away and never touched it again.

The thing is, the story of our background and our upbringing is eminently publishable.  My hook will be the dysfunctional side of the counterculture.  I've got "Linda Kasabian was my babysitter" and that's just the beginning.  U. is too narcissistic to write it effectively.  That will fall to me.  I'm narcissistic, but not too. 

I thought to be really honest I'd have to wait until my parents are dead, but with my luck, they'll outlive me!
::)

Written By: Goodogbadog on 01/08/13 at 5:20 pm

No, go ahead and write it! It doesn't matter if they are DEAD or not. If you are going to write it, write it!!!  It's not going to hurt THEM! What do THEY have to lose?  ;D

Written By: Goodogbadog on 01/09/13 at 11:52 am

And PLUS, you can write it under a pseudonym, such as "Maxwell Q. Smart" and no one will know!! Not even your parents, if you don't want them to. Hey, why don't you ask them what they think?  :D

C'mon! The world NEEDS you!!!

Written By: nally on 07/06/16 at 2:38 pm

I actually wrote about a few of my childhood years during some of them, namely from age 11 through 15, when I kept a diary. In addition, I might have written about some of my memories of them in subsequent years.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/06/16 at 2:46 pm

I read a few paragraphs of his book, pretty great writing.  8)

Written By: Howard on 07/06/16 at 2:51 pm

I actually wrote about a few of my childhood years during some of them, namely from age 11 through 15, when I kept a diary. In addition, I might have written about some of my memories of them in subsequent years.

I keep a diary in my closet from 30 years ago. :)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/06/16 at 4:01 pm

I actually wish I could write something about my childhood years. Ever since 2014, I kept longing about my nostalgia for them. I thought it could be a good idea to talk about it here, but I just don't really talk a lot about my personal memories. So, maybe I could write a diary about my childhood memories, just like nally did in his teens.

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/06/16 at 5:04 pm

I kind of did that in my series. It expresses the energy I felt from then that's nostalgia.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/06/16 at 6:03 pm

I kind of did that in my series. It expresses the energy I felt from then that's nostalgia.

You had a written series about your childhood before?

Written By: nally on 07/07/21 at 10:09 pm

I keep a diary in my closet from 30 years ago. :)

I keep mine safely packed in a storage box.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/07/21 at 11:19 pm

I have various journals and diaries from my adolescence and my 20s. :)

Written By: Howard on 07/08/21 at 4:41 am

I keep mine safely packed in a storage box.

I don't really look at mine anymore except when I have to clean out my closet.

Check for new replies or respond here...