inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rank 2000 - 2012

Written By: Lemonmelon on 01/04/13 at 1:41 pm

This list combines pop culture and general life experience to determine which years since 2000 have been hot and which have been not.

13. 2011 - Sure, some of the music from this year was good and even a bit of other media but at the same time, it is a perfect example of why the term "world gone mad" exists. It did have good moments but is certainly not a year to miss living through. Almost worth forgetting to be brutally honest - on second thought maybe that's too brutal but this year was still awful.

12. 2009 - If it weren't for an acceptable lifestyle (barely), with good television and some good music, this could've been doomed to be a complete disappointment. It was almost as if this year was about taking all the great aspects of 2008 and ripping them apart. Maybe a time machine for a second chance at living through the year could make the year awesome but the recorded history version of this year is seriously flawed.

11. 2006 - Pop culture seemed to be going downhill (or maybe it was 2005) but things were still passable, notably television and movies. Like 2009, this is a year that could be made better on a relive, but it's also a good thing that it's over.

10. 2010 - This year was good, just now historically overshadowed and tainted. No complaints however pop culture-wise. A good year with a very amazing ending - though the amazing factor seems to come with a twist in the historical sense.

9. 2005 - This year had both high and lows. Musically brilliant. Outstanding television. Possibly the last acceptable year of video games as well. But also the year where society seemed to begin a downhill turn. Faith in humanity seemed to begin it's fading spiral this year - what a shame.

8. 2003 - This year is hard to judge. There are lots of good elements yet lots of potential flaws in the process. Not a particularly notable year of video gaming despite being a good one. Films and music were good but nothing overly special. One of the best years for television though.

7. 2002 - This was a great year but it was outclassed one way or another by other years. Television was good, just not the best. Video games were good, just not the best. Music was good, but not the best. Films were okay too, but not the best. Lifestyle was good, but not the best. It is a middle-of-the-pack year in the bunch.

6. 2007 - This is a year better left in the past. Not because it was bad but because there is no motivation to go back and change what happened - maybe a little but it was good enough to leave it untainted with satisfaction. The lifestyle was amazing. Pop culture was weak but it was good. Just lesser compared to the greats.

5. 2008 - This year began with the carry-over lifestyle of 2007, which was a good thing. It had a cool middle and great ending. One problem - some pop culture was fine but other pop culture was Lady Gaga and co. In retrospect, it can be somewhat brushed off as an inevitable mis-step, but the pill was hard to swallow at the time. However, that doesn't take away from the lifestyle element.

4. 2004 - This year has a few daggers, but the lifestyle and pop culture was fantastic. Okay for video games, great music and even greater television. Wonderful, wonderful times.

3. 2001 - The aftermath of 2000, this year was much, much more than just 9/11, despite how some people judge this year. It is often forgotten just how awesome this year and it's surrounding years were, which is a shame - but I remember.

2. 2012 - The golden year in terms of having the knowledge of life itself. Pop culture was unexpectedly awesome and lifestyle is one that will never be matched.

1. 2000 - In nearly any element imaginable, this year delivers. Whether it's video games, television, music, movies or just general lifestyle, this is a year that just won't be beat. There is no way in this world that the platinum year could ever be dethroned.

Subject: Re: Rank 2000 - 2012

Written By: thenewtattoo on 01/04/13 at 4:36 pm

This list combines pop culture and general life experience to determine which years since 2000 have been hot and which have been not.

13. 2011 - Sure, some of the music from this year was good and even a bit of other media but at the same time, it is a perfect example of why the term "world gone mad" exists. It did have good moments but is certainly not a year to miss living through. Almost worth forgetting to be brutally honest - on second thought maybe that's too brutal but this year was still awful.

12. 2009 - If it weren't for an acceptable lifestyle (barely), with good television and some good music, this could've been doomed to be a complete disappointment. It was almost as if this year was about taking all the great aspects of 2008 and ripping them apart. Maybe a time machine for a second chance at living through the year could make the year awesome but the recorded history version of this year is seriously flawed.

11. 2006 - Pop culture seemed to be going downhill (or maybe it was 2005) but things were still passable, notably television and movies. Like 2009, this is a year that could be made better on a relive, but it's also a good thing that it's over.

10. 2010 - This year was good, just now historically overshadowed and tainted. No complaints however pop culture-wise. A good year with a very amazing ending - though the amazing factor seems to come with a twist in the historical sense.

9. 2005 - This year had both high and lows. Musically brilliant. Outstanding television. Possibly the last acceptable year of video games as well. But also the year where society seemed to begin a downhill turn. Faith in humanity seemed to begin it's fading spiral this year - what a shame.

8. 2003 - This year is hard to judge. There are lots of good elements yet lots of potential flaws in the process. Not a particularly notable year of video gaming despite being a good one. Films and music were good but nothing overly special. One of the best years for television though.

7. 2002 - This was a great year but it was outclassed one way or another by other years. Television was good, just not the best. Video games were good, just not the best. Music was good, but not the best. Films were okay too, but not the best. Lifestyle was good, but not the best. It is a middle-of-the-pack year in the bunch.

6. 2007 - This is a year better left in the past. Not because it was bad but because there is no motivation to go back and change what happened - maybe a little but it was good enough to leave it untainted with satisfaction. The lifestyle was amazing. Pop culture was weak but it was good. Just lesser compared to the greats.

5. 2008 - This year began with the carry-over lifestyle of 2007, which was a good thing. It had a cool middle and great ending. One problem - some pop culture was fine but other pop culture was Lady Gaga and co. In retrospect, it can be somewhat brushed off as an inevitable mis-step, but the pill was hard to swallow at the time. However, that doesn't take away from the lifestyle element.

4. 2004 - This year has a few daggers, but the lifestyle and pop culture was fantastic. Okay for video games, great music and even greater television. Wonderful, wonderful times.

3. 2001 - The aftermath of 2000, this year was much, much more than just 9/11, despite how some people judge this year. It is often forgotten just how awesome this year and it's surrounding years were, which is a shame - but I remember.

2. 2012 - The golden year in terms of having the knowledge of life itself. Pop culture was unexpectedly awesome and lifestyle is one that will never be matched.

1. 2000 - In nearly any element imaginable, this year delivers. Whether it's video games, television, music, movies or just general lifestyle, this is a year that just won't be beat. There is no way in this world that the platinum year could ever be dethroned.

Ok here is my rankings , feel free 2 debate me if you feel I should be debated =)

13. 2007 - Easily one of the worst years of the 2000s. This lands  at the bottom of the list because of its emptyness factor. It had nothing new aside from 2006 leftovers. Iphone is the only thing that makes this year worth taking a closer look at. I agree pop culture had no motivation at this time and was just horrible. Spider man 3 was a flop as well as The Simpsons movie.  2007 is easily a flop for pop culture and lifestyle. 

12. 2012 -  A very reflective year I think for everyone in the world.  This was the year alot of truths came to the surface. This year had alot of tragic events. Pop culture got a lil better tho. I would say 2012 was the lets wait and see year.  But Once again this spot earns number 12 due to the tragic events at the end that taint this somewhat passable year.

11. 2003 - This year got rid of any teen pop that was left. At the start of the year 50 cent made hip hop the norm and  alot of ppl started copying eminems baggy pants at this point. Esp the term wigger becomes popular. This year also made the oc and cali lifestyle a trend that would last a few years.  Other than that there is nothing memorable about this year and has a dark vibe to it.

10. 2001-  Very good year for pop culture. Still had a 90s feel to it. 9 11 makes this year come in at 10    because it was one of the worse things to ever happen to us in recent memory. 9-11 overshadows how good this year was & is tainted.

9. 2009 - The only thing good about this year is Dance pop getting bigger and more accepted. The Summer of this year was pretty zzzzzzzzzzzz with nothing new. We had just gotten of the 2008 crash and 2009 was like shock. 2009  also has a lot of people become unemployed and also had alot of stores closed down.  The ending of this year saved this year from earning the last spot on the list.

8. 2010- A good year for pop culture. Music this year gets  very interesting. There really is nothing bad to say about this year.  Emo dies a tragic death thankfully at the start of this year earning it a  9 spot on the top list.

7. 2000 - this year was 1999 part 2. Nothing really bad happened this year. Teen pop peaked at this time &  Oops i did it again was a smash.  Not really much to say about this year. This year earns the 7 spot due to other years outclassing it.

6. 2002 -.  this year was fun.  Had some fun moments like skater boi coming out. 2002 had this anything goes vibe 2 it that is very memorable. Video Games were ok. Movies kinda sucked this year. This was the first post 9-11 year . This year was ok tho.

5. 2011 -  A very fast year with many changes like ows. Dance pop kinda peaked this year. This year was not the best ............ But it is passable. Also Osama was found this year creating a very special moment of ppl running in the streets.

4. 2008 - This year started with a classic 2000s vibe and eneded with the late 00s vibe. The start of this year felt like a normal 00s decade but halfway  music changed to electropop. The economy crashed leaving alot of ppl in shock. . Obama became the first African American President which was amazing. This was the year you saw alot of going green campaigns.  Because this is a very very crazy year with a classic feeling & modern feeling at the end  it gets the 5 spot.  It has so many moments theres no way you can not put this on 5.

3. 2004 - This year started off rocky.  The last 4 months of this year were amazing and kicked off the mypace /emo era. The last 4 months of this year are what really save it. 
Music was somewhat decent. Video Games were good as well. Mtv was somewhat decent this year and actually had Trl on tv.

2. 2006 - This year would have the number one spot, it had everything fantastic music ( Neyo, Sexy Back) fantastic Video Games. Fantastic movies.
The only thing that killed it was when ps3 and wii came out and made the year feel different at the end. Still this year is hard to argue

1. 2005 - This year had everything. Myspace was super big at the time. Emo music was at its peak at this point. Fashion comes to mind is the nightmare before xmas hoodies from hot topic. Culture was very good. There is almost nothing bad to say about this year so it gets 1.

Written By: Lemonmelon on 01/04/13 at 5:12 pm

Ok here is my rankings , feel free 2 debate me if you feel I should be debated =)

13. 2007 - Easily one of the worst years of the 2000s. This lands  at the bottom of the list because of its emptyness factor. It had nothing new aside from 2006 leftovers. Iphone is the only thing that makes this year worth taking a closer look at. I agree pop culture had no motivation at this time and was just horrible. Spider man 3 was a flop as well as The Simpsons movie.  2007 is easily a flop for pop culture and lifestyle. 

12. 2012 -  A very reflective year I think for everyone in the world.  This was the year alot of truths came to the surface. This year had alot of tragic events. Pop culture got a lil better tho. I would say 2012 was the lets wait and see year.  But Once again this spot earns number 12 due to the tragic events at the end that taint this somewhat passable year.

11. 2003 - This year got rid of any teen pop that was left. At the start of the year 50 cent made hip hop the norm and  alot of ppl started copying eminems baggy pants at this point. Esp the term wigger becomes popular. This year also made the oc and cali lifestyle a trend that would last a few years.  Other than that there is nothing memorable about this year and has a dark vibe to it.

10. 2001-  Very good year for pop culture. Still had a 90s feel to it. 9 11 makes this year come in at 10    because it was one of the worse things to ever happen to us in recent memory. 9-11 overshadows how good this year was & is tainted.

9. 2009 - The only thing good about this year is Dance pop getting bigger and more accepted. The Summer of this year was pretty zzzzzzzzzzzz with nothing new. We had just gotten of the 2008 crash and 2009 was like shock. 2009  also has a lot of people become unemployed and also had alot of stores closed down.  The ending of this year saved this year from earning the last spot on the list.

8. 2010- A good year for pop culture. Music this year gets  very interesting. There really is nothing bad to say about this year.  Emo dies a tragic death thankfully at the start of this year earning it a  9 spot on the top list.

7. 2000 - this year was 1999 part 2. Nothing really bad happened this year. Teen pop peaked at this time &  Oops i did it again was a smash.  Not really much to say about this year. This year earns the 7 spot due to other years outclassing it.

6. 2002 -.  this year was fun.  Had some fun moments like skater boi coming out. 2002 had this anything goes vibe 2 it that is very memorable. Video Games were ok. Movies kinda sucked this year. This was the first post 9-11 year . This year was ok tho.

5. 2011 -  A very fast year with many changes like ows. Dance pop kinda peaked this year. This year was not the best ............ But it is passable. Also Osama was found this year creating a very special moment of ppl running in the streets.

4. 2008 - This year started with a classic 2000s vibe and eneded with the late 00s vibe. The start of this year felt like a normal 00s decade but halfway  music changed to electropop. The economy crashed leaving alot of ppl in shock. . Obama became the first African American President which was amazing. This was the year you saw alot of going green campaigns.  Because this is a very very crazy year with a classic feeling & modern feeling at the end  it gets the 5 spot.  It has so many moments theres no way you can not put this on 5.

3. 2004 - This year started off rocky.  The last 4 months of this year were amazing and kicked off the mypace /emo era. The last 4 months of this year are what really save it. 
Music was somewhat decent. Video Games were good as well. Mtv was somewhat decent this year and actually had Trl on tv.

2. 2006 - This year would have the number one spot, it had everything fantastic music ( Neyo, Sexy Back) fantastic Video Games. Fantastic movies.
The only thing that killed it was when ps3 and wii came out and made the year feel different at the end. Still this year is hard to argue

1. 2005 - This year had everything. Myspace was super big at the time. Emo music was at its peak at this point. Fashion comes to mind is the nightmare before xmas hoodies from hot topic. Culture was very good. There is almost nothing bad to say about this year so it gets 1.

I agree with you about 2007's emptiness.The Simpsons movie could've been more, but it wasn't bad but yes it was empty. I don't think it was a flop for lifestyle though even though much of 2007 was like 2006 hadn't ended yet in some ways. The "truths coming to the surface" is what makes me appreciate 2012 as much as I do. Take out the truths and it is much lower in my rankings. I think 2009 or 2011 were the "dark years" otherwise your 2003 assessment is fine. I share your thoughts on 2001 although I don't penalize it for 9/11 because it didn't really affect me until after 2001 had finished. Nice to see 2009 and 2010 in the bottom half and I agree with 2000 being like another 1999. I both agree and disagree with things in your top six but that's differing opinions for you so there's nothing wrong with what you say.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 01/04/13 at 5:28 pm

I agree with you about 2007's emptiness.The Simpsons movie could've been more, but it wasn't bad but yes it was empty. I don't think it was a flop for lifestyle though even though much of 2007 was like 2006 hadn't ended yet in some ways. The "truths coming to the surface" is what makes me appreciate 2012 as much as I do. Take out the truths and it is much lower in my rankings. I think 2009 or 2011 were the "dark years" otherwise your 2003 assessment is fine. I share your thoughts on 2001 although I don't penalize it for 9/11 because it didn't really affect me until after 2001 had finished. Nice to see 2009 and 2010 in the bottom half and I agree with 2000 being like another 1999. I both agree and disagree with things in your top six but that's differing opinions for you so there's nothing wrong with what you say.

what year were u born, could be why both our top six differ

Written By: 80sfan on 01/05/13 at 7:16 pm

Written By: thenewtattoo on 01/05/13 at 11:33 pm

2009 at number 1          =0!

Written By: ghikluios on 01/07/13 at 2:57 am

2000 to 2012 : years thut sucked

1998 was the last good year. 2000 and 2001 wurst years ever

Written By: whistledog on 01/07/13 at 10:47 pm

2000 - 2012 sure was pretty rank

Written By: warped on 01/08/13 at 7:02 am

2000 - 2012 = -12  I'd rank that as an excellent golf score.

Written By: Paul on 01/11/13 at 4:07 am

...as is this thread...

Check for new replies or respond here...