inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pop culture-wise is California more core-American than New York?

Written By: 1man on 01/10/13 at 1:10 am

What is the most United States-ish part of America when it comes to pop culture?

I think it has to be between California and New York.

Subject: Re: Pop culture-wise is California more core-American than New York?

Written By: belmont22 on 01/10/13 at 3:13 am

The Midwest and South.

I think the coasts are more international and lack some of the things I think of as super-American, like there are fewer guns, Christians, hillbillies etc on the west and east coasts though you can find some of them anywhere in the United States.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/10/13 at 3:29 am

What is the most United States-ish part of America when it comes to pop culture?

I think it has to be between California and New York.

There is no such thing as a 'most US-ish' part IMO. The country is just a great variety of different kind of subcultures.

However if you ask me, the real United States can only be seen in the countryside or in very small towns. Big cities are out of the question. New York and London for example have a very similar atmosphere due to their international orientation. On the other hand: Who defines, what the 'real' States are?

Written By: thenewtattoo on 01/10/13 at 6:34 pm

ny

Written By: whistledog on 01/10/13 at 9:49 pm

And the award for dumbest question of 2013 goes to this

Written By: Paul on 01/11/13 at 3:49 am

...and it's barely two weeks old!  :D

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/11/13 at 4:01 am

ny

wr o n g

Written By: danootaandme on 01/11/13 at 4:08 am

;D 

Written By: belmont22 on 01/11/13 at 6:23 am

ny

New York City is actually very unique compared to the rest of the United States. They are very patriotic, but they have a unique accent, unique culture, etc. I don't relate to them any more than I relate to Canadians or the British and I'm American, from the West Coast.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/11/13 at 6:27 am

New York City is actually very unique compared to the rest of the United States. They are very patriotic, but they have a unique accent, unique culture, etc. I don't relate to them any more than I relate to Canadians or the British and I'm American, from the West Coast.

That's why I have said that there is no such thing as a core-American region today.

Written By: belmont22 on 01/11/13 at 6:46 am

That's why I have said that there is no such thing as a core-American region today.

I agree, I'd say the West and Midwest have the most 'generic' American culture but the Midwest and South have what I consider the most distinctly American in the sense of being 'God and guns'.

Written By: warped on 01/11/13 at 7:35 am

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/11/13 at 7:51 am

There is no such thing as a 'most US-ish' part IMO. The country is just a great variety of different kind of subcultures.

However if you ask me, the real United States can only be seen in the countryside or in very small towns. Big cities are out of the question. New York and London for example have a very similar atmosphere due to their international orientation. On the other hand: Who defines, what the 'real' States are?

Funny you mention that, that's pretty much the same way I felt about Germany when I was there.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/11/13 at 3:52 pm

Unique accent, unique culture.  What?  There are many accents and many cultures, not just one.  The people of New York City aren't any more or any less patriotic than the rest of the country.  I don't get this at all.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/11/13 at 4:21 pm

Funny you mention that, that's pretty much the same way I felt about Germany when I was there.

True, it's definetly like that. Northern Germany is totally different from the South (Dialect, mentality, landscape). The variety is still bigger in the US IMO.

Written By: belmont22 on 01/11/13 at 7:42 pm

Unique accent, unique culture.  What?  There are many accents and many cultures, not just one.  The people of New York City aren't any more or any less patriotic than the rest of the country.  I don't get this at all.

There are some other cities in America that have a unique culture, such as New Orleans and Boston, but I don't see what makes say, Des Moines a totally different culture from Omaha or St. Paul. Or what makes Boise that much different from Reno or Rapid City. American cities with a culture that is regionally unique to the city and its surrounds are an exception, not the norm.

NYC seems very patriotic to me because of its status as a 'Gateway' city and of course it's also when 9/11 happened so people for that reason are going to be more patriotic because they are proud of the heroism and so on.

Written By: Howard on 01/11/13 at 7:56 pm

I agree.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/11/13 at 10:52 pm

The Midwest and South.

I think the coasts are more international and lack some of the things I think of as super-American, like there are fewer guns, Christians, hillbillies etc on the west and east coasts though you can find some of them anywhere in the United States.

People down here certainly think they're the most patriotic Americans (just ask them, they'll tell you). Yet, many of them are now ready to leave the union and form a different country. ;D

Written By: belmont22 on 01/11/13 at 10:58 pm

People down here certainly think they're the most patriotic Americans (just ask them, they'll tell you). Yet, many of them are now ready to leave the union and form a different country. ;D

Yeah I've always found it strange how the most patriotic parts of the US seem to be the most prone to secession.

I think being a patriotic American has more to do with how strongly you believe in the American way and dream than it means loyalty to the government. Personally I am not too big on either of those things.

Check for new replies or respond here...