inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Think anyone born before 1900 ever became a regular user of the world wide web?

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 01/25/13 at 2:23 pm

Someone born in 1899 for example would have been 91 or 92 when it was launched in 1991, and around 100 by the time it became a household necessity. Even today, most people that old have nothing to do with the internet, so I can only imagine back then its mainstream use was limited to people under 60 or so. But it would be interesting to know that someone born in a home that possibly didn't have electricity, indoor plumbing, or most modern inventions could have been using the fabulous internet by the time they died.

Subject: Re: Think anyone born before 1900 ever became a regular user of the world wide web?

Written By: warped on 01/25/13 at 2:36 pm

The closest I can come up with with a lady I knew.  She was 97 years old and using email & the internet (just to read the news ). That was in 2002, so she would have been born in 1905.  Close but not quite.

Subject: Re: Think anyone born before 1900 ever became a regular user of the world wide web?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/25/13 at 2:48 pm

I am pretty sure there were some 95-105-year-olds in the late 90s and early 2000s who used the internet. A lot of people are still quite healthy after they have turned 100.

From a theoretical standpoint, the earliest birthyear that could have possibly used the WWW must be somewhere in the early 1880s.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 01/25/13 at 2:48 pm

The closest I can come up with with a lady I knew.  She was 97 years old and using email & the internet (just to read the news ). That was in 2002, so she would have been born in 1905.  Close but not quite.

That's still pretty incredible!

Written By: warped on 01/25/13 at 7:26 pm

That's still pretty incredible!

I know! I have lost touch with her ever since she moved out west to Oregon.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/25/13 at 7:36 pm

;D  I totally read the title of the thread wrong.  I read it as "will" they ever become regular users of the world wide web.  I was thinking that probably not since they are mostly dead.  I think I am tired and need sleep. :D

Written By: Howard on 01/25/13 at 8:05 pm

;D  I totally read the title of the thread wrong.  I read it as "will" they ever become regular users of the world wide web.  I was thinking that probably not since they are mostly dead.  I think I am tired and need sleep. :D

or they can just browse the internet in heaven. :D

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 01/25/13 at 9:19 pm

I know! I have lost touch with her ever since she moved out west to Oregon.

Oh my, is she still with us? She would have to be a 107 or 108 now wouldn't she?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/25/13 at 11:09 pm

If it makes you feel any better, I did the same exact thing.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/25/13 at 11:16 pm

Virginia's new iPad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndkIP7ec3O8

You're never too old.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R43h8WICAP4

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/26/13 at 7:49 am

My late grandmother was 95 when Carlos & I were married. She couldn't come to the wedding because she was...well, 95. This was before Skype and my brother set up something where she could watch the wedding LIVE from my sister's computer (who also didn't come to the wedding). We sent her a corsage which she wore as she was watching. Even though she couldn't be there in person, she was still there-which was GREAT!!!

Cat

Written By: warped on 01/26/13 at 8:34 am

Oh my, is she still with us? She would have to be a 107 or 108 now wouldn't she?

107, yeah. I don't know if she is still with us. I know she gave up her computer in 2005 because it was too much of a hassle for her. I don't know if she got a new one when she moved to Eugene.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/26/13 at 2:17 pm

The oldest person I know myself that regularly uses the internet is my great Aunt who was born in the 40's. My grandparents (both sets) were born in the 30's, and I don't think that any of the four of them have even gone online once in their entire lives.

It's nice to read some of the stories here of older people who aren't afraid to "get with the times".

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 01/26/13 at 2:20 pm

The oldest person I know myself that regularly uses the internet is my great Aunt who was born in the 40's. My grandparents (both sets) were born in the 30's, and I don't think that any of the four of them have even gone online once in their entire lives.

It's nice to read some of the stories here of older people who aren't afraid to "get with the times".

My grandma, born in 1935, can't handle anything more advanced than a television built before the turn of the millennium. However, she knows how good her grandchildren are at using the internet, so she calls us up (or my mom) and asks "can you find something on your machine for me?" ;D

Written By: Brian06 on 01/26/13 at 2:27 pm

My grandparents (who are all dead now unfortunately) were born in the 1910s, they never used the web as far I knew.  My mom was born in '49 and she's regular user of the net now, she actually started using it when she first got a smartphone.  ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/26/13 at 2:38 pm

My grandma, born in 1935, can't handle anything more advanced than a television built before the turn of the millennium. However, she knows how good her grandchildren are at using the internet, so she calls us up (or my mom) and asks "can you find something on your machine for me?" ;D

That's pretty much my grandma too. Some of her old people friends actually have Facebook accounts of their own, and whenever she wants to send a message to them, she gets my mom to do it through her Facebook. ;D

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/26/13 at 2:55 pm

My grandparents (who are all dead now unfortunately) were born in the 1910s, they never used the web as far I knew.  My mom was born in '49 and she's regular user of the net now, she actually started using it when she first got a smartphone.  ;D

My grandparents (born in the early-mid 20s) don't use the internet at all. But my grandfather (born in 1924 but who has died last year) was pretty amazed by it when he visited us in early 2004. I had still dial-up and he actually spent some time with me, doing research on stuff from WWII.

My parents (born in 1949 and 1959 respectively) on the other hand are frequent users of the net. I started with it and they slowly learned to use it, too...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/26/13 at 4:18 pm

My dad used email before I did. He was quite computer savvy-better than I am. My mother has used email but she doesn't like it. But, she does uses a computer-but not the internet.

Cat

Written By: gibbo on 01/26/13 at 10:14 pm

My parents were born in 1926 and 1928 respectively and both use the internet.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/26/13 at 10:34 pm

My grandfather (b. 1905) used to play Go on the Internet!
8)

Written By: karen on 01/27/13 at 10:06 am

I think I'm worse than you.  I thought the date was 1990!

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/27/13 at 11:37 am

Yeah same to - When I first read it, I kinda mixed-up Mark's nickname and the title, and thought: WTH?  :o 8)

Written By: Dagwood on 01/27/13 at 2:19 pm

Glad to know I am not the only one. ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/27/13 at 8:22 pm

There was no Internet in the 1890's.  ::)

Written By: warped on 01/27/13 at 8:31 pm

There was no Internet in the 1890's.  ::)

True, but that wasn't the point of the topic.  He's saying did anyone born before 1900 ever became a regular user of the world wide web?  (meaning when the intenet came into existence, would someone who was ..I dunno...90 something have used it when it came out.)
makes sense now?

Written By: Howard on 01/27/13 at 8:54 pm

True, but that wasn't the point of the topic.  He's saying did anyone born before 1900 ever became a regular user of the world wide web?  (meaning when the intenet came into existence, would someone who was ..I dunno...90 something have used it when it came out.)
makes sense now?

Yes, I was just joking.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/28/13 at 1:45 am

Yes, I was just joking.

That's sometimes hard to figure out with your posting style ;)
No offense!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/28/13 at 6:34 am

That's sometimes hard to figure out with your posting style ;)
No offense!  ;D

I joke with them all the time, I've been here 12 years.  ;)

Written By: d90 on 05/22/16 at 11:19 pm

My Nana born in 1938 goes on Facebook.

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 05/25/16 at 1:20 pm

Yes.  Audrey Stubbart.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audrey_Stubbart

"Audrey Stubbart (June 9, 1895–November 13, 2000) was an American centenarian who worked as a proofreader and newspaper columnist for The Independence Examiner until the age of 105. Prior to her death she was the oldest verified newspaper columnist, the oldest known full-time employee, and possibly the oldest user of the Internet."

One person who came pretty close was Grace Hopper (1906-1992):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Hopper

I have about a dozen aunts, uncles and grandparents  who were born in the 19th century or the first decade of the 20th century.  As far as I know none of them were "regular users" of the internet.  Most of them died before the internet was a big thing, or even before it was a thing.  My paternal grandfather (born in the early 1850s) probably died even before ENIAC.

Written By: Arrowstone on 06/04/16 at 10:25 am

My grandparents, born in 1940, make regular use of internet; but my granddad, he became used to computers in the 80s at work, so it's not that weird.

I believe though that I had seen an instagram-picture posted by the oldest woman currently alive, (the last one before 1900), though I don't know if she actually uses the internet.

Written By: 2001 on 06/04/16 at 3:21 pm

It's interesting to hear of people's grandparents using the Internet. I wonder if my grandparents, born 1919, 1923 and 1935 (unsure of my paternal grandfather's birth year), had they lived any longer, might've come to used the Internet.

I don't think my 1919/1923 maternal grandparents even touched a modern computer to be honest. They passed away in the early 2000s. My grandma born 1935 used the Internet for MSN and Skype, but only with assistance, never on her own. She passed away in early 2014, so only just as the iPad age was getting started.

Written By: Catherine91UK on 06/05/16 at 1:27 pm

My grandad is 85 and has only had a computer and been using the internet for 1-2 years.

Back in 2000, my grandma borrowed our computer to type a letter and was frightened when the cursor started moving as she moved the mouse!

Check for new replies or respond here...