inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ghostface asks "What's your favorite scary movie?"

Written By: 80sfan on 01/26/13 at 10:02 pm

No, seriously, when your friend or someone talking to you asks you 'What's your favorite scary movie?'

What's your answer?

Mine, at this second is A Nightmare on Elm Street. It changes from hour to hour, for I'd be bored just liking one thing.

You?

http://finalgirls.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/a-nightmare-on-elm-street-1984.jpg

Subject: Re: Ghostface asks "What's your favorite scary movie?"

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/26/13 at 10:43 pm

Talking major motion pictures here?  I still say "The Shining."  It gets scarier every time I watch it!

Written By: 80sfan on 01/26/13 at 10:50 pm

Talking major motion pictures here?  I still say "The Shining."  It gets scarier every time I watch it!

I like the film also, but I heard Stephen King didn't care for it much. I think he felt the director was making it 'too Hollywood'. The hotel was supposed to burn up at the end of the movie, as in the book (I haven't read the book so I'm going off of word of mouth), but in the movie, at the end, the hotel isn't burned down!

Written By: snozberries on 01/28/13 at 9:48 pm

First 15 minutes (or so) of When A Stranger Calls.... . the rest of the movie sucks!

PART ONE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdS2vXxPmiU

PART TWO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLs0Zq6Flk8

PART THREE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nRkZBR7gLU

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/29/13 at 12:30 am

I like the film also, but I heard Stephen King didn't care for it much. I think he felt the director was making it 'too Hollywood'. The hotel was supposed to burn up at the end of the movie, as in the book (I haven't read the book so I'm going off of word of mouth), but in the movie, at the end, the hotel isn't burned down!

Oh, yeah, they could have made The Shining a lot scarier.  The problem is American audiences are squeamish about that stuff in their movies.  Sling Blade was really going after those Mexicans and Blacks off their fairy cousins got their asses kicked.

Written By: Howard on 01/29/13 at 7:19 am

Halloween 3

Written By: whistledog on 01/30/13 at 7:30 pm

The original 'Fright Night'

For more modern day movies, I'd go with 'Frailty'.  That movie should have been nominated for multiple Oscars, it was so good.

Written By: Howard on 01/30/13 at 7:41 pm

The original 'Fright Night'

I liked that film too.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/01/13 at 10:58 am

I also like Texas Chainsaw Massacre both the 1974 and 2003 version!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/01/13 at 6:43 pm

The Blair Witch Project

Written By: 80sfan on 02/27/13 at 12:02 pm

I like Sleep away Camp from 1983. The film has a disturbing aura about it, and it's 80s times a million! 8)

Written By: warped on 02/27/13 at 2:35 pm

Night of the living dead

Written By: 80sfan on 02/27/13 at 4:11 pm

Night of the living dead

I like that one too! It was the first horror movie I ever saw. I was about 6.

Written By: Howard on 02/27/13 at 7:35 pm

Scream
Scream 2
Halloween H20

Written By: warped on 02/27/13 at 7:38 pm

Scream
Scream 2
Halloween H20

I liked Scream & Scream 2, great films. I thought they were more of a comedy film than a scary type. :-[

Written By: Tashlovglit on 03/05/13 at 4:08 pm

Horror is my favorite film genre  :) Zombie films are at the top of my list.  I really enjoyed Scream also.  I can't say I have one favorite.

Written By: meesa on 03/06/13 at 9:22 am

Psycho
The original Halloween
Blair Witch Project
Alien
The Scream Trilogy
Ju-on: The Grudge (I like the American remake too)
Night of the Living Dead 

The Shining -scared the crap out of me when I first saw it. I have read the book, and I know that a film (maybe two?) has since been remade to be more like the book, but I haven't seen the remake. I cannot imagine anyone but Jack Nicholson and Shelley Duvall in those roles.

Stephen resents this version because he feels that A) Kubrick took away most of the ghostly elements of the story, and B) made the audience unable to see the Jack Torrance character the way Stephen wrote him originally, so he feels that stripped the heart out of it. Instead Kubrick emphasized the alcoholism and tried to intellectualize it too much-instead of showing that Jack Torrance was being seduced and made insane by the hotel and it's evil force. Personally I like Kubrick's version, and the book version, but they are very different.

Another good one that if you haven't seen it, and ever get a chance to, is the original Nosferatu from the twenties. Excellent!

Check for new replies or respond here...