inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Oldest object you own?

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 01/28/13 at 2:56 pm

I can think of a few items in my house that are over 100 years old now

-My family has a carte de visite photograph of some ancestors from 1869. A handful of other photos from the late 1800s and early 1900s as well.
-A trunk that my great grandmother brought with her when she came to the US from Ireland in 1911ish. The key is long gone and it doesn't smell so good anymore :p
-A locket that belonged to one of my other great grandmothers that would be over 100 years old now.

Subject: Re: Oldest object you own?

Written By: nally on 01/28/13 at 3:41 pm

Do coins count? Because I own a few antique silver dollars...from circa 1900.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/28/13 at 3:43 pm

When I was a kid and teen I was highly into old stuff. The very oldest is probably a Swedish newspaper from the 1840s which I bought during a vacation when I was 10.

I also have a collection of old 78 rpm records, mostly from the 1930s and 40s, but also one from 1902 and some from the 1910s and 20s.

Written By: warped on 01/28/13 at 5:38 pm

Good topic. 
I have an Italian coin from the early 1800s, Napoleon's time. I have some Canadian stamps from the early 1900s, same goes for German stamps & lots of German Third Reich stamps (Hitler's time, from the 1930s and 40s)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/28/13 at 6:31 pm

My husband I think I have an ancient coin-pre-Christian. Not too sure where it is from. I have a Russian coin from Catherine the Great's reign. I think it is 1764? Something like that. I can't remember the year. I also have a Colonial Vermont coin from 1788.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 01/28/13 at 6:39 pm

I have some report cards of my great grandmother from 1890 or so.  I also have a small 10K gold ring with a small diamond that was my grandfathers when he was born in 1912.  It is newborn size, so tiny.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/28/13 at 6:45 pm

We've got a collection of Buffalo Head pennies from the late 1890's, with the 1896 penny being the oldest. I don't think we own anything else from before the 20th Century.

Written By: amjikloviet on 01/28/13 at 6:58 pm

Right now, one of the oldest objects I own is a Cameo Creation portrait from the 1940s. It is a portrait of "Elizabeth-Duchess of Devonshire" by Sir Joshua Reynolds.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 01/28/13 at 7:36 pm

Coins certainly count! I forgot I have a few Morgan silver dollars as well. I think the dates on them are 1881, 1888, and 1896.

I think I have an ancient coin-pre-Christian. Not too sure where it is from. I have a Russian coin from Catherine the Great's reign. I think it is 1764? Something like that. I can't remember the year. I also have a Colonial Vermont coin from 1788.

That's incredible! Isn't it fascinating to imagine the people who once possessed the coins? How did you come to own them?

Written By: Howard on 01/28/13 at 7:40 pm

My father used to collect coins.

Written By: whistledog on 01/28/13 at 9:10 pm

I have a Canadian penny from 1938.  I have an American penny from 1918.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/29/13 at 12:36 am

Well, my daddy made 86 years old on the 27th of Janurary.  ;D

But seriously.

I think the oldest thing I own is...
The Holy Bible my mother recieved when she graduated high school in May of 1969. Yeah.

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/29/13 at 7:17 am

Since I have a diversified collection of antiques/collectibles, this is the oldest object by type.

Coin: 1810 US Half Cent
Magazine: December 1876 St. Nicholas Children's Magazine
Electronics: c. 1960 Wurlitzer 5200 Wallbox (used for jukeboxes)
Record: A Victor 78 RPM record from 1909 (can't remember the title)
Photograph: C. 1950 Movie press photograph
Baseball/Sports Card: 1958 Topps (Don't know the name as it was an obscure player)
Toy: C. 1955 Cash register
Map: 1939 Florida state map

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/29/13 at 8:14 am

Coins certainly count! I forgot I have a few Morgan silver dollars as well. I think the dates on them are 1881, 1888, and 1896.

That's incredible! Isn't it fascinating to imagine the people who once possessed the coins? How did you come to own them?

I collect coins-and acquire them usually from auctions.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=18931.0

I have several complete sets including a complete set of Morgan dollars, Peace dollars, Indian Head Pennies, Walking Liberty halves, Buffalo nickles, Mercury dimes and a few others. I also have a lot of foreign coins, too. I have so many I'm not even too sure what exactly I have.  :-\\  I also have some paper money from around the world, too. I tell everyone that I collect money.  ;D ;D ;D I'm thinking of downsizing the collection and sell a bunch of it.

Cat

Written By: Mat1991 on 01/29/13 at 3:53 pm

We have a little grammar school reader that was published in the 1930s. One of the stories involves a little boy and girl going out into the field to help the "negroes" pick cotton.  ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/29/13 at 10:19 pm

To tell you the truth, I don't know.  I don't even remember where all my stuff is.  Well, whatever it is will be that much older when I find it, or when my survivors find it!
:-\\

Written By: loki 13 on 01/30/13 at 10:08 pm

Of all the things mentioned no one has mentioned rocks. I still have my rock collection from when I was a mere
lad, I doubt I have anything older. Like others, I have coins from the mid to late 1800's and a few stamps from
the early 1900's. I also have a book called "Health, Wealth and Happiness: How To Attain And Retain Each To
The End Of Life." by Edward S. Ellis published in 1892.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/31/13 at 7:56 am

Of all the things mentioned no one has mentioned rocks. I still have my rock collection from when I was a mere
lad, I doubt I have anything older. Like others, I have coins from the mid to late 1800's and a few stamps from
the early 1900's. I also have a book called "Health, Wealth and Happiness: How To Attain And Retain Each To
The End Of Life." by Edward S. Ellis published in 1892.

I thought about mentioning rocks. I have a lot of healing crystals which are thousands of years old.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 01/31/13 at 3:50 pm

I thought about mentioning rocks. I have a lot of healing crystals which are thousands of years old.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

What about diamonds? They are estimated to be 3.3 billion years old. I don't own diamonds anymore. I used to have a few diamond
stud earrings but since I am out of that phase they all went to my wife. You would think I would own a few, after all it is my birthstone.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/31/13 at 4:32 pm

Sigs great grandad died in an accident in 1915.  They kept the coins in his pocket, one is an 1819 penny, don't know why he had an hundred year old coin in his pocket.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/31/13 at 6:33 pm

Sigs great grandad died in an accident in 1915.  They kept the coins in his pocket, one is an 1819 penny, don't know why he had an hundred year old coin in his pocket.

To buy an ice cream soda?  Sorry.  Too soon?
:-X

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/31/13 at 7:20 pm

What about diamonds? They are estimated to be 3.3 billion years old. I don't own diamonds anymore. I used to have a few diamond
stud earrings but since I am out of that phase they all went to my wife. You would think I would own a few, after all it is my birthstone.

It's my birthstone, too. I have a ring that my first husband gave me that had diamond chips in it, and I have my mother's diamond earrings. I love diamonds but Carlos doesn't do diamonds-he doesn't do jewelry actually. Before we were married-he used to ask me what I wanted for Christmas/my birthday. One time I was brave enough to tell him what I REALLY wanted-a ring. He got me a nice set-ring/necklace/earrings-but they were sapphires. Very pretty-but the ring was WAY too big for my finger and I never had it sized. He informed me that the ring was NOT an engagement ring-to my disappointment. Then he FINALLY popped the question. I asked him about an engagement ring. He said, "I gave you a ring." I reminded him that he specified that it was NOT an engagement ring. He then said, "It is now."  ::)  No, my husband does not do jewelry-but he does do flowers. He does get me flowers.  :)  BTW, I wore the earring in the set at our wedding as my "something blue."

My engagement ring from my first marriage was stolen by my ex-mother-in-law-but that is another story.

Cat

Written By: NullandVoid on 01/31/13 at 7:43 pm

I'm always happy to see Cat in a thread :-)^^

The oldest thing that I own is a wooden folding ruler made by Stanley. It was produced in the early 1900's

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/01/13 at 8:38 am

I'm always happy to see Cat in a thread :-)^^

The oldest thing that I own is a wooden folding ruler made by Stanley. It was produced in the early 1900's

LONG TIME, NO SEE, My Friend. WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN??!!!! I hope you will stick around this time.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/01/13 at 9:56 pm

I remember I bought an old volume of Balzac at a flea market and there was a hotel receipt in it from France in November 1918.  The poor SOB probably survived the war only to die of Spanish flu!

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/01/13 at 10:01 pm

At this exact moment of time, my memory.

Written By: Howard on 02/02/13 at 6:48 am

At this exact moment of time, my memory.

your memory is as old enough when you were born.

Written By: valleyroads on 02/02/13 at 6:58 am

I have some 1920s bottles packed away, but THE oldest, not counting my fossils, are some Native American arrowheads.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 02/02/13 at 3:42 pm

I have some 1920s bottles packed away, but THE oldest, not counting my fossils, are some Native American arrowheads.

Gosh, I forgot I had an arrowhead too! My grandpa found it, I believe in the woods, and gave it to my brother and I. I have no idea how old it is, but I can only imagine it must pre-date European-American settlement in my area, so it is likely from the early 1800s or earlier. It's special because my grandpa found it in its natural location where it was last touched/used, rather than it having been one of those polished-up ones you buy at a gift shop.

Written By: NullandVoid on 02/02/13 at 9:40 pm

LONG TIME, NO SEE, My Friend. WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN??!!!! I hope you will stick around this time.

Cat

I've been living life and all sorts of nutty stuff ;D We must talk! I'm gonna stick around I promise, I just have to get "a feel" back for this board".

Written By: danootaandme on 02/03/13 at 6:48 pm

Cat

I've been living life and all sorts of nutty stuff ;D We must talk! I'm gonna stick around I promise, I just have to get "a feel" back for this board".

YAY!!!!

Written By: karen on 02/05/13 at 11:40 am

A lovely person gave me a copy of Richard Carvel written by Winston Churchill.  It was printed in 1899

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/08/13 at 8:32 pm

I own some old books, some from the early 1800s, but being away from my library...

Written By: d90 on 05/23/16 at 11:19 am

My oldest object is a national geographic from 1920

Written By: apollonia1986 on 05/23/16 at 1:11 pm

Oldest object? Possibly my father's old hi-fi from the 60s, in my living room.

Written By: Howard on 05/23/16 at 2:56 pm

Oldest object? Possibly my father's old hi-fi from the 60s, in my living room.

Does it still work?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/23/16 at 3:49 pm

My parents' records from the 70s and 80s are possibly the oldest things they owned.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 05/23/16 at 3:58 pm

Does it still work?

Yeah, I played a Prince vinyl on it a while back.  :)

Written By: mqg96 on 05/23/16 at 4:20 pm

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-IKmela8SvUsitB9zHYgGbHiJTR9_85k5CEJ0KR9uROG9Wk8W93SQ_ukMGw&usqp=CAE

I remember having this toy as long as I can remember since I was a baby. I still have it in my room today.

Written By: Howard on 05/24/16 at 2:57 pm

My parents' records from the 70s and 80s are possibly the oldest things they owned.

My Father has his old vinyls somewhere down in the basement.

Written By: Howard on 05/24/16 at 2:59 pm

oldest object I own as far as I'm concerned are Penny Power magazines from 1982-1983
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51dMbamdfYL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/12/16 at 1:39 am

The oldest object I own is probably an original Oswald The Lucky Rabbit comic book from 1953. Apart from that, I also own a few Matchbox cars which were produced in the Mid/Late 50's.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/12/16 at 2:55 am

I probably lost it.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 08/12/16 at 9:19 am

I probably lost it.  ;D

Where did you lose it?

Written By: nally on 08/16/16 at 11:30 pm

Now that my grandparents are all deceased, we now have some old items that they had... including some early pictures of theirs.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/17/16 at 2:44 pm

Well..the oldest objects that I own are my vinyl records. My 45s 7 inch and longplay 33 inch records. But they are songs from the 1980s and 1990s mostly. Also, some clothing items from when I was growing up.  :) I use to be into collecting old things but I stopped a long time ago. Idk why. ::)

Written By: Howard on 08/17/16 at 2:52 pm

Well..the oldest objects that I own are my vinyl records. My 45s 7 inch and longplay 33 inch records. But they are songs from the 1980s and 1990s mostly. Also, some clothing items from when I was growing up.  :) I use to be into collecting old things but I stopped a long time ago. Idk why. ::)

Do the records still play?

Written By: violet_shy on 08/17/16 at 3:12 pm

Do the records still play?

Yes they do, most of them are in good condition. There are two that are defective though, oh well.

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/17/16 at 3:48 pm

I own comic books from as old as 1941.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/17/16 at 4:45 pm

Did it came from your grandparents or something?

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/18/16 at 6:38 am

I'm surprised you said those two decades because I find vinyl from the 1990s to actually be rather scarce as even in 1990, many albums/singles were cassette or CD only. If you have anything from the grunge or big alternative bands, you may have yourself some money with that collection.

That said, it is surprising how readily available coins from the age of the Roman Empire are available on the market, and aren't that expensive. I don't consider anything that wasn't man-made, such as rocks to count, despite numerous people claiming them.

Written By: Howard on 08/18/16 at 7:55 am

Are they in good condition?

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/18/16 at 11:46 am

Did it came from your grandparents or something?

Yeah, GREAT grandparents who grew up in the days where comic books were in their golden age (late 1930s - mid 1950s). They also would have comics of from DC or Marvel (and a few other obscure comic book publishers) along with comic books from animation companies like Disney, Warner Bros etc. On my 10th birthday in 2000 I was given them as a present. Was pretty cool.

Are they in good condition?

Some more than others. Some have pages that're torn while others are in decent condition. 

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/18/16 at 11:52 am

Yeah, GREAT grandparents who grew up in the days where comic books were in their golden age (late 1930s - mid 1950s). They also would have comics of from DC or Marvel (and a few other obscure comic book publishers) along with comic books from animation companies like Disney, Warner Bros etc. On my 10th birthday in 2000 I was given them as a present. Was pretty cool.

That seems really vintage. My grandparents grew up in the 1940s, but I'm not sure about them reading comic books or not. Although, my grandparents are really into reading regular books. Even when they were kids.

Written By: Howard on 08/18/16 at 1:38 pm

Garbage Pail Kids trading cards from 30 years ago.

Check for new replies or respond here...