inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why didn't I have my camera with me?

Written By: warped on 03/07/13 at 12:21 pm

Did you ever get a chance to meet a famous person or infamous person, or witness a cool event, or see something very interesting, and then realised you didn't have a camera with you to remember the event in a more special way?

I know these days cell phones can take pictures and most people carry their phones with them everywhere they go, so you might remember a situation before that time where you wished you've taken your camera with you.

I use to attend some sports card shows and often forgot to take my camera with me. I could have had a photo taken of me with Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Phil Esposito and Gordie Howe.

Once I chatted for 5 or 10 minutes with a Canadian Prime Minister but didn’t have my camera with me. Dang! 

Have you met someone or witnessed an event when you wished you have a camera with you? Please do share.

Subject: Re: Why didn't I have my camera with me?

Written By: snozberries on 03/07/13 at 12:38 pm

I went to an Alicia Keys concert (her first album had just come out) and I didn't think we could have cameras but it was an outdoor venue during the mid state fair. I had great seats. 

WHY DIDN'T I HAVE MY CAMERA WITH ME!!!!

Written By: snozberries on 03/07/13 at 12:42 pm

I went to a paleyfest for Jidging Amy. On the way my expensive camera was sitting on the passenger seat. I had to slam on the brakes and my camera slammed to the floor. It no longer took identifiable pics. 

I used it to try and take a pic with Tyne Daly.... It was all  jacked up.  :-\\

WHY DIDN'T I HAVE MY BACKUP CAMERA WITH ME!!!!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/07/13 at 12:43 pm

That, or have you ever had your (old film) camera with you and you had the most awesome picture set up only to realize that you had run out of film?

I have two good examples of this:

1.) My brother and a couple friends and I were attending a hockey game in Fargo, North Dakota in 1996. Their team at the time was called the Ice Sharks and my friends and I posed with their mascot, who had this giant shark head and one of my friends who was kneeling down beside him whips out this pair of Vise-Grips and holds them up right in front of the mascot's groin, unbeknownst to the mascot since his peripheral vision was obscured by his shark head. My brother is all set to take the pic when he was like, "Oops, out of film."

2.) About 10 years ago, when I was still living back in Lincoln, there was a good sized group of us (maybe 15-20 people) who would regularly get together for games of Texas Hold 'Em and we'd take turns hosting the games. We were at this one couple's house and in their rec room there was this poster-sized blown-up photo of the husband standing next to George Foreman, and George had this totally badass, mean-looking scowl on his face. When I asked him where the photo was taken he told me that he was in Vegas for some event (I forget what). He then went on to tell me that right after that picture was taken he ran into O.J. Simpson (this was a few years before the murders) and was all set to have his picture taken with O.J. but his camera was out of film.  :P

Written By: whistledog on 03/07/13 at 1:02 pm

I once accidentally spilled hot coffee all over Canadian Speaker of the House Peter Milliken.  It wasn't so much a case why didn't I have a camera, but why didn't someone have a video camera?  I could have sent the tape into America's Funniest Home Videos and had the chance to win $10,000 :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/07/13 at 4:46 pm

I ALWAYS keep my camera in my purse. The problem I have is that when I see a shot while in the car, it is not convenient to stop to get the shot. Or when I am trying to focus and then the shot is gone. The other day, I saw a bird and I took out my camera and just as soon as I turned it on, the bird flew away. I can't tell you how many shots I have missed.  >:( >:( >:( >:(

Today, coming back from the Botanical Gardens, I was in the backseat, Carlos in the front & SIL was driving. I gave the camera to Carlos to look at the pics that were taken. I was so tired that I put my head back and started to drift off to sleep. Then I felt this BANG as if something was thrown. It woke me up. I couldn't figure out what it was. Little did I know that Carlos was handing the camera back to me and he thought that I took it and let go. So, he was basically throwing my camera around. Luckily, it didn't break otherwise I would have been PISSED!!!! But since it didn't break, it was kind of funny.

Cat

Written By: nally on 03/07/13 at 7:08 pm

Oh yes, I have been to plenty of notable events when I didn't have a camera with me... most notably between early 2001 and late 2007. This is because I did not have a working camera during those years. I went to lots of events, including some social gatherings (with friends) and I did not take any pictures because I couldn't. Thankfully I received a digital camera for Christmas in 2007.

Written By: snozberries on 03/08/13 at 10:13 am

The very first Gilmore Girls Paleyfest. I didn't have a camera yet so I have no pics with the cast.

Written By: warped on 03/08/13 at 12:28 pm

In our final year of high school, the graduating class took a bus trip to Quebec City in February (at the time of the Quebec winter carneval) 
Back then (for whatever reason, it was 1980) all of us were drinking beer on the bus, the smokers were smoking and many smoked some..."wacky tobacky" in the back of the bus.  :D

Someone did bring a camera with them and took "lots" of pictures of my classmates smoking up, toking, rolling joints, etc.. literally almost 100 pictures. One of the guys who smoked up did eventually became an MP in parliament, in Canada, for years. (I think the equivalent in the US would be a member of congress, but the more politically minded people would know better than I) 

Those pictures were eventually lost (I had a few) or torn up. I wish I had my camera, coz I basically kept every picture I took at the time.

If I were twisted I could have caused a minor disturbance to his political career by posting them somewhere  ;D 

(Not that I think he did anything wrong myself, but some people might)   

Written By: snozberries on 03/08/13 at 12:58 pm

^ you totally reminded me.

When I went to San Diego for a working weekend I got a little drunk one night- well all nights  :D - but this particular night I was quite....um....happy.  My friend was driving and I was leaning out the window- I screamed for her to stop...  Apparently I saw this homeless dude and was convinced he was an angel.

Most of you know my religious beliefs (or lack there of) but on this day I totally saw this man and knew he was an angel. I made my friend stop the car & we got OT and all 4 of us took a pic with him -  this was the days before digital cameras.

After the trip I got the pics printed in triplicate the pic with the angel was interesting bc I remember him clearly. White guy in his 50s long hair in a pony tail and a a ponytail beard. In the pic his face was a white light. It was eerie. Sadly I gave my three friends the pics and I kept the negatives intending to reorder a set of prints for myself.

I never did.

I have since lost the negatives. I lost contact with two of my friends and my third friend can't find her copy if the pic.  :-\\

Written By: meesa on 03/08/13 at 1:14 pm

^ you totally reminded me.

When I went to San Diego for a working weekend I got a little drunk one night- well all nights  :D - but this particular night I was quite....um....happy.  My friend was driving and I was leaning out the window- I screamed for her to stop...  Apparently I saw this homeless dude and was convinced he was an angel.

Most of you know my religious beliefs (or lack there of) but on this day I totally saw this man and knew he was an angel. I made my friend stop the car & we got OT and all 4 of us took a pic with him -  this was the days before digital cameras.

After the trip I got the pics printed in triplicate the pic with the angel was interesting bc I remember him clearly. White guy in his 50s long hair in a pony tail and a a ponytail beard. In the pic his face was a white light. It was eerie. Sadly I gave my three friends the pics and I kept the negatives intending to reorder a set of prints for myself.

I never did.

I have since lost the negatives. I lost contact with two of my friends and my third friend can't find her copy if the pic.  :-\\

It would be so cool to see that pic!

There are many times in my life when I wish I would have had not just a camera but a video recorder with me.  ;D Once, when out driving, I saw something I can't explain. A largish streak of greenish-bluish light came from the sky  and disappeared into a field nearby. We did not see it land-the windows were up and the radio was on, so I can't say if it made any sound; it was just a streak of light. We were both sober, it wasn't a firework, the sky was clear-don't know what it was but wish I could have gotten a pic or video.

Written By: Paul on 03/08/13 at 1:56 pm

Once I chatted for 5 or 10 minutes with a Canadian Prime Minister but didn’t have my camera with me. Dang! 

If I had the opportunity to do that with any of our PMs, I'd probably clout them hard with the camera...

...or shove it where the sun don't shine!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/08/13 at 3:21 pm

Today, we were at the beach. Carlos & I were in the water & SIL was sitting at a picnic table that was a distance away-but we could see each other. As we were swimming, there was a beautiful heron just wading in the water. I get out of the water and wave at SIL (who is taken pics). I pointed to the bird. She finally realized what I meant and went over to take pics of the bird.

The thing was, when we got out and went over to the table, I realize that she was using my camera since she didn't bring hers and she was taking shots at a bird that was RIGHT THERE and I was telling her to go around to take a pic of a bird that was out a bit.  :D :D ;D ;D ;D  The bird she was shooting was still there but the one that I pointed it flew away by that time.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 03/08/13 at 5:03 pm

There are many times in my life when I wish I would have had not just a camera but a video recorder with me.  ;D Once, when out driving, I saw something I can't explain. A largish streak of greenish-bluish light came from the sky  and disappeared into a field nearby. We did not see it land-the windows were up and the radio was on, so I can't say if it made any sound; it was just a streak of light. We were both sober, it wasn't a firework, the sky was clear-don't know what it was but wish I could have gotten a pic or video.

I'm pretty sure a 3yr old boy crawled out of that crater with abilities far beyond that of mere mortals.  Imagine stumbling upon your own superman!

Written By: warped on 03/08/13 at 6:19 pm

...  Apparently I saw this homeless dude and was convinced he was an angel.    I made my friend stop the car & we got OT and all 4 of us took a pic with him -  this was the days before digital cameras.

I keep laughing at that.  ;D 
You could have so hung around with us in the 80s when we did stuff like that too.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/08/13 at 6:34 pm

One time I was driving down the interstate. I looked up and there was a cloud in the sky-but not just any cloud-I swear this cloud looked exactly like an elephant. It wasn't one of those "If you squint your eyes" type thing-it WAS an elephant. I did wish that I had a camera with me-but I was driving and there was no one else in the car. There were no other witnesses (besides people in the other cars-whom I didn't know) to confirm what I saw. Of course about 5 minutes later it was gone as the cloud changed shape.

Cat

Written By: nally on 03/08/13 at 7:54 pm

There are many times in my life when I wish I would have had not just a camera but a video recorder with me.  ;D Once, when out driving, I saw something I can't explain. A largish streak of greenish-bluish light came from the sky and disappeared into a field nearby. We did not see it land-the windows were up and the radio was on, so I can't say if it made any sound; it was just a streak of light. We were both sober, it wasn't a firework, the sky was clear-don't know what it was but wish I could have gotten a pic or video.

Many times in my life, I too wish I had a video camera (even one of those compact ones, or one on my cellphone). There have been countless moments of certain things I wish I could have captured. My current cellphone does have a camera; not sure if it has video capability (I will have to check on that).

Written By: meesa on 03/11/13 at 10:38 am

I'm pretty sure a 3yr old boy crawled out of that crater with abilities far beyond that of mere mortals.  Imagine stumbling upon your own superman!

LOL yes that must be it, Kal-el had arrived!
I am sure that there is a natural explanation for it, just don't know what it is!

Written By: warped on 03/14/13 at 1:16 pm

I was in downtown Toronto once when someone was doing a stunt and jumping off the CN tower. Saw it, but didn't have my camera with me.  :-\\

Check for new replies or respond here...