inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: At what age do people become interested in music?

Written By: waffleboy_92 on 04/08/13 at 5:27 pm

I want to know because I became interested in music in 2005 when I was 13, but I feel like that was too late. Before that I just cared about cartoons and kid's entertainment. I don't mean just knowing a few of the most popular songs, I mean really becoming interested in different artists and bands. Is it true that people who will grow up with today's music are 90's babies, or early 00's babies? Because I was born in 1992 and I don't like today's music. Should I have been listening to music in the early 00's? I feel bad that I wasn't. Because every time I go to music videos from the late 90's/early 00's on YouTube people say they knew that song when they were young kids. So my question is is it okay to start listening to music when you become a teenager, or do most people start when they're kids? Because I feel like I missed out on a good time in music. Can somebody help me with this?

Subject: Re: At what age do people become interested in music?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/08/13 at 5:45 pm

My grandson (who just turned 3 today), has been singing and trying to play instruments since he could walk/talk. I'm sure he knows who sings many songs.

Cat

Written By: wildcard on 04/08/13 at 6:25 pm

who knows how young I was when I started singing.  I was born in 1982.

Written By: warped on 04/08/13 at 8:40 pm

I became interested in listening to music on the radio when I was about 5.      I have a vague recollection of hits being on the radio, hits from 1967 and 1968. The radio I had until 1975 looked quite a bit like this one, handed down from my parents. 

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/vintage-50-s-red-Philco-tube-radio-with-catalin-like-look-Eames-era-/00/s/MTIyOFgxNTEz/z/GnsAAOxyaTxRPn1t/$T2eC16FHJHoE9n3Kd48YBRPn1tSR1g~~60_35.JPG

I listened to music on the radio all the time from then until circa 1986 or 1987 when I found music went downhill. I liked the music that was played when I was a kid.

Written By: whistledog on 04/08/13 at 8:58 pm

When I was a kid, I just listened to whatever was on the radio.  I was never into proactively listening to music on my own until I was in my teens.

Written By: Inertia on 04/08/13 at 9:24 pm

I used to sing all the way to and from school on the preschool bus so I've always been interested in music to a degree.

If you mean being an active listener and developing your own unique taste in music I would say the latter happened much later for me although I would not be able to pinpoint an exact age.

I actually used to tell people I "hated music" in middle school as it seemed easier than explaining my selective tastes.

Written By: Katluver on 04/08/13 at 9:30 pm

I think it varies---some people like listening to music before they're in grade school while others might not be interested until they're well into highschool.

Personally, I enjoyed listening to the music that was played in the background ever since I was a small child. By the time I was 10, I had my own portable radio and got my first Top 40 cassette that Christmas. I also began to watch music videos. By the time I was 12, I would start doing my homework to the radio station that played the top hits.

Written By: Howard on 04/09/13 at 6:52 am

I think it probably starts in the early teens.

Written By: warped on 04/09/13 at 7:25 am

By the time I was 12, I would start doing my homework to the radio station that played the top hits.

I did the same, listened to music while doing homework, I did that all the way through University too. As a side track, I even watched TV while doing homework. My parents never understood any of that.

Written By: ninny on 04/09/13 at 7:30 am

The first song that I really remember liking was "Sugar Sugar"- The Archies and I was 9 and I loved music ever since. My grandson who is 4 started listening to songs on YouTube ever since he was a baby, so I think it depends on what sources are available to you.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/09/13 at 11:51 am

I remember in First Grade on our way to school, everyone would sing, "We all live in a yellow school bus."

Cat

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 04/09/13 at 12:02 pm

I think it probably starts in the early teens.

That's way too late. I am listening to (pop) music since ca. 1992/93 when I was 6/7. My older sister influenced me a lot.
Kid's music time was over pretty soon. I think already before the age of 5. I have only one or two cassettes with kid's music and one is from 1990.

Written By: Katluver on 04/09/13 at 12:55 pm

I did the same, listened to music while doing homework, I did that all the way through University too. As a side track, I even watched TV while doing homework. My parents never understood any of that.

Listened to the radio and watched TV simultaneously?  ???

Written By: Katluver on 04/09/13 at 12:57 pm

I remember in First Grade on our way to school, everyone would sing, "We all live in a yellow school bus."

Cat

lol, that's cute.

i remember like that song as well when i was about that age.

Written By: warped on 04/09/13 at 1:16 pm

Sometimes. But it was usually one or the other. (TV or radio).  But I can do both. And also study at the same time. 

Written By: Katluver on 04/09/13 at 1:36 pm

Sometimes. But it was usually one or the other. (TV or radio).  But I can do both. And also study at the same time.

I don't understand how people are able to do that!  :o

Written By: waffleboy_92 on 04/09/13 at 1:51 pm

Okay, back to my question. I knew the names of popular music artists when I was a kid (like Britney Spears, 'N Sync, No Doubt, Jennifer Lopez, etc.) but I didn't know any of their songs. I didn't know any of the hit music at the time, just a few of the really popular songs. All I cared about as a kid was cartoons and video games. I really got into music when I was a teenager in 2005. Is that normal? What age are the people who remember the music of the late 90's/early 00's? Were they born in the 80's, making them a teenager in the early 00's, or were they like me, born in the early 90's and remember that music as a little kid? Because I don't remember that music when I was little. So am I part of the generation who's listens to today's music, or listened to the late 90's/early 00's music?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/09/13 at 2:00 pm

lol, that's cute.

i remember like that song as well when i was about that age.

But, when I was that age, that song was playing on the radio all the time.

Oh crap, I just dated myself again.  :-[

Cat

Written By: Howard on 04/09/13 at 2:15 pm

That's way too late. I am listening to (pop) music since ca. 1992/93 when I was 6/7. My older sister influenced me a lot.
Kid's music time was over pretty soon. I think already before the age of 5. I have only one or two cassettes with kid's music and one is from 1990.

I think I must've started listening to pop music mid to late 80's.

Written By: Howard on 04/09/13 at 2:17 pm

people were able to multitask listen to the radio and watch TV at the same time.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 04/09/13 at 2:39 pm

What age are the people who remember the music of the late 90's/early 00's? Were they born in the 80's, making them a teenager in the early 00's, or were they like me, born in the early 90's and remember that music as a little kid?

I remember that music. But like I have said, I also remember music of the early-mid 90s (which would be late 90s/early 00s for you). IMO it's strange not to be able to remember pop music from before age 13.

Written By: waffleboy_92 on 04/09/13 at 3:24 pm

I remember that music. But like I have said, I also remember music of the early-mid 90s (which would be late 90s/early 00s for you). IMO it's strange not to be able to remember pop music from before age 13.

I did remember some music as a kid, but only the really big hits of the early 00's. For example, I knew "Oops I Did it Again" by Britney Spears, "All Star" by Smash Mouth, "Bye Bye Bye" by 'N Sync. I probably knew like only 20 hit songs from the early 00's, and most of them were kid friendly songs. I didn't know any rap like 50 Cent or Nelly, or any hard rock like Green Day or Foo Fighters. I got into that when I was a teen. Because music wasn't my thing when I was a kid. Like I said, I only knew about cartoons on Nick and kid friendly stuff. So is it okay to only know a few of the big hits of that time? Is that the normal amount to know?

Written By: warped on 04/09/13 at 3:28 pm

So am I part of the generation who's listens to today's music, or listened to the late 90's/early 00's music?

Whatever year you were born, that's what you belong to, whether you listened to music right away or not. It doesn't matter if you first  listened to music when you were 5, 10 or 15, it's not important, or as important as it seems to me it is to you, by reading your posts.  Your age is what your age is.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 04/09/13 at 3:37 pm

So is it okay to only know a few of the big hits of that time? Is that the normal amount to know?

That's a different story. I also only remember some of the big hits from my childhood. But that also applies to the music from the last 10-15 years because I was never really into contemporary music and hadn't a favorite group/singer. It's therefore pretty normal only to remember some songs which were frequently played on the radio back then.

Written By: meesa on 04/09/13 at 6:02 pm

You like what you like. You remember what you remember. It is different for everyone.

When you try to pigeonhole yourself by defining whether you or someone else is a such and such decade person, you are drifting into decadeology, and that is not where you want to go. Why define yourself in such limited terms?

And yes, it is normal to remember some things and not others. It depends upon what you were paying attention to at the time.

Written By: Katluver on 04/10/13 at 3:50 am

You like what you like. You remember what you remember. It is different for everyone.

When you try to pigeonhole yourself by defining whether you or someone else is a such and such decade person, you are drifting into decadeology, and that is not where you want to go. Why define yourself in such limited terms?

And yes, it is normal to remember some things and not others. It depends upon what you were paying attention to at the time.

Well said!

Written By: Howard on 04/10/13 at 6:40 am

Whatever year you were born, that's what you belong to, whether you listened to music right away or not. It doesn't matter if you first  listened to music when you were 5, 10 or 15, it's not important, or as important as it seems to me it is to you, by reading your posts.  Your age is what your age is.

I belonged to the 70's era and to this day I still enjoy that that era even though I wasn't old enough to fully listen to it but I would hear it on the radio once in a while.

Written By: karen on 04/11/13 at 4:52 am

Well said

Also it depends a lot on what your parents listened to.  You might not have had as much exposure to music when you were younger.  Growing up in the 70s and 80s my parents listened to the local radio station which played top 40 songs and golden oldies.  There were lots of songs I liked and that I could sing along to.  I even bought a few singles but I didn't start forming my own musical tastes (and actively seeking out music) until I was in my teens

Written By: Howard on 04/11/13 at 7:01 am

Also it depends a lot on what your parents listened to.

My Parents listened to a lot of doo-wop

Written By: af2010 on 04/11/13 at 4:40 pm

I did remember some music as a kid, but only the really big hits of the early 00's. For example, I knew "Oops I Did it Again" by Britney Spears, "All Star" by Smash Mouth, "Bye Bye Bye" by 'N Sync. I probably knew like only 20 hit songs from the early 00's, and most of them were kid friendly songs. I didn't know any rap like 50 Cent or Nelly, or any hard rock like Green Day or Foo Fighters. I got into that when I was a teen. Because music wasn't my thing when I was a kid. Like I said, I only knew about cartoons on Nick and kid friendly stuff. So is it okay to only know a few of the big hits of that time? Is that the normal amount to know?

I'd say that's normal.  I was born in 87 and I remember a lot of the popular songs from the mid 90s like "The Sign", "Waterfalls", and "This is how we do it".  Basically just the major hits.  I don't remember much grunge or 'harder' rap like Tupac/Biggie.  The late 90s/early 00s was when I started paying closer attention.

Written By: warped on 04/11/13 at 5:04 pm

My Parents listened to a lot of doo-wop

My parents listened to Sinatra, Dean Martin, Perry Como and classical music. When I was young, lots of teens lived around our neighborhood in the late 60s and I got to listen to some albums (bands like the Stones, Beatles, Byrds, Monkees, etc...) so I was exposed to popular music by the late 1960s. My parents didn't really like that we hung around them coz they had long hair.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/11/13 at 5:29 pm

My parents listened to Sinatra, Dean Martin, Perry Como and classical music. When I was young, lots of teens lived around our neighborhood in the late 60s and I got to listen to some albums (bands like the Stones, Beatles, Byrds, Monkees, etc...) so I was exposed to popular music by the late 1960s. My parents didn't really like that we hung around them coz they had long hair.  ;D

My dad was always playing classical-on the piano. My mother listened to showtunes. As a kid, I could sing ALL the songs to Hello Dolly, Fiddler on the Roof, and many, many more musicals. My brother & sisters were into the Beatles, Monkees, Herman's Hermits and other popular groups.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 04/11/13 at 7:37 pm

My parents listened to a lot of what you had mentioned.

Written By: slim on 04/13/13 at 9:55 am

It depends on the person. Everyone is different. I was born '91 and I started listening to music in mid 1999 when i was 8. That was mostly the teen pop stuff til the early 00s. Then as a pre- teen i was more into rock and other types of music.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/17/16 at 2:29 am

For me, personally, I started to become interested in music when I was 5. I can remember liking and listening to songs when I was 3 and 4 years old, however I was still too young to really get a grasp on it. When I was 5, I could name all of the songs off System of a Down albums, Static-X albums and Pearl Jam's Ten album, not the sort of thing that most 5 year olds would do. :P

Written By: KatanaChick on 10/17/16 at 8:04 am

For me, personally, I started to become interested in music when I was 5. I can remember liking and listening to songs when I was 3 and 4 years old, however I was still too young to really get a grasp on it. When I was 5, I could name all of the songs off System of a Down albums, Static-X albums and Pearl Jam's Ten album, not the sort of thing that most 5 year olds would do. :P

Yeah! Static X is a band I'll always miss. A shame I never got to see them. I was in my teens when I first heard that sort of music though.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/17/16 at 10:26 am

Personally, I became interested into music when I was about 4 or 5. One of the first songs that I could recognize was Milkshake by Kelis, but that's mostly because it came from that Dodgeball movie. I was mostly into the songs that we're in the movies and shows I watched as a kid from ages 4-6, but then I listened to rock and pop music during the late 2000s. This changed when I listened to mostly heavy metal when I was almost 12. I didn't really listen to a lot of happy music until I started to be nostalgic when I was 14.

Written By: Zelek3 on 10/17/16 at 10:34 am

Written By: nally on 10/17/16 at 10:36 am

For me, I can recall gaining interest in "current" (at the time) pop music when I was 10 or 11.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/17/16 at 10:39 am

I remember a few songs here and there from the early 1990s.  It was around the mid-nineties that I started to become more musically aware, around the time I was 9 or 10.  Eurodance was at its peak around that time.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/17/16 at 12:07 pm

Honestly it could be 5 or 6 at the earliest. It could be any type of music.
Hell, I was interested in Jazz and old R&B thanks to my father.

When it comes to hip hop and rock music, the mid 00s was when my interest grew thanks to WWE's entrance themes, and my uncle gave me a hip hop/R&B CD in 2004.

Written By: Howard on 10/17/16 at 2:54 pm

I became interested in music during my teens.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/17/16 at 3:02 pm

Wow, you started late!

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/17/16 at 3:11 pm

Around 5. When your kid or younger sibling wants to listen to a song or sings along to a song he/she heard on his/her favorite show or radio then that's when the kid is interested in music. I don't think it takes up to your preteens or teens to become aware or interested in music.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/17/16 at 3:14 pm

So... you weren't really into pop music until you were a teen? What happened?

Written By: mqg96 on 10/17/16 at 3:14 pm

Looking through these comments, I agree that late childhood or early teens (age 10-14) is around the normal age to get into mainstream music on a regular basis, and I'm talking about seriously listening to your favorite radio stations on a regular basis, being able to name many of your favorite artists from the top of your head, creating your own playlists whether it was on CD's back then or Spotify today, etc. without having older siblings or parents helping you remember what music is being played. I can remember some mainstream music being repeatedly played by my parents when I was around 4-10 years old, but it wasn't until I was 11 years old when I was really hooked into mainstream music independently. Prior to that time I was mainly into kiddy culture type stuff, like OP said about himself.

Written By: mqg96 on 10/17/16 at 3:17 pm

Around 5. When your kid or younger sibling wants to listen to a song or sings along to a song he/she heard on his/her favorite show or radio then that's when the kid is interested in music. I don't think it takes up to your preteens or teens to become aware or interested in music.

Oh, and I can respect your opinion on this. It's up to the person whenever they felt music became important to their life.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/17/16 at 3:18 pm

I think most people start to listen to music when they're about 4 to 6. I remember being really into Linkin Park, Kanye West, Daft Punk, Gwen Stefani, Britney Spears, Lady Gaga, and other musicians when I was a kid (mostly when I was 7-9).

Looking through these comments, I agree that late childhood or early teens (age 10-14) is around the normal age to get into mainstream music on a regular basis, and I'm talking about seriously listening to your favorite radio stations on a regular basis, being able to name many of your favorite artists from the top of your head, creating your own playlists whether it was on CD's back then or Spotify today, etc. without having older siblings or parents helping you remember what music is being played. I can remember some mainstream music being repeatedly played by my parents when I was around 4-10 years old, but it wasn't until I was 11 years old when I was really hooked into mainstream music independently. Prior to that time I was mainly into kiddy culture type stuff, like OP said about himself.

Or unless you were introduced into the songs with the Kidz Bop albums. Although, they were mediocre to listen to when you grow older.

Written By: mqg96 on 10/17/16 at 3:22 pm

Or unless you were introduced into the songs with the Kidz Bop albums. Although, they were mediocre to listen to when you grow older.

Kidz Bop doesn't count in my book. I'm talking real legit mainstream music that's aimed towards the older demographic that you kept up with on a regular basis (independently).

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/17/16 at 3:29 pm

Kidz Bop doesn't count in my book. I'm talking real legit mainstream music that's aimed towards the older demographic that you kept up with on a regular basis (independently).

Oh. So... basically stuff from Radio Disney or anything like that, then? Although, I don't think a lot of kids listen to that kind of stuff. Even in the 2000s. I never really grew fondly of whatever Disney or Kidz Bop made as music, since I was more into the actual mainstream music as a kid.

Written By: mqg96 on 10/17/16 at 3:52 pm

Oh. So... basically stuff from Radio Disney or anything like that, then? Although, I don't think a lot of kids listen to that kind of stuff. Even in the 2000s. I never really grew fondly of whatever Disney or Kidz Bop made as music, since I was more into the actual mainstream music as a kid.

Yeah, Radio Disney or Kidz Bop is kid culture, that's what little kids in elementary school might be into, so it's not mainstream music, because in middle school, high school, college, jobs, etc. you never hear people say "oh you heard about that new song from Kidz Bop or Radio Disney ayyyyee..." HELL NO! You hear people talking about mainstream artists like Luke Bryan, Trey Songz, Kendrick Lamar, Katy Perry, Rihanna, Drake, Carrie Underwood, Adele, Wiz Khalifa, Beyonce, Taylor Swift, etc. music artists of any genre that appeals to the teen/young adult demographic. Now I know the title of this thread is "what age do people become interested in music?", so that could be any music in general, but we're clearly referring to mainstream music that you hear on the radio stations or see on the billboard charts.

Written By: Howard on 10/17/16 at 3:59 pm

Wow, you started late!

I enjoyed listening to funk music.

Written By: Howard on 10/17/16 at 4:00 pm

So... you weren't really into pop music until you were a teen? What happened?

I didn't listen to a lot of radio.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/17/16 at 4:01 pm

I didn't listen to a lot of radio.

But weren't vinyl records popular when you were a kid? How come your parents didn't really expose to mainstream music at the time?

Written By: Elor on 10/17/16 at 5:33 pm

Wow, you started late!
I can top that. ;D
19! No joke. When I was a kid we only listened to the radio when we drove around in my parents cars so I never really got into it and also didn't care much. It wasn't until my army time in 2001 before I started to really listen to the radio that played in the office I was working in. That's when I discovered my liking for 80ies music.

I've always been pretty much disconnected from Pop culture for some reason and am again right now (can't stand what's on radio at the moment). I just don't care for some reason. Guess I'm just an oddball.  :-\\

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/17/16 at 5:35 pm

I can top that. ;D
19! No joke. When I was a kid we only listened to the radio when we drove around in my parents cars so I never really got into it and also didn't care much. It wasn't until my army time in 2001 before I started to really listen to the radio that played in the office I was working in. That's when I discovered my liking for 80ies music.

I've always been pretty much disconnected from Pop culture for some reason and am again right now (can't stand what's on radio at the moment). I just don't care for some reason. Guess I'm just an oddball.  :-\\

I guess Germany didn't really had a lot of fitting music for their children. But I don't know how Europe's radio systems work, so it's just some kind of guess as an American.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 10/17/16 at 6:06 pm

I listened to whatever my parents had on the radio (usually mainstream pop) growing up, also listened to a lot of Christmas CDs my mom played from September to January (still does that, "Do You Hear What I Hear"  Whitney Houston version is on right now). I didn't start listening to music obsessively and by my choices until early 2015 when I was 16. I guess that's later than most people based on what I'm seeing.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/17/16 at 6:08 pm

I listened to whatever my parents had on the radio (usually mainstream pop) growing up, also listened to a lot of Christmas CDs my mom played from September to January (still does that, "Do You Hear What I Hear"  Whitney Houston version is on right now). I didn't start listening to music obsessively and by my choices until early 2015 when I was 16. I guess that's later than most people based on what I'm seeing.

My family also played holiday CDs. I remember around Halloween, when they played "Monster Mash" when I was a kid. Not sure which Halloween (maybe 2005, 2006, or 2007), since it's not really one of my favorite holidays in my personal life.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 10/17/16 at 6:24 pm

My family also played holiday CDs. I remember around Halloween, when they played "Monster Mash" when I was a kid. Not sure which Halloween (maybe 2005, 2006, or 2007), since it's not really one of my favorite holidays in my personal life.

Oh gosh, my mom played Monster Mash from 2013-2014 in October with other Halloween themed songs as well. 

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/17/16 at 6:26 pm

Oh gosh, my mom played Monster Mash from 2013-2014 in October with other Halloween themed songs as well.

Yeah. But I mostly heard "Monster Mash" from my elementary school's Halloween parties.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/17/16 at 11:48 pm

I would agree with your view.

The first pop song that I have a clear memory of the period when it was super popular is "MMMBop" by Hanson. I was in 4th grade at the time that song peaked in early 1997 and even though I hated it with a passion, I can still appreciate how massive it was. 1997 was also when my parents got me my first CD player (as a Christmas present) and when I started buying CD's with my allowance money. At that time, though, my music choices were mostly still influenced by what my parents liked (the first CD I ever brought was Sevens by Garth Brooks ;D). My parents also got me a portable FM radio for Christmas '97, and I used to ride around on my bike listening to Top 40 stations on my headphones.

1998, I feel, is when I really started coming into my own musically. By the time I started junior high that fall I was either listening to the radio or watching MTV about 3 or 4 hours a day, and mostly taking my cues about which music was "cool" to like from my friends and classmates as opposed to my parents.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 10/18/16 at 12:01 am

Parents listen to music aimed at their demographic in the car. At that age  I heard mainly 80s and 90s music, both for teens and adult contemporary.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/18/16 at 12:18 am

About 11, or 12? Usually by 12.

Written By: Elor on 10/18/16 at 4:51 am

I guess Germany didn't really had a lot of fitting music for their children. But I don't know how Europe's radio systems work, so it's just some kind of guess as an American.
No, the other guys were into music much earlier, around 9-10 I guess. It's just me. I've always been a bit different. :-\\

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/18/16 at 5:40 am

No, the other guys were into music much earlier, around 9-10 I guess. It's just me. I've always been a bit different. :-\\

Oh. I guess you were into kiddy stuff when you were younger.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/18/16 at 5:45 am

For myself, it was at a tender young age. Both of my parents were into classical music, and easy listening pop, but it was my elder sister that introduced me to the real pop music, with such as The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, etc.

Written By: Howard on 10/18/16 at 2:49 pm

But weren't vinyl records popular when you were a kid? How come your parents didn't really expose to mainstream music at the time?

Yes, vinyl was popular when I was growing up during the late 70's. I was too small to have understood music at the time.

Written By: Catherine91UK on 11/13/16 at 2:26 pm

I was 9 when I bought my first CD, and 10 when I got a cassette recorder and began recording songs from the radio.

Written By: 2001 on 11/13/16 at 2:56 pm

I was 9 when I bought my first CD, and 10 when I got a cassette recorder and began recording songs from the radio.

Haha, I remember recording Disney songs and of course Shrek's Viva La Vida Loca on cassette ;D

IDK. Like the OP, I listened to the popular teen pop songs of the era when I was ages 4-9, Macerena, Baby One More Time, I Want It That Way, Bye Bye Bye, The Call etc. but I didn't start buying music or actively listening to music as a pass time activity until I was 10. Even then, I was mostly listening to whatever my friends were listening to or whatever was on the radio. I didn't start doing my own thing until I was 13.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 11/13/16 at 5:14 pm

All of you who started under 14, did you actually listen to a lot of music of your choice, or do you mean you listened to a couple CDs, (this can be records, MP3s, etc depending on when you grew up) radio, until you got older, what do y'all consider starting to listen to music?

I said 16 because that's when I started buying songs, keeping up with charts, searching for new types of music, etc. I would listen to CDs my parents had before that as well as radio a lot, I looked for a song on YouTube occasionally, I even had my own CD, but none of that was how it is today for me.

Written By: Starlighter on 11/15/16 at 7:40 pm

I was pretty young.  My parents liked to play music a lot so our home was always filled with song.  At the time the songs they would play were considered oldies (50's and 60's) and I loved them.  I didn't start to listen to the current stuff until I was 5 or 6.  That was when my older brother would play what was popular at the time and I discovered that there was more music out there.

Written By: Knew Wave on 11/15/16 at 11:41 pm

It depends on the person. I listened to dated pop and rock when I was pre-school age. I didn't really get into hard rock until I was in junior high school, though. I got into alternative rock when I was in high school.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 11/16/16 at 2:01 am

All of you who started under 14, did you actually listen to a lot of music of your choice, or do you mean you listened to a couple CDs, (this can be records, MP3s, etc depending on when you grew up) radio, until you got older, what do y'all consider starting to listen to music?

I became interested in music when I was 5. Even though it was mostly with albums my parents owned, I listened to music of my own choice and I knew the names of the songs/albums as well. For instance, I would listen to System of a Down, Static-X, Linkin Park and Pearl Jam's Ten album on my stereo. Also, I liked certain songs that my parents didn't like as well. The first time this was the case, was when I was 5 and I liked Shannon Noll's debut album (an Australian artist), which was released at the time. My Mum had bought the album for me. When I was 7, I listened to albums on my portable disc player. The following year, for my birthday, I received Linkin Park's What I've Done EP and I also saw them perform live, on the 20th October 2007 at the Sydney Entertainment Centre.

Generally speaking, everyone becomes interested in music at different stages of their life. As Knew Wave suggested, it really does depend on the person.

Written By: aja675 on 11/16/16 at 2:35 am

I've liked music since toddlerhood.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 11/16/16 at 3:22 am

I became interested in music when I was 5. Even though it was mostly with albums my parents owned, I listened to music of my own choice and I knew the names of the songs/albums as well. For instance, I would listen to System of a Down, Static-X, Linkin Park and Pearl Jam's Ten album on my stereo. Also, I liked certain songs that my parents didn't like as well. The first time this was the case, was when I was 5 and I liked Shannon Noll's debut album (an Australian artist), which was released at the time. My Mum had bought the album for me. When I was 7, I listened to albums on my portable disc player. The following year, for my birthday, I received Linkin Park's What I've Done EP and I also saw them perform live, on the 20th October 2007 at the Sydney Entertainment Centre.

Generally speaking, everyone becomes interested in music at different stages of their life. As Knew Wave suggested, it really does depend on the person.

Sounds like you were more interested in music than I was growing up, (as mentioned previously, I didn't 'really' start listening to music until I was 15 or 16) I guess everyone is different which is a good thing. Wow, yeah, by mentioning you listening to your parent's CDs on your stereo, that made me remember listening to the Titanic soundtrack (lol) a lot with my brother and sister on my sister's stereo. We listened to Christmas music on there as well and children's songs, other stuff too.

We listened to all of the CDs from the original Xbox bag which was supposed to hold a lot of video games, but we put CDs in there. I guess I just completely forgot about that, thanks for helping me remember, even if it was unintentional. ;D

Written By: nally on 11/16/16 at 9:01 am

It depends on the person. I listened to dated pop and rock when I was pre-school age. I didn't really get into hard rock until I was in junior high school, though. I got into alternative rock when I was in high school.

On a related note, I can remember liking "oldies" music (pre-1970s pop and rock-n-roll) when I was in my single-digits. Sometime around age 10 I started liking some "newer" stuff (at the time).

Written By: Knew Wave on 11/17/16 at 11:48 pm

On a related note, I can remember liking "oldies" music (pre-1970s pop and rock-n-roll) when I was in my single-digits. Sometime around age 10 I started liking some "newer" stuff (at the time).

I got stacks of old 45s from a relative. There was quite a bit of old country and old soul. I also listened to my parents' albums. I got into current Top Forty at some point in grade school.

Written By: aja675 on 11/19/16 at 1:18 am

I've liked music since toddlerhood.
That's why my taste ended up being poppy and stuck in the Y2K era.

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/22/18 at 7:56 pm

I remember when I started paying more attention to the pop culture in 2012 when I was 10 years old. Even before that, I can still remember myself listening to a lot of music as early as age 4.
When I was six years old, I had my own iPod Nano that I used to listen to a lot.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/22/18 at 8:03 pm

Before age 10 1/2, I'd "go with the flow" on music, never caring that much about what was on (despite that there were a ton of songs I liked by then - I just didn't pursue them).  Around age 10 1/2 (I was in sixth grade) I began turning on the radio for myself.  My brother, a year older than me, started getting into it around the same time.  Once I started to know the music I just got more and more engrossed in it.  That was late 1970, and it was a bountiful time to start getting into music.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 02/22/18 at 8:40 pm

I'm going to update upon what I originally posted in 2016 on this thread, I did actually listen to music of my own choice besides radio and what my parents played from age 7-11 on YouTube, it was a lot of the 00's rock type of music, also loved Rock Band, which is so freaking different compared to what I listen to today, I guess I just didn't say it back when I made the post, because around the time I turned 16 is when I started discovering and listening to music much more often than I ever did previously, so I didn't really count anything from before.

Also remember using my mom's iPod as a child (around age 5-7) listening to music like "Livin' La Vida Loca" and "Build Me Up Buttercup" over and over again.

Written By: Howard on 02/23/18 at 7:55 am

I would say in the early to mid teens.

Written By: 2001 on 02/23/18 at 8:33 am

It was 10/11 for me.

Written By: unicornic on 02/23/18 at 10:25 am

Around age 8 was when I became interested in the mainstream music.

Check for new replies or respond here...