inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: At what age do people become interested in music?

Written By: waffleboy_92 on 04/08/13 at 5:27 pm

I want to know because I became interested in music in 2005 when I was 13, but I feel like that was too late. Before that I just cared about cartoons and kid's entertainment. I don't mean just knowing a few of the most popular songs, I mean really becoming interested in different artists and bands. Is it true that people who will grow up with today's music are 90's babies, or early 00's babies? Because I was born in 1992 and I don't like today's music. Should I have been listening to music in the early 00's? I feel bad that I wasn't. Because every time I go to music videos from the late 90's/early 00's on YouTube people say they knew that song when they were young kids. So my question is is it okay to start listening to music when you become a teenager, or do most people start when they're kids? Because I feel like I missed out on a good time in music. Can somebody help me with this?

Subject: Re: At what age do people become interested in music?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/08/13 at 5:45 pm

My grandson (who just turned 3 today), has been singing and trying to play instruments since he could walk/talk. I'm sure he knows who sings many songs.

Cat

Written By: wildcard on 04/08/13 at 6:25 pm

who knows how young I was when I started singing.  I was born in 1982.

Written By: warped on 04/08/13 at 8:40 pm

I became interested in listening to music on the radio when I was about 5.      I have a vague recollection of hits being on the radio, hits from 1967 and 1968. The radio I had until 1975 looked quite a bit like this one, handed down from my parents. 

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/vintage-50-s-red-Philco-tube-radio-with-catalin-like-look-Eames-era-/00/s/MTIyOFgxNTEz/z/GnsAAOxyaTxRPn1t/$T2eC16FHJHoE9n3Kd48YBRPn1tSR1g~~60_35.JPG

I listened to music on the radio all the time from then until circa 1986 or 1987 when I found music went downhill. I liked the music that was played when I was a kid.

Written By: whistledog on 04/08/13 at 8:58 pm

When I was a kid, I just listened to whatever was on the radio.  I was never into proactively listening to music on my own until I was in my teens.

Written By: Inertia on 04/08/13 at 9:24 pm

I used to sing all the way to and from school on the preschool bus so I've always been interested in music to a degree.

If you mean being an active listener and developing your own unique taste in music I would say the latter happened much later for me although I would not be able to pinpoint an exact age.

I actually used to tell people I "hated music" in middle school as it seemed easier than explaining my selective tastes.

Written By: Katluver on 04/08/13 at 9:30 pm

I think it varies---some people like listening to music before they're in grade school while others might not be interested until they're well into highschool.

Personally, I enjoyed listening to the music that was played in the background ever since I was a small child. By the time I was 10, I had my own portable radio and got my first Top 40 cassette that Christmas. I also began to watch music videos. By the time I was 12, I would start doing my homework to the radio station that played the top hits.

Written By: Howard on 04/09/13 at 6:52 am

I think it probably starts in the early teens.

Written By: warped on 04/09/13 at 7:25 am

By the time I was 12, I would start doing my homework to the radio station that played the top hits.

I did the same, listened to music while doing homework, I did that all the way through University too. As a side track, I even watched TV while doing homework. My parents never understood any of that.

Written By: ninny on 04/09/13 at 7:30 am

The first song that I really remember liking was "Sugar Sugar"- The Archies and I was 9 and I loved music ever since. My grandson who is 4 started listening to songs on YouTube ever since he was a baby, so I think it depends on what sources are available to you.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/09/13 at 11:51 am

I remember in First Grade on our way to school, everyone would sing, "We all live in a yellow school bus."

Cat

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 04/09/13 at 12:02 pm

I think it probably starts in the early teens.

That's way too late. I am listening to (pop) music since ca. 1992/93 when I was 6/7. My older sister influenced me a lot.
Kid's music time was over pretty soon. I think already before the age of 5. I have only one or two cassettes with kid's music and one is from 1990.

Written By: Katluver on 04/09/13 at 12:55 pm

I did the same, listened to music while doing homework, I did that all the way through University too. As a side track, I even watched TV while doing homework. My parents never understood any of that.

Listened to the radio and watched TV simultaneously?  ???

Written By: Katluver on 04/09/13 at 12:57 pm

I remember in First Grade on our way to school, everyone would sing, "We all live in a yellow school bus."

Cat

lol, that's cute.

i remember like that song as well when i was about that age.

Written By: warped on 04/09/13 at 1:16 pm

Sometimes. But it was usually one or the other. (TV or radio).  But I can do both. And also study at the same time. 

Written By: Katluver on 04/09/13 at 1:36 pm

Sometimes. But it was usually one or the other. (TV or radio).  But I can do both. And also study at the same time.

I don't understand how people are able to do that!  :o

Written By: waffleboy_92 on 04/09/13 at 1:51 pm

Okay, back to my question. I knew the names of popular music artists when I was a kid (like Britney Spears, 'N Sync, No Doubt, Jennifer Lopez, etc.) but I didn't know any of their songs. I didn't know any of the hit music at the time, just a few of the really popular songs. All I cared about as a kid was cartoons and video games. I really got into music when I was a teenager in 2005. Is that normal? What age are the people who remember the music of the late 90's/early 00's? Were they born in the 80's, making them a teenager in the early 00's, or were they like me, born in the early 90's and remember that music as a little kid? Because I don't remember that music when I was little. So am I part of the generation who's listens to today's music, or listened to the late 90's/early 00's music?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/09/13 at 2:00 pm

lol, that's cute.

i remember like that song as well when i was about that age.

But, when I was that age, that song was playing on the radio all the time.

Oh crap, I just dated myself again.  :-[

Cat

Written By: Howard on 04/09/13 at 2:15 pm

That's way too late. I am listening to (pop) music since ca. 1992/93 when I was 6/7. My older sister influenced me a lot.
Kid's music time was over pretty soon. I think already before the age of 5. I have only one or two cassettes with kid's music and one is from 1990.

I think I must've started listening to pop music mid to late 80's.

Written By: Howard on 04/09/13 at 2:17 pm

people were able to multitask listen to the radio and watch TV at the same time.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 04/09/13 at 2:39 pm

What age are the people who remember the music of the late 90's/early 00's? Were they born in the 80's, making them a teenager in the early 00's, or were they like me, born in the early 90's and remember that music as a little kid?

I remember that music. But like I have said, I also remember music of the early-mid 90s (which would be late 90s/early 00s for you). IMO it's strange not to be able to remember pop music from before age 13.

Written By: waffleboy_92 on 04/09/13 at 3:24 pm

I remember that music. But like I have said, I also remember music of the early-mid 90s (which would be late 90s/early 00s for you). IMO it's strange not to be able to remember pop music from before age 13.

I did remember some music as a kid, but only the really big hits of the early 00's. For example, I knew "Oops I Did it Again" by Britney Spears, "All Star" by Smash Mouth, "Bye Bye Bye" by 'N Sync. I probably knew like only 20 hit songs from the early 00's, and most of them were kid friendly songs. I didn't know any rap like 50 Cent or Nelly, or any hard rock like Green Day or Foo Fighters. I got into that when I was a teen. Because music wasn't my thing when I was a kid. Like I said, I only knew about cartoons on Nick and kid friendly stuff. So is it okay to only know a few of the big hits of that time? Is that the normal amount to know?

Written By: warped on 04/09/13 at 3:28 pm

So am I part of the generation who's listens to today's music, or listened to the late 90's/early 00's music?

Whatever year you were born, that's what you belong to, whether you listened to music right away or not. It doesn't matter if you first  listened to music when you were 5, 10 or 15, it's not important, or as important as it seems to me it is to you, by reading your posts.  Your age is what your age is.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 04/09/13 at 3:37 pm

So is it okay to only know a few of the big hits of that time? Is that the normal amount to know?

That's a different story. I also only remember some of the big hits from my childhood. But that also applies to the music from the last 10-15 years because I was never really into contemporary music and hadn't a favorite group/singer. It's therefore pretty normal only to remember some songs which were frequently played on the radio back then.

Written By: meesa on 04/09/13 at 6:02 pm

You like what you like. You remember what you remember. It is different for everyone.

When you try to pigeonhole yourself by defining whether you or someone else is a such and such decade person, you are drifting into decadeology, and that is not where you want to go. Why define yourself in such limited terms?

And yes, it is normal to remember some things and not others. It depends upon what you were paying attention to at the time.

Written By: Katluver on 04/10/13 at 3:50 am

You like what you like. You remember what you remember. It is different for everyone.

When you try to pigeonhole yourself by defining whether you or someone else is a such and such decade person, you are drifting into decadeology, and that is not where you want to go. Why define yourself in such limited terms?

And yes, it is normal to remember some things and not others. It depends upon what you were paying attention to at the time.

Well said!

Written By: Howard on 04/10/13 at 6:40 am

Whatever year you were born, that's what you belong to, whether you listened to music right away or not. It doesn't matter if you first  listened to music when you were 5, 10 or 15, it's not important, or as important as it seems to me it is to you, by reading your posts.  Your age is what your age is.

I belonged to the 70's era and to this day I still enjoy that that era even though I wasn't old enough to fully listen to it but I would hear it on the radio once in a while.

Written By: karen on 04/11/13 at 4:52 am

Well said

Also it depends a lot on what your parents listened to.  You might not have had as much exposure to music when you were younger.  Growing up in the 70s and 80s my parents listened to the local radio station which played top 40 songs and golden oldies.  There were lots of songs I liked and that I could sing along to.  I even bought a few singles but I didn't start forming my own musical tastes (and actively seeking out music) until I was in my teens

Written By: Howard on 04/11/13 at 7:01 am

Also it depends a lot on what your parents listened to.

My Parents listened to a lot of doo-wop

Written By: af2010 on 04/11/13 at 4:40 pm

I did remember some music as a kid, but only the really big hits of the early 00's. For example, I knew "Oops I Did it Again" by Britney Spears, "All Star" by Smash Mouth, "Bye Bye Bye" by 'N Sync. I probably knew like only 20 hit songs from the early 00's, and most of them were kid friendly songs. I didn't know any rap like 50 Cent or Nelly, or any hard rock like Green Day or Foo Fighters. I got into that when I was a teen. Because music wasn't my thing when I was a kid. Like I said, I only knew about cartoons on Nick and kid friendly stuff. So is it okay to only know a few of the big hits of that time? Is that the normal amount to know?

I'd say that's normal.  I was born in 87 and I remember a lot of the popular songs from the mid 90s like "The Sign", "Waterfalls", and "This is how we do it".  Basically just the major hits.  I don't remember much grunge or 'harder' rap like Tupac/Biggie.  The late 90s/early 00s was when I started paying closer attention.

Written By: warped on 04/11/13 at 5:04 pm

My Parents listened to a lot of doo-wop

My parents listened to Sinatra, Dean Martin, Perry Como and classical music. When I was young, lots of teens lived around our neighborhood in the late 60s and I got to listen to some albums (bands like the Stones, Beatles, Byrds, Monkees, etc...) so I was exposed to popular music by the late 1960s. My parents didn't really like that we hung around them coz they had long hair.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/11/13 at 5:29 pm

My parents listened to Sinatra, Dean Martin, Perry Como and classical music. When I was young, lots of teens lived around our neighborhood in the late 60s and I got to listen to some albums (bands like the Stones, Beatles, Byrds, Monkees, etc...) so I was exposed to popular music by the late 1960s. My parents didn't really like that we hung around them coz they had long hair.  ;D

My dad was always playing classical-on the piano. My mother listened to showtunes. As a kid, I could sing ALL the songs to Hello Dolly, Fiddler on the Roof, and many, many more musicals. My brother & sisters were into the Beatles, Monkees, Herman's Hermits and other popular groups.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 04/11/13 at 7:37 pm

My parents listened to a lot of what you had mentioned.

Written By: slim on 04/13/13 at 9:55 am

It depends on the person. Everyone is different. I was born '91 and I started listening to music in mid 1999 when i was 8. That was mostly the teen pop stuff til the early 00s. Then as a pre- teen i was more into rock and other types of music.

Check for new replies or respond here...