inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Which 20th century decades is most talked about generally?

Written By: 80sfan on 04/26/13 at 12:46 pm

This can count as outside of the inthe00s circle of course! :D

Subject: Re: Which 20th century decades is most talked about generally?

Written By: danootaandme on 04/26/13 at 6:11 pm

60s

Written By: Howard on 04/26/13 at 7:25 pm

1970's

Written By: warped on 04/26/13 at 7:31 pm

60s

I think so.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/26/13 at 8:33 pm

60s

Yeah, I'd have to agree. I think the 80s come in second and the 1920s is somewhere in there too.

Written By: captainEO on 04/27/13 at 7:28 am

The 90s are extremely popular.

A lot of people talk about the 90s on the internet. And Gen Y is now an extremely influential group.
Late 70s/early 80s born to like late 90s is the widest range. A large group thst identifies with the 90s a lot.
Even Microsoft catered to this group solely when marketing their internet browser.

Written By: warped on 04/27/13 at 10:10 am

A lot of people talk about the 90s on the internet. And Gen Y is now an extremely influential group.
Late 70s/early 80s born to like late 90s is the widest range. A large group thst identifies with the 90s a lot.
Even Microsoft catered to this group solely when marketing their internet browser.

I have no interest at all in the 90s. Most people my age don't. I think the only ones who are interested in the 90s are the kids that grew up in the 90s. Most people here have a love for the 80s or the 70s. Not much love for the 90s here. I think it's because the 90s (for me) are too recent. No nostalgia has developed for it yet.

Written By: Katluver on 04/27/13 at 1:21 pm

Definitely the 60s since people still about them today.

Over 180,000 views:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR_HLlRP1ro

Written By: meesa on 04/27/13 at 3:52 pm

hmm tough one. the 40's and 60's to be sure. 80's for me, but maybe not for everyone.

Written By: Inertia on 04/27/13 at 4:15 pm

It varies between people too much to find a definitive answer. Though based on personal observation, I would probably say the 1980's are very popular for discussion.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/27/13 at 4:43 pm

I hear 80s and 90s with the under 25s a few times. But overall the 90s don't stick out as much as the other decades.

Written By: warped on 04/27/13 at 5:30 pm

The 60s stick out for some of these reasons

- Assasination of JFK
- Assasinations of Martin Luther King and RFK
- Civil rights movement
- The Beatles and 60s music
- Hippy movement
- Vietnam war and protests
- Man walked on the moon
- Woodstock

Written By: Howard on 04/27/13 at 7:44 pm

I think the only ones who are interested in the 90s are the kids that grew up in the 90s. Most people here have a love for the 80s or the 70s. Not much love for the 90s here. I think it's because the 90s (for me) are too recent. No nostalgia has developed for it yet.

I'm not crazy about the 90's, enjoyed most of the 80's.

Written By: Emman on 04/28/13 at 12:01 am

Probably the '60s because it set in motion vast cultural and social changes.
The Great Depression and World War 2 era(1929-1945) was very changeful as well on a more political and economic level, the aftermath of that period basically founded our modern way of life as we know it(in the western world).

Interestingly the first decade of the 20th century was actually quite similar to the '60s too as they are both regarded as progressive eras, there was a young generation using social activism to push various idealistic agendas(feminism, labor unions, child labor laws, ect) to change the society.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 04/28/13 at 3:22 am

It varies between people too much to find a definitive answer. Though based on personal observation, I would probably say the 1980's are very popular for discussion.

I think that one pretty much fits to Germany.

The 80s are still popular on regular pop radio stations over here, so I'll go with that decade.

Written By: Howard on 04/28/13 at 4:09 pm

The 80s are still popular on regular pop radio stations over here, so I'll go with that decade.

even WCBS FM are playing 80's.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 04/29/13 at 3:23 am

I would have to say the '80s are referenced the most. Though I'm surprised the '50s haven't been mentioned yet. Those are up there too, for sure. '20s would probably be third. These three decades seem to be the most stereotyped, such as the '50s being thought of like a black and white sitcom.

I have a feeling most of us would agree the 1910s are talked about the least.

Written By: captainEO on 04/29/13 at 6:43 am

I have no interest at all in the 90s. Most people my age don't. I think the only ones who are interested in the 90s are the kids that grew up in the 90s. Most people here have a love for the 80s or the 70s. Not much love for the 90s here. I think it's because the 90s (for me) are too recent. No nostalgia has developed for it yet.

Yeah, I suppose that makes sense but I still think the 90s should get a fair shot for consideration here...

The 60s stick out for some of these reasons

- Assasination of JFK
- Assasinations of Martin Luther King and RFK
- Civil rights movement
- The Beatles and 60s music
- Hippy movement
- Vietnam war and protests
- Man walked on the moon
- Woodstock

Yeah, I think the 60s are probably the most popular overall...

If I were to rank it:
1. 60s
2. 80s/90s
3. 20s/70s

Anyway, just to illustrate my previous point, here
qkM6RJf15cg
^It's at 28 Million Views. That's extremely popular. And the references are relevant to a wide range of ages.

I think the 90s will become even more popular over time, but I don't know if the decade will ever have as much significance as the 60s

Written By: warped on 04/29/13 at 6:53 am

I would rank the 90s dead last as having significance. But lots of 90s kids have come through here trying to persuade others or make a case for others like/love the 90s.

Ain't gonna work for me. The 90s are the "empty" decade for me, IMO. It's just my opinion though.

One of the reasons why the youtude video has so many hits is because many of the 90s kids generation live on youtube. That's why a Bieber song has gazillions more hits than Beatles songs. 

Written By: meesa on 04/29/13 at 8:56 am

One of the reasons why the youtude video has so many hits is because many of the 90s kids generation live on youtube. That's why a Bieber song has gazillions more hits than Beatles songs.

Exactly. And imagine if something like youtube would have been available when the Beatles got rolling! And take into account some of those view counts for Bieber are people who only want to make fun of him. It is a long running joke at our house to "beiber" each other (walk in the room, say 'Hey check this out! It's really cool..' and then you play Bieber crap and laugh at the victim). That is what my teens (and their friends) use bieber for. When my son put the Beatles on his mp3 and my daughter put Blondie on hers, I felt like:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l5b8i28pBi1qcdzbno1_400.jpg

Oh, and from what I have read, 73 million people tuned in to the Ed Sullivan show to see the Beatles..and that was just the one time opportunity.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/29/13 at 10:55 am

Back in the 90s and first half of the 00s I heard more about the 60s, but these days the 80s are getting all the attention. Maybe because the 60s are becoming older and older of a time?

However the 60s still gets tons of press, LOL. I think once we get deep into the 21st century the 60s and 80s will stand out the most equally.

I also hear a lot about the 50s, 70s, 30s, an 20s. With the 50s coming in first and 70s next. I also hear about the 30s and 20s next in line.

Written By: Howard on 04/29/13 at 2:42 pm

Oh, and from what I have read, 73 million people tuned in to the Ed Sullivan show to see the Beatles..and that was just the one time opportunity.

and what about if Justin Bieber back then if he was on Ed Sullivan would he have gotten many hits as he does now?  ???

Written By: Howard on 04/29/13 at 2:43 pm

However the 60s still gets tons of press, LOL. I think once we get deep into the 21st century the 60s and 80s will stand out the most equally.

I agree.

Written By: Dagwood on 04/29/13 at 6:18 pm

and what about if Justin Bieber back then if he was on Ed Sullivan would he have gotten many hits as he does now?  ???

??? That question makes absolutely no sense to me, Howard

Written By: warped on 04/29/13 at 6:20 pm

I read it as you did.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/29/13 at 10:04 pm

I think if Justin Bieber was on Ed Sullivan he'd be big as he is on Youtube because he'd be considered 'in' and 'popular' with 11 year old girls! A lot of teen male singers were popular with young girls and I think Bieber would've been too.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/29/13 at 10:04 pm

I agree.

Yay!!

Written By: Brian06 on 04/29/13 at 10:59 pm

I think the 60s-80s generally are the biggest. The 50s still a bit though they're getting "too old" for most people sadly. The '90s are starting to get more attention though they're still generally a bit too recent.

Written By: Howard on 04/30/13 at 6:54 am

I was just saying if Justin Bieber was on Ed Sullivan in the 60's (for example)

Written By: Katluver on 04/30/13 at 10:47 am

I don't think it has anything to do with how long ago that decade occurred because look at the comparison between the '20s and '50s. Despite the '20s occurring 90 years ago, they still stick out more than the '50s.

While the '80s are talked about now, I think it's just a fad. Despite the fashion and music, no major movements occurred. In the decades to follow from this one, I think these 20th century decades will stand the test of time:
1. 60s---Vietnam (a war that lasted for over 10 years), flower power, unusual slang, drugs, psychedilic, new philosophy, women's rights, integration, basically the freedom from conforming...
2. 40s---WW2, Nazis, Japanese camps, Baby Boom, swing dancing, the best fashion...
3. 20s---many various forms of new technology become commonplace (car, moving pictures...), alcohol prohibition, women being more independant than before, art deco, mobsters, the financial "boom", the "crash"...

Written By: 80sfan on 04/30/13 at 12:54 pm

I don't think it has anything to do with how long ago that decade occurred because look at the comparison between the '20s and '50s. Despite the '20s occurring 90 years ago, they still stick out more than the '50s.

While the '80s are talked about now, I think it's just a fad. Despite the fashion and music, no major movements occurred. In the decades to follow from this one, I think these 20th century decades will stand the test of time:
1. 60s---Vietnam (a war that lasted for over 10 years), flower power, unusual slang, drugs, psychedilic, new philosophy, women's rights, integration, basically the freedom from conforming...
2. 40s---WW2, Nazis, Japanese camps, Baby Boom, swing dancing, the best fashion...
3. 20s---many various forms of new technology become commonplace (car, moving pictures...), alcohol prohibition, women being more independant than before, art deco, mobsters, the financial "boom", the "crash"...

You have a point. The whole 80s 'craze' we've had since the mid-00s might be just a fad. Although it was a very rich time for culture I have to admit, fashion was well strange.

Written By: Dagwood on 04/30/13 at 9:45 pm

I was just saying if Justin Bieber was on Ed Sullivan in the 60's (for example)

I still don't get it.  If the Biebs was on Ed Sullivan would have have gotten as many youtube hits?  If that is the question the answer would be no since youtube didn't exist then.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/01/13 at 1:11 am

I still don't get it.  If the Biebs was on Ed Sullivan would have have gotten as many youtube hits?  If that is the question the answer would be no since youtube didn't exist then.

This proves everything. Justin Bieber is an it! My truth is confirmed!  >:( >:(

Written By: captainEO on 05/01/13 at 5:54 am

No. He meant if there'd be as many viewers tuned into Ed Sullivan watching him. And I think the answer to that is a resounding YES.

Love him or hate him, his several hundred millions of views on YouTube would translate to something similar television views wise in the 60s.

Like, today we don't really compare record sales because of digital downloads and piracy. Because of that, the Beatles are still uncontested when it comes to record sales...just as Justin Bieber is uncontested when it comes to YouTube hits.

You can't really compare feats from separate times because too many things are different, but the point remains is that Bieber undoubtedly matches the Beatles' popularity as it was at their height in the 60s (not counting their legacy in the following decades). One Direction is up there too

The Biebs has more than 38 MILLION followers on Twitter

Written By: warped on 05/01/13 at 6:06 am

This proves everything. Justin Bieber is an it! My truth is confirmed!  >:( >:(

I still have never listened to more than 5 seconds of any of her songs because THEY SUCK!

Written By: Howard on 05/01/13 at 7:53 am

Ok I see your point.

Written By: meesa on 05/01/13 at 10:03 am

Love him or hate him, his several hundred millions of views on YouTube would translate to something similar television views wise in the 60s.

not likely. I already explained this before; how long of a time has this spanned for his millions of views, and how many are simply for making fun, etc. He isn't breaking any new ground; he isn't introducing a new sound, and he damn sure isn't changing culture. He is a trend that will die once the preteen girls get wise (and get some taste).

You can't really compare feats from separate times because too many things are different ahh, which is exactly why that silly decadeology some of our 'guests' spew is invalid (not to mention boring). However, if you are trying to compare musicians from different times, you have to find some kind of a common measure to start.

but the point remains is that Bieber undoubtedly matches the Beatles' popularity as it was at their height in the 60s (not counting their legacy in the following decades). One Direction is up there too There can be no real comparison of a group like the Beatles to Bieber or One Direction. I am going to have to pull the "C'mon, man!" card now.

I am also done with this conversation. If someone truly wants to believe that bieber and one direction are as big as a group like the Beatles, then it's a waste of time to argue with them.

Written By: warped on 05/01/13 at 10:13 am

I am also done with this conversation. If someone truly wants to believe that bieber and one direction are as big as a group like the Beatles, then it's a waste of time to argue with them.

eeyup, or they are just pulling your leg.
90s kids live on youtube, if Lady Gaga farted doing her laundry, it would get 10 million views, and the same people would watch it a hundred times. 

Bieber having millions of views or  followers is like that old saying "Eat shyt, 10,000,000 flies can't be wrong"

Anyhow, I feel fortunate to have been born in the 60s, the decade most talked about.

Written By: meesa on 05/01/13 at 10:27 am

Bieber having millions of views or  followers is like that old saying "Eat shyt, 10,000,000 flies can't be wrong"

;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 05/01/13 at 1:14 pm

I still have never listened to more than 5 seconds of any of her songs because THEY SUCK!

;D

Written By: Howard on 05/01/13 at 3:43 pm

both were a part of 2 different generations.

Check for new replies or respond here...