inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What is the newest music you'd consider "oldies"?

Written By: Braeden on 05/02/13 at 12:47 pm

I'd say 1970's and before

Subject: Re: What is the newest music you'd consider "oldies"?

Written By: Tashlovglit on 05/02/13 at 12:49 pm

Anything after 1959 doesn't feel like oldies to me  :P

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 05/02/13 at 1:54 pm

I'd say prior to 1973. Sometimes in the 70s there was a shift to modern, more timeless music. Especially the 80s don't sound 'old'. No wonder they are still played on some pop stations over here.

Written By: wildcard on 05/02/13 at 1:59 pm

born in 82 and consider anything before the 90's as an oldie.  Anything after I consider it as nothing I'd want to hear if my CI did work better.

Written By: captainEO on 05/02/13 at 2:31 pm

I don't even know what "oldies" are

I don't think you can even class "old'...old is old.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/02/13 at 3:10 pm

50's.

Written By: whistledog on 05/02/13 at 5:33 pm

This poll has weird options.  I cannot answer as a result

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/02/13 at 5:46 pm

Anything that came out before you were born.

Cat

Written By: warped on 05/02/13 at 6:30 pm

Close enough. I'd say before 1960 is an oldie.

Written By: Howard on 05/02/13 at 7:48 pm

Any music after 1980.

Written By: nally on 05/02/13 at 7:57 pm

Any music after 1980.

After 1980?? That includes current stuff...are you sure you'd want to call that "oldies"?? :o ???

Personally, the newest stuff I'd consider oldies would be from 1969/1970. It just has that "feel" to it.

Written By: Katluver on 05/03/13 at 2:40 am

I selected "1988". I have to admit that the music from that year is starting to sound like the oldies. After all it was 25 years ago  :o

Written By: Howard on 05/03/13 at 6:52 am

After 1980?? That includes current stuff...are you sure you'd want to call that "oldies"?? :o ???

Personally, the newest stuff I'd consider oldies would be from 1969/1970. It just has that "feel" to it.

might be considered "retro".

Written By: Howard on 05/03/13 at 6:52 am

I guess I could say after 1960.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/03/13 at 11:24 pm

I'd usually say '70s and earlier, but maybe up to around 1982.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/04/13 at 12:26 am

In my opinion 1993. Anything past that is 'modern' to me.

Written By: Mat1991 on 05/04/13 at 12:51 am

Also take into consideration the genre of music dominant during those years. I can't imagine any music from the '90s as "oldies" because grunge was dominant during that decade and that sound just doesn't cross me as old yet. The general sound of '80s music sounds more oldies-ish to me, so that's why I selected 1988.

Written By: warped on 05/04/13 at 6:19 am

Cat

This is probably the closest to the correct answer.

Written By: Howard on 05/04/13 at 6:46 am

I can't imagine any music from the '90s as "oldies" because grunge was dominant during that decade and that sound just doesn't cross me as old yet

grunge wouldn't be considered an "oldie" yet.

Written By: nally on 05/04/13 at 11:56 am

I guess I could say after 1960.

Even so, that includes now.

Written By: Katluver on 05/04/13 at 12:01 pm

Even so, that includes now.

lol

Written By: 19brandon90 on 01/02/14 at 10:55 pm

Anything before 1990 in my opinion. I hear songs from the early '90s on the "throwback" and "old school" radio stations in my area though. The early '90s is getting pretty old now. 1990 was 24 years ago. 

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/03/14 at 3:57 am

It's still hard to me to consider music from the 80s which does not have this 'late disco flavor' oldies.
And music from most of the 90s still sounds modern - even though it's 20 years old.

90s music is not as 'old' today as 70s music was in the 90s. You could easily play this in clubs and young people will dance to it in 2014.

Written By: Howard on 01/03/14 at 8:20 am

Any music after 30-35 years ago.

Written By: Synthpop80s on 01/06/14 at 2:18 pm

The song "Everywhere" by Fleetwood Mac is enough for me to consider the 80s "oldies".

The 90s, I'm not sure.

The 00s are definitely modern though.

Written By: Jquar on 01/06/14 at 4:00 pm

Any pop chart from 2007 or before now looks pretty dated. Beyond that, I don't know how far back you have to go to cross over into old territory.  Music from the late 80s and early 90s, including grunge, sounds really old to most younger people.

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 01/07/14 at 7:35 am

I consider everything from The Beatles onward to be new music.  Even a little bit before that.  I'd say the dividing line is 1960.  My mindset was pretty much set in college when we might listen to things from the 70s, 60s and maybe a little bit of 50s in addition to the then-current stuff.  Anything before Elvis seemed genuinely old.

This is really ironic.  Back in secondary school, our teachers would tell us that we weren't listening to "real music".  To them, "real music" was Glenn Miller, Vera Lynn, The Andrews Sisters, Tommy Dorsey, Count Basie, Frank Sinatra, etc. (I'm not counting the snobs who turned their noses down at all popular music and listened exclusively to Beethoven, Hayden, Mozart, Brahms, Bach, etc.).  Some of the younger teachers who fancied themselves as hip and "with it" might say that Elvis was cool (we'd snicker behind their backs).  But actually, some of the stuff that our teachers thought was "real music" was actually newer at that time than what some of my favorites are today.  When I graduated from high school in 1984, "In The Mood" and "Moonlight Serenade", which back then sounded to us like they came from a different geological era, were 45 years old.  Today, the oldest Led Zeppelin album is about 45 years old.  Some of the oldest Beatles songs are more than 50 years old.  So, now I've become the old stick in the mud! :)

Written By: 1993 on 01/07/14 at 12:48 pm

When I was young in the 90's, oldies was 50's and some early 60's. Generally anything pre British Invasion.

I still see it this way.

In 1992 for instance, the Beatles burst on to the American scene "only" 28 years before. And were broken up for 22 years or so. As of today, 28 years ago is 1986. So I can kind of see how todays kid or early teen views the early 80's as oldies and 70's as forever ago.

Bill Haley rock around the clock. Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly. All that is oldies. To me the 50's are forever ago. But the post Beatles/Stones world I can never see as oldies.

Written By: warped on 01/07/14 at 2:36 pm

I still think the most accurate post made here is this one.

Makes sense why the young people here view more recent stuff as old, whereas old farts like me view anything before 1960s as old.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/07/14 at 2:47 pm

Makes sense why the young people here view more recent stuff as old, whereas old farts like me view anything before 1960s as old.

"Before you were born" is quite inaccurate if you ask me. Songs which have been recorded before someone was born can still be popular or considered "recent" when the individual is old enough to notice music. That's the reason why I associate a lot of 80s songs with my childhood, even though they are as old as I am or slightly older.

Written By: Howard on 01/07/14 at 3:50 pm

I still think the most accurate post made here is this one.

I think it's considered "vintage" or "retro"

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/07/14 at 9:22 pm

LOL at whoever voted for 1953 who still believes in juvenile delinquents. When the original oldies formats were created in the early '70s, they were all early rock-based and generally limited themselves up until 1967, since music from even 1966 sounded quite old back in the early '70s. As a rule of thumb, approximately every decade, the oldies format tended to gain about five years forward and three years in the back chipped off. Thus oldies stations today approximately end around 20 years later than they did when they first began, and start around 1966/67 when the sound became more modern, though the odd 1964 or 1965 song still makes an appearance, along with some 1988 (what I voted for)/89 songs. Unfortunately nowadays as the format tries to creep forward, it will encounter the hip hop/alternative era. Some early attempts had been made at having "oldies for Gen X/Y" with some limited success, but the share is lower when this generation would just use their portable devices and see radio as a thing of the past except for podcasts. They don't call older music "oldies", but rather "old school" or "flashback" or anything more contemporary.

So in a nutshell, 1988 or so for rock/soul based-music, and around 1997 or so for hip-hop/dance club-based music.

Check for new replies or respond here...