inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I need serious help. This is the only forum that can help me. Please reply...

Written By: waffleboy_92 on 06/03/13 at 12:05 pm

This forum is about nostalgia and pop culture over the years, and that's what my problem is about. I feel EXTREMELY bad that I'm a teenager of the late 00s/2010s. I believe that music had a certain emotion and feel good vibe that lasted from the 70's to the early 00's. Now I know what you're thinking, music went to **** in 2000, blah blah blah. But that's different than what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the seriousness and emotion in music. I know a lot of hit music over the years. I can give examples of what I mean. All the emotion went away when I became a teenager in 2005. I wish I could've listened to music when I was a little kid, but all I was doing was playing video games and watching cartoons. I think about this every day. I can't take this anymore. I need someone to help me on this forum. Why do so many people on YouTube say they remember music when they were a little kid in the late 90's/early 00's but I don't? It's driving me nuts! Help me please...

Subject: Re: I need serious help. This is the only forum that can help me. Please reply...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/03/13 at 12:28 pm

I really don't know what you are asking here. Are you asking why you don't remember music from your younger days? If that is the case, there isn't anyway that anyone on this board could answer that. Also, if that is the question you are trying to ask, my answer is why does that matter? What matters is how you feel about music NOW regardless of WHEN the music came out-the 1850s, the 1970s, 2000s, etc. etc.

Cat

Subject: Re: I need serious help. This is the only forum that can help me. Please reply...

Written By: waffleboy_92 on 06/03/13 at 12:38 pm

I know people can't answer why I didn't know about music, but why are other people able to remember it? Were they raised differently? Were they surrounded by cool kids in school? Because I was a nerd in school, maybe that was it. I went to a YouTube video of songs from when I was a kid in the early 00's, and people said they remembered it when they were younger than I was back then! And it makes me jealous. They got to experience the good times in music, and I didn't. And it's not just music. The Tv shows, video games, movies, etc. I never had a thought about how good things were when I was a child, and now I look back and wonder why I didn't take it for granted.

Written By: warped on 06/03/13 at 12:39 pm

I really don't know what you are asking here. Are you asking why you don't remember music from your younger days? If that is the case, there isn't anyway that anyone on this board could answer that. Also, if that is the question you are trying to ask, my answer is why does that matter? What matters is how you feel about music NOW regardless of WHEN the music came out-the 1850s, the 1970s, 2000s, etc. etc.

Cat

What Cat said, and it doesn't make any difference in the realm of things if you remember music from the late 90s or early 00s or not. Trust me, you are making a big deal over nothing. It's not worth your time getting upset over it.  You need to ask yourself why it's bothering you.  Maybe if you don't remember the music of that period, it might not have been important to you at the time. If this is still driving you nuts, then no one on these board can really help you with that.

Whatever music you like listening to now, just listen to it now. Whatever music you don't like, don't even worry about it, don't listen to it.

Hope things work out for you, man. As someone who is x2 your age, trust me, it's not something you should be worrying about.

Written By: waffleboy_92 on 06/03/13 at 12:48 pm

I can't remember what I was doing when 9/11 or the new millennium happened. I don't remember watching the 2004 presidential elections, but I do the 2008 and 2012 ones. I don't remember what a Walkman or MP3 player was. I don't remember having a thought about when DVDs became popular. I don't know who was the Snooki or Kim kardashian was at that time. I don't know what was the Dubstep/Gangnam Style of the time. I don't remember hating on N Sync or the Backstreet boys. I don't remember commercials about flip phones/brick phones. All I remember is watching stupid cartoons and all the kids movies from then. Do other people who were kids back then remembered it?

This is not a joke thread. I'm sitting at home crying about this, and I'm coming to the people of the Internet for help.

Written By: amjikloviet on 06/03/13 at 12:51 pm

Waffleboy, you shouldn't let something like that upset you. If people are/were fortunate enough to remember the better days of music then good for them, right! You said that all of the emotion in music went away in 2005, but I bet that in 10 or 20 years somebody will say how much better music was in 2005! And then maybe by then you will not feel so badly about it. I say just be happy with your own nostalgia, whether it is about music or something else.

Written By: waffleboy_92 on 06/03/13 at 1:08 pm

Is it normal for kids back then not to care about that stuff? Because I asked my little brother if his friends know about the more teen/adult pop culture topics of today, and he said they do. Was I sheltered as a kid? Why me? Is it because of memes and the social media sites that these things become popular with all ages? I remember seeing a funny chart that said in 2003 most people got their first phone when they were 18, but in 2013 they get it when they're 8. Is what we expose to children really changing? Or was it like that before, and I was just a sheltered child?

Written By: ninny on 06/03/13 at 1:20 pm

Maybe you don't remember because it didn't mean anything to you when you were a kid, maybe going outside and playing with your friends was more of an influence than music, heck my 4 year old grandson can't even remember he loved Twinkle Twinkle when he was 2 lots of people forget what they loved when they were younger.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/03/13 at 1:23 pm

Some people have better memories than others. I grew up in the '60s-the height of the Vietnam war and I don't remember the war at all. I don't even remember when RFK and MLK were assassinated in 1968.

I really wouldn't worry about it. Just enjoy music NOW!!!

Cat

Written By: meesa on 06/03/13 at 1:34 pm

It sounds like what you are saying is that it troubles you that you cannot remember pop culture 'events' of your childhood. Noone on this forum can tell you why you do not remember-I think it is probably as simple as the others have already told you: it did not catch your attention as a child. There are many things that I do not remember about being a 70s child and an 80s teen, and I am sure it is the same for every one of us.

Here is the thing: If you have possible memory loss or memory issues, you will need to see a professional to find out the why.

As to the what-you do not need to have the memories to enjoy the nostalgia, as you can start making memories now by discovering this information. Dig in to the music and the culture of the decades past, the internet is full of this information. Start there and you will find things that you like, and you will learn about the events of the past.

Written By: waffleboy_92 on 06/03/13 at 4:16 pm

I hate this. I'm gonna have to spend the rest of my life with the same level of pop culture awareness that I have now, and know that there was a certain time in my life where I wasn't aware. I'm going to know the equivalent of phenomenons such as dubstep or hipsters in 2020, and 2030, and 2040, but not in 1998 (when I was 6) to 2004. I'm going to remember complaining about the music today in the 2010's, but never thinking about it in 2000. I want to go back to my childhood with the same level of awareness I have now, but that's impossible. I can't cope with these thoughts everyday. I need serious help.

Written By: ninny on 06/03/13 at 7:49 pm

I hate this. I'm gonna have to spend the rest of my life with the same level of pop culture awareness that I have now, and know that there was a certain time in my life where I wasn't aware. I'm going to know the equivalent of phenomenons such as dubstep or hipsters in 2020, and 2030, and 2040, but not in 1998 (when I was 6) to 2004. I'm going to remember complaining about the music today in the 2010's, but never thinking about it in 2000. I want to go back to my childhood with the same level of awareness I have now, but that's impossible. I can't cope with these thoughts everyday. I need serious help.

Good God why do you let it bother you so much? I can't remember things in my childhood and most people remember songs that have special meanings or something special was happening then maybe that will trigger something otherwise go to Youtube and listen to the songs of the early 200's.

Written By: snozberries on 06/03/13 at 8:33 pm

Just like people like different foods, different movies, different colors etc people have different capacity for memory.

What do you remember from childhood? Anything good? If so embrace those memories and...instead of wallowing in something you will never be able to have why not be happy you found the songs now and embrace them today...

Also, age gives a different perspective.
I'm a TV addict. There are shows I remember fondly from childhood and shows I remember hating. Now, as an adult I look at some shows I loved and wonder what was wrong with me and some shows I hated and think I was nuts for judging them because they were much better than I understood

There are shows I probably saw that I have no recollection of seeing. Instead of whining about missing out on great memories I embrace the luck of stumbling on them now rather than never experiencing them at all. 

Written By: snozberries on 06/03/13 at 8:36 pm

I can't remember what I was doing when 9/11 or the new millennium happened. I don't remember watching the 2004 presidential elections, but I do the 2008 and 2012 ones. I don't remember what a Walkman or MP3 player was. I don't remember having a thought about when DVDs became popular. I don't know who was the Snooki or Kim kardashian was at that time. I don't know what was the Dubstep/Gangnam Style of the time. I don't remember hating on N Sync or the Backstreet boys. I don't remember commercials about flip phones/brick phones. All I remember is watching stupid cartoons and all the kids movies from then. Do other people who were kids back then remembered it?

This is not a joke thread. I'm sitting at home crying about this, and I'm coming to the people of the Internet for help.

Half this stuff is trivial. And I say be thankful you don't remember 9/11. It's something I wish I could forget.

Written By: snozberries on 06/03/13 at 8:42 pm

I can guarantee you this by 2030 you won't care about the significance if pop culture influence on anything

These feelings you are feeling share a commonality with a group of posters we call decadologists.  People who spend their days analyzing to the nth degree the importance of some random pop cultural event to so other random moment in pop culture. At 15-22 these things seem super important. By the time you hit 30 you really won't give a damn.  If you do still give a damn at 30 you will definitely be in need of help.

Written By: waffleboy_92 on 06/04/13 at 6:50 am

Hmmm maybe you guys are right. Instead of wondering why I didn't remember certain things, I should embrace the memories I do have. Some memories I have are watching the s out of Nick and Cartoon Network and Nick, playing the PS2 a lot, playing Pokemon a lot. I remember the song "All Star" played on the radio so much that it gave me a headache whenever I heard it, lol. I remember all the kids movies back then. So I do have memories, and maybe other don't have the same memories I do. Maybe I just have to accept that everyone's different..,

Written By: Howard on 06/04/13 at 7:19 am

Half this stuff is trivial. And I say be thankful you don't remember 9/11. It's something I wish I could forget.

I wish we could all forget 9/11, it still feels fresh in our minds like it was just yesterday.

Written By: snozberries on 06/04/13 at 10:16 am

Hmmm maybe you guys are right. Instead of wondering why I didn't remember certain things, I should embrace the memories I do have. Some memories I have are watching the s out of Nick and Cartoon Network and Nick, playing the PS2 a lot, playing Pokemon a lot. I remember the song "All Star" played on the radio so much that it gave me a headache whenever I heard it, lol. I remember all the kids movies back then. So I do have memories, and maybe other don't have the same memories I do. Maybe I just have to accept that everyone's different..,

everyone has different memories... i'm an only child but I know people who grew up in the same household who hold different memories...

hell, I was talking to my best friend from high school and she'd say to me Remember when we did this? Remember when we did that?    Nope... I don't remember either of those incidents.  You hold on to what's significant to you at the time...

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/04/13 at 11:33 am

As someone who remembers the time period in question all too well, I feel the need to chime in here.

In alot of ways I would say that you're actually lucky because I would argue that the "Y2K era" fads aimed more at kids (like Pokemon, Toonami, the japanese role playing game explosion and the continuing golden age of console video gaming) are actually the best parts of the whole time period. I was in junior high and high school at the time, so I can tell you first hand that alot of the music from back then, to be frank, actually kind of sucked. I mean, Limp Bizkit? Korn? Creed? 98 Degrees? The fact that someone as utterly talentless as Fred Durst was actually selling millions of albums back then (with me among the millions by the way :-[) really tells you everything you need to know.

As far as your memories, I can understand how that bothers you because when I was a little younger I used to feel similarly upset about not being able to remember the earlier part of the 90's as well as I can remember the later part. The truth is, what you do and don't remember at that age, and how well you remember it, is totally random. Much like you with 9/11, I was in elementary school when the Oklahoma City Bombing happened and I can only barely remember that. Same with the O.J. Simpson trial which I only have vague memories of. Hell, my grandmother can't remember the JFK assassination all that well and she was a married adult by that time.

Written By: ninny on 06/04/13 at 12:03 pm

Now see that's a start just embrace the memories you have right now and who knows maybe others may come naturally if you stop putting pressure on yourself.

Subject: READ THIS PLEASE

Written By: waffleboy_92 on 06/04/13 at 5:03 pm

Okay, so this is what happened. I went on YouTube asking the same question as I did on these forums, about why I couldn't remember music from when I was a little kid and other people could. And my comments got downvoted and a couple people told me to "Shut my lame a** up" and "Commit suicide you worthless f**k". I even said that I have a depression issue, and they don't seem to care. Why is this happening? Why do they treat people with problems like that? What am I supposed to do?

Written By: whistledog on 06/04/13 at 5:09 pm

Okay, so this is what happened. I went on YouTube asking the same question as I did on these forums, about why I couldn't remember music from when I was a little kid and other people could. And my comments got downvoted and a couple people told me to "Shut my lame a** up" and "Commit suicide you worthless f**k". I even said that I have a depression issue, and they don't seem to care. Why is this happening? Why do they treat people with problems like that? What am I supposed to do?

Not everyone can remember everything.  There are many songs that were popular when I was a kid that I don't remember.  Don't let it get you down.  So what if you don't remember it.  You can still enjoy the music now

Written By: waffleboy_92 on 06/04/13 at 5:12 pm

Not everyone can remember everything.  There are many songs that were popular when I was a kid that I don't remember.  Don't let it get you down.  So what if you don't remember it.  You can still enjoy the music now

Yeah but why were they treating me like that? Why were they treating a person with obvious depression issues like that?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/04/13 at 5:23 pm

Yeah but why were they treating me like that? Why were they treating a person with obvious depression issues like that?

Because the bridge dwelling trolls that pollute the YouTube comment section are among the worst that humanity has to offer. They care nothing for you or your issues, and, in fact, will do nothing but use them as fodder to get their ya ya's out. To civilized people such as you or I, it seems disgusting that any human would tell another to go kill themselves, but you must understand that these people are barely what you would call "civilized". Honestly, neanderthals had more tact. You would be well advised to ignore anything anyone on that trash bin says to you and recognize their opinions for what they truly are: beyond worthless.

Written By: whistledog on 06/04/13 at 5:27 pm

Because the bridge dwelling trolls that pollute the YouTube comment section are among the worst that humanity has to offer. They care nothing for you or your issues, and, in fact, will do nothing but use them as fodder to get their ya ya's out. To civilized people such as you or I, it seems disgusting that any human would tell another to go kill themselves, but you must understand that these people are barely what you would call "civilized". Honestly, neanderthals had more tact. You would be well advised to ignore anything anyone on that trash bin says to you and recognize their opinions for what they truly are: beyond worthless.

This 100% true.  Avoid YouTube comments like the plague, because serious responses are something you will never get there. 

Written By: waffleboy_92 on 06/04/13 at 5:34 pm

Is it okay to post the video that they said this in on this website?

I say that I'm crying at home, that I'm mentally breaking down, and they don't care, they probably think I'm being an annoying troll. They don't take me seriously at all.

Written By: whistledog on 06/04/13 at 5:38 pm

Is it okay to post the video that they said this in on this website?

I say that I'm crying at home, that I'm mentally breaking down, and they don't care, they probably think I'm being an annoying troll. They don't take me seriously at all.

If it's that big of an issue for you, perhaps the internet is not the best form of help in this situation.  It seems to be doing more hurt than good for you  :-\\

Written By: waffleboy_92 on 06/04/13 at 5:43 pm

No, but you guys have helped me. You all gave me intelligent answers to my question , and now I feel a little better. Yeah, I don't remember music, but I remember many other things that others probably didn't get the chance to know. So thanks guys, for helping me with my problem.

Written By: warped on 06/04/13 at 6:09 pm

If it's that big of an issue for you, perhaps the internet is not the best form of help in this situation.  It seems to be doing more hurt than good for you  :-\\

Agreed.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/04/13 at 6:11 pm

Waffleboy,

You are reaching out for help for your problems but I think you are reaching out in the wrong place. Like others have said, YouTube is NOT the place to reach out. Even Cheerios had to disengage the comments on one of their commercials this week. So if people are going to talk smack about a commercial, you can't expect help for yourself.

As for the people on this forum, there are a lot of good people here. I have found that most of the people on this forum want to help but sometimes the help that is needed is beyond anyone's capability here. You say you suffer from depression. There really isn't anything any of us can do to help with that. You need to see your doctor to get any real help. We can listen and offer advice but you also need to seek help from people with the expertise and skill that none of us have.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 06/04/13 at 8:26 pm

Do you want an honest answer or do you just want validation about how you feel?

Written By: waffleboy_92 on 06/05/13 at 7:23 am

Do you want an honest answer or do you just want validation about how you feel?

An honest answer, I guess...

Written By: ninny on 06/05/13 at 7:54 am

All I know is you shouldn't let something like this consume your whole life that you have gotten to the point of depression. It's not worth getting sick over this, you need to stop stressing on this subject.

Written By: waffleboy_92 on 06/05/13 at 8:11 am

All I know is you shouldn't let something like this consume your whole life that you have gotten to the point of depression. It's not worth getting sick over this, you need to stop stressing on this subject.

It's alright now. You guys have helped me and now I feel a bit better, thanks.

Written By: ninny on 06/05/13 at 11:23 am

It's good to know your feeling a little better.

Written By: snozberries on 06/05/13 at 2:04 pm

An honest answer, I guess...

I interpret this as you don't really want an honest answer. 

But since you posted this

Ill refrain from commenting further.

Good luck to you

Subject: Re: READ THIS PLEASE

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/06/13 at 9:57 pm

I went on YouTube asking the same question as I did on these forums,

And it went something like this, which is par for the course.

http://i.imgur.com/SMS5ra5.jpg

Everyone has a GIFT, and it's known as the online disinhibition effect.

Check for new replies or respond here...