inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Directors Cuts / Extended Cuts of movies

Written By: whistledog on 06/05/13 at 12:28 am

Have you ever been disappointed or happy with directors cuts or extended cuts of movies?  Or maybe even deleted scenes that should have been in the theatrical release?

Here's two cuts of movies that I was very disappointed with ...

Payback (1999) - The Directors Cut - In the theatrical version, Kris Kristofferson plays a crime boss named Bronson.  All his scenes are cut, and he is replaced by the voice of Sally Kellerman, a different crime boss only heard through a phone speaker.  This means several scenes are absent:  The kidnapping of Bronson's son, the booby trapped telephone and the end <SPOILER ALERT> when Porter drops a light and the gasoline trail causes the car to explode

A Good Day to Die Hard (2013) - Extended Cut - Mary Elizabeth Winstead reprises the role of Lucy McClane (a role she previously played in Live Free or Die Hard).  In the theatrical version, she was only in it briefly, but in this cut, all her scenes are absent

Here's one that should have been ...

Back to the Future (1985) - There is a deleted scene that shows how Marty broke into George's house (pretending to be Darth Vader) and even shows him chloroforming George so he can make his escape, which explains why in the theatrical release, George overslept and was not in school that day

Subject: Re: Directors Cuts / Extended Cuts of movies

Written By: Tashlovglit on 06/05/13 at 8:38 pm

If a Director's cut features several minutes of extra footage, not just 2 minutes  ::), then I sometimes I enjoy it.  Most deleted scenes are boring though and I can see why they were not included in the theatrical release.  If it's a film like Aliens, one of my favorites, then I actually prefer the Unrated version.  That ovcourse includes a lot more frightening and gory stuff  :P 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/06/13 at 12:30 am

If a Director's cut features several minutes of extra footage, not just 2 minutes  ::), then I sometimes I enjoy it.  Most deleted scenes are boring though and I can see why they were not included in the theatrical release.  If it's a film like Aliens, one of my favorites, then I actually prefer the Unrated version.  That ovcourse includes a lot more frightening and gory stuff  :P

When they released the "Boogie Nights" on DVD, the box boasted of Exclusive Deleted Scenes, so I was like, "Ooooh! This is gonna be HOT!"  Turned out to be stuff like, they're walking out of the studio and Little Bill says, "Hey, you guys wanna go get a drink?"
:-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/06/13 at 2:02 pm

2 movies come to mind.

1. Crimes of Passion-which starred Kathleen Turner. They had a rated version & unrated version. I would recommend the unrated version-it is so much more intense as the rated version is. (Yeah, they had to "clean it up" for cable/theatres). Also, the deleted scenes really dove deeper into the story. They had to cut a lot of it because the movie was getting TOO long.

2. 1776-I have had 3 different versions of this movie. The first one I recorded off of t.v.-complete with commercials. Yeah, they did the hatchet job on it so they could fit in all those commercials. The second version I recorded off of Showtime. Got rid of all those damned commercials and yes, it was the theatrical release. However, a lot of it was cut due to the length but also one of the songs was cut because the "Big Boss" requested it-"Big Boss" as in Richard Nixon. Yup, Tricky Dicky wanted Cool, Cool, Considerate Men cut because it hit too close to home for him. That scene was supposed to be destroyed but it wasn't. They also found a whole bunch of cut pieces-maybe a line here or a couple of lines there and when they put it on DVD they put ALL of it back in where it was supposed to be. There isn't a "deleted scenes" section-the movie is TOTALLY INTACT-including this scene that I'm sure Tricky Dicky is rolling over in his grave that they put it back in. The movie is now a 1/2 hour longer than the theatrical release.

I couldn't find the scene but here is the song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7K9k84R5ok

BTW, as I was looking for the above video, I discovered there were some things they left out of the extended version.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/10/21 at 7:34 am

Back in 1977 (1978 in the UK), Steven Spielberg released "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" and having been in a position to view this movie many a time, I had grown to like it. In 1990, Spielberg released the 'Director's Cut' adding scenes (more inside the mothership) and deleting much of the family based sequences. In my mind, he ruined it!

Check for new replies or respond here...