inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A reason why children are happier

Written By: mike on 06/12/13 at 5:01 am

It goes without saying that most children are way happier than adults. And once you grow up you lose that happiness. I've figured out it's not exactly then-current trends that we miss. We miss our innocence and our bubble. When I was 5 I was happy, yet I wasn't aware of what was going on.

I was happier until I started following politics and watching news (circa 9th grade). Before that I was living like most children - in my cute little bubble... and it was fantastic. Sure, I knew about 9/1, but that's a shocking, huge event, not your typical news. However, I didn't watch the news where all you learn is about negative things like rape, murders, etc. and the good things are celebrity gossip news. I didn't know the names of our ministers, government officials, etc., except the most popular ones like the prime minister and the president of my country.

One can never give up working or paying taxes, but we can chose whether to watch/read the news and follow current events. Don't you think that one of the reason why children are generally happier than adults is because they don't follow current events and politics like adults do? Some of them don't even follow celebrities (as a kid I only knew famous athletes and I didn't follow actors and singers).

Subject: Re: A reason why children are happier

Written By: Step-chan on 06/12/13 at 11:39 pm

I rarely ever follow current events or politics. I also think I'm part of the minority who doesn't give a crap about celebrities. Part of why would be due to my lack of interest in watching TV, a lot of it is just too "bleh" these days. I'm glad I have music and gaming as other entertainment outlets.

Would I say kids are happier than me? On average, yes. I work and keep a roof over my head, so I have things I have to make sure I keep up on. But it ain't due to any of the stuff on TV.

Written By: warped on 06/13/13 at 5:58 am

A child's job is to goof off all day and play around while everyone who is in charge to care for them does everything for them. A sheltered life & no responsibilities.

Once you become an adult, you have jobs, responsibilities, a spouse or better half, bills to pay...children. It's a different stage in life. You grow up. Sure ..for many "that cute little bubble" is a nice place to be. But do you rally want to be there your whole life? 
Life is an experience...what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. 

And I agree with Step-chan, the "happiness" thing isn't due to any of the stuff on TV...and I don't think "celebrity gossip" news is good stuff either. Most of it is trash.

Written By: Howard on 06/13/13 at 7:13 am

kids are happier cause they don't have many responsibilities as us adults have now like have a job, earn money & pay some bills and credit cards.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/16/13 at 5:32 pm

I absolutely loved my childhood and it ends when puberty starts, which for most people is somewhere between age 12-14. It's nice, before puberty you don't have the weight of adolescence on your shoulders and you don't have the responsibilities of someone over 21, or even 18 does.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/20/13 at 1:56 pm

It goes without saying that most children are way happier than adults. And once you grow up you lose that happiness. I've figured out it's not exactly then-current trends that we miss. We miss our innocence and our bubble. When I was 5 I was happy, yet I wasn't aware of what was going on.

I was happier until I started following politics and watching news (circa 9th grade). Before that I was living like most children - in my cute little bubble... and it was fantastic. Sure, I knew about 9/1, but that's a shocking, huge event, not your typical news. However, I didn't watch the news where all you learn is about negative things like rape, murders, etc. and the good things are celebrity gossip news. I didn't know the names of our ministers, government officials, etc., except the most popular ones like the prime minister and the president of my country.

One can never give up working or paying taxes, but we can chose whether to watch/read the news and follow current events. Don't you think that one of the reason why children are generally happier than adults is because they don't follow current events and politics like adults do? Some of them don't even follow celebrities (as a kid I only knew famous athletes and I didn't follow actors and singers).

I remember being rather upset when, as a child back in the early 1980's, I learned that somewhere in the Soviet Union there was (and probably still is) an intercontinental nuclear missile aimed at Lincoln, Nebraska.  :(

Written By: 80sfan on 06/20/13 at 7:13 pm

I remember being rather upset when, as a child back in the early 1980's, I learned that somewhere in the Soviet Union there was (and probably still is) an intercontinental nuclear missile aimed at Lincoln, Nebraska.  :(

Wow.  :o

Written By: Howard on 06/20/13 at 7:30 pm

They have PS3, iPods,cell phones and blackberries that's one reason they're happier.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/21/13 at 3:00 am

Don't they have a lot of nuclear missiles in Nebraska making it a target?  That would scare the crap out of anyone.  I remember growing up we would have drills at school, in case of nuclear blast "duck and cover".  They said as long as we got under our desks we would be fine.  If we were outside just jump into a doorway and we wouldn't get hurt.  Yup...that's what they told us.

Written By: Howard on 06/21/13 at 6:36 am

Facebook, Twitter,Instagram and Myspace is another reason they're happier.

Written By: aja675 on 11/27/13 at 3:33 am

Ugh childhood, I don't give a shush, no one else can have you, I want you back, I want you, want you back.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_me62yrc7hN1qhj7tyo1_500.gif

(Sorry for the bump, I'm just so angsty).

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/27/13 at 12:08 pm

Don't they have a lot of nuclear missiles in Nebraska making it a target?  That would scare the crap out of anyone.  I remember growing up we would have drills at school, in case of nuclear blast "duck and cover".  They said as long as we got under our desks we would be fine.  If we were outside just jump into a doorway and we wouldn't get hurt.  Yup...that's what they told us.

Omaha has always had a huge bullseye on it, since it was the HQ for Strategic Air Command and later STRATCOM. All the ICBM installations are in the more sparsely populated western part of the state, as well as in Wyoming and North and South Dakota.

The thing is, though, is that while the "duck and cover" drills and air raid sirens may seem rather archaic and obsolete, they have also proven to be invaluable to those of us living in Tornado Alley. When I was a kid in the 70's and 80's, we had one or two "tornado drills" each year, and in hindsight, the procedures were not unlike the "duck and cover" drills. And, unlike "duck and cover," there were a few times when tornado warnings were issued while we were at school and we had to follow the procedures. For all we knew the tornado could be a mile away or 20 miles away, but they took no chances and although my town never got hit it was still quite scary.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 11/27/13 at 1:43 pm

I was never a happy child.  :( My parents gave me a good reason to never be happy with life as child.  :(

Written By: Redhairkid on 11/27/13 at 2:59 pm

As you guys rightly say, children don't have as much responsibility and consequently are happier.

Also not as much is expected of children as of adults and they can get away with more simply because they are too young to 'know better'.

Children don't have to worry where the next meal is coming from, they trust their parents will have the means to provide it (and things like that), they don't really realise how difficult life can be or how evil the world really is.

Written By: Howard on 11/27/13 at 8:11 pm

I was never a happy child.  :( My parents gave me a good reason to never be happy with life as child.  :(

Why weren't you happy? ???

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 11/27/13 at 8:50 pm

Why weren't you happy? ???

Well, I lost someone who was close to me when I was 6 years old, I was sent away with my brother after the family tragedy, and my parents split up after.  :( My dad was always drunk and screaming at my mom.  So there was really no reason for me to be happy.
Instead of being a child I was looking after things which I became very good at.

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/27/13 at 10:06 pm

Three minutes of required viewing for Boomers, Xers, and Millennials alike:

M4IjTUxZORE
  - Millennials: We Suck and We're Sorry

Written By: 80sfan on 11/28/13 at 12:15 am

M4IjTUxZORE

Millenials or Generation Y are born circa 1980 to 1996, are no worse, but unfortunately no better, than previous generations. I think had the Baby boomers or Gen X had the technology we had now, they'd be similar. All this is just my opinion though.

Written By: Howard on 11/28/13 at 8:25 am

Well, I lost someone who was close to me when I was 6 years old, I was sent away with my brother after the family tragedy, and my parents split up after.  :( My dad was always drunk and screaming at my mom.  So there was really no reason for me to be happy.
Instead of being a child I was looking after things which I became very good at.

sorry that happened to you.  :(

Written By: Howard on 11/28/13 at 8:28 am

enjoyable video.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 11/28/13 at 11:35 am

sorry that happened to you.  :(

Thanks! If I could upload some of my old school photos you'd see how unhappy I was. 

Written By: Howard on 11/28/13 at 7:40 pm

cause the PS4 is out?

Written By: Katluver on 11/30/13 at 4:57 pm

When I was a kid, I had all the time in the world and don't recall having any real worries. Few responsibilities, spending summers running around the backyard in my bare feet, not having any financial or health-related worries, no fear of the aging process...Being sent to my room was like the end of the world for me back then.  :\'(  (wish that was my biggest problem right now!) Yet ever since the age of 8, I seem to increasingly care about what people think about me. Sometimes, I try to go back to having a child's mentality, yet somehow I can't seem to master that skill...

Check for new replies or respond here...