inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Where's the love for classic Cartoon Network?

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/16/13 at 9:11 pm

I see way too much nostalgia for classic Nickelodeon and not enough for classic Cartoon Network. I liked both channels as a kid, but I preferred Cartoon Network and watched it much more often.

Subject: Re: Where's the love for classic Cartoon Network?

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 07/16/13 at 10:13 pm

It could be that Cartoon Network didn't enjoy as wide of an audience. I mean I'm sure it comes down to whoever your cable provider was, but back in the '90s my family's cable package only included Nick. You had to have a more extended package to get Cartoon Network. I didn't get it Cartoon Network until I was about 11, but I do have fond memories of watching Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, Ed, Edd, & Eddy, Powerpuff Girls, and Courage the Cowardly Dog, to name a few.

However, I happen to think Nick had superior shows anyway,

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/17/13 at 4:39 am

It could be that Cartoon Network didn't enjoy as wide of an audience. I mean I'm sure it comes down to whoever your cable provider was, but back in the '90s my family's cable package only included Nick. You had to have a more extended package to get Cartoon Network. I didn't get it Cartoon Network until I was about 11, but I do have fond memories of watching Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, Ed, Edd, & Eddy, Powerpuff Girls, and Courage the Cowardly Dog, to name a few.

However, I happen to think Nick had superior shows anyway,

I remember bugging my parents all the time when I was little to get cable, because then I could watch Cartoon Network at my own house instead of having to watch it at my grandma's house all the time.

My favorite Nickelodeon show from when I was little was Rugrats. I think that's the main reason I watched Nick in the first place.  :D

Cartoon Network just has more nostalgic value for me.

Written By: Inertia on 07/17/13 at 6:05 am

I loved both, but I watched many different kinds of shows.

Written By: Howard on 07/17/13 at 7:37 am

I used to watch Cartoon Network from when it first debuted but now for me, it's rare.

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/17/13 at 8:52 am

I used to watch Cartoon Network from when it first debuted but now for me, it's rare.

Same here. I only watch it whenever Looney Tunes and some of its classic shows (such as Dexter's Laboratory) are on.

Written By: Starde on 07/17/13 at 11:00 pm

I miss classic Cartoon Network. Remember these?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCfiUndDjAI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_AsbqZvtlM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHovOyK8hac

If I had to rank the top channels I watched constantly as a kid it'd probably be:

1. Cartoon Network/Nickelodeon
3. PBS
4. Disney Channel
5. Kids WB

Honorary Mention: ABC's One Saturday Morning

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/18/13 at 2:20 am

^ Totally! I especially have fond memories of its "Powerhouse" bumpers (c. 1997-2004).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdzkOjZ7T6k

Written By: Howard on 07/18/13 at 7:15 am

If I had to rank the top channels I watched constantly as a kid it'd probably be:

3. PBS
4. Disney Channel
5. Kids WB

I definitely remember those.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/21/13 at 5:43 pm

I see way too much nostalgia for classic Nickelodeon and not enough for classic Cartoon Network. I liked both channels as a kid, but I preferred Cartoon Network and watched it much more often.

For me, Cartoon Network played second fiddle to Nickelodeon for much of my childhood. We didn't even get it on our cable package until 1997, at which point I was already firmly entrenched as a fan with Nick and it's core shows (like Rugrats, Ren & Stimpy, Rocko, Pete & Pete, and the like).

That all changed when I watched Toonami for the first time though. As a kid who's idea of an "action cartoon" was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, shows like Dragonball Z, Gundam Wing, Outlaw Star, Tenchi, and Big O completely blew my mind the first time I saw them. Once I started getting more into CN's original shows as well, I actually went through a period at the very end of 90's where I watched CN almost exclusively over Nick.

Written By: Ta'Quan on 08/07/13 at 2:09 am

3. PBS
4. Disney Channel
5. Kids WB

Written By: Ta'Quan on 08/07/13 at 2:28 am

Oops, I meant to say this: Oh my God!!! Yes! I remembered all of this! Especially Cartoon Network Theater! Every time I think about CN Theater, I be wanting to cry!! The memories are just too overwhelmingly sweet! I miss those days like crazy!  :\'( I also remember those Toon Xtras that often always used to came on after a movie from off of CN Theater ended, anyone remembers those? It used to play like a couple of random cartoon episodes such as Mike, Lu, & Og, Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Lab, an Acme/Looney Tunes episode, etc. And it also involved a newspaper delivery truck too.

Until 1999 I believe, CN played second fiddle in my childhood to Nickelodeon as well. Shows like Hey Arnold, CatDog, Cousin Skeeter, The Wild Thornberrys, Rugrats, Kenan & Kel, The Amanda Show (Sigh, Amanda WTF happened to you?), Rocky, Angry Beavers, Little Monsters, etc. held me down while Cartoon Network was still in the early stages of its late '90s renaissance. I think I started watching Toonami around 1998 (I was 6 back then, too young to watch some of the more gritty and suggestive American/Anime shows on there  ;) LOL) and if it wasn't for Toonami and KidsWB and Fox Kids/Fox Box, I probably would never had paid anime any mind. My childhood was an awesome one  :) No regrets!

Oh, and another honorary mention ought to be UPN Kids (I loved Jumanji: The Animated Series)  ;) I had UPN20 back in those days. The '90s were truly a renaissance in American, Canadian, and Japanese animation.

Written By: Mat1991 on 08/09/13 at 5:36 pm

Oops, I meant to say this: Oh my God!!! Yes! I remembered all of this! Especially Cartoon Network Theater! Every time I think about CN Theater, I be wanting to cry!! The memories are just too overwhelmingly sweet! I miss those days like crazy!  :\'( I also remember those Toon Xtras that often always used to came on after a movie from off of CN Theater ended, anyone remembers those? It used to play like a couple of random cartoon episodes such as Mike, Lu, & Og, Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Lab, an Acme/Looney Tunes episode, etc. And it also involved a newspaper delivery truck too.

I totally know what you're talking about. I miss CN's fun little animated bumpers and station id's.

I remember, during the same year that I started junior high (2004), CN changed its image into a CGI/animated hybrid, coinciding with CGI's gradual takeover of 2D animation around the mid 2000s. If I remember correctly, that was also the time I watched CN less. It wasn't because I disliked it, but just because I had grown out of it, and it wasn't the same CN as the one I'd grown up with.

Nowadays, CN has this quirky electronic/indie look to it. Its current mode of humor seems to be based on randomness, which is currently a popular form of entertainment. Also, they air live-action shows now, which I guess is a result of their wanting to take risks and move into unfamiliar territory (they're called Cartoon Network, so surely they specialize in animated programming, right?  ::)). They also seemed to have jumped the nostalgia bandwagon, because they've recently begun to re-air some of their classic shows either on their own channel or on Boomerang (Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Laboratory, Powerpuff Girls, etc).

Written By: XYkid on 08/09/13 at 6:13 pm

3. PBS
4. Disney Channel
5. Kids WB

I loved PBS as a kid. My family didn't have cable until 2003, so the majority of the cartoons I watched were on PBS or on ABC Kids Saturday Morning.
I liked Disney Channel the best, and I enjoyed CN and Nick too, but CN also had a lot of shows that made me feel like I was loosing brain cells just by watching.
Is it just me, or do a lot of the classic Cartoon Network shows like Johnny Bravo and Powerpuff Girls have a very retro-futuristic feel to them? Their animation looks like it came straight out of the 60s.

Written By: Mat1991 on 08/09/13 at 7:43 pm

Is it just me, or do a lot of the classic Cartoon Network shows like Johnny Bravo and Powerpuff Girls have a very retro-futuristic feel to them? Their animation looks like it came straight out of the 60s.

Quite possibly. The same studio that produced those shows (Hanna-Barbera) also produced classic '60s shows such as The Flintstones and Scooby-Doo.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/24/16 at 9:56 am

What? You can find tones of YouTube uploads catering to the classic Cartoon Network. I barely can run into love for Nick as of now aside from Rugrats. Nick was never for me since the shows felt too obscure. A matter of fact, I ran into a Nick upload, "Old Nick shows, can you name some?" That made me realize classic Nick shows do seem/feel forgotten. I love how Cartoon Network shows automatically felt established and fresh.

Written By: yelimsexa on 05/24/16 at 1:00 pm

What? You can find tones of YouTube uploads catering to the classic Cartoon Network. I barely can run into love for Nick as of now aside from Rugrats. Nick was never for me since the shows felt too obscure. A matter of fact, I ran into a Nick upload, "Old Nick shows, can you name some?" That made me realize classic Nick shows do seem/feel forgotten. I love how Cartoon Network shows automatically felt established and fresh.

Nickelodeon still has plenty of nostalgic love with The Splaat and if the classic isn't yet on DVD, many of their other shows are around in some form or another, even more obscure ones like Weinerville, Make The Grade, and Alex Mack. This question was asked a couple years ago, and I've definitely noticed an increase in classic CN. I kind of equate certain eras of CN to Nick eras as well.

1980's Nick= 1992-1996 CN (the channels mostly rely on some archival programming along with a few scattered an imports, with originals eventually coming out.
1990-1993 Nick= 1997-2000 CN (the first half of their golden ages and the channel becomes must-see TV for kids).
1994-1997 Nick= 2000-2004 CN (the later part of their golden ages and by now, the brands are a commodity and some of their purists feel that they've sold out, yet the programming as as strong as ever)
1998-2000 Nick= 2005-2007 CN (waning phases for these channels as their quality starts to drag and focus too much on their hottest properties)
2001+ Nick= 2008+ CN (these are the non-classic phases for each of these channels, although arguably early 2000's Nick is increasingly being seen as a "Silver Age", though people like myself raised on their golden age just don't care, mostly due to growing up). Both networks added specialty channels for those who wanted the older content (Nick 2/GAS/Noggin/Boomerang)

Naturally, CN's nostalgia got a later start since the channel didn't get popular until the mid-late '90s, compared to the late '80s/early '90s for Nick. The gap has certainly closed though in the past few years like I've mentioned, though.

Written By: TheKid99 on 05/24/16 at 1:28 pm

What about Boomerang, CNs sister network? They had a great network from 2001-2012 and after that it has just gone significantly downhill, ESPECIALLY the new rebrand from last year that just butchered the channels appeal and programming....  :-\\ :\'( >:(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/24/16 at 1:40 pm

Nickelodeon still has plenty of nostalgic love with The Splaat and if the classic isn't yet on DVD, many of their other shows are around in some form or another, even more obscure ones like Weinerville, Make The Grade, and Alex Mack. This question was asked a couple years ago, and I've definitely noticed an increase in classic CN. I kind of equate certain eras of CN to Nick eras as well.

1980's Nick= 1992-1996 CN (the channels mostly rely on some archival programming along with a few scattered an imports, with originals eventually coming out.
1990-1993 Nick= 1997-2000 CN (the first half of their golden ages and the channel becomes must-see TV for kids).
1994-1997 Nick= 2000-2004 CN (the later part of their golden ages and by now, the brands are a commodity and some of their purists feel that they've sold out, yet the programming as as strong as ever)
1998-2000 Nick= 2005-2007 CN (waning phases for these channels as their quality starts to drag and focus too much on their hottest properties)
2001+ Nick= 2008+ CN (these are the non-classic phases for each of these channels, although arguably early 2000's Nick is increasingly being seen as a "Silver Age", though people like myself raised on their golden age just don't care, mostly due to growing up). Both networks added specialty channels for those who wanted the older content (Nick 2/GAS/Noggin/Boomerang)

Naturally, CN's nostalgia got a later start since the channel didn't get popular until the mid-late '90s, compared to the late '80s/early '90s for Nick. The gap has certainly closed though in the past few years like I've mentioned, though.

I know that you haven't watched Nickelodeon in a long time, but I don't think early 2000s Nick is like current Cartoon Network. Especially when Nick has been the same since 2009, not 2001.

Subject: Re: Where's the love for classic Cartoon Network

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/24/16 at 1:52 pm

What about Boomerang, CNs sister network? They had a great network from 2001-2012 and after that it has just gone significantly downhill, ESPECIALLY the new rebrand from last year that just butchered the channels appeal and programming....  :-\\ :\'( >:(

Well, there were a few shows that kept airing after Boomerang's rebrand. But it was pretty bad for their diverse set of shows, since there wasn't a good set of shows after that.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/24/16 at 3:10 pm

There is love for now considering how iconic it was. It had everything to offer and wasn't actually trying to compete with the other channels. I like how Powerhouse CN had shows that were weird, unique and crazy and they weren't dumbed down to appeal to kids (although we watched them) at all.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/24/16 at 4:10 pm

To answer OP's question, I'm pretty sure there's a lot of love for classic Cartoon Network. According to late 80s and early-mid 90s babies. As somebody who grew up after the Powerhouse era ended, I really don't know why it seemed so special to everybody. I thought the City Era was alright, but not as memorable as mid 2000s Disney Channel and Nickelodeon to me.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/24/16 at 4:25 pm

Boomerang was originally a sister channel for classic Hanna-Barbera and Cartoon Network reruns. So not everybody had it during its prime, however, I agree that it's a shame what happened to the network last year. It's basically an ad supported network now with modern shows based off popular classic cartoon franchises. While the rebrand occurred in January 2015, the major schedule change that happened back in June 2014 when they removed all of the blocks and a lot of classic programming was the final nail in the coffin for the channel. 2013 & 2014 were huge decline years for Boomerang, even before the rebrand happened at the beginning of last year.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/24/16 at 4:28 pm

Especially with what I have in bold. This is the most accurate description right here. Especially when it comes to the FULL years for the channels' golden and silver ages.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/24/16 at 5:17 pm

Especially with what I have in bold. This is the most accurate description right here. Especially when it comes to the FULL years for the channels' golden and silver ages.

Nickelodeon was still genuine until 2004. After that, it went through a bronze age and didn't went extremely bad until they jumped the shark in 2008/2009. 2008 being when Avatar ended, and 2009 when they changed their iconic logo. So, I don't see how 2001-2004 Nick seemed as bad as 2008-2010 Cartoon Network. For many things, early 2000s Nick is praised by lots of Nick fans. It could be true because that's when Nickelodeon still had their classic Klasky Csupo shows. But after 2004, when they ended most of their Klasky Cuspo shows except for All Grown Up and As Told By Ginger (despite having production ended in 2004), nobody except for mid-late 2000s kids seem to care about watching the channel anymore. Unless there was a new episode of Avatar: TLAB in 2005-2008.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/24/16 at 5:21 pm

Nickelodeon was still genuine until 2004. After that, it went through a bronze age and didn't went extremely bad until they jumped the shark in 2008/2009. 2008 being when Avatar ended, and 2009 when they changed their iconic logo. So, I don't see how 2001-2004 Nick seemed as bad as 2008-2010 Cartoon Network. For many things, early 2000s Nick is praised by lots of Nick fans. It could be true because that's when Nickelodeon still had their classic Klasky Csupo shows. But after 2004, when they ended most of their Klasky Cuspo shows except for All Grown Up and As Told By Ginger (despite having production ended in 2004), nobody except for mid-late 2000s kids seem to care about watching the channel anymore. Unless there was a new episode of Avatar: TLAB in 2005-2008.

True dat! Also, Nick was still watched for their tween/teen sitcoms.(Ned, Drake and Josh, Zoey etc.)

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/24/16 at 5:27 pm

To answer OP's question, I'm pretty sure there's a lot of love for classic Cartoon Network. According to late 80s and early-mid 90s babies. As somebody who grew up after the Powerhouse era ended, I really don't know why it seemed so special to everybody. I thought the City Era was alright, but not as memorable as mid 2000s Disney Channel and Nickelodeon to me.

It was special to us, because the shows, the presentation, promos, and overall style was INCREDIBLE for that time. It was very contemporary, and was the alternative to something like Nick or Kids WB. You had your wacky regular programming, with reruns of classic cartoons, and evenings being treated to the most badass action block in kids network history toonami, then later on you had Adult Swim (which started out as a block before it became it's own thing) to end the night. It was just such as interesting and such a fun time to be a fan of the programming. :)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/24/16 at 6:53 pm

True dat! Also, Nick was still watched for their tween/teen sitcoms.(Ned, Drake and Josh, Zoey etc.)

That also. They were still cool until Nick rebranded in late 2009, but all of the tween sitcoms you mentioned ended before the rebrand. So I think Nick was going through a mediocre change in late 2008 to mid 2009, where they only had their iconic logo standing there as a good thing. But as a kid going with that rebrand, I didn't really care until the rebrand actually happened.

It was special to us, because the shows, the presentation, promos, and overall style was INCREDIBLE for that time. It was very contemporary, and was the alternative to something like Nick or Kids WB. You had your wacky regular programming, with reruns of classic cartoons, and evenings being treated to the most badass action block in kids network history toonami, then later on you had Adult Swim (which started out as a block before it became it's own thing) to end the night. It was just such as interesting and such a fun time to be a fan of the programming. :)

But didn't the City Era also had cool shows, a cool presentation, cool promos, and incredible overall style to most CN fans? Hell, the City Era seems so much better than the Powerhouse era in my opinion. Not because of the programming (okay maybe that), but because the promos were awesome. Especially when they still had Fridays, but not in the same way as Powerhouse's Fridays.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/24/16 at 7:24 pm

But didn't the City Era also had cool shows, a cool presentation, cool promos, and incredible overall style to most CN fans? Hell, the City Era seems so much better than the Powerhouse era in my opinion. Not because of the programming (okay maybe that), but because the promos were awesome. Especially when they still had Fridays, but not in the same way as Powerhouse's Fridays.

I thought the first half(2004-2005 season) did.... but the second half(2005-2006 season) was when the decline started for me that was when more annoying, childish shows like Robot Boy, Gym partner, Lazlo, started premiering. Summer of 2005 was the last great thing the network did imo.

The first half in particular had a pretty cool presentation, and the promos were good. But the programming was NOT as good as before.
I actually did enjoy Atomic Betty, Ami Yumi, Juniper Lee, and really liked Fosters and Code Lyoko, but they were nothin; compared to Dexter, Johnny Bravo, Time squad, Courage, PPG, classic Ed Edd n eddy.
Even Toonami wasn't as good as before, the anime programming declined severely, in favor of the american action shows.
Overall the city era, mainly the first half was good, but it was nothin like the classic Cartoon Network.

Also the only reason you think the City era is better because that was the first era you were truly old enough to appreciate.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/24/16 at 7:28 pm

I thought the first half(2004-2005 season) did.... but the second half(2005-2006 season) was when the decline started for me that was when more annoying, childish shows like Robot Boy, Gym partner, Lazlo, started premiering.

The first half in particular had a pretty cool presentation, and the promos were good. But the programming was NOT as good as before.
I actually did enjoy Atomic Betty, Ami Yumi, Juniper Lee, and really liked Fosters and Code Lyoko, but they were nothin; compared to Dexter, Johnny Bravo, Time squad, Courage, PPG, classic Ed Edd n eddy.
Even Toonami wasn't as good as before, the anime programming declined severely, in favor of the american action shows.
Overall the city era, mainly the first half was good, but it was nothin like the classic Cartoon Network.

Also the only reason you think the City era is better because that was the first era you were truly old enough to appreciate.

Well yeah, but I didn't seem to have a particular interest towards Cartoon Network. Even in 2005, I was more into PBS Kids, Nickelodeon, Disney Channel, and Discovery Kids at the time. I just thought it had a more recognizable schedule than what Cartoon Network had, since I barely watched the original CN shows in 2005-mid 2006.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/24/16 at 7:42 pm

I thought the City Era was alright, but not as memorable as mid 2000s Disney Channel and Nickelodeon to me.

haha!! There needs to be a debate on Cn city era vs Nickeloden's Bronze age(Teen Nick ers)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/24/16 at 8:18 pm

haha!! There needs to be a debate on Cn city era vs Nickeloden's Bronze age(Teen Nick ers)

I think I should start that. Both of those networks were still interesting during those eras, especially when they had some cool aspects.

Written By: 2001 on 05/24/16 at 8:32 pm

I really liked Cartoon Network in the late 90s whenever I vacationed in the US, Europe and Asia. It made me wish we had it here in Canada. We've had it now since 2010 or so, and I enjoy it whenever I get a chance to watch it, even if it's not "classic" anymore.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/24/16 at 8:50 pm

I really liked Cartoon Network in the late 90s whenever I vacationed in the US, Europe and Asia. It made me wish we had it here in Canada. We've had it now since 2010 or so, and I enjoy it whenever I get a chance to watch it, even if it's not "classic" anymore.

At least you had Teletoon, which aired a chunk of Cartoon Network shows at the time.

Written By: 2001 on 05/24/16 at 9:02 pm

At least you had Teletoon, which aired a chunk of Cartoon Network shows at the time.

True. I'm more of a YTV kid though, as are most people here ;D It was like Nickolodean with anime and Canadian sitcoms.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/24/16 at 10:13 pm

I completely agree with you on this. Toonami didn't decline to me during the CN City era, it felt the same as the Powerhouse age to me (even though it was not), but as great as the CN City era still was in terms of variety, the BIGGEST weakness with that era was the huge decline in its original programming. You talk to casual watchers of CN, the first thing that comes to mind is "original programming", not acquired shows or imported from other country shows. Cartoon Cartoons like Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, PPG, Ed Edd n Eddy, Cow & Chicken, or Courage the Cowardly Dog have became very memorable years later. After Regular Show, Adventure Time, Steven Universe, Clarence, or Amazing World of Gumball ends, those will be talked about by the kids of today years later, especially the first 2 shows I listed since those cartoons appeal to all audiences. Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends was a great hit series which won many emmy awards, while Ben 10 ended up being a franchise with tons of merchandise. But the rest of the original shows that premiered throughout CN City either didn't do as well or were very mediocre. Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi, Life & Times of Juniper Lee, or even My Gym Partner's A Monkey to some may have been good, but those are forgettable shows that won't ever be "classic" or memorable by people years later. This is the main reason why the CN City era got a lot of hate by people who fully grew up in the late 90's and/or early 2000's, and after 2004 or 2005 every year of CN kept getting worse and worse until 2010. CN City era, lots of variety, but huge decline in original programming. CN CHECK it era, high quality original programming, but severe lack in variety makes it so dry and boring. But the POWERHOUSE age, had tons of variety AND high quality original programming.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/25/16 at 3:46 pm

I completely agree with you on this. Toonami didn't decline to me during the CN City era, it felt the same as the Powerhouse age to me (even though it was not), but as great as the CN City era still was in terms of variety, the BIGGEST weakness with that era was the huge decline in its original programming. You talk to casual watchers of CN, the first thing that comes to mind is "original programming", not acquired shows or imported from other country shows. Cartoon Cartoons like Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, PPG, Ed Edd n Eddy, Cow & Chicken, or Courage the Cowardly Dog have became very memorable years later. After Regular Show, Adventure Time, Steven Universe, Clarence, or Amazing World of Gumball ends, those will be talked about by the kids of today years later, especially the first 2 shows I listed since those cartoons appeal to all audiences. Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends was a great hit series which won many emmy awards, while Ben 10 ended up being a franchise with tons of merchandise. But the rest of the original shows that premiered throughout CN City either didn't do as well or were very mediocre. Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi, Life & Times of Juniper Lee, or even My Gym Partner's A Monkey to some may have been good, but those are forgettable shows that won't ever be "classic" or memorable by people years later. This is the main reason why the CN City era got a lot of hate by people who fully grew up in the late 90's and/or early 2000's, and after 2004 or 2005 every year of CN kept getting worse and worse until 2010. CN City era, lots of variety, but huge decline in original programming. CN CHECK it era, high quality original programming, but severe lack in variety makes it so dry and boring. But the POWERHOUSE age, had tons of variety AND high quality original programming.

Along with having the classic Cartoon Cartoon Fridays (not including CN City's Fridays, which weren't that memorable to most people), having 24 hour programming with no Adult Swim airings until late 2001, but didn't fully took over Cartoon Network until early 2007 when the Fridays block ended.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/25/16 at 3:53 pm

Along with having the classic Cartoon Cartoon Fridays (not including CN City's Fridays, which weren't that memorable to most people), having 24 hour programming with no Adult Swim airings until late 2001, but didn't fully took over Cartoon Network until early 2007 when the Fridays block ended.

The history of slowly taking over Cartoon Network from late 2001 up until 2007 is complicated. I'll explain it later but not right now. It was a slow process, and today the channel always comes on at 8pm E.T. each night. Which is way too early especially on Friday nights and weekends when kids are still going to be up watching kid shows all day. New episodes/world premieres during the primetime hours (7pm-11pm) was a huge thing for kids back in the early to mid 2000's.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/25/16 at 3:59 pm

The history of slowly taking over Cartoon Network from late 2001 up until 2007 is complicated. I'll explain it later but not right now. It was a slow process, and today the channel always comes on at 8pm E.T. each night. Which is way too early especially on Friday nights and weekends when kids are still going to be up watching kid shows all day. New episodes/world premieres during the primetime hours (7pm-11pm) was a huge thing for kids back in the early to mid 2000's.

Yeah, they always seemed to be special to me. Even if I did went to bed around 8 or 9pm back in the mid 2000s, they seemed to be way cooler than what world premieres have now. There were times like that when being a kid was the best.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/25/16 at 4:01 pm

Its even more serious when Cartoon Network limited their schedule even more from 8pm to 7pm. Their trying to hard to be like Nick.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/25/16 at 4:08 pm

Its even more serious when Cartoon Network limited their schedule even more from 8pm to 7pm. Their trying to hard to be like Nick.

Nick @ Nite and Adult Swim shouldn't do that, if a lot of kids are still awake at 7pm.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/25/16 at 4:32 pm

I think Cartoon Network back in 2003 set up 's schedule the best out of all the years. Sun-Thur it would start at 11:00pm E.T. then Friday & Saturday nights Cartoon Network would be 24 hours due to CCF and SVES blocks running all night long, the nights kids don't have school the next day. The lineups were setup so perfectly throughout that year.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/28/16 at 8:36 pm

I think Cartoon Network back in 2003 set up 's schedule the best out of all the years. Sun-Thur it would start at 11:00pm E.T. then Friday & Saturday nights Cartoon Network would be 24 hours due to CCF and SVES blocks running all night long, the nights kids don't have school the next day. The lineups were setup so perfectly throughout that year.

Cartoon Network in the Early 2000s did everything right, man. But, yeah. 03 is most likely my for year of Cartoon Network.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/01/16 at 7:04 pm

Cartoon Network in the Early 2000s did everything right, man. But, yeah. 03 is most likely my for year of Cartoon Network.

It's amazing how I remember all of these promos & commercials like yesterday!  8)

wBYEqSTlBrI

Written By: humaeast on 06/03/16 at 3:44 pm

TOM. That guy was sexy

Written By: Zelek2 on 06/19/16 at 10:11 am

TOM. That guy was sexy

Err... I don't understand how one can find a robot who doesn't really even look human attractive. :P

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/19/16 at 10:24 am

Err... I don't understand how one can find a robot who doesn't really even look human attractive. :P

I don't know either. It's probably because humaneast likes making up random posts.

Written By: humaeast on 09/12/16 at 10:45 am

TOM's abs and voice... gyaaah  :-*

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/21/16 at 3:13 pm

When it comes to CN, I'd have to agree with ZeldaFan and mqg96

1992-1996 were the rising, building years of CN.

1997-2005 were the "salad years" of CN, everything felt "in-sync". Toonami, Cartoon cartoons, and Adult Swim prime.

2006 was tolerable but not as good.

2007-2009 was the dark age, bunch of bad stuff happened, such as Fridays getting replaced by Fried Dynamite, TOM 3 on Toonami getting replaced by the crap TOM 4, and the CN Real block.

2007 is decent, but it wasn't as bad as 2008 and 2009, programming wise. Despite being more of a Disney and Nick fan, I never really see why people loved Cartoon Network so much. Adult Swim was the sh*t during the late 2000s, but I would rather watch Nick @ Nite at the time.

Written By: 2001 on 12/21/16 at 8:09 pm

When it comes to CN, I'd have to agree with ZeldaFan and mqg96

1992-1996 were the rising, building years of CN.

1997-2005 were the "salad years" of CN, everything felt "in-sync". Toonami, Cartoon cartoons, and Adult Swim prime.

2006 was tolerable but not as good.

2007-2009 was the dark age, bunch of bad stuff happened, such as Fridays getting replaced by Fried Dynamite, TOM 3 on Toonami getting replaced by the crap TOM 4, and the CN Real block.

1997-2003/4**. 2005 is with 2006.

Written By: Zelek3 on 12/21/16 at 8:15 pm

Yes sir... :P

Written By: 2001 on 12/21/16 at 8:17 pm

Yes sir... :P

2005 was a bad year and you should feel bad :o

Written By: Looney Toon on 12/21/16 at 9:03 pm

2005's CN City was alright actually.

Written By: mqg96 on 12/26/16 at 9:45 pm

2005's CN City was alright actually.

2005 was the PEAK of CN City without a question so it was really good. 2006's Yes Era being CN City -2.0 has the "alright" title IMO.

Written By: Zelek3 on 12/27/16 at 4:03 am

The thing about the other kids' networks, such as Disney Channel, is that they definitely went downhill in 2006, whereas with CN, they were still pretty good in 2006 though going downhill a little, then really went downhill in 2007.

CN has always been the best of the best (well, up till 2013), so it's no surprise to me that they could withstand going downhill a little longer than the others.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/27/16 at 4:27 am

The thing about the other kids' networks, such as Disney Channel, is that they definitely went downhill in 2006, whereas with CN, they were still pretty good in 2006 though going downhill a little, then really went downhill in 2007.

Both of them weren't the same in 2007. I remember watching them in 2005 and 2006, but they changed slowly into new eras by the summer or fall of 2007. I still kept watching Cartoon Network throughout the late 2000s, but only for a couple shows like Chowder, Flapjack, Total Drama Island, and Class of 3000 (which got cancelled in 2008).

CN has always been the best of the best (well, up till 2013), so it's no surprise to me that they could withstand going downhill a little longer than the others.

That and Boomerang was always great until the mid 2010s. Although, it had a few downturns during the Snyder era. But Boomerang was still great until they had the balls to rebrand with NO classic cartoons whatsoever, and only had few previous Cartoon Network shows. The most of Boomerang's schedule now is just modern CN programming that didn't even end yet.

Written By: Mat1991 on 12/27/16 at 4:17 pm

The golden years of Cartoon Network (a.k.a. the "Powerhouse Era") coincided with my elementary school years. That's why I now have so much nostalgia for elementary school, because I associate it with Cartoon Network. It's no surprise I stopped watching CN as much as soon as I began junior high and the "City" era started.  :P

Written By: YuYuYuuki on 02/27/17 at 7:23 pm

I loved Toonami as a kid. I had a crush on Swayzak from the Trapped in Hyperspace event, which I maintained for 7 years. It had to be his voice.

Written By: humaeast on 02/28/17 at 5:57 am

I loved Toonami as a kid. I had a crush on Swayzak from the Trapped in Hyperspace event, which I maintained for 7 years. It had to be his voice.

He was kinda sexy. Just kinda.

Written By: humaeast on 05/04/19 at 3:53 pm

He was kinda sexy. Just kinda.

God, Yuuki... if I had to go back in time and convince my past self not to do something, it'd be creating her as a cover up because I didn't think my life was too enticing. I got in trouble with a user named Balty Raven's friend and they're all under the false suspicion of me doing something I didn't. All because I wasn't who I wanted to be. I can't even use this forum anymore because everyone was so saddened by Yuuki's death and I just want to bash my head into a wall. We all do stupid things when we're young, but I don't think this can be forgiven.

Written By: 2001 on 05/04/19 at 5:14 pm

God, Yuuki... if I had to go back in time and convince my past self not to do something, it'd be creating her as a cover up because I didn't think my life was too enticing. I got in trouble with a user named Balty Raven's friend and they're all under the false suspicion of me doing something I didn't. All because I wasn't who I wanted to be. I can't even use this forum anymore because everyone was so saddened by Yuuki's death and I just want to bash my head into a wall. We all do stupid things when we're young, but I don't think this can be forgiven.

Are you and Yuuki the same person?  ???

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/04/19 at 6:43 pm

I'm so confused rn.......................

But yeah Classic Cartoon Network was the sh!t 8):

iiWG8gbLE2Y

Written By: annimal on 05/04/19 at 6:58 pm

cartoon cartoon

Written By: mqg96 on 06/14/19 at 7:59 am

Well, today officially marks 15 years since the Cartoon Network City Era (silver age) debuted and the Powerhouse Era (golden age) came to an official end after 7 long years. Let's be honest, both eras were great in its own ways, and both eras were the height of Cartoon Network's popularity since the existence of the network in 1992. I decided to create some collages that represented both of these eras. I couldn't include EVERY SINGLE show from each era, but I tried my best to include most of the shows that represented each era the most.

Powerhouse (1997-2004)
https://i.imgur.com/wYc6hfs.jpg

City (2004-2007)
https://i.imgur.com/HKo1CfX.jpg

Written By: Zelek3 on 06/14/19 at 12:53 pm

Great job marquis.

On the subject of the thread, yeah I noticed classic CN isn't as popular as classic Nick in nostalgia discussions. There was a lot of classic CN buzz around 2012-2014 (you and I probably remember this marquis and Zelda, a lot of people were talking about the different CN eras and posting commercials on Youtube), but it kinda faded out. I think it's because classic CN was more "underground" or "Edgy" compared to Nick which was more "mainstream".

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 06/16/19 at 10:04 pm

Great job Marquis :). I'd recommend if you make a dedicated thread to the Powerhouse/City eras in the '2000s' decade section, if you want. Overall, Cartoon Network was an unstoppable force in the Late 1990s & Early-Mid 2000s. From modern cartoons, classic cartoons, anime, animated films, cartoon shorts, etc. etc. From every genre, art style, flavor, region, and time period, the channel was truly an artistic way for creators to channel great energy.

Funny enough, there is a mini forgotten era in the channel's history from roughly July 1997 to March 1998;

0fBeIf4JNbc

This was known as the 'Starburst era', which served as a transition from the Late 'Checkerboard era' to the early 'Powerhouse era'. In fact, many blocks/bumpers from this era still incorporated Checkerboard era bumpers, mixed in with slowly introducing Powerhouse era bumpers around December of 97'. There were their own original bumpers from this era, many in which a notable character from a particular cartoon is being 'interviewed' on a red chair. Hence why I'd opt to calling this era the 'Red Chair era' ;D. Pretty cool though, you learn something new everyday.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/16/19 at 10:21 pm

Great job Marquis :). I'd recommend if you make a dedicated thread to the Powerhouse/City eras in the '2000s' decade section, if you want. Overall, Cartoon Network was an unstoppable force in the Late 1990s & Early-Mid 2000s. From modern cartoons, classic cartoons, anime, animated films, cartoon shorts, etc. etc. From every genre, art style, flavor, region, and time period, the channel was truly an artistic way for \This was known as the 'Starburst era', which served as a transition from the Late 'Checkerboard era' to the early 'Powerhouse era'. In fact, many blocks/bumpers from this era still incorporated Checkerboard era bumpers, mixed in with slowly introducing Powerhouse era bumpers around December of 97'. There were their own original bumpers from this era, many in which a notable character from a particular cartoon is being 'interviewed' on a red chair. Hence why I'd opt to calling this era the 'Red Chair era' ;D. Pretty cool though, you learn something new everyday.

Summer 1997-Spring 1998 was basically the Checkerboard to Powerhouse transition. I know. A lot of internet sources have the official start date of the Powerhouse Era inaccurate. There was never an official date when the Checkerboard Era ended and when the Powerhouse Era started. Most people just consider 1997 as a year the final year of the Checkerboard Era and 1998 as a year the first year of the Powerhouse Era, however, when Cow & Chicken and Johnny Bravo premiered in Summer 1997 along with Dexter's Lab already being around, that kick started the Cartoon Cartoon Weekend block, which was the first bumpers Primal Screen animated for Cartoon Network, and Primal Screen was the animation company known for animating everything that dealt with the Powerhouse Era, which is why July 1997 is when the Powerhouse bumpers technically started, but from Summer 1997 to Spring 1998, Checkerboard bumpers were being replaced by Powerhouse bumpers day by day, and by Summer 1998 it was completely Powerhouse and all Checkerboard bumpers were defunct. The programming, blocks, and scheduling hardly changed. 2004 on the other hand, when the Powerhouse Era was replaced by the City Era, the change was literally OVERNIGHT, the bumpers and the logo changed overnight, and within a few months the schedule had an immediate change and CN only had modern shows and Cartoon Cartoon reruns, while all the classics were wiped off the schedule immediately. BTW I'm doing a CHECK it era (2010-2014) collage in a few days, since it was the best modern era of CN. Gotta give that era respect too.

Written By: annimal on 06/17/19 at 1:19 pm

Dorkster

Written By: Mat1991 on 06/22/19 at 8:42 pm

I think I stopped watching Cartoon Network regularly around the same time it transitioned to the City Era. Coincidentally, that was also the year I graduated elementary school and began junior high.

Great job marquis.

On the subject of the thread, yeah I noticed classic CN isn't as popular as classic Nick in nostalgia discussions. There was a lot of classic CN buzz around 2012-2014 (you and I probably remember this marquis and Zelda, a lot of people were talking about the different CN eras and posting commercials on Youtube), but it kinda faded out. I think it's because classic CN was more "underground" or "Edgy" compared to Nick which was more "mainstream".

But some of Classic CN's shows like Dexter's Laboratory and Ed, Edd, 'n Eddy are very mainstream, on the same level as Classic Nickelodeon shows.

Written By: Retrolover on 06/22/19 at 10:22 pm

Never cared for Cartoon Network.

I miss watching Hanna-Barbera cartoons on TBS.  :\'(

Written By: mqg96 on 06/23/19 at 7:53 am

I think I stopped watching Cartoon Network regularly around the same time it transitioned to the City Era. Coincidentally, that was also the year I graduated elementary school and began junior high.

I was lucky to still be in elementary school young enough to enjoy the City Era. Knowing me over the years, I would have probably hated the City Era had I been a couple years older. What helped the City Era survive was reruns of Cartoon Cartoons still being there, the continuation of Ed, Edd n Eddy, Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, Codename: KND, Teen Titans, Duck Dodgers, and What's New Scooby-Doo (many of these peaked in the City Era too), Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends, Ben 10, and most importantly, Miguzi on weekdays and Toonami on Saturdays having a great lineup of action shows whether it was anime from Japan, DC comic book, or American action.

The variety in the City Era was still great. The only reason it wasn't better than the Powerhouse Era is because it lacked the classic cartoons and the majority of the original shows and acquisitions that debuted during the City Era were very mediocre only appealing to young kids. The City Era is when CN put its focus on kids only rather than kids, teens, and adults like it did in the Powerhouse Era. Also, by 2006 the schedule started getting more repetitive. However, a few mediocre shows didn't make the network completely bad yet because it was outweighed by so many good ones.

A lot of people fail to address the bad shows that aired during the Powerhouse Era too. Half of the Hanna-Barbera cartoons were terrible, many 70's and 80's HB cartoons were bad but old folks with rose colored glasses don't want to admit it. I used to like Cow & Chicken and Mike, Lu & Og but looking back those weren't that good. I never liked Robot Jones even when it first came out.

Did y'all know, even though Re-Animated was the first live-action original movie which led to the first live-action original series, Out of Jimmy's Head (then CN Real later on of course). Those were NOT the first live-action shows to ever air on CN. The first live-action movie that aired CN was The Goonies in 2005. The Banana Splits and Pee Wee's Playhouse were syndicated live-action shows on CN during points of the Checkerboard or Powerhouse eras. Big Bag was a preschool show that was LIVE-ACTION, long before the Tickle U preschool block or Out of Jimmy's Head aired. Big Bag and Small World never belonged on CN. Cartoon Cartoon Fridays was ORIGINALLY a live-action block when it first started in 1999, the cartoons only hosted it between 2000-2003, and then it was live-action again when it was simply Fridays between 2003-2007. Hardly anyone on the internet address this, you have to do your own research.

My thing is, when live-action was on Cartoon Network back in the golden age (except for Big Bag) it was done in a way where it was about the cartoons themselves. CCF in 1999 and the Super Bowl specials between 1998-2001 were live-action events that were centered around the cartoons and it was done in a great way where adults could enjoy it too and not just kids. Hell, as bad as Out of Jimmy's Head was, at least it was a show that had animated characters in it, but CN Real, Tower Prep, or Incredible Crew on the other hand, were fully live-action and had NOTHING to do with cartoons at all.

Best thing about City Era: Toonami on Saturday nights between 2004-2006  :D (Miguzi comes close second)
Worst thing about City Era: NO Looney Tunes but Baby Looney Tunes being there  8-P

Written By: mqg96 on 06/23/19 at 8:14 am

But some of Classic CN's shows like Dexter's Laboratory and Ed, Edd, 'n Eddy are very mainstream, on the same level as Classic Nickelodeon shows.

Yep, just like when I was in high school. Adventure Time and Regular Show were very mainstream.

Cartoon Network in its golden age was probably the best kids network that had mainstream and non-mainstream/underground shows.

Written By: humaeast on 10/28/19 at 4:23 pm

Are you and Yuuki the same person?  ???

Oh yeah. I wish I was actually the person Yuuki claimed to be, so I made her up in order to disguise myself. I wish I hadn't done it, but at the same time, Yuuki is like my best friend (I talk to her in my mind when there's nobody around)

Yeah, I'm getting therapy. Just saying.

Written By: 2001 on 11/27/19 at 6:40 pm

Oh yeah. I wish I was actually the person Yuuki claimed to be, so I made her up in order to disguise myself. I wish I hadn't done it, but at the same time, Yuuki is like my best friend (I talk to her in my mind when there's nobody around)

Yeah, I'm getting therapy. Just saying.

If I'm being honest, I figured that you, Yuuki and Rosequartz2000 were the same person. You all liked the obscure game Touhou and found the same inoffensive episode of Spongebob creepy and had a crush on the same Toonami characters. :P

I found most your posts interesting actually, since they were about Japan and I find Japan endlessly fascinating. Do you speak Japanese?

Written By: rapplepop on 11/27/19 at 7:38 pm

The first time I was introduced to Cartoon Network was in late 1997 when I was hospitalized. I remember wishing I could watch Nickelodeon instead because most of the cartoons were old and boring or creepy and weird lol. But I did like some shows, like Ed, Edd and Eddy, Dexter's Lab and Johnny Bravo.

Written By: humaeast on 08/17/22 at 2:59 pm

If I'm being honest, I figured that you, Yuuki and Rosequartz2000 were the same person. You all liked the obscure game Touhou and found the same inoffensive episode of Spongebob creepy and had a crush on the same Toonami characters. :P

I found most your posts interesting actually, since they were about Japan and I find Japan endlessly fascinating. Do you speak Japanese?

Yes. I took Japanese Thru Anime in high school.

I was the only one scared of that hot sauce drop, mind you; Yuuki was just creeped out a little by it, and Martha found it weird.

Yuuki has been restored to normal (Kanako got retconned), and Martha got a makeover. MagicalCherry1987 (Natasha) is also me. Together, they make up the UnwellDanny Cinematic Universe.

Thank you for liking my RP wonderland. I wish others could accept me for that.

Check for new replies or respond here...