inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Lincoln Memorial closed due to vandals

Written By: ninny on 07/26/13 at 10:08 am

The Lincoln Memorial will be closed until further notice after green paint was discovered on the monument Friday morning.

A visitor found the paint splattered on the statue and on the floor around it just before 1:30 a.m. and reported it to police. No words or symbols were written on the statue, News4's Megan McGrath reported.

The U.S. Park Police say the monument will reopen once the National Park Service cleans the statue. There's no estimate on when that work will be done, but maintenance crews are expected to arrive Friday morning.
Surveillance cameras are located on either corner of the monument. There's no word on whether the cameras captured the vandal.

This is not the first time vandalism has been reported at the site of one of the National Mall's memorials.

Back in 2007, an oily substance was found on the memorial wall of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. Police determined the case to be an act of vandalism and not an accident, The Washington Post reported. The removal process took weeks to complete.

Two additional incidents of vandalism have been reported at  Vietnam Veterans Memorial in the past. In 1993, the directory stands at the entrance of the memorial were burned, and a swastika and scratches were found etched in two of the memorials panels in 1988. Both panels were replaced.

Other than those incidents, NPS spokeswoman Carol Johnson said she cannot recall any other cases of vandalism at the National Mall.

The Lincoln Memorial, which was dedicated in 1922, is open to the public 24 hours a day.

Subject: Re: Lincoln Memorial closed due to vandals

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/26/13 at 10:37 am

Was it the Lincoln Memorial were Lisa Simpson once went to to seek out inspiration for a school essay?

Written By: ninny on 07/26/13 at 10:50 am

Was it the Lincoln Memorial were Lisa Simpson once went to to seek out inspiration for a school essay?

Yes it was

n the Simpsons episode "Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington" (1991), Lisa Simpson goes to the Memorial hoping to be inspired by the spirit of Lincoln. She arrives to find a crush of tourists ahead of her, and detours to the Jefferson Memorial. The spirit of Thomas Jefferson speaks to her there, but is annoyed that she came to him only as a second choice.

Written By: Howard on 07/26/13 at 4:07 pm

The Lincoln Memorial will be closed until further notice after green paint was discovered on the monument Friday morning.

A visitor found the paint splattered on the statue and on the floor around it just before 1:30 a.m. and reported it to police. No words or symbols were written on the statue, News4's Megan McGrath reported.

The U.S. Park Police say the monument will reopen once the National Park Service cleans the statue. There's no estimate on when that work will be done, but maintenance crews are expected to arrive Friday morning.
Surveillance cameras are located on either corner of the monument. There's no word on whether the cameras captured the vandal.

This is not the first time vandalism has been reported at the site of one of the National Mall's memorials.

Back in 2007, an oily substance was found on the memorial wall of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. Police determined the case to be an act of vandalism and not an accident, The Washington Post reported. The removal process took weeks to complete.

Two additional incidents of vandalism have been reported at  Vietnam Veterans Memorial in the past. In 1993, the directory stands at the entrance of the memorial were burned, and a swastika and scratches were found etched in two of the memorials panels in 1988. Both panels were replaced.

Other than those incidents, NPS spokeswoman Carol Johnson said she cannot recall any other cases of vandalism at the National Mall.

The Lincoln Memorial, which was dedicated in 1922, is open to the public 24 hours a day.

Why would they want to do something like that? >:(

Written By: ninny on 07/26/13 at 4:34 pm

Why would they want to do something like that? >:(

Howard you never know what people think nowadays, there are a lot of scary people out there.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/26/13 at 6:09 pm

Green Paint...Reveler who never made it home from the St Patricks Day Parade  ::)

Written By: whistledog on 07/26/13 at 6:25 pm

The Lincoln Memorial?  You mean it was earth the whole time ?!?!??

http://wyblog.us/images/planet_of_the_apes_lincoln.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/26/13 at 10:39 pm

There was a guy around here who used to go off on Lincoln.  He probably did it!
:D

Written By: The Valley Goth on 07/27/13 at 12:45 am

Like, Hi, Fer Shurr,

That's too funny, Whistledog!

What's really weird is the fact that I once had the...scariest...dream about The Lincoln Memorial.  I was looking up at the statue of Lincoln, and this insane tidal wave was about to drown both me AND the memorial, but I was more afraid of the memorial than I was of the wave.  Weird, huh?

I swear, the green paint WASN'T mine!  I swear on nightmares of old! :D

Seriously, though, whomever did that didn't even do enough damage to make a statement about anything (Were they trying to say that the government is all about money...by using GREEN paint?).  I think that somebody was really, really, REALLY bored...because their cell phone battery died...because their crush had failed to text them back for, like, the past 5 days...because they were tired of waiting around for that "I Desire A Vampire" pendant to arrive from Amazon.com; I think that they just wanted to get away with doing something that was more "exciting" than sitting around, bored.

Seriously, they COULD'VE made a statement by getting enough of an education to bring wooly mammoths back to life, because I want to see a real, prehistoric wooly mammoth already, fer shurr!  Instead, I'm seeing pictures of The Lincoln Memorial...slightly marred by tiny green lines of paint.  Boooring!

Oh, dear.  I'M finally bored.  I think that I'll mix some pea soup up in a blender, and then throw it on the steps of the local courthouse, and that I'll write "Regan was here!" right next to the mess...in green paint.  AS IF!
;D

Written By: Howard on 07/27/13 at 4:00 pm

The Lincoln Memorial?  You mean it was earth the whole time ?!?!??

http://wyblog.us/images/planet_of_the_apes_lincoln.jpg

Why does his nose look weird?

Written By: whistledog on 07/27/13 at 5:05 pm

Why does his nose look weird?

Because it's an ape

Written By: ninny on 07/29/13 at 10:10 pm

D.C. police on Monday arrested a woman in a string of green-paint vandalism in the District, but officials said they did not know whether she was responsible for all or just some of the incidents that include Friday’s attack on the Lincoln Memorial.

Police identified the woman Monday evening as Jiamei Tian, 58, in a statement that said she had no fixed address and had been charged with defacing property. She was found in the Washington National Cathedral, one of three sites where green paint has been found in the past four days, sources familiar with the arrest said.

“Detectives are investigating whether the suspect may have been involved in similar offenses,” the Metropolitan Police Department statement said.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jul/29/woman-charged-with-defacing-dc-landmarks-with-gree/#ixzz2aUjMvJp7
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Check for new replies or respond here...