inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: It's been 10 years since the Northeast blackout of 2003, but I don't remember it

Written By: waffleboy_92 on 08/14/13 at 3:10 pm

Hi, I just want to know. I am 20 years old, and I live in NJ, so back when the blackout happened I was 10 years old. But I don't have ANY recollection of this event. Why is that? Is this normal? All the memories I have are of video games and TV shows. I don't have a clue what I was doing when this blackout was happening! And I feel really bad about it. Is it normal for a 20 year old not to remember that? Is this type of memory exclusive to, like, 30 year olds? Is there anybody else on this forum who is 20 and doesn't remember stuff from that time? Somebody help me please...

Subject: Re: It's been 10 years since the Northeast blackout of 2003, but I don't remember it

Written By: warped on 08/14/13 at 3:41 pm

I'm not 20 (unless you are talking about IQs  ;D  )
But just like a music post you made 2 months ago, trust me, you are making a big deal over nothing. It's not worth your time getting upset over it. You need to stop stressing over this kind of stuff.

You were 10 years old. When I was ten, I had to be in bed by about 8 or 8:30 PM..

On Aug 14th, it would not have been dark out yet at 8:30pm. You wouldn't have noticed "no lights" in the house coz you were already asleep. By the time you woke up the next day, it was light out and some people got their power back already. It wasn't a school day (being summer holidays) so you just stayed at home playing with your toys.

Heck, when I was 10, I don't remember whether we had or didn't have blackouts.
Don't worry about this kind of stuff...

Subject: Re: It's been 10 years since the Northeast blackout of 2003, but I don't remember it

Written By: whistledog on 08/14/13 at 4:10 pm

I remember when the Blackout occurred.  At the time, I was employed through the Provincial Government, sitting at work infront of my computer when everything shut down.  We thought it was just a local thing, but come the end of the day when the lights didn't come back, we got kind of worried. 

It was so long ago, I don't remember how long I was without power, but I remember being glad I still had my Sony Walkman, so I could keep posted with the radio station.  All I was able to get was CBC, so I listened to Brent Bambury's radio show lol

Written By: waffleboy_92 on 08/14/13 at 4:57 pm

No no no no... I'm not asking what you particularly remember, I'm asking if it's normal for a 20 year old like me not to remember such important events when I was like 10. I need to ask this over the Internet because this is a real problem for me and my parents know this, and they won't let me ask my cousins if they remember things. All I want to know is if it's normal for a person not to remember. This is probably the only place in the Internet I can ask this, so please. If anyone is the same age as me please tell me if you also don't recall certain events. Am I normal or not?

Written By: whistledog on 08/14/13 at 5:05 pm

I'm asking if it's normal for a 20 year old like me not to remember such important events when I was like 10

We already gave you answers to that
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=48466.0

In response to your question:  Is it normal to not remember things when you are 10?  Yes.  Anyone else will give you the same answer

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/14/13 at 5:28 pm

The blackout of 2003 was even quite a big deal over here in German TV, so it must have been very influential to those who have experienced it. As for me, I remember age 10 quite well. This was also a time when I was already aware of major world events.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/14/13 at 6:40 pm

We just had a power flux-that was it. I think the worse thing that happened was that we had to reset our clocks-otherwise, we weren't without power.

Cat

Written By: gibbo on 08/15/13 at 1:22 am

Hi, I just want to know. I am 20 years old, and I live in NJ, so back when the blackout happened I was 10 years old. But I don't have ANY recollection of this event. Why is that? Is this normal? All the memories I have are of video games and TV shows. I don't have a clue what I was doing when this blackout was happening! And I feel really bad about it. Is it normal for a 20 year old not to remember that? Is this type of memory exclusive to, like, 30 year olds? Is there anybody else on this forum who is 20 and doesn't remember stuff from that time? Somebody help me please...

I think it is entirely normal for you to not remember most events of when you were 10 years of age. Only something traumatic would stick in your memory .. and I wouldn't call a blackout (no matter hor long) traumatic. Unless it caused some tragedy close to your etc.

I only remember a handful of events that happened when I was 10 (and they didn't really happen to me or family). Things like John Newcombe and Magaret Court winning the Wimbledon tennis titles, the West Gate bridge in Melbourne collapsing. I remember The Beatles breaking up.  But I can't pinpoint any personal experiences from 1970 (when I was 10). Of course, I've had much longer to forget than you... ::)

Written By: snozberries on 08/15/13 at 3:05 am

IM WORRIED ABOUT YOU WAFFLE BOY!!!
I think you might be suffering from severe memory loss or have some sort of brain injury that limits your ability not only to remember significant events, moments and pop culture trends from ehen you were growing up but you also seem to be unable to remember any of the conversations you've had here since Halloween 2012.  :o

I think you should check yourself into a hospital STAT and get a cat scan. Consult a neurologist. Something! as this is a serious condition and perhaps you are suffering from major brain trauma.  :-\\

In the meantime allow me to refresh your memory of virtually every post you've made about this issue.  (I may have missed a few)  ::) ::) ::)

Because for me it was around 12 (I'm 19). Before that I just played video games (not that many though) and watched cartoons. I feel bad because I don't remember what I was doing while major events like 9/11 and Y2K were happening. And so many other people say they remembered it when they were my age. Also, on Youtube I see comments on music videos about how people remember a song when they were a little kid, and the song isn't even a kid-friendly song. (I only remember the popular kid friendly hit songs). I don't even know what was the equivalent of Facebook or iPhones back then (I think there was something called a pager to text people). I know I sound young, but this applies to everyone when I say what age did you become aware of pop culture. I want to know because I think I became aware too late. I hope this isn't the case.

Hey, I'm 20 years old, and I need some help with something. Why can't I remember certain events in history like 9/11 or the year 2000? I always see people on other sites saying they remembered those things when they were very young, but I can't remember. I don't remember what I was doing on New Year's Eve 2000. And I don't remember what I was doing on the day of 9/11. I was like 7 or 8 when that happened. I remember the aftermath of the attacks. I remember that in 4th grade we weren't allowed to leave the state on a field trip. But that's not good enough. I don't know why I don't remember the day. Another event that I don't remember is the Columbine shooting. I know all of these events now because I hear about them everywhere, but back then I didn't know anything. And it makes me sad that I can't remember but other people can. Does anybody else not remember important events when you were a kid? I just want to know why I can't remember...

Is it okay not to remember that stuff when I was 8 years old at the time? Maybe the people who wrote that they remember the events were older than me. All I cared about at that age was watching TV shows, playing video games, and going to school. I wasn't as aware of the pop culture at the time. I never thought about how pop culture is changing or what were the latest trends. I didn't even know what an mp3 player or an iPod was, all I cared about was cartoons and stuff. Is that normal at the age of 7-12?

Oh man, I wish I remembered as much as you did, but you said your parents watched the news all the time so maybe that explains it. All I remember is kids stuff, like playing Pokemon 24/7, and watching shows on Nick or Cartoon Network.

Maybe because we get more aware of pop culture and the news. I already said that when I was a kid, all I remember watching cartoons and playing video games. I only remember the aftermath of certain events. For 9/11, I remember schools not allowing us to leave the state on field trips. Also, I remember a teacher that went to war in Iraq. For the year 2000, I don't remember the scare everyone had, all I remember is Nickelodeon stopping all their programming that day to talk about the new millennium. But I didn't care one bit, all I cared about was getting back to my shows. My memory of TV shows and video games are the most clear to me, because that was what I cared about the most. The first event that I remember clearly is probably Hurricane Katrina or the Virginia Tech massacre. Is it because I was a teen when those happened?

I want to know because I became interested in music in 2005 when I was 13, but I feel like that was too late. Before that I just cared about cartoons and kid's entertainment. I don't mean just knowing a few of the most popular songs, I mean really becoming interested in different artists and bands. Is it true that people who will grow up with today's music are 90's babies, or early 00's babies? Because I was born in 1992 and I don't like today's music. Should I have been listening to music in the early 00's? I feel bad that I wasn't. Because every time I go to music videos from the late 90's/early 00's on YouTube people say they knew that song when they were young kids. So my question is is it okay to start listening to music when you become a teenager, or do most people start when they're kids? Because I feel like I missed out on a good time in music. Can somebody help me with this?

Okay, back to my question. I knew the names of popular music artists when I was a kid (like Britney Spears, 'N Sync, No Doubt, Jennifer Lopez, etc.) but I didn't know any of their songs. I didn't know any of the hit music at the time, just a few of the really popular songs. All I cared about as a kid was cartoons and video games. I really got into music when I was a teenager in 2005. Is that normal? What age are the people who remember the music of the late 90's/early 00's? Were they born in the 80's, making them a teenager in the early 00's, or were they like me, born in the early 90's and remember that music as a little kid? Because I don't remember that music when I was little. So am I part of the generation who's listens to today's music, or listened to the late 90's/early 00's music?

I did remember some music as a kid, but only the really big hits of the early 00's. For example, I knew "Oops I Did it Again" by Britney Spears, "All Star" by Smash Mouth, "Bye Bye Bye" by 'N Sync. I probably knew like only 20 hit songs from the early 00's, and most of them were kid friendly songs. I didn't know any rap like 50 Cent or Nelly, or any hard rock like Green Day or Foo Fighters. I got into that when I was a teen. Because music wasn't my thing when I was a kid. Like I said, I only knew about cartoons on Nick and kid friendly stuff. So is it okay to only know a few of the big hits of that time? Is that the normal amount to know?

This forum is about nostalgia and pop culture over the years, and that's what my problem is about. I feel EXTREMELY bad that I'm a teenager of the late 00s/2010s. I believe that music had a certain emotion and feel good vibe that lasted from the 70's to the early 00's. Now I know what you're thinking, music went to **** in 2000, blah blah blah. But that's different than what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the seriousness and emotion in music. I know a lot of hit music over the years. I can give examples of what I mean. All the emotion went away when I became a teenager in 2005. I wish I could've listened to music when I was a little kid, but all I was doing was playing video games and watching cartoons. I think about this every day. I can't take this anymore. I need someone to help me on this forum. Why do so many people on YouTube say they remember music when they were a little kid in the late 90's/early 00's but I don't? It's driving me nuts! Help me please...

I know people can't answer why I didn't know about music, but why are other people able to remember it? Were they raised differently? Were they surrounded by cool kids in school? Because I was a nerd in school, maybe that was it. I went to a YouTube video of songs from when I was a kid in the early 00's, and people said they remembered it when they were younger than I was back then! And it makes me jealous. They got to experience the good times in music, and I didn't. And it's not just music. The Tv shows, video games, movies, etc. I never had a thought about how good things were when I was a child, and now I look back and wonder why I didn't take it for granted.

I can't remember what I was doing when 9/11 or the new millennium happened. I don't remember watching the 2004 presidential elections, but I do the 2008 and 2012 ones. I don't remember what a Walkman or MP3 player was. I don't remember having a thought about when DVDs became popular. I don't know who was the Snooki or Kim kardashian was at that time. I don't know what was the Dubstep/Gangnam Style of the time. I don't remember hating on N Sync or the Backstreet boys. I don't remember commercials about flip phones/brick phones. All I remember is watching stupid cartoons and all the kids movies from then. Do other people who were kids back then remembered it?

This is not a joke thread. I'm sitting at home crying about this, and I'm coming to the people of the Internet for help.

Is it normal for kids back then not to care about that stuff? Because I asked my little brother if his friends know about the more teen/adult pop culture topics of today, and he said they do. Was I sheltered as a kid? Why me? Is it because of memes and the social media sites that these things become popular with all ages? I remember seeing a funny chart that said in 2003 most people got their first phone when they were 18, but in 2013 they get it when they're 8. Is what we expose to children really changing? Or was it like that before, and I was just a sheltered child?

I hate this. I'm gonna have to spend the rest of my life with the same level of pop culture awareness that I have now, and know that there was a certain time in my life where I wasn't aware. I'm going to know the equivalent of phenomenons such as dubstep or hipsters in 2020, and 2030, and 2040, but not in 1998 (when I was 6) to 2004. I'm going to remember complaining about the music today in the 2010's, but never thinking about it in 2000. I want to go back to my childhood with the same level of awareness I have now, but that's impossible. I can't cope with these thoughts everyday. I need serious help.

Hmmm maybe you guys are right. Instead of wondering why I didn't remember certain things, I should embrace the memories I do have. Some memories I have are watching the s out of Nick and Cartoon Network and Nick, playing the PS2 a lot, playing Pokemon a lot. I remember the song "All Star" played on the radio so much that it gave me a headache whenever I heard it, lol. I remember all the kids movies back then. So I do have memories, and maybe other don't have the same memories I do. Maybe I just have to accept that everyone's different..,

Okay, so this is what happened. I went on YouTube asking the same question as I did on these forums, about why I couldn't remember music from when I was a little kid and other people could. And my comments got downvoted and a couple people told me to "Shut my lame a** up" and "Commit suicide you worthless f**k". I even said that I have a depression issue, and they don't seem to care. Why is this happening? Why do they treat people with problems like that? What am I supposed to do?

Yeah but why were they treating me like that? Why were they treating a person with obvious depression issues like that?

Is it okay to post the video that they said this in on this website?

I say that I'm crying at home, that I'm mentally breaking down, and they don't care, they probably think I'm being an annoying troll. They don't take me seriously at all.

No, but you guys have helped me. You all gave me intelligent answers to my question , and now I feel a little better. Yeah, I don't remember music, but I remember many other things that others probably didn't get the chance to know. So thanks guys, for helping me with my problem.

And you forgot you decided not to worry about it any longer.

It's alright now. You guys have helped me and now I feel a bit better, thanks.

Written By: snozberries on 08/15/13 at 3:10 am

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

STOP
FEEDING
THE
DAMN
TROLL

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Written By: karen on 08/15/13 at 6:14 am

@snoz  bored were you?  ;D

Written By: Howard on 08/15/13 at 7:13 am

I think you might be suffering from severe memory loss or have some sort of brain injury that limits your ability not only to remember significant events, moments and pop culture trends from ehen you were growing up but you also seem to be unable to remember any of the conversations you've had here since Halloween 2012.  :o

I think you should check yourself into a hospital STAT and get a cat scan. Consult a neurologist. Something! as this is a serious condition and perhaps you are suffering from major brain trauma.  :-\\

In the meantime allow me to refresh your memory of virtually every post you've made about this issue.  (I may have missed a few)  ::) ::) ::)

wow Q that's amazing. ;D

Written By: Howard on 08/15/13 at 7:17 am

That day, I just got off the bus after 4pm, I was coming home from my program in the city and as soon as I stepped off the bus, no street lights were working at all and cars were going crazy as I was about to cross the street that day. It was a hot evening as we all slept with the windows open, we didn't get our power back until the next day during the early afternoon.

Written By: snozberries on 08/15/13 at 10:02 am

@snoz  bored were you?  ;D

more annoyed than bored....but yeah.... I had a little time to kill  ;) :D

Written By: snozberries on 08/15/13 at 10:02 am

wow Q that's amazing. ;D

thanks howard!

K+1

Written By: ninny on 08/15/13 at 10:18 am

Nice, I thought good lord that kid has problems remembering everything.

Written By: Howard on 08/15/13 at 1:46 pm

I remember the temperature was a very hot 93 and the day was so unbearable, I just couldn't believe coming home that day after work without the air conditioner at night to sleep with. And hardly a cool breeze coming through the window. But I was able to take a cold shower, brush my teeth and go to bed.

Written By: Venomous Mask on 08/15/13 at 1:57 pm

Wasn't it referenced in Men in Black 2?

Written By: whistledog on 08/15/13 at 4:56 pm

Memory loss is a serious thing.  We mustn't joke about it because .. um what was I talking about again?  I don't remember!

Written By: XYkid on 08/15/13 at 5:43 pm

I don't remember it, but I was only 9 and living in Texas at the time. Therefore it would have had no effect on me anyway.

You were 10 years old. When I was ten, I had to be in bed by about 8 or 8:30 PM..
When I was 9, I was allowed to stay up as late as ten during the summer.

Written By: snozberries on 08/15/13 at 7:43 pm

Memory loss is a serious thing.  We mustn't joke about it because .. um what was I talking about again?  I don't remember!

I know I saw this movie but I have no memory of it

http://www.dbcovers.com/imagenes/posters/memento_2000//memento_2000_7.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 08/15/13 at 7:44 pm

I don't remember it, but I was only 9 and living in Texas at the time. Therefore it would have had no effect on me anyway.
When I was 9, I was allowed to stay up as late as ten during the summer.

yes but we aren't talking about you we are talking about waffle boy and how tragic his memory loss is....

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/15/13 at 11:54 pm

http://derpicdn.net/media/W1siZiIsIjIwMTIvMTEvMjEvMDNfMzZfMjVfNTg3XzE1ODU0NV9fVU5PUFRfXyJdXQ/158545__safe_twilight+sparkle_rainbow+dash_pinkie+pie_fluttershy_rarity_applejack_princess+luna_derpy+hooves_animated_trixie_mane+six_magic_clapping_orson+welles_citizen+kane.gif

So.  Awesome.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/16/13 at 12:56 am

Still seems like yesterday to me, but I was 16 then and living in Cleveland which was affected.

Written By: gibbo on 08/16/13 at 1:34 am

I don't recall it at all .....  ;)

Written By: Howard on 08/16/13 at 3:27 pm

;D

Written By: MarioDaDon on 08/26/13 at 4:21 pm

I Was Only 7/8 , But I Remember That , But I Thought It Was Only In My Neighborhood In The Bronx , Lmaooo I Remember Me In My Friends Were Scaring People In The Staircases ..

Written By: Katluver on 08/28/13 at 10:58 am

I remember I was living with my parents at the time, and I was in the bathroom. I think it was around late afternoon or evening, and it was a typical muggy day.
I can't remember exactly what I was doing (shaving my legs?), but I wasn't quite finished with my task when suddenly the light went out. We have frequent power outages where I grew up so I expected the lights to go back on within the next minute or two.
After waiting for what seemed like several minutes, I did begin to think, "WTF is going on?" Then my parents returned, and my mom mentioned that the blackout was happening beyond our city, and that there was talk about a possible link to terrorism.
My friends down south, heard about the news and decided to call me to chat for awhile.
Of course we had no power for the rest of the evening, and we lit up candles around the house. It was a little eerie how all those candles casted flickering shadows against the walls and mirrors.
The next morning, most of the power around our city was still out, and I remember I had to drive through intersections with no working traffic lights. My workplace had a generator so we sat by our computers, and everything was normal.
By the time the following evening rolled along, there where still some places without power.

Written By: Howard on 08/28/13 at 1:52 pm

being without an air conditioner that night was really hard, there was hardly a breeze coming through the window.

Written By: Starde on 08/30/13 at 7:03 pm

I definitely remember that '03 blackout. I was still living in SoCal at the time so I wasn't affected by it. I do remember hearing about it on CNN and there was some speculation over whether or not it was a terrorist attack. Thankfully, that was untrue.

And OP: Broken record much?

Written By: 80sfan on 08/30/13 at 7:17 pm

I don't remember it, and I was 14 at the time. But then I lived and still live in Nebraska.  8)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/24/13 at 4:40 pm

I missed Transformers Armada on YTV because of the black out.  :P

Written By: Howard on 09/24/13 at 7:17 pm

I missed Transformers Armada on YTV because of the black out.  :P

So wasn't it on the next day as a repeat?  ???

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/24/13 at 9:55 pm

So wasn't it on the next day as a repeat?  ???

No it wasn't.  :(

Written By: Howard on 09/25/13 at 6:37 am

I remember coming home and my house was pitch dark, no air conditioner and no fan, just an open window with hardly a breeze at night. Imagine having to sleep without an air conditioner or a fan? 

Written By: Katluver on 09/25/13 at 7:43 pm

I can't believe that happened over 10 years ago---just seemed like it happened a couple of weeks ago!

Written By: Howard on 09/25/13 at 7:47 pm

I can't believe that happened over 10 years ago---just seemed like it happened a couple of weeks ago!

I know, it seemed like yesterday. I was a few months away from leaving my vocational program.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/26/13 at 4:22 pm

Yeah.  It was horrible.  :P

Check for new replies or respond here...