inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Eminem vs Lady Gaga

Written By: bchris02 on 08/15/13 at 8:04 pm

Who do you think had a more profound impact on music and pop culture in general?  Eminem came on the scene in the late '90s and ushered in the rap era that dominated most of the '00s.  Lady Gaga come on the scene in the late '00s and kicked rap out the back door and brought in electropop which is king to this day.  Both scenes also have impacted pop culture far beyond music as well.  Thoughts?  Who was more impactful?

Subject: Re: Eminem vs Lady Gaga

Written By: warped on 08/15/13 at 8:25 pm

I have to say that Gaga has more of a cultural impact that Eminem. I hear her name more often and people talk about her more than they did with Eminem. She's on TV more, I hear more water cooler talk from Gaga than I ever did with Eminem.

By the way,  am not being biased coz I ain't a fan of either of them. I know I'm not scoring any points here and don't care, but I think both artists music is totally the shyts and I can't listen to more than 10 seconds of any of their songs without feeling tortured.  That's just me.

In conclusion:  Impact of Gaga > Impact of Eminem.

Written By: whistledog on 08/15/13 at 8:26 pm

Eminem is old news.  Is he still around?  Sure.  Does he still have hits?  Sure.  Does everyone listen to rap music?  No.

Lady Gaga performs dance pop.  the songs are catchy, and they are still everywhere.  Does the average person like a catchy song they can dance and sing to?  Yes.

Lady Gaga for the win!

Written By: snozberries on 08/15/13 at 10:52 pm

Eminent has an Oscar  :P

Written By: snozberries on 08/15/13 at 11:06 pm

Eminent has an Oscar  :P

Speaking of awards.  According to wiki-

AMAS      Gaga 1.  Eminem 10
Billboard. Gaga 0.  Eminem 17
Brit awards gaga 3 eminem 4
Grammy.    Gaga 5. Eminem 13
Juno.          Gaga 0. Eminem 2
MTV Europe. Gaga 8. Eminem 13
MTV video.    Gaga 13. Eminem 11
MuchMusic Video gaga 3 Eminem 2
NRJ Music Awards gaga 5  Eminem 2
People's Choice    Gaga 3 eminem 7
Teen Choice Awards gaga 3 Eminem 7
World Music Awards. Gaga  5 Eminem 5
Academy Awards.    Gaga 0 eminem 1
Golden Globe Awards gaga 0 Eminem 0
Emmy Award.            Gaga 1 Eminem 2

Written By: bchris02 on 08/16/13 at 10:44 am

Eminem is old news.  Is he still around?  Sure.  Does he still have hits?  Sure.  Does everyone listen to rap music?  No.

Lady Gaga performs dance pop.  the songs are catchy, and they are still everywhere.  Does the average person like a catchy song they can dance and sing to?  Yes.

Lady Gaga for the win!

Of course today Lady Gaga is more popular. She is everywhere. However, I am comparing Lady Gaga today with Eminem during the height of his popularity which was probably the 2000-04 timeframe. Also, rap was very popular with teens and twentysomethings in the early 2000s. It's not so much with that same demographic today, but electropop is their preferred genre.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/16/13 at 12:47 pm

Eminem's 2000 The Marshall Mather LP sold 10 million copies in America alone, and his Eminem show sold 10 million copies in the USA alone also. Those are some huge album sales.

He was HUGE from 2000 to 2004. His breakout was 1999 though. I'd say his 'time' was 1999 to 2005.

BUT worldwide I'm not sure if he was as popular as in the US. Lady Gaga is huge worldwide.

In America, I'd say they are both equal during their 'hey day' (although Gaga's time might still be here). Worldwide though I'd say Gaga dominates.

Written By: Jeff on 08/16/13 at 8:20 pm

It takes at least 10 years or so to truly know what kind of legacy someone will leave so Eminem wins by default.

Written By: snozberries on 08/16/13 at 10:11 pm

It takes at least 10 years or so to truly know what kind of legacy someone will leave so Eminem wins by default.

If you were a member I'd karma you for this.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/19/13 at 8:15 am

I think an educated guess can be made though. Eminem brought hip-hop to white suburbia, a place where previously it had been common to hear teens say "I hate the rap crap."  Likewise, Lady Gaga brought EDM from being pretty much a gay genre to the dominant genre in pop music and also removed a lot of the stigma against homosexuality.

Both changed music and the culture of their time in a significant way. In terms of effect on culture, I would say Lady Gaga has been bigger.  The hip-hop inspired clothing and style was already on its way out of the mainstream in the early '00s when Eminem became popular.

Written By: Venomous Mask on 08/19/13 at 10:52 am

At the height of his popularity, Eminem was treated almost like a living god.  Lady Gaga is pretty popular right now, but she in no way comes close to how big Eminem was.  And Eminem is an absolutely amazing lyricist.  Gaga doesn't tough him in that regard.  And then there's of course sales.

Written By: snozberries on 08/19/13 at 11:07 am

At the height of his popularity, Eminem was treated almost like a living god.  Lady Gaga is pretty popular right now, but she in no way comes close to how big Eminem was.  And Eminem is an absolutely amazing lyricist. Gaga doesn't tough him in that regard. And then there's of course sales.

THIS!!! and THAT!  O0

Written By: Jeff on 08/19/13 at 3:06 pm

The hip-hop inspired clothing and style was already on its way out of the mainstream in the early '00s when Eminem became popular.

My Name Is was released in 1999 and reached number two in the UK Singles chart. So I'd say that he was already popular before 2000.

Written By: Jeff on 08/19/13 at 3:08 pm

My Name Is was released in 1999 and reached number two in the UK Singles chart. So I'd say that he was already popular before 2000.

To add to my comment, the 1999 album was number two on the US Billboard 200. You do't make it to number two if you aren't already popular.

Written By: whistledog on 08/19/13 at 6:33 pm

To add to my comment, the 1999 album was number two on the US Billboard 200. You do't make it to number two if you aren't already popular.

See, if you were a registered member, you could edit your reply instead of quoting yourself.  And because you quoted yourself, it looks like you are talking to yourself.  And when you talk to yourself, people think you're crazy, and when you're crazy, they haul you away in a straight jacket and when they haul you away in a straight jacket, they lock you in a padded room, and when they lock you in a padded room, you're never seen again.  Don't never be seen again. Register for an account at inthe00s.com

Written By: snozberries on 08/19/13 at 6:48 pm

See, if you were a registered member, you could edit your reply instead of quoting yourself.  And because you quoted yourself, it looks like you are talking to yourself.  And when you talk to yourself, people think you're crazy, and when you're crazy, they haul you away in a straight jacket and when they haul you away in a straight jacket, they lock you in a padded room, and when they lock you in a padded room, you're never seen again.  Don't never be seen again. Register for an account at inthe00s.com

Nice play on those geico commercials.  ;D  (I think it's geico)

Written By: whistledog on 08/19/13 at 8:07 pm

Nice play on those geico commercials.  ;D  (I think it's geico)

DirecTV

Written By: 80sfan on 08/19/13 at 8:17 pm

From 2000.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSt3x7Fbe-1RLggLOxjNWtQmBGmhirnNOgkP9OJR7GruSlTXVys

From 2002.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_BZSpcDBmAJc/TJnL5IIJx-I/AAAAAAAAAGg/Lg4l_W4VimA/s320/album-the-eminem-show-limited-edition-w-bonus-dvd.jpg

And from the peak of his career, also 2002.

http://eil.com/images/main/Eminem+-+8+Mile+-+CD%2FDVD+SET-423050.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 08/19/13 at 10:00 pm

DirecTV

even better...

i'm embarrassed I didn't remember that...  :-[

Written By: Howard on 08/20/13 at 6:38 am

I think he will eventually... one day. ;D

Written By: Howard on 08/20/13 at 6:39 am

and Lady Gaga has never appeared in a film before. Eminem has.

Written By: whistledog on 08/20/13 at 5:26 pm

and Lady Gaga has never appeared in a film before. Eminem has.

She is in Machete Kills which comes out this October and also had a cameo role in Men in Black 3

Written By: Howard on 08/20/13 at 6:24 pm

She is in Machete Kills which comes out this October and also had a cameo role in Men in Black 3

Ok, I guess I rest my case.

Written By: snozberries on 08/21/13 at 1:13 am

Ok, I guess I rest my case.

That's not what that means Howard.  ;D

Hopefully she's the target and the machete doesn't miss  :D

Written By: 80sfan on 08/22/13 at 2:38 pm

Did Lady Gaga play the alien?  :-X

Written By: Mushroom on 08/22/13 at 4:49 pm

But Eminem does not have a Weird Al Video about him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss_BmTGv43M

And yea, I know "Couch Potato" was based upon one of his songs, but he refused permission for the music video as well as the single release and most have forgotten that song already (he said he thought it would hurt his career).

Written By: Howard on 08/23/13 at 7:19 am

But Eminem does not have a Weird Al Video about him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss_BmTGv43M

And yea, I know "Couch Potato" was based upon one of his songs, but he refused permission for the music video as well as the single release and most have forgotten that song already (he said he thought it would hurt his career).

OMG!!!  ;D

Written By: Mushroom on 08/23/13 at 10:35 am

OMG!!!  ;D

One thing that has long been recognized, is that Weird Al has long had his finger on the pop culture pulse of this country.  And his career has gone on long after many of those he lampoons have been forgotten.

Billy Ray Cyrus, Joan Jett, The Knack, Nirvana, Talking Heads, Taylor Hicks, Backstreet Boys, Cherry Poppin Daddies, Crash Test Dummies, Bare Naked Ladies, El DeBarge, Huey Lewis, Dire Straits, B-52s, TLC, Survivor, Billy Joel, the list just goes on and on and on.

So call this a "Weird Al Index", much like the "Big Mac Index" for economics.  If he lampoons them, they have made it.  If he makes a video of them, then they have really made it.

Written By: snozberries on 08/23/13 at 10:51 am

One thing that has long been recognized, is that Weird Al has long had his finger on the pop culture pulse of this country.  And his career has gone on long after many of those he lampoons have been forgotten.

Billy Ray Cyrus, Joan Jett, The Knack, Nirvana, Talking Heads, Taylor Hicks, Backstreet Boys, Cherry Poppin Daddies, Crash Test Dummies, Bare Naked Ladies, El DeBarge, Huey Lewis, Dire Straits, B-52s, TLC, Survivor, Billy Joel, the list just goes on and on and on.

So call this a "Weird Al Index", much like the "Big Mac Index" for economics.  If he lampoons them, they have made it.  If he makes a video of them, then they have really made it.

He made a parody of eminem's song but wasn't given permission to do a video.
You tube weird al couch potato. Look for the video of al "interviewing' eminem.  I'ma say that counts as a video lampoon  :D

Written By: Howard on 08/23/13 at 12:59 pm

What hasn't he lampooned?

Written By: Mushroom on 08/23/13 at 1:18 pm

What hasn't he lampooned?

Prince.

Of course, he did try and was turned down, but he says he will keep trying until Prince develops a sense of humor.

And there are many who are "flash in the pan" groups who come and go so fast it really does not matter.  He did include a few lines from Hanson in one of his Polka Medleys and even directed one of their music videos.

But it is really hard to find something that he has not at least touched upon, having hit everybody and everything from Disco, iron lungs and George Michael to We Are The World and Bart Simpson.

And yea, I did mention Couch Potato.  But how many remember that anymore?  The Perform This Way video still gets airplay even 2 years later, where as Eminem is still trying to write his masterpiece.  Already over 2 years late, if he keeps it up this may be the Chinese Democracy of the 2020's.

And sorry, I have to admit I am much more likely to listen to Eminem, but I think Miss Gaga is much more original when it comes to music.  I have yet to hear an Eminem song that is not simply a dumbed down sample of an old hit by somebody else.

Written By: Howard on 08/24/13 at 7:05 am

Of course, he did try and was turned down, but he says he will keep trying until Prince develops a sense of humor.

Hope he keeps trying, one day he'll catch Prince's sense of humor.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/24/13 at 7:11 am

I wouldn't count on Prince to have too much of a sense of humor. Some people are just serious, that's just the way they are.

Plus, Prince is known for being difficult sometimes, so that speaks about how flexible his personality is.

I can't say I'd have much in common with him as a person or would talk to him in real life, but his music is divine.

Check for new replies or respond here...