inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best American bands ever, 1960s to 1990.

Written By: warped on 08/16/13 at 10:44 am

I was thinking about this the other day, what are the best American rock and roll or pop bands ever? I'm thinking from the 1960s to early 1990 ish here. I tried to come up with a list of my favorite bands from the USA.

Eagles
Supremes
Beach Boys
Styx
Journey
The Doors
REM
Byrds
CCR
Cars
Tom Petty and the Heartbrakers
Aerosmith
Boston
Chicago
Journey
Van Halen

I am sure I have missed a few bands here. My favorite American band is probably The Eagles followed by The Beach Boys, and Chicago (based on their 70s hits) might be 3rd.

Any bands you want to add to that list?
Who is your favorite American music band for that time period?

Subject: Re: Best American bands ever.

Written By: whistledog on 08/16/13 at 5:06 pm

Good list!

Here's a few more ...

Dokken
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
Night Ranger
REO Speedwagon
Toto

Written By: Jeff on 08/16/13 at 8:22 pm

The grunge groups. Nirvana, Soundgarden etc.

Written By: warped on 08/16/13 at 8:33 pm

Good list!

Here's a few more ...

Dokken
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
Night Ranger
REO Speedwagon
Toto

Good choices there.

Written By: gibbo on 08/17/13 at 2:30 am

My top 3 are exactly the same as warped listed.  You could also argue that Fleetwood Mac (in their most popular form) are half American.

I would add:

CSN
America
Doobie Brothers
Kansas
Jackson 5
The Osmonds
The Steve Miller Band

Written By: warped on 08/17/13 at 6:25 am

My top 3 are exactly the same as warped listed.  You could also argue that Fleetwood Mac (in their most popular form) are half American.

I would add:

CSN
America
Doobie Brothers
Kansas
Jackson 5
The Osmonds
The Steve Miller Band

Great choices, gibbo (Yeah, I left Fleetwood Mac off the list because they are not fully American.)

Written By: ninny on 08/17/13 at 6:51 am

Great list guys :) I'm going to add

Lynyrd Skynyrd
Three Dog Night
Steely Dan

Written By: warped on 08/17/13 at 6:54 am

Great list guys :) I'm going to add

Lynyrd Skynyrd
Three Dog Night
Steely Dan

I'll add "Heart" to the list too.

Written By: ninny on 08/17/13 at 8:05 am

I'll add "Heart" to the list too.

Love them too.

Written By: whistledog on 08/17/13 at 3:33 pm

America (despite the name) are technically a British band, as they formed in England.  Gerry Beckley and the late Dan Peek were born in America.  Dewey Bunnell was born in England.

They are American enough for me.  Their works in the early 80s re among my favourites!

Written By: zcrito on 08/18/13 at 2:37 am

It looks like someone already mentioned Steely Dan, Chicago and the Doobies.
And for Steely Dan, that's whatever "the band" is at the time.

Don't forget War, and The Ramones.

(Did someone say the Osmonds ??)

Written By: ninny on 08/18/13 at 5:49 am

I also like Bon Jovi.

Written By: zcrito on 08/19/13 at 12:17 am

Also
Earth, Wind & Fire and
The Allman Brothers Band.

(the Osmonds ??)

Written By: gibbo on 08/19/13 at 2:01 am

I'd add Foreigner and Cheap Trick to my favourite U.S. bands.

Interestingly ... No-one has mentioned Nirvana, Guns'n'Roses, Faith No More etc.

Written By: warped on 08/19/13 at 5:05 am

Interestingly ... No-one has mentioned Nirvana, Guns'n'Roses, Faith No More etc.

Another one to add to the list is Van Halen.

I didn't include Foreigner on my list because..like Fleetwood Mac, they aren't a 100% American. I didn't include Nirvana coz I think they are just about the most overrated band ever  :D and I didn't include any 80s hair bands coz I'm not really fond of that genre, but I don't hate it. So many of those hair bands sounded so alike to me.

I'm going to do an Auzzie/New Zealand list soon, I expect input from you there.  ;)

Written By: gibbo on 08/19/13 at 5:26 pm

Another one to add to the list is Van Halen.

I didn't include Foreigner on my list because..like Fleetwood Mac, they aren't a 100% American. I didn't include Nirvana coz I think they are just about the most overrated band ever  :D and I didn't include any 80s hair bands coz I'm not really fond of that genre, but I don't hate it. So many of those hair bands sounded so alike to me.

I'm going to do an Auzzie/New Zealand list soon, I expect input from you there.  ;)

I said it was intersting some of those bands had not been mentioned. Hoever, given the title of the thread ... I was not surprised! 

The Monkees ... they were cheesy but they have their place in U.S. pop culture.

Written By: whistledog on 08/19/13 at 6:20 pm

Guns 'N Roses I would consider because they were in the 80s and their songs were catchy enough that even non mental fans could tap their feet to.  But Nirvana?  I never saw the appeal.  I still don't

Written By: gibbo on 08/19/13 at 8:16 pm

Guns 'N Roses I would consider because they were in the 80s and their songs were catchy enough that even non mental fans could tap their feet to.  But Nirvana?  I never saw the appeal.  I still don't

Other bands...

Pearl Jam
Foo Fighters ( I actually don't mind them)...

Written By: Venomous Mask on 08/19/13 at 10:19 pm

Metallica
Overkill
Testament
Megadeth
Alice in Chains
Collective Soul
Motley Crue
Smashing Pumpkins
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Soundgarden
Parliament-Funkadelic

Written By: warped on 08/20/13 at 6:22 am

On my original post my criteria were bands from the 1960s to early 1990. Some of the bands listed, no one had ever even heard of by 1990, or they weren't formed yet. Lets keep it to bands who were popular from the 1960s to 1990.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/21/13 at 12:09 pm

On my original post my criteria were bands from the 1960s to early 1990. Some of the bands listed, no one had ever even heard of by 1990, or they weren't formed yet. Lets keep it to bands who were popular from the 1960s to 1990.

Why? There were a lot of kickass bands after 1990.

Metallica
Overkill
Megadeth
Alice in Chains
Collective Soul
Motley Crue
Smashing Pumpkins
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Soundgarden
Parliament-Funkadelic

^What he said.

Written By: warped on 08/21/13 at 12:19 pm

Why?

Coz...that's the thread I wanted to create. It's the music I listened to.

You can create another thread for bands from 1990 onwards.  :)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/21/13 at 1:20 pm

Coz...that's the thread I wanted to create. It's the music I listened to.

You can create another thread for bands from 1990 onwards.  :)

Well then maybe you shouldn't have called this thread "Best American Bands EVER" then.

I mean, why the arbitrary cutoff date? The only real criteria that I see is that the bands have to be American. Why shouldn't us members who grew up in a different era than yours be allowed to share our opinions here as well? And what's so bad about post 1990-music anyway? I'll put the Seattle bands up against half of the 1960's bands any day of the week.

And even if you disagree with that last statement, what's the harm in having people list their favorite post '90s bands here anyway? Is that somehow going to spoil the integrity of this thread? I think not.

The restriction seems completely unnecessary to me, and I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling this way.

Written By: warped on 08/21/13 at 1:35 pm

Well then maybe you shouldn't have called this thread "Best American Bands EVER" then.

I mean, why the arbitrary cutoff date? The only real criteria that I see is that the bands have to be American. Why shouldn't us members who grew up in a different era than yours be allowed to share our opinions here as well? And what's so bad about post 1990-music anyway? I'll put the Seattle bands up against half of the 1960's bands any day of the week.

And even if you disagree with that last statement, what's the harm in having people list their favorite post '90s bands here anyway? Is that somehow going to spoil the integrity of this thread? I think not.

The restriction seems completely unnecessary to me, and I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling this way.

As I said earlier, create your own thread. Is that so hard to do instead of whining about mine?  If you don't like this thread, don't post in it. If you wanna continue to whine about it like a child, then fudge me tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day..I don't care.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/21/13 at 1:43 pm

As I said earlier, create your own thread. Is that so hard to do instead of whining about mine?  If you don't like this thread, don't post in it. If you wanna continue to whine about it like a child, then fudge me tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day..I don't care.

Well, if you're going to be a dick and shoot down everyone's opinions just because they happen to disagree with you, then why should anyone even bother posting in this thread then?  ::)

Written By: warped on 08/21/13 at 1:50 pm

Well, if you're going to be a dick and shoot down everyone's opinions just because they happen to disagree with you, then why should anyone even bother posting in this thread then?  ::)

You are the one who complained about my thread, 3 times now. I gave you some alternatives, twice. Post your own thread. Don't post here.
Who is being the dyck here and sabotaging this thread? Only you, no one else.

In fact if you create your own thread, I will willingly endorse it and ask for this thread to be closed. :)

I am done with this. No sense arguing over stupidity over the net.
Have a nice day, Al.  :)

Written By: ninny on 08/21/13 at 2:28 pm

Good choices, I like Early Guns "N" Roses, saw them and Aerosmith in concert back in'87 that was great and GNR was just getting popular so they weren't cocky yet.

Written By: Venomous Mask on 08/21/13 at 3:36 pm

Good choices, I like Early Guns "N" Roses, saw them and Aerosmith in concert back in'87 that was great and GNR was just getting popular so they weren't cocky yet.

I think they were always cocky to a certain degree.  It's just in their nature, especially when it comes to Axl.

Subject: Re: Best American bands ever, 1960s to 1990.

Written By: gibbo on 08/21/13 at 6:18 pm

Perhaps the thread title should have the 60's, 70's & 80's included (as a reminder). I know that I didn't go back to the original post to see the criteria (a tad lazy I am) ... I just checked the thread title...

I have no issue with the thread creator stipulating the topic of discussion.

Written By: ninny on 08/21/13 at 10:20 pm

I think they were always cocky to a certain degree.  It's just in their nature, especially when it comes to Axl.

That's probably true.

Subject: Re: Best American bands ever, 1960s to 1990.

Written By: ninny on 08/24/13 at 5:47 am

I also like Ambrosia, The Outlaws, 38 Special and the Marshall Tucker Band

Check for new replies or respond here...