inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When were your Nickelodeon watching years?

Written By: Guest 1337 on 11/25/13 at 6:06 pm

For me, they were 1994-1999. I sometimes put it on from time to time (mainly when Spongebob is on), but I often get too busy.

Subject: Re: When were your Nickelodeon watching years?

Written By: Mat1991 on 11/25/13 at 6:52 pm

I would say my Nickelodeon viewing years were from the late '90s up to the mid '00s, though my peak was in the early '00s. I rarely watch it these days except to catch a few shows I like. I don't care for their new logo, either.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/25/13 at 7:36 pm

Since I had eyeballs. (Roughly the last 27 years. I have never NOT watched Nick.)

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 11/26/13 at 8:19 pm

I guess I started watching in the early-mid '90s (as early as I can remember) and probably stopped watching around the mid '00s. I still watch Nick@Nite sometimes.

For most of my childhood, Nick was the only kids channel my family got. We finally got Cartoon Network and Disney Channel when I was about 11.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/26/13 at 11:51 pm

1996 to 2002.

Written By: aja675 on 11/27/13 at 3:04 am

2003 until now.

Written By: Howard on 11/27/13 at 6:55 am

The early to late 1990's.

Written By: fusefan on 11/27/13 at 11:36 am

1994 - 2002

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/27/13 at 11:42 am

1979-1986.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmPIv-fFOBA

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/27/13 at 6:24 pm

1979-1986.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmPIv-fFOBA

Dang man, you caught them when they were doing "You Can't Do That On Television" one of my fave shows!

Written By: Howard on 11/27/13 at 8:05 pm

Dang man, you caught them when they were doing "You Can't Do That On Television" one of my fave shows!

my favorite as well.

Written By: snowstorm on 12/01/13 at 6:54 pm

I watched Nick in the 90's to about 2002.  Then I tune in again in 2005 to about 2009.  After that I completely stopped caring about the channel.

Written By: XYkid on 12/02/13 at 9:07 pm

I didn't really watch Nick a whole lot, I was more into Disney Channel. I mostly stopped watching Disney around 2006, when High School Musical and Hannah Montana replaced most of the shows I really liked.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/03/13 at 3:24 pm

I think for me it was late 90s/early 00s, but I still watch it from time to time as well.

Written By: Step-chan on 12/03/13 at 3:48 pm

The 80s(don't remember what year I actually started in that decade).

Written By: 19brandon90 on 12/11/13 at 9:41 pm

I watched it between 1997 and 2004.

Written By: Ripley on 12/26/13 at 7:36 pm

1991-2000.  I've since watched Drake & Josh and Zoey 101, which were on in the mid-00s, but only in encore form.  But since 2000 I haven't been a fan of Nick.  I was ecstatic when they announced The 90's Are All That but it turned out to be lame.  >:(

Written By: Zeb on 12/26/13 at 9:42 pm

1988-1999 between the ages of four and fifteen.  I don't remember why I actually stopped watching it. I guess I just slowly drifted away from it to other TV interests; the same holds true for MTV and VH1.  I clearly remember watching You Can't Do That On Television and Today's Special

Written By: Howard on 12/27/13 at 7:16 am

late 80's early 90's.

Written By: af2010 on 12/28/13 at 5:41 am

Basically as far back as I remember (probably early 90s) until about 2000.

Written By: 1993 on 01/07/14 at 12:40 pm

1989-1995. Maybe a little of 1996. So basically 5 years old until 11/12

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/07/14 at 9:24 pm

1990-2000 for me, stopping around the time Double Dare 2000 ended, but I clearly was watching less in late '98 and '99 as I started to branch out into other things. I enjoy the 1990-1995 period the most in terms of retrospectively, along with some late '80s shows such as Nick Rocks, Don't Just Sit There, and Finder's Keepers.

Written By: SiderealDreams on 01/08/14 at 12:55 pm

I think from about 1992 to 1998. Basically, from Are You Afraid of the Dark? to Kenan and Kel.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 01/13/14 at 6:27 pm

Circa 1992 or 1993-ish to circa 2005 or 2006-ish. I still watch the new Power Rangers, once again owned by Saban (current season: Megaforce; Super Magaforce starts next month). I also watch TeenNick's The 90s Are All That when they bother to do something new/different/fresh, but that's about as far as I go with Nickelodeon nowadays.

I do have to see I'm a tad disappointed by The 90s Are All That block, and Toonami has been my go-to 90s block ever since it came back. (Ironically, I don't remember watching much of Toonami in its heyday, yet I remember all the bumpers and promos -- from when Moltar was the original host!) At least we got Game Show Week; SNICKiversary; a MMPR 20th anniversary marathon for a weekend; Alex Mack and My Brother and Me; Rocket Power (meh  :-\\  ::)) and AAAHH!!! Real Monsters (Hell yeah!); and finally, Salute Your Shorts and Hey Dude. They are also bringing back some Pete & Pete shorts somewhere down the line.

Written By: Zach4110 on 03/01/14 at 10:22 pm

2001 to today for me. I've seen everything from All That to Big Time Rush.

Written By: Howard on 03/02/14 at 3:22 pm

The 1990's of course.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 03/02/14 at 3:26 pm

The 1990's of course.

I thought that was/is a kid's channel?

Written By: Howard on 03/02/14 at 4:22 pm

I thought that was/is a kid's channel?

I didn't mind watching it at the time, it was 20 years ago.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 03/02/14 at 6:03 pm

I didn't mind watching it at the time, it was 20 years ago.

You were 20.

Written By: LemonCrush on 03/02/14 at 6:57 pm

1996-2000

Written By: Howard on 03/03/14 at 6:54 am

You were 20.

I watched a few of the shows someone mentioned on here.

Written By: dnt88 on 03/11/14 at 1:32 am

I watched nickelodeon from 1993 to 2002. The first show I remember watching is doug. I stopped watching after yugioh became mainstream.  ::) The only show I kept watching was spongebob squarepants and I still like it.  :)

My favorite shows were: doug, rugrats, rocko's modern life, ah real monsters, kablam, hey arnold, catdog, the angry beavers, legends of the hidden temple, kenan & kel and invader zim.

Now they keep airing the pinguins of madagascar, kung fu panda and the ninja turtles and I'm like wtf is that shi....???  ;D

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/17/16 at 2:10 am

2001-2008.

Due to the fact that Nick Junior only launched in Australia in 2004 (a day after my 5th birthday), Nickelodeon used to air pre-school shows in the mornings, before the channel had launched (which is the reason why I was watching Nickelodeon at such a young age). To be honest, I never watched anything on Nick Jnr, because I had outgrown pre-school shows by the time it had launched.

Written By: KatanaChick on 10/17/16 at 8:03 am

From probably preschool age throughout elementary. I switched to Cartoon Network by the time I was in jr. high. The shows on that channel were more worth it by the time.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/17/16 at 10:56 am

2004-2010 for me. I didn't really like it after they changed their logo. 2002 and 2003 doesn't really count to me, since I mostly watched Nick Jr. at the time.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/17/16 at 12:03 pm

From very late 1998 until mid 2007.
When Ned's Declassified, Drake and Josh, and Danny Phantom ended,and Icarly premiered.That was it for me.

Written By: mqg96 on 10/17/16 at 10:28 pm

core nostalgia years: 2001-2006

late years: 2007-2008

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/17/16 at 11:35 pm

I watched Nickelodeon for the first time around 1991 or so, but only at daycare and in the form of early Nick Jr. shows like Eureka's Castle, David the Gnome and Fred Penner's Place because my parents did not yet have cable at the time.

I would say that my Nickelodeon watching didn't begin in earnest until 1994, when my parents finally got cable, because up to that point I was only really able to watch the channel if I was staying over at a friends house or something. I watched Nick pretty much religiously every single day from Summer 1994 until early 1999, which is when I began to shift more towards Cartoon Network as my kid channel of choice.

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/18/16 at 5:12 pm

1994 to 2007 or '08. The first Nick show I remember actually watching was "All That".

Written By: mqg96 on 10/18/16 at 5:35 pm

I would say that my Nickelodeon watching didn't begin in earnest until 1994, when my parents finally got cable, because up to that point I was only really able to watch the channel if I was staying over at a friends house or something. I watched Nick pretty much religiously every single day from Summer 1994 until early 1999, which is when I began to shift more towards Cartoon Network as my kid channel of choice.

When it comes to your history and age range of watching Nickelodeon, that's almost identical to my Disney Channel watching years, except I stopped in early 2007 when I was 11 instead of Nickelodeon in early 1999 when you were 12. Summer 2003 is when I began watching Disney Channel religiously on a weekly basis, but from 1999-2002 I only watched Disney Channel sometimes for Playhouse Disney or Zoog Disney on rare occasions, which were more vague memories. 

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/18/16 at 6:05 pm

When it comes to your history and age range of watching Nickelodeon, that's almost identical to my Disney Channel watching years, except I stopped in early 2007 when I was 11 instead of Nickelodeon in early 1999 when you were 12. Summer 2003 is when I began watching Disney Channel religiously on a weekly basis, but from 1999-2002 I only watched Disney Channel sometimes for Playhouse Disney or Zoog Disney on rare occasions, which were more vague memories.

It seems like that towards me, when I used to watch Nickelodeon sometimes for Nick Jr. shows as a toddler. I got more into it when I was in Kindergarten (2004-05 school year), when I started to watch Spongebob and Fairy Odd Parents often. Even though this used to be the time where I still watched PBS Kids, Nick Jr, Playhouse Disney, and some other educational blocks until 2006/early 2007 (yeah, I quit a bit late on them).

Written By: mqg96 on 10/24/16 at 12:48 am

I agree. Fairly Odd Parents was one of those Nicktoons from the early '00s that I felt, at the time, were a sign of the channel "going downhill". I've never really been a big fan of the show, but I was also not really watching cartoons all that much anymore by late 2001, so that could be a reason.

Going to move our conversation over here. In response to me saying Fairly Odd Parents hasn't aged well, the nicktoons from my childhood that have aged well IMO are Hey Arnold, Avatar The Last Airbender, Spongebob Squarepants (seasons 1-3), Invader Zim, and Danny Phantom. I think Hey Arnold and Avatar The Last Airbender have aged the best out of all I listed though. Even shows like Rugrats/All Grown Up, CatDog, and Jimmy Neutron haven't aged well for me personally. Rugrats and CatDog because of its overly childish humor, and Jimmy Neutron because while former still applies but just a little the CGI animation would be a turnoff for me now.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/25/16 at 12:09 am

Going to move our conversation over here. In response to me saying Fairly Odd Parents hasn't aged well, the nicktoons from my childhood that have aged well IMO are Hey Arnold, Avatar The Last Airbender, Spongebob Squarepants (seasons 1-3), Invader Zim, and Danny Phantom. I think Hey Arnold and Avatar The Last Airbender have aged the best out of all I listed though. Even shows like Rugrats/All Grown Up, CatDog, and Jimmy Neutron haven't aged well for me personally. Rugrats and CatDog because of its overly childish humor, and Jimmy Neutron because while former still applies but just a little the CGI animation would be a turnoff for me now.

Totally agree about Hey Arnold. I have said before (perhaps controversially) that Hey Arnold could arguably be the best Nicktoon of all-time. I also consider Hey Arnold to be a part of my childhood as well, since I was only 9 when the show made it's debut. Same with Invader Zim and the first few seasons of Spongebob, since both those shows aired during the very tail end of my Nick watching years.

I still love Rugrats (at least the 1991-97 portion), but I agree about CatDog. I've seen some episodes of that show recently, and the humor definitely doesn't hold up all that well to me when I watch it now. Also, there's quite a few Nick live-action shows that I watched as a kid that seem positively horrendous looking back on them now as an adult. In particular, Hey Dude, Clarissa Explains it All and My Brother and Me have all aged rather badly and reek of '90s cheese. I'll still defend The Adventures of Pete & Pete, though. In some ways, that show seems even better now than it did back then as a kid.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/25/16 at 5:50 am

Totally agree about Hey Arnold. I have said before (perhaps controversially) that Hey Arnold could arguably be the best Nicktoon of all-time. I also consider Hey Arnold to be a part of my childhood as well, since I was only 9 when the show made it's debut. Same with Invader Zim and the first few seasons of Spongebob, since both those shows aired during the very tail end of my Nick watching years.

I still love Rugrats (at least the 1991-97 portion), but I agree about CatDog. I've seen some episodes of that show recently, and the humor definitely doesn't hold up all that well to me when I watch it now. Also, there's quite a few Nick live-action shows that I watched as a kid that seem positively horrendous looking back on them now as an adult. In particular, Hey Dude, Clarissa Explains it All and My Brother and Me have all aged rather badly and reek of '90s cheese. I'll still defend The Adventures of Pete & Pete, though. In some ways, that show seems even better now than it did back then as a kid.

Most of the shows that Nickelodeon had during the 90s were rather overrated, and most of them were liked just because of nostalgia. That's what I feel like every time these people like 90s Nicktoons and Nick's live-action shows.

Check for new replies or respond here...