inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Generation Y

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/03/13 at 3:55 pm

Are you part of generation y if you were a teen and went to high school in the late 90s/00s/early 10s?

I was just wondering.

Subject: Re: Generation Y

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/03/13 at 4:42 pm

Are you part of generation y if you were a teen and went to high school in the late 90s/00s/early 10s?

I was just wondering.

Not early 10s. I would agree about the adult teen years in this era though.
You should have been at least 18 by 2010 IMO.

Written By: amjikloviet on 12/03/13 at 4:45 pm

Hmm...am I?. I never think about these things, but there have have a number of topics about it here in the past. I personally don't like all the labeling people with the generations. But who's going to listen to me, lol. Anyway, I started high school in September 1994 and graduated high school in June 1998. So, I don't know if that makes me part of the generation you are talking about. And...I'll just leave it at that! lol.

Written By: gibbo on 12/03/13 at 5:01 pm

Generation Y ... As in Y were they born?  :D

Written By: whistledog on 12/03/13 at 5:50 pm

Generation Y ... As in Y were they born?  :D

Where is Generation M C and A :D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/03/13 at 6:23 pm

that means, by your opinion, the latest would be 1992

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/03/13 at 6:27 pm

Hmm...am I?. I never think about these things, but there have have a number of topics about it here in the past. I personally don't like all the labeling people with the generations. But who's going to listen to me, lol. Anyway, I started high school in September 1994 and graduated high school in June 1998. So, I don't know if that makes me part of the generation you are talking about. And...I'll just leave it at that! lol.
That means you were born in 1980, which I've been hearing about that people born in 1980 are both X and Y, but no one has came to a conclusion.

Written By: XYkid on 12/03/13 at 6:47 pm

Hell no! I was born in 1994 and I'm a Y all the way.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/03/13 at 6:48 pm

1980 to 1996/1997.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/03/13 at 7:13 pm

you should be since you became a teen in 2007, started high school in 2008 and graduated in 2012.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/03/13 at 7:17 pm

1980 to 1996/1997.
I've been hearing about that it started from the late 70s/early 80s and ends around the mid/late 90s/early 00s, but there hasn't been an answer for it yet.

Written By: whistledog on 12/03/13 at 7:59 pm

That means you were born in 1980, which I've been hearing about that people born in 1980 are both X and Y, but no one has came to a conclusion.

If I get X, do I get the 5 square win?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/03/13 at 8:41 pm

If I get X, do I get the 5 square win?
hahaha.  I'm not sure.  What year were you born in?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/04/13 at 2:14 am

You may be what ever you want to be :)

Written By: Howard on 12/04/13 at 7:12 am

Where is Generation M C and A :D

;D

Written By: GenerationYMCA on 12/04/13 at 9:12 am

Why this stuff again?
Why do all these whining generation Y kids have to label every single thing? If you are born in 19XX, then you have to fall into a certain compartment. Bullsh!t. Useless dialogue and a waste of time by a whining emo generation that has NOTHINg to do with their LIVES. These putrid meaningless discussions are a waste of words and a waste of space on a website. Whenever I visit these boards, I see the same garbage spewed out.Go out, get a job, have kids, GET A LIFE already.

Written By: George on 12/04/13 at 10:27 pm

No, you're Z. Generation Y are now in their 20s or 30s.

Written By: XYkid on 12/04/13 at 11:02 pm

I'll call myself whatever I please, thank you.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/05/13 at 3:12 pm

Can you give your opinion on why people born in the mid 90s and late 90s are generation Z?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/05/13 at 4:39 pm

Can you give your opinion on why people born in the mid 90s and late 90s are generation Z?

My opinion is that members of Gen Y clearly have to remember the cultural shift from an analog oriented society to the information society. This took place within the 90s. Members of Gen Y were still young (under 18) at this time, but beyond little kid age.

Seriously, how would somebody born in 1997 remember this?

Written By: XYkid on 12/05/13 at 5:22 pm

My opinion is that members of Gen Y clearly have to remember the cultural shift from an analog oriented society to the information society. This took place within the 90s. Members of Gen Y were still young (under 18) at this time, but beyond little kid age.

I was born in 1994 and I still remember the days when people had to manually set their clocks for Daylight Savings. Even though the internet was fairly strong in the late 90s, it wasn't nearly as available as it is today or even five years after that. While iPods existed in 2002, they weren't common until about 2004 at the earliest. Just like iPhones weren't extremely common until a couple years ago, despite coming out in 2007.
I guess I'm sort of in between, but I'm not ignorant when it comes to analogue technology like a lot of those that are only a couple of years younger than me.
My little cousin was born late in 2004, and he watches youtube videos on his iPad and his mum's iPhone, both of those things were only dreams when I was his age, and I was his age only 10 years ago. He looked at me like I was crazy when I told him that iPhones and Youtube didn't exist yet when he was born, just shows you how far we've come.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/05/13 at 5:59 pm

Not only did the 90s go through the analog society,  so did most of the 00s. In the early 00s, there was not much social media,  except for AOL.  There were no smartphones yet. People were still using cd players, mp3s and walkmans. Ipods weren't popular until about 2006/2007. People were also still using standard, flip, and sliding cellphones in the early-mid 00s. Not only that,  also video game consoles didn't have the motion sensor until the wii came out, which was 2006. So a person born in 1997 could remember those times.

Written By: warped on 12/05/13 at 6:10 pm

Why this stuff again?
Why do all these whining generation Y kids have to label every single thing? If you are born in 19XX, then you have to fall into a certain compartment. Bullsh!t. Useless dialogue and a waste of time by a whining emo generation that has NOTHINg to do with their LIVES. These putrid meaningless discussions are a waste of words and a waste of space on a website. Whenever I visit these boards, I see the same garbage spewed out.Go out, get a job, have kids, GET A LIFE already.

Wish I could give you karma.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/05/13 at 6:28 pm

Not only did the 90s go through the analog society,  so did most of the 00s. In the early 00s, there was not much social media,  except for AOL.  There were no smartphones yet.

And there is the difference between us (and probably between Z and Y - no offence ;) ). You already consider a time before social media and smartphones the 'good old time'. As for me, I still consider even E-Mail or simple browsing on the net 'new technology'. Even though smartphones or smartphone apps like we have today didn't exist in 2003 - technically we were able to use similar programs on desktop PCs 10 years ago. That was not the case in 1993.

The analog era was when computers weren't involved in daily life at all in most families and when books or TV were the most common source for information.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/05/13 at 7:02 pm

And there is the difference between us (and probably between Z and Y - no offence ;) ). You already consider a time before social media and smartphones the 'good old time'. As for me, I still consider even E-Mail or simple browsing on the net 'new technology'. Even though smartphones or smartphone apps like we have today didn't exist in 2003 - technically we were able to use similar programs on desktop PCs 10 years ago. That was not the case in 1993.

The analog era was when computers weren't involved in daily life at all in most families and when books or TV were the most common source for information.
I see what you are saying,  but its just that not everyone during both decades had a pc. I remember the analog era, but not much. In the late 90s/early 00s, my family had a desktop,  but I wasn't using it for information or the Internet.  I was using it for games like Carmen sandiego, readers rabbit, space 3d pinball, solitaire, minesweeper, and painting. I also remember dial-up, then in 2006, my family got broadband,  then in 2010, my sister and a few cousins got wifi.

Also, I had a case of encyclopedias that I was using to build forts with. Some people in general need to remember that in the 00s, we didn't have much technology. All the technology we have now, didn't exist much.  Another thing, schools weren't using much technology during most of the 00s except desktops, TVs, vhs/dvd players, and overheads.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/06/13 at 4:22 am

I see what you are saying,  but its just that not everyone during both decades had a pc.

From what I have experienced: If you hadn't a PC/internet in the (earlier) 00s and you were a teen or older, you were dependant on other people who had one.

Also, I had a case of encyclopedias that I was using to build forts with.

Well, only having something which is already outdated does not mean that you are automatically part of a generation that was dependant on it. I was collecting records in the 00s, but I still feel not connected to the 1930s ;)

Some people in general need to remember that in the 00s, we didn't have much technology.

In my opinion, we cetainly had. See my last answer from yesterday. Technically I just don't see much difference between looking something up/using a program on a smartphone and using a desktop computer with internet. However I see a hugh difference between looking something up in a ibrary and browsing the internet in general. Same goes for letters: Writing a message via facebook or whatsapp is not much differnet from E-Mail, but it is worlds apart from writing paper letters (very common in Europe in the 90s).

Written By: gibbo on 12/06/13 at 5:01 am

Why this stuff again?

Wish I could give you karma.

Haha  ... spot on!  ;D  I'm guessing they have a quota of words that must be used up each day and this fills that bill (sort of like women)!  :P

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/06/13 at 8:56 am

From what I have experienced: If you hadn't a PC/internet in the (earlier) 00s and you were a teen or older, you were dependant on other people who had one.

Well, only having something which is already outdated does not mean that you are automatically part of a generation that was dependant on it. I was collecting records in the 00s, but I still feel not connected to the 1930s ;)

In my opinion, we cetainly had. See my last answer from yesterday. Technically I just don't see much difference between looking something up/using a program on a smartphone and using a desktop computer with internet. However I see a hugh difference between looking something up in a ibrary and browsing the internet in general. Same goes for letters: Writing a message via facebook or whatsapp is not much differnet from E-Mail, but it is worlds apart from writing paper letters (very common in Europe in the 90s).
that's what everyone used to do. before texting,  people were always writing letters to friends, family and their lovers. Applications used to be filled out on paper. Now it's mostly online. Everyone, like you said, used to look things up at a library, now it also online. Email is a little different from Facebook because at least everyone had an email and not everyone has a Facebook. Also, others can check your messages by looking at your wall, but they can't check your messages on your email.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/06/13 at 12:25 pm

that's what everyone used to do. before texting,  people were always writing letters to friends, family and their lovers. Applications used to be filled out on paper.

Yes, in the 90s.

Just watch the graph on this site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Internet_usage

There you can see how relevant the net was already in the early 00s. According to this, the 'old world' I was talking about 'ended' around 1996.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/06/13 at 1:18 pm

Yes, in the 90s.

Just watch the graph on this site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Internet_usage

There you can see how relevant the net was already in the early 00s. According to this, the 'old world' I was talking about 'ended' around 1996.
It's talking about the whole world. It says in 2005, 84% worldwide was not using the internet and in america in 2005, it was only 36% using the internet. Thats under 50 percent. Which means during most of the 00s, the internet was not being used all the time, even worldwide.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/06/13 at 2:00 pm

and in america in 2005, it was only 36% using the internet.

It's "Americas", so North and South America which means that poorer countries are included.

If you look at the developed world, it was 51 % in 2005 and today it's 77 %. The difference is not that big.
However in 1997 it was only 11 % in the developed world...

Written By: warped on 12/06/13 at 2:07 pm

Haha  ... spot on!  ;D  I'm guessing they have a quota of words that must be used up each day and this fills that bill (sort of like women)!  :P

;D

bad, bad gibbo..

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/06/13 at 3:17 pm

It's "Americas", so North and South America which means that poorer countries are included.

If you look at the developed world, it was 51 % in 2005 and today it's 77 %. The difference is not that big.
However in 1997 it was only 11 % in the developed world...
My bad, I might have not seen the s at the end of americas. so what you're saying is that in the last 8 years, it went up by 26%? Also, since it was 51% in 2005, that means it was still under 50% during the first half of the 00s. That also means, lots of people were only using the internet for email, AOL, downloads/uploads, and information during that time.

Written By: Howard on 12/06/13 at 3:55 pm

that's what everyone used to do. before texting,  people were always writing letters to friends, family and their lovers. Applications used to be filled out on paper. Now it's mostly online. Everyone, like you said, used to look things up at a library, now it also online. Email is a little different from Facebook because at least everyone had an email and not everyone has a Facebook. Also, others can check your messages by looking at your wall, but they can't check your messages on your email.

back in the days when you could take a pen and paper and start writing.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/06/13 at 4:02 pm

back in the days when you could take a pen and paper and start writing.
And now it's done all online.

Written By: 19brandon90 on 12/06/13 at 5:21 pm

I think 1994 is the last full Generation Y year. People born in 1995 and on did not start elementary school until 2000 and on. I was born in December of 1990 and consider myself Generation Y. I started kindergarten in Fall of 1996. I graduated high school in 2009. I think the class of 2012 is the last class to be considered Generation Y. I do think people born in the last half of 1993 and first half of 1994 are the tail end of Gen Y and not "core Y."

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/06/13 at 6:31 pm

I think 1994 is the last full Generation Y year. People born in 1995 and on did not start elementary school until 2000 and on. I was born in December of 1990 and consider myself Generation Y. I started kindergarten in Fall of 1996. I graduated high school in 2009. I think the class of 2012 is the last class to be considered Generation Y. I do think people born in the last half of 1993 and first half of 1994 are the tail end of Gen Y and not "core Y."
would you consider people in generation z it they became a teen and/or started high school in the late 00s/early 10s?

Written By: George on 12/06/13 at 9:08 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_com_bubble

The dot com bubble peaked March 10, 2000. Someone born in 1994 was only 5/6. Nope, they're generation Z.

Written By: George on 12/06/13 at 9:09 pm

I'll call myself whatever I please, thank you.

Where I sit, you're Generation Z. You're also still a kid.

Written By: XYkid on 12/06/13 at 10:10 pm

Where I sit, you're Generation Z. You're also still a kid.
Enjoying your ban, Jeff?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/07/13 at 7:09 am

Enjoying your ban, Jeff?

What's your definition of Gen Y BTW - other than just picking HS graduation years ? :)

Written By: 19brandon90 on 12/07/13 at 9:01 am

would you consider people in generation z it they became a teen and/or started high school in the late 00s/early 10s?
I think Gen Y had to start elementary/kindergarten before the year 2000. Also they have to be able to remember september 11, 2001. That was a huge event for our generation (in America) because things changed from the happy 90s to the war and paranoia of 2001-2004. As far as technology goes, they should remember using dial-up, floppy disks, watching VHS tapes and a time before social networks. I think anyone that spent most of their teenage years in the 00's are Gen Y. Those born in 1995 didn't become teenagers until 2008 and spent all of high school in the 2010's. The 00's were the Gen Y teen years.

Written By: XYkid on 12/07/13 at 10:10 am

I think Gen Y had to start elementary/kindergarten before the year 2000. Also they have to be able to remember september 11, 2001. That was a huge event for our generation (in America) because things changed from the happy 90s to the war and paranoia of 2001-2004. As far as technology goes, they should remember using dial-up, floppy disks, watching VHS tapes and a time before social networks. I think anyone that spent most of their teenage years in the 00's are Gen Y. Those born in 1995 didn't become teenagers until 2008 and spent all of high school in the 2010's. The 00's were the Gen Y teen years.
Yeah, I was born in March 1994 and all of those apply to me. My teen years are sort of split between this decade and the previous one, but I still remember a lot of things from 90s and 00s youth/teen culture from my older cousins. So to answer your question Inland, what Brandon said basically summed it up.
And I actually remember the Dotcom bubble quite clearly, especially since my dad works as a computer programmer and was deeply affected by the bubble bust, as were many tech companies throughout the country.

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/07/13 at 12:41 pm

removed some posts, this is just turned into more decadaology crap, topic locked

Check for new replies or respond here...