inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When Did You Stop Beleiving In Santa?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/04/13 at 5:48 pm

http://www.queenofpromotionalproducts.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/santa-small-format-299x299.jpg

Hey Y’all!

Christmas is exactly three weeks away. And what I wanted to know was, how old were you when you found out Santa Claus wasn’t real?
I found out Christmas Eve of 1991, when I was five. I passed through the living room to go to the bathroom and there was Mom on the carpet, doing her BEST to assemble my 65 dollar Barbie motor home. (The pink one, I got the white one 2 years later) She was upset because right then I knew SHE bought my gifts and not an old guy in red velvet pajamas. It was funny being the only kindergartner not believing and for years my Mom had to whisper to me NOT to tell the other children and spoil it for them. (I told anyway and a few cried, and a few mothers were pissed and I didn’t care.  ::) )

Well, when did you give up the SC?

Subject: Re: When Did You Stop Beleiving In Santa?

Written By: warped on 12/04/13 at 5:55 pm

You mean.....he's not real????  :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6cxw33iVf1rzv1rxo1_500.gif

What the.... ???

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md3o6aXW941r5vpk0o1_500.jpg

:D

Written By: Inertia on 12/04/13 at 6:01 pm

I know I found out earlier than most people because I remember informing some of my more obnoxious classmates in elementary school he did not exist. While I cannot gauge an exact year it occurred, I would say I discovered he did not exist around the age of seven. My sister and I wanted some of our games off the top shelf in the closet. Instead, we accidentally grabbed a box full of the gifts we usually received for Easter. We confronted our mom about it and point blank asked her if the Easter bunny existed. She told us no and that Santa Claus is fictional too.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/04/13 at 6:06 pm

What the.... ???

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s78/AL-B_photos/arrrrrgh.gif

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/04/13 at 6:12 pm

I still believe in Santa Claus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aevy8jIBZmM

Cat

Written By: XYkid on 12/04/13 at 6:16 pm

I still kind of like to believe in Santa, because part of me likes to keep that child like innocence.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/04/13 at 7:00 pm

This is actually something I grapple with now. I do want to be a mother one day and keep wondering when I should tell my child Santa isn't real.

(especially if Mommy will be working long hours to buy you those Barbies or Hot Wheels, or whatever.)

Written By: Howard on 12/04/13 at 8:06 pm

What the.... ???

;D

Written By: Howard on 12/04/13 at 8:07 pm

I never believed in Santa Claus.

Written By: whistledog on 12/04/13 at 8:49 pm

... when I witnessed my mom putting the gifts under the tree

Written By: 80sfan on 12/04/13 at 10:56 pm

When I was 20.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/04/13 at 11:22 pm

When I was 20.

Please be kidding.  :o

Written By: Step-chan on 12/05/13 at 12:03 am

I don't remember when exactly, but it was before my teen years.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/05/13 at 12:25 am

Please be kidding.  :o

Yes I am kidding.  ;D

It was more like 12. Still late, but no, not 20.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/05/13 at 2:48 am

I cannot remember when, but I must had been a child then.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 12/06/13 at 11:50 pm

I was 10. I'm not sure if that's late or average, lol.

I remember asking my mom in the car on the way home from soccer practice and she revealed the truth. I cried ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 12/07/13 at 2:57 am

I was 10. I'm not sure if that's late or average, lol.

I remember asking my mom in the car on the way home from soccer practice and she revealed the truth. I cried ;D

Average is about between 8 to 10. Based on my gut feeling.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/07/13 at 3:16 am

Did I ever?

I think I must have been around 7/8... 1993?  ;D

A (fake) Santa came to our family in 1990. That was the only time I saw him carrying the presents. My parents ordered him somewhere ;)

Written By: gumbypiz on 12/07/13 at 1:15 pm

When I walked into my parents master bathroom and opened the shower door to find a bunch of the toys that I had wanted and sent letters to for Santa (I was about 10)...instantly my heart jumped, and then dropped when I realized what this discovery meant.

Such a strange feeling of elation and sadness at the same time, I'll never forget that, part of my childhood died that day...

Don't ask me what my parents were doing for showers, I wondered about that for a while... ::)

Written By: George on 12/07/13 at 1:52 pm

In general, belief in Santa probably lasted longer for those of Generation Y than Generation Z.

Someone in Generation Y (say, 1987) spent their childhood actually being a kid. In the 2000s, when someone born in 1994 was a kid, kids started wanting to grow up too fast and therefore learned the truth about Santa at an earlier age.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 12/07/13 at 2:39 pm

I was 13 when I stopped believing in Santa.

Written By: Howard on 12/07/13 at 4:07 pm

Did Virginia believe there was a Santa Claus?

Written By: robby76 on 12/08/13 at 6:21 am

I was about 7 or 8 yrs old. I remember getting my present and questioning why it was "made in China" and I suppose my family thought it was a good time to let me in on the whole thing. I was disappointed but held up okay.

Written By: aja675 on 12/08/13 at 7:05 am

I don't know when. I've been a believer in science even when I was young, so maybe around 7.

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/09/13 at 9:55 pm

I kinda wish I remembered when/how I figured it out.  I don't think my parents and I ever talked about it.  I remember trying to stay awake all night and failing every damn year even after I figured it out.  Next time I'm back home, I'll have to ask 'em when I realized the shocking horrible truth :)

Written By: Katluver on 12/15/13 at 5:44 pm

I stopped believing him when I was 9 after I witnessed a boy in class being ridiculed for believing that the Santa from the mall was real. After that incident, I wondered if Santa existed at all and went around asking my family if he existed. My doubts were confirmed when my older brother told me while we were going through our stockings that it was ridiculous that our mom still  wrote "From Santa" when he was 15. Of course when I stopped believing in Santa, my beliefs in the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy followed suit.

Written By: karen on 12/16/13 at 7:06 am

When I was about 4 or 5.

My eldest brother went downstairs to see if Santa had been yet and he saw dad setting up a train set and mum putting the other presents out.  He told my other brother who then told me.  Mum and dad tried to deny it for a few years (even getting soot around one of the fires one year) and we spent several years setting up traps that would wake us up when mum/dad came into our rooms to leave our stockings.  Never worked though.

Written By: Henk on 12/16/13 at 7:32 am

Santa Claus is a fraud Saint Nicholas. :P

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/04/17 at 6:50 am

I still believed in Santa until I was 15. I started to doubt his existence just after I had turned 13, but a part of me still wanted to hold onto the belief that Santa was real, because I have so many good childhood memories of the excitement of waiting for Christmas Day and opening up my presents from "Santa".

One day when I was 15, I decided to look at the Wikipedia article of Santa, just out of curiosity. When I read the first line in the opening paragraph, "Santa is a legendary figure", it felt as though a part of my childhood died at that very moment.

Written By: 2001 on 04/04/17 at 10:06 am

I never believed in Santa Claus.

Me neither. And I was a spoiled sport and ruined it for a lot of other people as well.  :-[

Written By: #Infinity on 04/04/17 at 10:11 am

I was 9 when my parents told me they bought me my GameCube for Christmas.

Written By: 2001 on 04/04/17 at 10:14 am

I still believed in Santa until I was 15. I started to doubt his existence just after I had turned 13, but a part of me still wanted to hold onto the belief that Santa was real, because I have so many good childhood memories of the excitement of waiting for Christmas Day and opening up my presents from "Santa".

One day when I was 15, I decided to look at the Wikipedia article of Santa, just out of curiosity. When I read the first line in the opening paragraph, "Santa is a legendary figure", it felt as though a part of my childhood died at that very moment.

Woah, that's really late! At 15, they made us debate whether God was real in my high school philosophy class, let alone Santa Claus ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 04/04/17 at 11:04 am

Age 20. That's what happens when you live under a rock.  :(

Written By: 2001 on 04/04/17 at 11:38 am

Age 20. That's what happens when you live under a rock.  :(

You already made this joke.  :-X

Written By: 80sfan on 04/04/17 at 11:50 am

You already made this joke.  :-X

I probably did. Too bad it's only half a joke, because the information is true!  :(

Written By: 80sfan on 04/04/17 at 11:52 am

Yes I am kidding.  ;D

It was more like 12. Still late, but no, not 20.

Yeah, I lied, it was 20, not 12. I just wanted to fit in.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 04/04/17 at 2:36 pm

I stopped believing in Santa a minute after I found out he was a thing. I was two years old, my mom told me about Santa, and it terrified me that he could see you while you were sleeping and knew all this stuff about you. Also scared me that he could get into everyone's houses. My mom told me he wasn't real when I was about to start crying, so I only believed in Santa for around 90 seconds. ;D

Written By: Howard on 04/04/17 at 3:29 pm

Me neither. And I was a spoiled sport and ruined it for a lot of other people as well.  :-[

For me growing up, I just wasn't into characters like Santa, The Easter Bunny or The Tooth Fairy, that was me.

Written By: 2001 on 04/04/17 at 4:33 pm

For me growing up, I just wasn't into characters like Santa, The Easter Bunny or The Tooth Fairy, that was me.

Me neither. I did believe in the Loch Ness Monster for a period of time though.  :-[

Written By: 2001 on 04/04/17 at 4:40 pm

Yeah, I lied, it was 20, not 12. I just wanted to fit in.

I don't believe you.  :-X

Written By: 80sfan on 04/04/17 at 4:44 pm

I don't believe you.  :-X

I think I have quite the imagination! Add to that childhood repression.  :o
I drank in a milk bottle until I was 4.
Come to think of it, maybe there were 'signs'...

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/04/17 at 5:07 pm

I think I was very young when I stopped caring about Santa Claus. I already knew that my parents were gonna get my Christmas presents, so I just pretended that he existed just for the spirit of it.

Written By: musicguy93 on 04/04/17 at 8:55 pm

I'd say around age 8 or 9. By that point in my childhood, the whole idea of Santa felt a bit babyish

Written By: 2001 on 04/04/17 at 8:58 pm

I think I have quite the imagination! Add to that childhood repression.  :o
I drank in a milk bottle until I was 4.
Come to think of it, maybe there were 'signs'...

I sucked on a pacifier until I was 5.  :-[

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/05/17 at 2:03 am

Woah, that's really late! At 15, they made us debate whether God was real in my high school philosophy class, let alone Santa Claus ;D

In retrospect, it is pretty late! I think it's just because I didn't want to destroy a part of my childhood. :P

Written By: Howard on 04/05/17 at 5:36 am

Me neither. I did believe in the Loch Ness Monster for a period of time though.  :-[

or The Yeti?

Written By: Howard on 04/05/17 at 5:37 am

I think I was very young when I stopped caring about Santa Claus. I already knew that my parents were gonna get my Christmas presents, so I just pretended that he existed just for the spirit of it.

He was just a figment of your imagination.

Written By: TheKid99 on 04/05/17 at 7:04 am

I was 10 years old actually lol.... my parents sat me down at Skyline Chilli(FAMOUS Chilli Parlor in Cincinnati, the World Capitol of Chilli! We have more Chilli parlors per captia than any other city in the world!) and made a big fuss about it by saying Santa and the Easter Bunny were not real.... I was just like mmkk.... no biggie. Lol.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/05/17 at 3:25 pm

Who cares about Santa Claws?? It's Bloody Mary that it's all about! I still believe in her! I won't yell her name three times in front of a mirror!  :-[  :-[  :o

Written By: 2001 on 04/05/17 at 3:33 pm

Who cares about Santa Claws?? It's Bloody Mary that it's all about! I still believe in her! I won't yell her name three times in front of a mirror!  :-[  :-[  :o

I actually do believe in her.... because she is real. :P

Written By: 80sfan on 04/05/17 at 3:35 pm

Oh no!  :o  Don't turn the lights off!

Written By: 2001 on 04/05/17 at 3:39 pm

Oh no!  :o

I just realized you guys don't learn about the British Monarchy in school, because you don't have a queen.  :o

This is Bloody Mary

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6e/Maria_Tudor1.jpg/800px-Maria_Tudor1.jpg

She was Queen of England from 1553 to 1558. She was Catholic but her subjects were largely Protestant. She married Phillip of Spain (also Cathloic) who encouraged her to come down hard on Protestants. She had a lot of them hanged or burned alive, and for that she earned the nickname "Bloody Mary". :o

Written By: annimal on 04/05/17 at 3:53 pm

:DAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  A killer queen Catholic Protestein

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 04/05/17 at 4:12 pm

I just realized you guys don't learn about the British Monarchy in school, because you don't have a queen.  :o

This is Bloody Mary

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6e/Maria_Tudor1.jpg/800px-Maria_Tudor1.jpg

She was Queen of England from 1553 to 1558. She was Catholic but her subjects were largely Protestant. She married Phillip of Spain (also Cathloic) who encouraged her to come down hard on Protestants. She had a lot of them hanged or burned alive, and for that she earned the nickname "Bloody Mary". :o

You learn about British Monarchy in my school, we have a unit on it every few years and go ever it a bit each year.

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/05/17 at 4:15 pm

14. I know, very late.

Written By: annimal on 04/05/17 at 5:24 pm

I learned that he's real

Written By: Howard on 04/05/17 at 5:36 pm

Who's Bloody Mary? ???

Written By: 2001 on 04/05/17 at 8:20 pm

You learn about British Monarchy in my school, we have a unit on it every few years and go ever it a bit each year.

Oh; my bad. ;D

I learned that he's real

:o :o :o :o :o :o

Written By: annimal on 04/05/17 at 8:34 pm

Quote from: annimal on Today at 05:24:42 PM
I learned that he's real

Quote from: Slowpoke :o :o :o :o :o :o

a few years ago I

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/ericclapton104.shtml

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 04/05/17 at 8:37 pm

Oh; my bad. ;D

:o :o :o :o :o :o

You're good, I didn't find it offensive, lol. :)

Written By: 2001 on 04/05/17 at 8:49 pm

To be fair, there were sonar readings in Loch Ness alleged to be the Monster back in the 70s, that was larger than an ordinary school of fish or dolphins.

However, some argue that the sonar merely reflected off the other side of the loch and went back to the boat that was scanning it, thus causing them to mistake it for a monster. Considering sonar technology was primitive back then compared to how it is now.

That would still be a bad reason to believe in it, haha. I was really into it, though. I used to go on a website that had a webcam from Inverness overlooking the River Ness, hoping that Nessie will pop his head and I'll be there to see him. Delusional.  :-X

Written By: 80sfan on 04/05/17 at 8:57 pm

This is Bloody Mary

Did she bathe in virgin blood? Or am I getting this mistaken for something else?  :P

Written By: Howard on 04/06/17 at 5:28 am

That would still be a bad reason to believe in it, haha. I was really into it, though. I used to go on a website that had a webcam from Inverness overlooking the River Ness, hoping that Nessie will pop his head and I'll be there to see him. Delusional.  :-X

Did you see him?

Written By: 2001 on 04/06/17 at 7:38 am

Did you see him?

Nope.  :-\\

Written By: Lizardmatum on 04/06/17 at 1:36 pm

I found out when I was 7 in 2003. I remember I was on holiday in England and was reading a kids magazine that my parents had bought me and in the magazine there was a a topic on Santa and it just said outright that he wasn't real and only a myth! Not very appropriate for a kids magazine if you ask me. I immediately questioned my parents and they said 'well what do you think?' but I just knew at that point.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/07/17 at 10:44 pm

Did she bathe in virgin blood? Or am I getting this mistaken for something else?  :P

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/73/Elizabeth_Bathory_Portrait.jpg/462px-Elizabeth_Bathory_Portrait.jpg

You're confusing her for Countess Elizabeth Bathory, who lived in Hungary from 1560-1614.  The Countess had... shall we say, some issues.  But she inspired some creepy techno-industrial. 

wdmHk5n6K2c

"She believed human blood was the elixir of youth ... and she bit them everywhere"

VAcz7aS_Dl0

Samples were from the 1971 Belgian horror flick "Daughters of Darkness" (aka "Les Levres Rouges" / "The Red Lips")

Written By: 80sfan on 04/07/17 at 11:03 pm

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/73/Elizabeth_Bathory_Portrait.jpg/462px-Elizabeth_Bathory_Portrait.jpg

You're confusing her for Countess Elizabeth Bathory, who lived in Hungary from 1560-1614.  The Countess had... shall we say, some issues.  But she inspired some creepy techno-industrial. 

wdmHk5n6K2c

"She believed human blood was the elixir of youth ... and she bit them everywhere"

VAcz7aS_Dl0

Samples were from the 1971 Belgian horror flick "Daughters of Darkness" (aka "Les Levres Rouges" / "The Red Lips")

Yes, issues such as being a psychopath. But there are rumors envious and jealous rivals made up this story to make her look evil and crazy. So we'll never know the full story.  :D

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/08/17 at 10:26 am

You'll be shocked if I said this, but I never actually believed in Santa.

Written By: annimal on 04/08/17 at 10:29 am

:o :o :o :o :o

Written By: Howard on 04/08/17 at 5:10 pm

You'll be shocked if I said this, but I never actually believed in Santa.

Why was that? ???

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/08/17 at 5:51 pm

Why was that? ???

Because I was never "really" told about Santa by my family and I knew that my family members gave the gifts to me as presents.

Check for new replies or respond here...