inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Paying with cash...

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 12/09/13 at 9:58 pm

Do you think it's way more common now to pay with a card vs. paying with cash than it was say, 10 years ago? 20 years ago? 30+ years ago? I'm not even talking about buying online, but at a store, restaurant, etc.

Does anyone here work as a cashier? What's the ratio of card payers to cash payers?

Dare I ask, do you think paper money/coins will ever be completely phased out of society?

Subject: Re: Paying with cash...

Written By: Step-chan on 12/09/13 at 10:22 pm

I'm not a cashier, but I do bag.

As for the ratio, it's hard to say.

A lot do use cards, but a good amount still use cash or checks.

Heck, I still use cash. The only times I really use my card is draw money from ATMs.

Written By: whistledog on 12/09/13 at 11:34 pm

30 years ago, there were three options:  Cash, credit card or if the store would let you pay by a check.  It's almost all debit now.  Whenever I go to Best Buy, the clerk ALWAYS asks me if I am paying by credit or debit as they usually just have 1 cashier who can only do cash

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/10/13 at 12:24 am

The typical German hates cards. In Germany it is still the case that the majority pays with cash - even larger amounts up to 500 - 1000 EUR. Technically you can pay at least with a debit card everywhere, a lot of stores also accept credit cards, but it's not as common as in the US. I prefer paying with cards though. It's much easier to handle and I don't like to carry too much cash with me.

I think, cash will still last very long. Just think of personal transactions between friends. How weird would it be that everybody has a card reader at home ;)

Written By: Howard on 12/10/13 at 7:50 am

30 years ago people paid with cash and now with doing things online, you can have that option if you wanted to.

Written By: warped on 12/10/13 at 7:53 am

I pay mostly with credit card (I get points on it if I do) and sometimes by cash when credit cards aren't accepted. I rarely use debit.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/10/13 at 8:27 am

I pay mostly with credit card (I get points on it if I do) and sometimes by cash when credit cards aren't accepted. I rarely use debit.

This is how I run my debit card.  I get points when I use it as credit.  Just about the only time I use cash is when I go to Sonic to get my cup of ice.  It seems silly to use a card for $.27. ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/10/13 at 8:37 am

I pay with credit cards only with clothes or any other purchase besides food.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 12/10/13 at 2:27 pm

I have a theory that perhaps in the next century or so, even the card will be phased out and people will use their finger print to make transactions.

Edit: Actually I just did a quick Google search and it looks like this is already a thing! Or about to be.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/10/13 at 2:32 pm

I have a theory that perhaps in the next century or so, even the card will be phased out and people will use their finger print to make transactions.

Edit: Actually I just did a quick Google search and it looks like this is already a thing! Or about to be.
With microchips under the fingernails?

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 12/10/13 at 2:58 pm

I didn't click any of the links, I just read the article titles, but I assumed they would just have some sort of scanner that could read your finger print which would be linked to your bank account.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/10/13 at 3:58 pm

I have a bunch of credit cards but usually only use 2 of them-my Discover for my Amazon purchases & my Visa for everything else. I NEVER use a debit card. I do use cash from time to time-it depends on how long it has been since I went to the ATM. Somethings I do write checks-like for my acupuncturist or my cleaning lady.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 12/10/13 at 4:41 pm

I think we're all going to pay for things via computer like sending checks and credit card bills that were paid. Like in the Chase commercial you can send a check via your iPhone, make a copy of it by taking a photo of it and send it thru.

Written By: Howard on 12/10/13 at 4:43 pm

I have a bunch of credit cards but usually only use 2 of them-my Discover for my Amazon purchases & my Visa for everything else. I NEVER use a debit card. I do use cash from time to time-it depends on how long it has been since I went to the ATM. Somethings I do write checks-like for my acupuncturist or my cleaning lady.

Cat

I have a credit card, Modells, CVS, Pathmark and an ATM Card.

Written By: Paul on 12/11/13 at 7:47 am

Just think of personal transactions between friends. How weird would it be that everybody has a card reader at home ;)

This is possible right now - not with card readers, but you can 'pay' someone (friend or not) via a smartphone app...

Personally, I still like the folding stuff, but I haven't written a cheque in years!

Written By: amjikloviet on 12/11/13 at 7:58 am

I hope not :( I'm not putting any microchips in my body..

Written By: Howard on 12/11/13 at 8:13 pm

I think a credit card is better than cash so that you don't have to carry so much in your wallet.

Written By: whistledog on 12/12/13 at 2:20 pm

I always pay with cash.  Your mom won't accept any other type of payment :D

Written By: Howard on 12/12/13 at 3:08 pm

I always pay with cash.  Your mom won't accept any other type of payment :D

good one Scott!  ;D

quite clever.

Written By: Howard on 12/12/13 at 3:09 pm

You can also pay with gift cards.

Written By: whistledog on 12/12/13 at 4:43 pm

good one Scott!  ;D

Thanks Bob!

Check for new replies or respond here...