inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Greatest Celebrity Comebacks

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/18/13 at 2:47 pm

We talked about celebrity downfalls-how about comebacks?

-In 1984, Cher had a BIG comeback. She appeared in the movie Silkwood. I heard that when her name first flashed on the screen in the opening credits, people laughed. At the end of the movie, they were not laughing. In fact, she won an Oscar nom. (It wasn't until 1988 when she won the Oscar for Moonstruck).

http://www.nytimes.com/1984/01/07/arts/cher-hoping-silkwood-is-her-turning-point.html

-In 1985, Tina Turner made a HUGE comeback after she was finally able to get rid of Ike. Overcoming the pain of abuse takes a lot of strength. I admire her GREATLY!!!

-Mackenzie Phillips. She has made a tremendous comeback from her addiction. Another one I admire. I just hope she can continue to stay clean.

Who else?

Cat

Subject: Re: Greatest Celebrity Comebacks

Written By: gibbo on 12/18/13 at 4:17 pm

On a less than personal note .... The Eagles made a come back of sorts (after 15 years apart) and Cat Stevens started playing 'western' style music only a few years back after a couple of decades away from it.

I think Robert Downey Jr made a huge comeback from his drug addled lifestyle.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/18/13 at 5:28 pm

On a less than personal note .... The Eagles made a come back of sorts (after 15 years apart) and Cat Stevens started playing 'western' style music only a few years back after a couple of decades away from it.

I think Robert Downey Jr made a huge comeback from his drug addled lifestyle.

Right after I hit "post" I thought about him.

Cat

Written By: warped on 12/18/13 at 5:59 pm

Great choices.

I was also thinking of Mickey Rourke, who was so popular in the early to mid 1980s, left acting for awhile and came back to stardom with "The Wrestler".

And John Travolta, who was more popular than just about anyone in 1977 and 1978, kinda disappeared and got noticed again in the "Look who's talking films" and went back into the limelight with Pulp Fiction...

Written By: snozberries on 12/18/13 at 9:34 pm

Cher did do a phenomenal job in Silkwood... and Mask! But before both of those I thought (not that it marked her comeback) I thought she was really good in Come Back to the Five & Dime Jimmy Dean (I wish that would come out on DVD)

John Travolta I mean he never really stopped working but he was making some pretty shytty movies until he got cast in Pulp Fiction.  (warped beat me to this one)

I'm just gonna say it... Britany Spears... she was done after her head shaving hoochie flashing meltdown but she really impressed me on X Factor a season or two ago.

Someone said Robert Downey Jr...good choice...  Also Charlie Sheen, despite his crap, has a hit TV show (Anger Management) on the air...

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 12/18/13 at 11:02 pm

http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_resize/sws_path/suns-prod-images/1297305424343_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x

Platinum Blonde, who was popular from 1982-1989, made a tremendous comeback in 2008.  They lost Kenny MacLean that year and they put Rob Laidlaw in his place.  And they put Dan Todd in Chris Steffler's place after he was bogged down with tinnitus in 2012.  :)

Written By: snozberries on 12/18/13 at 11:06 pm

Platinum Blonde? Never heard of them...  :-\\

Written By: XYkid on 12/18/13 at 11:07 pm

They're a Canadian band who were a one hit wonder in the US.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 12/18/13 at 11:09 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=48732.msg3108391#new

<=================

Written By: whistledog on 12/18/13 at 11:36 pm

Platinum Blonde, who was popular from 1982-1989, made a tremendous comeback in 2008

Don't know about tremendous, but it was an attempt to comeback.  The Now and Never album from 2012 failed to chart and produced no singles that charted.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 12/19/13 at 12:06 am

Don't know about tremendous, but it was an attempt to comeback.  The Now and Never album from 2012 failed to chart and produced no singles that charted.

That may be true but 2008 is when Mark and the others made the decision to come back together until they lost Chris Steffler.  Kenny was the reason why Mark, Sergio, and Chris decided to get back together in the first place.  In fact Kenny was the one who spearheaded the initative to get Platinum Blonde back together telling Mark that "music doesn't have to have rock stars."

In fact the hard copy of Now & Never sold out in every store across the country when the album first hit stores and the record label had never seen this before.  :) In fact Fontana Records, their label, was completely sold out of Now & Never and they had to print off more copies of it.  So it wasn't a complete and total flop.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/19/13 at 5:39 am

I vote Cher AGAIN, but this time for her music career.

Her 1998 album Believe sold like 13-14 million copies worldwide. From 1991/92 to 1998 she kind of took some time off, or her singles weren't hits, but with this album, she came back like a rocket!

I also pick Elvis Presley, his 1968 comeback was awesome, and his music sales bounced back after stagnating for about two or three years before. One of the best comebacks in entertainment history in my opinion.

http://lisawallerrogers.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/elvis-in-black-1968.jpg

Written By: 80sfan on 12/19/13 at 5:42 am

Another musician is Mariah Carey. Her 2005 album sold 5.9 million copies (you can tell I'm kind of OCD with numbers, eh?  ;D) in the US alone. This was after two or three disappointing albums or compilations albums in the early to mid 00s.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a6/Mariah_Carey_-_The_Emancipation_of_Mimi.jpg

Written By: Howard on 12/19/13 at 7:54 am

I vote Cher AGAIN, but this time for her music career.

Her 1998 album Believe sold like 13-14 million copies worldwide. From 1991/92 to 1998 she kind of took some time off, or her singles weren't hits, but with this album, she came back like a rocket!

I also pick Elvis Presley, his 1968 comeback was awesome, and his music sales bounced back after stagnating for about two or three years before. One of the best comebacks in entertainment history in my opinion.

Don't forget his 1973 concert. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-S3kflvYpPPs/UPGbFenkmLI/AAAAAAAAGoI/eLGcgtDJEFE/s1600/elvis_aloha.jpg

Written By: Howard on 12/19/13 at 7:58 am

Also Michael Jackson had some comebacks with his album in the late 1980's Bad and in the early 1990's Dangerous and 11 years later http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/98/Mjinvincible.jpg Invincible

Written By: 80sfan on 12/19/13 at 12:37 pm

Don't forget his 1973 concert. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-S3kflvYpPPs/UPGbFenkmLI/AAAAAAAAGoI/eLGcgtDJEFE/s1600/elvis_aloha.jpg

Is that his Hawaii televised program?

Written By: warped on 12/19/13 at 12:48 pm

John Lennon took a break from the music industry from 1975 to 1980, after his son Sean was born.
Then he came back with Double Fantasy in 1980.
Sadly, we all remembered what happened to him on Dec 8th, 1980.

Written By: warped on 12/19/13 at 12:53 pm

That is true. Good comeback.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/19/13 at 1:14 pm

John Lennon took a break from the music industry from 1975 to 1980, after his son Sean was born.

I heard the person that shot him wanted fame so the person shot someone famous, John Lennon. I also heard the man was unstable.

Written By: Howard on 12/19/13 at 2:37 pm

Is that his Hawaii televised program?

Yes it is, January of 1973.

Written By: Howard on 12/19/13 at 2:39 pm

If he hadn't gotten shot, We would've seen a farewell concert from him.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 12/19/13 at 3:49 pm

Yeah that asshole shot him and he's been trying to get out of jail.  But John's widow keeps writing to the parole board asking them not to parole him because that would put herself, Sean, Julian, and Julian's mother in peril. 
He won't ever be fit to reenter society no matter what he might say to get out.

Written By: gibbo on 12/19/13 at 4:37 pm

Being Christmas and all .... I believe Jesus made the greatest come back of all.    :)

Written By: 80sfan on 12/19/13 at 5:05 pm

Being Christmas and all .... I believe Jesus made the greatest come back of all.    :)

Maybe around Easter, when he rose from the dead 3 days later. Is that what you mean?  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 12/19/13 at 5:41 pm

Also Michael Jackson had some comebacks with his album in the late 1980's Bad and in the early 1990's Dangerous and 11 years later http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/98/Mjinvincible.jpg Invincible

Those weren't comebacks.  The closest he came to a comeback was the Invincible album in 2001 as there was a gap between 1996-2001 where he had no hits.  The ridiculous things he did in his personal life however sort of made up for that, so he was never really out of the spotlight.  You can't comeback if you never leave

Written By: whistledog on 12/19/13 at 5:54 pm

Tom Jones had a nice little comeback in 1988.  He teamed with the British group Art of Noise to record a cover of the 1986 Prince song Kiss and it became his first Top 40 hit in North America since Say You'll Stay Until Tomorrow in 1977

I don't like the song Kiss by Prince.  In fact, it is my #1 most hated song of all time (within genres of music that I generally enjoy), but the AON/Tom Jones version is one of my favourite songs of all time.  They took a terrible song and made it awesome, and for that, it is a welcome return and my vote for one of the greatest comebacks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuH1XDtN4rE

Written By: warped on 12/19/13 at 6:22 pm

Tom Jones had a nice little comeback in 1988.  He teamed with the British group Art of Noise to record a cover of the 1986 Prince song Kiss and it became his first Top 40 hit in North America since Say You'll Stay Until Tomorrow in 1977

I don't like the song Kiss by Prince.  In fact, it is my #1 most hated song of all time (within genres of music that I generally enjoy), but the AON/Tom Jones version is one of my favourite songs of all time.  They took a terrible song and made it awesome, and for that, it is a welcome return and my vote for one of the greatest comebacks!

I heard Tom Jones's version in clubs all the time back then, a very popular song in dance clubs.  It got requested often too.
Yeah, Prince's version was terrible. It's not #1 most hated song of all time, but it's on the list for sure.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/19/13 at 6:59 pm

I heard Tom Jones's version in clubs all the time back then, a very popular song in dance clubs.  It got requested often too.
Yeah, Prince's version was terrible. It's not #1 most hated song of all time, but it's on the list for sure.

I hate Prince's version.  I have never listened to Tom Jones' version, the Prince version turned me off that badly.

Written By: gibbo on 12/19/13 at 7:13 pm

Maybe around Easter, when he rose from the dead 3 days later. Is that what you mean?  ;D

It was more the reference to a comeback than to the occassion.  ;D I only thought of it because of the coming birth day celebration.

But I can always resurrect this thread and repost at Easter ... if you wish.  ;D

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 12/19/13 at 7:30 pm

I hate Prince's version.  I have never listened to Tom Jones' version, the Prince version turned me off that badly.

Actually Prince's version is the original version and Tom Jones did the cover.  :)

Written By: whistledog on 12/19/13 at 7:32 pm

The song itself always had potential.  Prince wrote a masterpiece, but he should have written it for someone else in mind to sing.  Then came Tom Jones and turned a lump of coal into a diamond

Written By: Dagwood on 12/19/13 at 7:54 pm

Actually Prince's version is the original version and Tom Jones did the cover.  :)

Notice I didn't say which was the original.  I just mentioned versions.  I don't care who did the original...I hate the damn song..

And, yes I am kinda grumpy tonight.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 12/20/13 at 12:30 am

Notice I didn't say which was the original.  I just mentioned versions.  I don't care who did the original...I hate the damn song..

And, yes I am kinda grumpy tonight.

I noticed.  ;)

Written By: Howard on 12/20/13 at 4:48 pm

Yeah that asshole shot him and he's been trying to get out of jail.  But John's widow keeps writing to the parole board asking them not to parole him because that would put herself, Sean, Julian, and Julian's mother in peril. 
He won't ever be fit to reenter society no matter what he might say to get out.

Keep him in jail until he rots. >:(

Written By: Howard on 12/20/13 at 4:49 pm

I like it but not too crazy about it.

Written By: Katluver on 12/20/13 at 8:13 pm

Not a Britney Spears fan, but in '07/08 I figured it was bye-bye to her career, but she seems to have bounced back.

After all those discoveries about Tiger Woods four years ago, I thought his career was also going to be coming to an end but he seems to have gained back some respect.

Written By: gibbo on 12/20/13 at 10:09 pm

Not a Britney Spears fan, but in '07/08 I figured it was bye-bye to her career, but she seems to have bounced back.

After all those discoveries about Tiger Woods four years ago, I thought his career was also going to be coming to an end but he seems to have gained back some respect.

That's because he keeps his driver in the bag more often!  ;)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 12/22/13 at 12:09 am

That's because he keeps his driver in the bag more often!  ;)

When she got rid of her exess bagage she bounced back anyways.  :)

Written By: Howard on 12/22/13 at 7:01 am

When she got rid of her exess bagage she bounced back anyways.  :)

She made another album with a song, "Work Bitch"!

Check for new replies or respond here...