inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: There is good music today.

Written By: ROBLOXFedora on 12/24/13 at 4:54 pm

I have been reading some archive posts about how everything 1997 (or at latest 1999) onwards is crap. Some of the posts sounded pretty harsh in my opinion. I have listened to a lot of songs from the late '90s onwards that were excellent. Yeah, you might see a bunch of twerking and autotune out there, but there is some gold to be found in the mine of modern music.

Subject: Re: There is good music today.

Written By: Howard on 12/25/13 at 8:15 am

I'm pretty sure there is good music out there but it's hard to find.

Written By: whistledog on 12/25/13 at 8:41 pm

If you listen to what's in the US/Canadian Top 100 chart, there are many terrible songs.  If you listen to what's in other Top 100s, some gold can indeed be found.  Most of the bands/singers/songs I like today are unknown in North America

Written By: Nosebone on 12/25/13 at 9:18 pm

It depends what you consider "good music".

If your talking about Billboards top 100, it's pretty abysmal imo.

But if your a jazz fan or into progressive or retro style rock, there is an abundance of amazing acts out there.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 12/25/13 at 10:20 pm

For me personally what I consider to be "good music" involves talented people who actually write their own songs and play their own instruments.  I think that there are good musicians out there.  I'm just not exactly sure where to find it.
I can't think of anything that's going on now that's particularly inspiring.  I liked what was going on back then because what was going on back then sounds better to me.

Written By: Nosebone on 12/25/13 at 11:01 pm

I know how you feel.
They say that the music of your youth will never be surpassed.

Written By: Nosebone on 12/25/13 at 11:16 pm

Keenan, post your top ten artists/albums and I'll try to point you top some new similar stuff.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 12/25/13 at 11:37 pm

I know how you feel.
They say that the music of your youth will never be surpassed.

No it won't.  What today's youth are listening to is absolute crap.  :P

Written By: Nosebone on 12/25/13 at 11:43 pm

I was referring to the music of your youth.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 12/26/13 at 1:43 am

I know.  I was just saying that what's popular now and what was popular in my time it's pointless to compare the two differnet genres.  :)

Written By: Howard on 12/26/13 at 7:29 am

For me personally what I consider to be "good music" involves talented people who actually write their own songs and play their own instruments.  I think that there are good musicians out there.  I'm just not exactly sure where to find it.
I can't think of anything that's going on now that's particularly inspiring.  I liked what was going on back then because what was going on back then sounds better to me.

I agree, I don't see many bands who play their own instruments these days.

Written By: Howard on 12/26/13 at 7:30 am

No it won't.  What today's youth are listening to is absolute crap.  :P

It makes my ears bleed. :P

Written By: Nosebone on 12/26/13 at 11:17 am

I know.  I was just saying that what's popular now and what was popular in my time it's pointless to compare the two differnet genres.  :)

I think you mean different eras, not genres.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 12/26/13 at 2:09 pm

I think you mean different eras, not genres.

Yeah.  That's it.  Thanks.

Written By: Ripley on 12/26/13 at 7:28 pm

This is why I don't listen to modern radio.  There are stations in my area that play mostly old music, which is great.  It's a rarity to find a good artist or band now. 

Written By: Howard on 12/27/13 at 7:17 am

This is why I don't listen to modern radio.  There are stations in my area that play mostly old music, which is great.  It's a rarity to find a good artist or band now.

I listen to internet radio.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/07/14 at 10:28 pm

The old eras are pretty good.  Even the stuff that was way before us is better.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/08/14 at 3:00 am

Good music can be found composed for films, think John Williams and Hans Summer.

Written By: XYkid on 01/08/14 at 4:47 am

If all you listen to is Top 40 radio, then you probably won't find a lot of good quality music. If you look into underground/alternative scenes, you can always find something good.
The reason a lot of people say 'music died in X year' is because most music after that point is no longer nostalgic to them, and there will always be good and bad music.

Written By: Redhairkid on 01/08/14 at 5:29 am

What you say makes sense, XYKid.

But very few musical acts these days compose their own stuff or play instruments, there is far too much emphasis on 'image' and there is too much dance/hip hop/urban rubbish out there.

But there is the occasional decent act, an example being Mumford and Sons.

Written By: warped on 01/08/14 at 6:07 am

In the last 10 years I can only think of 2 or 3 songs I really like.  That's it. There is probably some good music out there, but I don't wanna search a few hundred songs to find one 1 might like. Not worth my time. I have 6 to 10 thousand songs already on CDs or my computer, 99% of those are from before 1990.

I'd rather listen to music from any era is history, than the music from the last 10 years.

Written By: Howard on 01/08/14 at 8:00 am

The old eras are pretty good.  Even the stuff that was way before us is better.  :)

I agree, music was better back then than today's garbage.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/08/14 at 2:21 pm

Okay here we go

Tears For Fears: Mad World
Platinum Blonde: It Doesn't Really Matter
Depeche Mode: I Just Can't Get Enough
The Buggles: Video Killed The Radio Star
M Pop Muzik
The Boomtown Rats: I Don't Like Mondays
Blondie: Heart Of Glass
The Pretenders: Back On The Chain Gang
Rush: Subdivisions
Bryan Adams: Heaven

Written By: Howard on 01/08/14 at 2:37 pm

What you say makes sense, XYKid.

But very few musical acts these days compose their own stuff or play instruments, there is far too much emphasis on 'image' and there is too much dance/hip hop/urban rubbish out there.

But there is the occasional decent act, an example being Mumford and Sons.

I remember back in the days when singers and groups played REAL musical instruments like electric guitars, trumpets, horns and saxophones.

Check for new replies or respond here...