inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Your most important years

Written By: sonikuu on 01/08/14 at 11:06 am

What were the most important years of your life and why?  Were they good, bad, or in the middle?  I think everyone has at least a few of those standout years.

Here are mine:

2001 - Went into junior high, and with it ended my childhood.  Junior high was a really tough time in my life.  I didn't adjust well to early puberty.  Throw in 9/11 and its clear 2001 marks a major turning point.  That said, I started to get into anime, manga, video games and such in that time, which led me years later to my current job working in Japan.  Always a bright spot.

2004 - Went to a new high school with 99% different student populace.  Fresh start, though I didn't take full advantage of it in retrospect.  First year I really got into music and mainstream pop culture too.  If 2001-2003 were awful and 2010 (second half) to 2013 were amazing, then 2004-2009 is in-between in terms of quality.

2010 - Transferred from community college to university.  Got the chance to study abroad for five weeks in the summer, which did A LOT to bring me out of my shell.  My life at the end of 2010 was completely different than at the start.

2013 - Now, 2011 and 2012 were great years, even better than 2010.  But I was essentially the same person through these years, not changing much after my 2010 transformation.  So I don't count those two as "important years" so much as "great years".  So, next is 2013.  Got my first major post-college job, in the form of teaching in Japan.  The pay and benefits are good, so I'm coasting for now. 

How about you?  What are the big years for you?

Subject: Re: Your most important years

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/08/14 at 11:07 am

Every year is important to me, for I am still living and breathing.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/08/14 at 3:59 pm

My most important day was my 8th grade graduation into highschool in 1990 and my high school graduation in 1994.  :)

Written By: XYkid on 01/08/14 at 4:43 pm

Pretty much every year has been important to me in some way, for both good times and bad times.

Written By: warped on 01/08/14 at 6:00 pm

1978.  I moved from one large city to another. Lost all of friends, last time I ever saw my gf, skipped a grade and had to make new friends at school who were a year or two older than me. I did not fit in. This was a tough adjustment for me. I still wish I never moved.

1989. I found a new job, decent paying. Bought a brand new car. Dated a very weird girl and her best friend...who was a married woman... did everything possible to try and seduce me (and she was so damn gorgeous too). Was floored when another girl at work confessed she was crazy in love with me, the whole department at work knew except me :-\\. She basically confessed this at a party (with coworkers) in front of 30 people standing around    :-\\

Later in 1989 another girl from Mexico (that I met for 4 days in Canada) wanted me to move down there and marry her... It was a very weird year.

What the heck was I doing in 1989 to deserve all this attention, I will never know. :-\\

Written By: Katluver on 02/02/14 at 5:57 pm

Every year seems to hold some milestone for me...

Check for new replies or respond here...