inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does the internet prolong pop culture phenoms that would otherwise be ephemeral?

Written By: SiderealDreams on 01/08/14 at 12:41 pm

I thought about this when I was reading the comments of a Cracked article and someone said that Justin Bieber was like today's Vanilla Ice (i.e. popular, but cheesy and just a fad). However, there is one big difference I see between them. Vanilla Ice had mainstream popularity for, what, two years? And yet, if I'm not mistaken, Justin Bieber has been popular for about 5 years with no real signs of stopping. Maybe it's not the best comparison since it seems to me that Vanilla Ice wasn't marketed to a pre-teen/early adolescent demographic as Bieber has been. However, I don't think that New Kids On The Block (which I believe was marketed to a similar demographic about 20 or 25 years ago) were as popular as long as Bieber has been, so I do think something has changed. What do you think with regard to the topic question? Discuss.

Subject: Re: Does the internet prolong pop culture phenoms that would otherwise be ephemeral?

Written By: whistledog on 01/09/14 at 7:54 pm

I think Justin Bieber was in correlation with New Kids on the Block like Vanilla Ice was to MC Hammer.  The music is subjective to those who listen and those around them who listen to today's music.  What I don't understand is the appeal of the music that lacks the subtexture of the 90s

To this day, it still makes me scratch my head

Subject: Re: Does the internet prolong pop culture phenoms that would otherwise be ephemeral?

Written By: SiderealDreams on 01/09/14 at 9:15 pm

But unlike Bieber and NKOTB, Vanilla Ice and Hammer were around at the same time. Who would be analogous to MC Hammer or Vanilla Ice today?

What do you mean by subtexture of the 90's?

Also, I would like to read your opinion as to whether the internet has anything to do with Bieber being hugely popular much longer than NKOTB (since you seem to agree that they are analogous acts). Why, if they are analogous acts, haven't they had an analogous 15 minutes of fame?

Written By: whistledog on 01/10/14 at 5:23 pm

But unlike Bieber and NKOTB, Vanilla Ice and Hammer were around at the same time. Who would be analogous to MC Hammer or Vanilla Ice today?

What do you mean by subtexture of the 90's?

Also, I would like to read your opinion as to whether the internet has anything to do with Bieber being hugely popular much longer than NKOTB (since you seem to agree that they are analogous acts). Why, if they are analogous acts, haven't they had an analogous 15 minutes of fame?

MC Hammer is much like rap artists of today than yesterday because of the rich culture and the interitance of rap amongst the common youth.  The subtexture of the 90s refers to the crop of artists and how painted on they were, like a staple in the industry we call music. 

The internet has very much to do with the popularity of Bieber as it correlates to the way youth connect visa vis alternate mediums of popular culture.  Someday soon though, the internet will become a vast nothingness of itself much like vinyl records were to CDs.  With today's artists, their 15 minutes of fame lasts longer than that of the average 90s artist because of the way the music listeners connect with the songs.  They can find a way to better relate to the songs in a matter of that like the music of the 70s spoke to a younger generation

Check for new replies or respond here...