inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Where are some good movies based on TV shows?

Written By: warped on 01/22/14 at 7:05 am

What are some TV shows or sitcoms that were remade into a movie...and the movie was actually good/decent?

I've seen the Twilight Zone movie (1983), and that was a good one  (Even if the movie was just episodes put together)

How about some other ones you've liked?
Or maybe you roll your eyes coz you are sick of TV shows remade into films?

Subject: Re: Where are some good movies based on TV shows?

Written By: snozberries on 01/22/14 at 7:23 am

Good topic  ;)

I'm going to say Charlie's Angels...granted they played "new" angels not the original ones but the premise was good, the action was good. The only thing I hated was Tom Greene.  Oh Bill Murray/ Bernie Mac as Boslwy in the films. 

People seemed to like 21 Jump St but I thought it was sacrilege... The original series was so good and they dumbed it down to a Jonah Hill Channing Tatum schlub fest.

I know this is the reverse of the thread but I have to say it (I gotta rep to protect). Buffy the series was WAY better than Buffy the movie....  The movie came first in this case. The series righted so many wrongs that came out of the feature  that was never representative of Joss' vision.
(There's another good thread idea....movies that became Tv shows)

Written By: whistledog on 01/22/14 at 8:45 am

Here's a top 10 that I really enjoyed (in order they were released ...)

The Addams Family (1991)
Addams Family Values (1993)
The Fugitive (1993)
The Brady Bunch Movie (1995)
A Very Brady Sequel (1996)
The Saint (1997)
S.W.A.T. (2003)
The Dukes of Hazzard (2005)
The Dukes of Hazzard:  The Beginning (2007)
The A-Team (2010)

The trick with some of these is to think of it as a whole new story and not based on a TV show.  I really enjoyed the Dukes of Hazzard prequel more than I did the first film because they better depicted Hazzard County, plus they made a better casting choice for Roscoe P. Coltrane. 
In the prequel, it was Harland Williams, who is great at playing a goofball.  In the first film, it was M.C. Gainey, who is well recognized as a ruthless, vicious, villain and cannot do comedy all that well because of it. 

Written By: snozberries on 01/22/14 at 8:52 am

Star Trek - the JJ Abrams versions.....both of them- those were excellent films!!!
Very well executed. True to character and still a nod to the original series with bumpy Nimoy playing an older, alternate (ie original) version of Spock opposite Zachary Quinto's newer younger Spock.

Edited to correct autocorrect.  :D

Check for new replies or respond here...