inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best kids channel

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/03/14 at 3:23 pm

Out of all these kids channels, which one was the best?

Subject: Re: Best kids channel

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/03/14 at 3:24 pm

How about CBBC here in the UK?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/03/14 at 3:25 pm

How about CBBC here in the UK?
What would CBBC be for the US?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/03/14 at 3:28 pm

What would CBBC be for the US?
CBBC (a contraction of the original name Children's BBC) is one of two brand names used for the BBC's children's television strands (the other being CBeebies). Today, CBBC is joined by two dedicated digital channels, launched in 2002 and using the same brands and presentation and the programme strands it is a department of the BBC North Group division.

CBBC is the name given to the digital channel for children aged 6–12, and also the brand used for CBBC programming and CBeebies is the digital channel for children aged under 6, and also aired its own strand on BBC One until 21 December 2012 and on BBC Two until 4 January 2013. In 2006, as part of the BBCs Creative Futures strategic review, the CBBC brand was redefined as being for children aged 6–12. A new brand for teenagers, BBC Switch, was launched in 2007 and ended in 2010, though this did not have a dedicated channel and was not part of the BBC Children's division.

CBBC currently broadcasts as a 12-hour-a-day digital channel (the CBBC Channel) available on most UK digital platforms from 7am to 7pm. The brand was also used for the broadcast of children's programmes on BBC One (weekday afternoons) until these strands were phased out at the end of 2012 and on BBC Two (weekday & weekend mornings) until these strands were also phased out at the start of 2013, as part of the BBC's "Delivering Quality First" cost-cutting initiative.] CBBC programmes were also broadcast in high definition alongside other BBC content on BBC HD, generally from 3:30pm to 7pm on weekends, unless the channel was covering other events. BBC-produced children's programming, in native languages of Scotland and Wales, also airs on BBC Alba and S4C respectively. CBBC HD launched on 10 December 2013.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/03/14 at 3:39 pm

CBBC (a contraction of the original name Children's BBC) is one of two brand names used for the BBC's children's television strands (the other being CBeebies). Today, CBBC is joined by two dedicated digital channels, launched in 2002 and using the same brands and presentation and the programme strands it is a department of the BBC North Group division.

CBBC is the name given to the digital channel for children aged 6–12, and also the brand used for CBBC programming and CBeebies is the digital channel for children aged under 6, and also aired its own strand on BBC One until 21 December 2012 and on BBC Two until 4 January 2013. In 2006, as part of the BBCs Creative Futures strategic review, the CBBC brand was redefined as being for children aged 6–12. A new brand for teenagers, BBC Switch, was launched in 2007 and ended in 2010, though this did not have a dedicated channel and was not part of the BBC Children's division.

CBBC currently broadcasts as a 12-hour-a-day digital channel (the CBBC Channel) available on most UK digital platforms from 7am to 7pm. The brand was also used for the broadcast of children's programmes on BBC One (weekday afternoons) until these strands were phased out at the end of 2012 and on BBC Two (weekday & weekend mornings) until these strands were also phased out at the start of 2013, as part of the BBC's "Delivering Quality First" cost-cutting initiative.] CBBC programmes were also broadcast in high definition alongside other BBC content on BBC HD, generally from 3:30pm to 7pm on weekends, unless the channel was covering other events. BBC-produced children's programming, in native languages of Scotland and Wales, also airs on BBC Alba and S4C respectively. CBBC HD launched on 10 December 2013.
Do you know what is the U.S. equivalent for CBBC? Like what programs does it show?

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 02/03/14 at 4:09 pm

I grew up with Nickelodeon almost exclusively, so I'm partial to it. I didn't get Cartoon Network until I was almost too old to appreciate it. Before that I only got to watch it when I was at a friend's house or cousin's house who had it. In any case, I think Nickelodeon had better quality shows. CN always seemed to play second fiddle to Nick.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/03/14 at 4:16 pm

I grew up with Nickelodeon almost exclusively, so I'm partial to it. I didn't get Cartoon Network until I was almost too old to appreciate it. Before that I only got to watch it when I was at a friend's house or cousin's house who had it. In any case, I think Nickelodeon had better quality shows. CN always seemed to play second fiddle to Nick.
What were your favorite shows?

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 02/03/14 at 4:34 pm

What were your favorite shows?

I had many....Rugrats, Are You Afraid of the Dark, Doug, Kenan & Kel, the original All That, Hey Arnold, The Angry Beavers, Catdog, KaBlam, Legends of the Hidden Temple, Rocket Power

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/03/14 at 4:51 pm

I had many....Rugrats, Are You Afraid of the Dark, Doug, Kenan & Kel, the original All That, Hey Arnold, The Angry Beavers, Catdog, KaBlam, Legends of the Hidden Temple, Rocket Power
Awesome!!! Me too. I watched everyone of them except for 2 of them. I'm not sure if I did see Afraid of the Dark and Legends Hidden Temple.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 02/03/14 at 5:07 pm

Awesome!!! Me too. I watched everyone of them except for 2 of them. I'm not sure if I did see Afraid of the Dark and Legends Hidden Temple.

Are You Afraid of the Dark was my absolute favorite! It was like Nickelodeon's own version of the Twilight Zone.

Written By: Howard on 02/03/14 at 7:25 pm

I grew up with PBS Channel 13 in New York with shows like Sesame Street, Electric Company, Mr.Rogers Neighborhood and Zoom.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/03/14 at 8:52 pm

I grew up with PBS Channel 13 in New York with shows like Sesame Street, Electric Company, Mr.Rogers Neighborhood and Zoom.
So did I. Except for electric company.

Written By: Ripley on 02/03/14 at 9:38 pm

I was Nickelodeon fan as well.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/04/14 at 2:18 am

Do you know what is the U.S. equivalent for CBBC? Like what programs does it show?
A list of programmes can be obtained on the link below

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_BBC_children%27s_television_programmes

Written By: Howard on 02/04/14 at 8:06 am

So did I. Except for electric company.

definitely my favorite theme Electric Company.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFYMijdQ_sA

Written By: warped on 02/04/14 at 8:09 am

I don't know most of these channels and wasn't even aware there were kids channels.

Written By: Howard on 02/04/14 at 8:10 am

I was Nickelodeon fan as well.

I watched Nickelodeon when it had You Can't Do That On Television.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/04/14 at 8:16 am

Which television channel was Sesame Street first broadcasted on?

Written By: Howard on 02/04/14 at 9:00 am

WNET Channel 13.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/04/14 at 9:05 am

WNET Channel 13.
Which is not in the poll?

Written By: warped on 02/04/14 at 9:58 am

In Canada it was on CBC, in America I am pretty sure it was on PBS.

Written By: Ripley on 02/04/14 at 11:23 am

Kids WB - I watched the WB a lot as a kid. 

Cartoon Network - I didn't watch it as a kid.  The only time I did as an adult was back when Adult Swim was good.

Disney Channel - The only time I ever watched Disney was when they had original movies on, Brink being my favorite one.  Then I watched Lizzie McGuire and Even Stevens when they were on.

Fox Kids - Go Go Power Rangers!!! This among other shows were good on there.

PBS Kids - Arthur, The Magic Schoolbus, Where In the World and Where In the Universe Are Carmen San Diego. 

Nickelodeon - It would take hours to list my favorite shows and things about Nick!!!

ABC Kids - I can't name one show on this.  Seriously! 

Boomerang - I watched a few shows on there, namely The Addams Family.  I'm a huge Addams Family fan.

Written By: Howard on 02/04/14 at 1:52 pm

Which is not in the poll?

maybe it should be.  ???

Written By: Howard on 02/04/14 at 1:53 pm

Cartoon Network - I didn't watch it as a kid.  The only time I did as an adult was back when Adult Swim was good.

I watched The Cartoon Network in my later years.

Written By: warped on 02/04/14 at 1:54 pm

maybe it should be.  ???

I'm not from New York, Howard, but is  (or was) WNET Channel 13, a PBS channel?

Written By: Howard on 02/04/14 at 2:24 pm

I'm not from New York, Howard, but is  (or was) WNET Channel 13, a PBS channel?

Yes it was.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/05/14 at 12:01 pm

A list of programmes can be obtained on the link below

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_BBC_children%27s_television_programmes
Wow!! That channel had a combination of almost every tv show. That's amazing.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/05/14 at 12:02 pm

Wow!! That channel had a combination of almost every tv show. That's amazing.
It is the BBC.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/05/14 at 12:30 pm

It is the BBC.
do you still watch it?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/05/14 at 12:32 pm

do you still watch it?
No, the programmes are set for children, I have other programmes to watch.

Written By: whistledog on 02/05/14 at 2:33 pm

In Canada it was on CBC, in America I am pretty sure it was on PBS.

Yes.  The one that we had in Canada came on in 1972 and was re-edited to include Canadian Content.  It was first titled Sesame Street Canada, then Canadian Sesame Street, and finally Sesame Park.  It was cancelled in 2002, so those in Canada now can only watch it via American PBS stations

Written By: whistledog on 02/05/14 at 2:54 pm

I watched Nickelodeon when it had You Can't Do That On Television.

That originally began as a local show in Ottawa in 1979, broadcast only by CJOH-TV, which was the local CTV affiliate out of Ottawa.  It went world-wide in 1981

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/10/14 at 9:57 am

The problem with such polls in an online poll is that TV programming is not yet international-based, despite the presence of online streaming. Personally, I'd say Nickelodeon. Even though I'm outside of its main audience and the channel doesn't have quite the variety it had growing up, it still has some good programs with new shows and even old favorites such as new versions of TMNT and Power Rangers. PBS Kids is second and had a longer history of great kids programming, especially from  the 1970s to 1990s. The former is the closest to following up traditional Saturday Morning/Weekday syndicated kids shows, while the later is the closest to a CBBC, though for just part of the day with no commercial breaks and funding provided. Cartoon Network is next (especially for the younger audiences), while Boomerang is the principal "oldies" cartoon channel, though both kids and adults will love it. Disney I just don't like and especially in the last several years. ABC Kids was basically its traditional Saturday morning programming, and IMO was best in the '70s with Schoolhouse Rock, Scooby-Doo, and some good live action shows. It also had the After School special during the week. Likewise Fox kids for most of the '90s and Kids WB in the late '90s/early '00s.

Written By: Howard on 02/10/14 at 12:44 pm

That originally began as a local show in Ottawa in 1979, broadcast only by CJOH-TV, which was the local CTV affiliate out of Ottawa.  It went world-wide in 1981

interesting, so then it went to Nickelodeon in the early 80's afterwards?

Check for new replies or respond here...