inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Would you want to live to see the dawn of the 22nd Century?

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 03/22/14 at 6:29 pm

The oldest person in the world right now is 116, so someone born around 1984 or later could potentially be alive in 2100/2101. The longest confirmed lifespan in recorded history is about 122.5 years, so even someone born around 1977 could theoretically make it. Especially if we consider the advances in medicine that will be made over the course of our lifetimes.

It's just fascinating to me how the late 20th Century will probably look as old-timey at that point as the late 19th Century does now. To be able to witness the changes unfold over the whole century would be pretty incredible, but a lot of people would also agree that it's not worth being that old and decrepit in a nursing home...

Subject: Re: Would you want to live to see the dawn of the 22nd Century?

Written By: 80sfan on 03/22/14 at 7:17 pm

The 21st century already seems so volatile, that I think the human race is going to go through many dramas by the time the 22nd century starts.

That's my limited and amateur comment. I'd be 111 in 2100, turning 112 in November of that year!  :)

Written By: Mat1991 on 03/22/14 at 9:50 pm

The 21st century already seems so volatile, that I think the human race is going to go through many dramas by the time the 22nd century starts.

That's my limited and amateur comment. I'd be 111 in 2100, turning 112 in November of that year!  :)

The 20th century started out that way, too. World War I broke out about 100 years ago.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/22/14 at 10:28 pm

The 20th century started out that way, too. World War I broke out about 100 years ago.

Oh yeah, how could I forget? Two world wars, a depression, Vietnam, 60s civil unrests, the cold war, the fall of the soviet union.  :(

Written By: Emman on 03/22/14 at 10:52 pm

Yeah the whole period from about 1890-1920 was one of the fastest changing periods ever, automobiles, Art Nouveau, labor protests and anarchist violence, Spanish American War, progressive movement, women's suffrage, child labor laws, KKK revival, Wright brothers air flight, World War 1, and prohibition.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 03/23/14 at 3:45 am

It wouldn't be to bad to make it at least to the 2080s, too. 2080s culture will probably not too much different from 2100s culture to us when we are seniors  ;D

However I can't imagine how advanced technology will be even by 2030/40... Even today it's quite futuristic already.

Written By: Howard on 03/23/14 at 3:37 pm

If I wanted to see the 22nd century, I'd have to freeze myself in a space capsule and come out in about 100 years.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 03/23/14 at 3:49 pm

However I can't imagine how advanced technology will be even by 2030/40... Even today it's quite futuristic already.

It really is shocking how technology has advanced since just the invention of the lightbulb. Living in 1900 and 2000 would have been like night and day...if it continues to accelerate at the same or an even faster rate, I can't even conceive what 2100 will be like. If you think back to like the middle ages for example, do you think people in 1300 lived much differently from people in 1200?

Written By: Howard on 03/23/14 at 4:07 pm

It really is shocking how technology has advanced since just the invention of the lightbulb. Living in 1900 and 2000 would have been like night and day...if it continues to accelerate at the same or an even faster rate, I can't even conceive what 2100 will be like. If you think back to like the middle ages for example, do you think people in 1300 lived much differently from people in 1200?

We will see a whole band new different type of technology.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/23/14 at 9:11 pm

If I wanted to see the 22nd century, I'd have to freeze myself in a space capsule and come out in about 100 years.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-bp_H3hTRi_o/TjcynYzaJdI/AAAAAAAADyc/5V59vvYVKUM/s1600/austin1.jpg

Written By: Howard on 03/24/14 at 6:30 am

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-bp_H3hTRi_o/TjcynYzaJdI/AAAAAAAADyc/5V59vvYVKUM/s1600/austin1.jpg

But nothing like Austin Powers.  ;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/24/14 at 11:34 pm

I think the Silents got the best deal.  They had two big wars, both of which they won.  Between those wars, it took them only 13 years to realize their experiment in Prohibition was a bad idea.  It took them a couple more decades to figure out that the descendants of slaves were people too.  They got to see transportation progress from the automobile to the airplane to rockets putting men on the moon.  Incurable diseases were eradicated through vaccines, and antibiotics were new enough that bacteria had yet to evolve resistance.  Communications progressed from the telegraph to the telephone to the internet.  With the world's industrial production destroyed after WW2, those born in North America wrung 60 years of prosperity out of the head start they had in 1946.  Even if you only lived to 60, it didn't matter which 60 years out of that century you got, you saw some pretty incredible changes, and most of them were for the better.

I'm an Xer and I got a pretty good deal.  I could have flown on the Concorde, but I put it off for too many years, and then the crash ended the programme.  I have no memory of an era when humans walked on the moon.  I will probably never travel faster than the speed of sound.  Unless Elon Musk gets lucky or the Chinese get serious, nobody will leave low earth orbit in my lifetime.  The internet has changed from open protocols that fostered communication into a set of walled gardens that exist to extract value by monitoring those communications. 

My generation's arc wasn't all bad.  Walled garden or not, the internet still offers almost everything ever made with the click of a mouse.  We got to feast on two or three big bubbles - table scraps from the 80s deregulation boom whet our appetite for a full serving of the 90s dot-com boom and the 00s housing boom.  Heart disease and cancer are still killers, but they're more manageable than they were 20 years ago.  Vaccines still work.  Antibiotics sorta work.  Antivirals and antiretrovirals have changed AIDS from a death sentence that had potential to wipe out 30% of the population (as it nearly did in in Africa) to a manageable disease that will be curable within 20 years.  My gay friends/co-workers will be able to get married by 2020.  I might even live to see the end of Prohibition.

If medical technology advances to the point that it's affordable for me to do so, I'd like to see the year 2200, just to see how it all works out.  If it goes poorly enough, it won't matter how much money you have.  If it goes well enough, maybe it also won't matter how much money you don't have.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 03/25/14 at 1:00 am

If medical technology advances to the point that it's affordable for me to do so, I'd like to see the year 2200, just to see how it all works out.

2200? :o That's almost 200 years from now, lol. Or did you mean 2100?

I've heard it said that the first 150 year old was probably born around 2010, but even they wouldn't quite make it to 2200.

Written By: dnt88 on 03/25/14 at 1:22 am

No.... because in 70 years there will be no oil left and I wouldn't like to live that because it's not going to be a nice event.  :D

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 03/25/14 at 1:57 am

No.... because in 70 years there will be no oil left and I wouldn't like to live that because it's not going to be a nice event.  :D

If that were to happen are you pessimistic that we won't have found an alternative fuel source by then?

Written By: 80sfan on 03/25/14 at 2:02 am

I've heard of peak oil, but I'm not sure if it's just a conspiracy theory or not. I'm guessing there is some truth to it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/25/14 at 3:28 am

With no available oil, we will not be able to use our jetpacks.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/25/14 at 3:29 am

The oldest person in the world right now is 116, so someone born around 1984 or later could potentially be alive in 2100/2101. The longest confirmed lifespan in recorded history is about 122.5 years, so even someone born around 1977 could theoretically make it. Especially if we consider the advances in medicine that will be made over the course of our lifetimes.

It's just fascinating to me how the late 20th Century will probably look as old-timey at that point as the late 19th Century does now. To be able to witness the changes unfold over the whole century would be pretty incredible, but a lot of people would also agree that it's not worth being that old and decrepit in a nursing home...
I will be gone long before then!

Written By: Howard on 03/25/14 at 6:55 am

I've heard it said that the first 150 year old was probably born around 2010, but even they wouldn't quite make it to 2200.

Now how is anyone going to live for another 200 more years? ::)

Written By: Howard on 03/25/14 at 6:56 am

With no available oil, we will not be able to use our jetpacks.

or heat our homes.

Written By: Howard on 03/25/14 at 6:57 am

Me too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/25/14 at 6:59 am

Me too.
but I am up for the challenge to make sure I am around then!

Written By: Howard on 03/25/14 at 7:34 am

but I am up for the challenge to make sure I am around then!

how will that be possible? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/25/14 at 8:19 am

how will that be possible? ???
By keep on breathing.

Written By: Howard on 03/25/14 at 4:14 pm

By keep on breathing.

and try not to stop breathing or you'll lose oxygen.

Written By: Howard on 03/25/14 at 4:15 pm

I wonder if the 22nd century will look like The Jetsons?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/25/14 at 4:21 pm

I wonder if the 22nd century will look like The Jetsons?
With no available oil, the future may look more like The Flintstones.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/26/14 at 6:35 am

Hopefully by then we will a Flux Capacitor to assist travel.

Written By: Howard on 03/26/14 at 6:43 am

With no available oil, the future may look more like The Flintstones.

I wonder what people will be wearing?

Written By: Howard on 03/26/14 at 6:44 am

Hopefully by then we will a Flux Capacitor to assist travel.

traveling us back in time.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/26/14 at 6:47 am

traveling us back in time.
...or forward!

Written By: Howard on 03/26/14 at 7:21 am

...or forward!

into time.

Written By: warped on 03/26/14 at 4:01 pm

It's possible. If this planet keeps on going and life expectancy continues to go up, We might see that, or at least have people live till 130 or 140.

Written By: Howard on 03/26/14 at 7:41 pm

It's possible. If this planet keeps on going and life expectancy continues to go up, We might see that, or at least have people live till 130 or 140.

I'd sure love to live until 130.

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/27/14 at 10:55 pm

D'oh!  I meant 2100, but I'll take 2200 if, by 2100, the technology exists to give me another century.  If it does, it means humanity either won the game, or will be very close to it.

Written By: Howard on 03/28/14 at 3:36 pm

Who knows what will happen in 100 years from now.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/28/14 at 3:49 pm

Robot wars!!

Written By: warped on 03/28/14 at 3:50 pm

Global warming, NYC

http://i.bnet.com/blogs/global_warming_rising_sea_levels_manhattan.jpg

Written By: Howard on 03/28/14 at 4:26 pm

Robot wars!!

flying cars and flying buses.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/28/14 at 4:56 pm

Global warming, NYC

http://i.bnet.com/blogs/global_warming_rising_sea_levels_manhattan.jpg
Oh dear!

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/28/14 at 4:57 pm

flying cars and flying buses.
"Roads ... where we're going, we don't need roads."

Written By: Howard on 03/29/14 at 3:38 pm

"Roads ... where we're going, we don't need roads."

so what do we need?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/14 at 3:02 am

so what do we need?
Air space.

Written By: Howard on 04/01/14 at 7:36 am

Air space.

just what we need for the 22nd century.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/27/16 at 6:48 pm

I will be 101 years old in 2100. I probably won't be alive to experience the early 22nd Century, although I suppose it is possible. It would be pretty interesting to experience life in the 2100s. If I do happen to live for that long, I would have experienced the early 21st century as a young child and experienced the end of the 21st Century as an elderly. It would be a good thing to claim, however I personally can't see it happening.

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/27/16 at 6:55 pm

The reason people say that life expectancy increases overtime is because of advancements in tech and medicine. And the discovery of new cures/treating procedures. It's predicted that living up to 92-101 would be the standard by 2070. And by 2101 I'm sure that living up to 100+ would be the standard. But yeah I'd love to see the 22nd century. I always love the thought of an advanced future.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 08/27/16 at 7:28 pm

I'd love to see how everything progresses, but I have a feeling I'll die around 2070, if I could, I definitely would take the opportunity though. Although, it'd be tough if I didn't have my family living then too. I'd be 101 years old by the year 2100.  :o

Written By: 2001 on 08/27/16 at 7:43 pm

Chances are very remote, but it's technically possible. If I were a woman, it would be easier.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/27/16 at 7:43 pm

I'd love to see how everything progresses, but I have a feeling I'll die around 2070, if I could

I know that it's your own personal view, but you would only be 71 in 2070. That still seems a bit young, in my opinion.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 08/27/16 at 8:38 pm

I know that it's your own personal view, but you would only be 71 in 2070. That still seems a bit young, in my opinion.

Yeah, but the average lifespan for males in the United States is 78, and I wouldn't call myself the healthiest person.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/27/16 at 8:54 pm

Chances are very remote, but it's technically possible. If I were a woman, it would be easier.

US woman live to be age 80, on average. Men, 78.  8)

Written By: 80sfan on 08/27/16 at 8:58 pm

I will be 111 in 2100, and if you count 2101 as the real start, I will be 112.

Yes, still have a chance! Yeah!!  8)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/27/16 at 10:02 pm

Yes, I would; however, I will be a very old person by the time I hit the next century. ;) ;D

Written By: 2001 on 08/27/16 at 10:21 pm

With Canada's socialized medicine and government death panels, women live to be 84, and men, 80, on average.

Written By: aja675 on 08/28/16 at 12:38 am

There was a study from five years ago saying that your more than a quarter of 1995-borns would live until 100.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/28/16 at 1:45 am

With Canada's socialized medicine and government death panels, women live to be 84, and men, 80, on average.

I believe that's true, pink one.

Written By: Howard on 08/28/16 at 3:04 pm

Yeah, but the average lifespan for males in the United States is 78, and I wouldn't call myself the healthiest person.

me too, I'm not as healthy as I used to be years ago.

Written By: Howard on 08/28/16 at 3:06 pm

My grandmother is almost 100 years old so I guess she surpassed the average age limit.

Written By: Howard on 08/28/16 at 3:07 pm

I think I'll be long gone before the 22nd century.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 08/28/16 at 3:11 pm

I wouldn't want to. It'd mean I'd likely see all my friends and loved ones die before me. Not to mention all the other problems overtaking the globe--overpopulation, wars, strife and poverty. PASS. I'd be 114 in 2100. My father lived to 88 and I KNOW he saw everyone die ahead of him, his parents, his wife (my mom) and all his siblings and too many of his friends. Nah, I'm good fam.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 08/28/16 at 4:47 pm

I wouldn't want to. It'd mean I'd likely see all my friends and loved ones die before me. Not to mention all the other problems overtaking the globe--overpopulation, wars, strife and poverty. PASS. I'd be 114 in 2100. My father lived to 88 and I KNOW he saw everyone die ahead of him, his parents, his wife (my mom) and all his siblings and too many of his friends. Nah, I'm good fam.

That's the one reason why I wouldn't. I don't want to watch my loved ones die.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 08/28/16 at 4:56 pm

I'll live as long as my life takes me to. I would rather survive to be able to see the 22nd century than die today. I'll be 104 in 2100.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 08/28/16 at 5:08 pm

I'll live as long as my life takes me to. I would rather survive to be able to see the 22nd century than die today. I'll be 104 in 2100.

Well, I'd like to live to the 22nd century, but that would be my one major problem with it. Hopefully, my siblings would live until (or any family, really)  then too. My parents are in their 40s though, but hey, you never know how technology will advance within twenty to forty years.

Written By: Howard on 08/29/16 at 3:01 pm

Me neither. :(

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/29/16 at 4:00 pm

You'll be 105. 22nd century starts in 2101. 2100 is year 100 and not year 1. And there is no such thing as a year 0 (of a century).

Written By: wixness on 09/05/16 at 6:03 am

Yeah. All my favourite music will be in the public domain by then, that's if record labels don't get their way.

Written By: Howard on 09/05/16 at 3:02 pm

I'll be too old to live to see the 22nd century.

Check for new replies or respond here...