inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was the 80s and 90s the mall era?

Written By: 80sfan on 04/07/14 at 7:46 am

:D :D :D :D :D

Subject: Re: Was the 80s and 90s the mall era?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/07/14 at 8:49 am

No, for the Grand Bazaar of Istanbul was built in the 15th century and is still one of the largest covered shopping centers in the world, with more than 58 streets and 4,000 shops.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/07/14 at 1:49 pm

No, for the Grand Bazaar of Istanbul was built in the 15th century and is still one of the largest covered shopping centers in the world, with more than 58 streets and 4,000 shops.

Karma for the info!

Written By: Howard on 04/07/14 at 7:27 pm

people shopped in malls during the 80's more.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/07/14 at 8:20 pm

people shopped in malls during the 80's more.

More than the 90s?

Written By: Howard on 04/08/14 at 6:39 am

More than the 90s?

I think it's because the emergence of computers and laptops that people were more at home more than being at the malls.

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/08/14 at 8:26 am

In terms of popular conciousness, yes, similar to how the 50s and 60s were the drive-in and diner era. Gas was still fairly cheap, suburban living was still seen as better than urban living, and most malls that exist today were young or fairly young back then. I see 1992 as the peak of this era when the Mall of America opened, with the long decline noticeably starting around 1997 when online retailing took off. Today malls are really "fashion centers" and generally lack the variety found in earlier malls, which had more electronic stores, sporting goods, fitness centers, arcades, gift shops. But generally speaking, the malls that have survived to this day tend to offer some good entertainment options, for simply a movie multiplex to performance venues, child play areas, good places to sit down and relax, and the best selection of stores in an area, in addition to having the basics of favorable demographics and safety. People go to mall for the experience, not simply to shop and perhaps eat at the food court.

Today, it seems like Asia and Africa are the places on this planet with survivng/thriving mall scenes, and for those places they will likely see the 2000s and 2010s as the "mall era".

Written By: Howard on 04/08/14 at 3:44 pm

nobody really goes to the mall that much anymore when you can shop online now for what you want and pick it up later.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 04/08/14 at 7:30 pm

I don't think that online shopping was so much of a 90s thing. Was it in America? From my own experience in Europe, it was something that really took off in the early 2000s and was really common around 2005ish...

But in the late 90s? I mean... how many people really had internet back than? That was only a small percentage, even in the US...

By the way... the mall era in Germany is more of a 2000s thing as a lot of malls opened during that decade. I don't think we really had malls in the 80s.

Written By: XYkid on 04/08/14 at 10:51 pm

Large shopping malls as we know them today became common in the late 60s/early 70s. Interestingly, the film Dawn of The Dead, which came out in 1978, was like a commentary on how the new mall culture was almost turning us into zombies.
It seems like back when my older cousins were teens in the 90s, the mall was like a hub for after school teenage activities, now it doesn't seem like that as much.

Written By: Jquar on 04/09/14 at 2:09 am

Nah. There were plenty of malls before 1980 and plenty after 1999. They're still around and usually quite bustling around the holidays, although certainly both online shopping and the recession have reduced their vitality somewhat.

Written By: Jquar on 04/09/14 at 2:12 am

I don't think that online shopping was so much of a 90s thing. Was it in America? From my own experience in Europe, it was something that really took off in the early 2000s and was really common around 2005ish...

But in the late 90s? I mean... how many people really had internet back than? That was only a small percentage, even in the US...

By the way... the mall era in Germany is more of a 2000s thing as a lot of malls opened during that decade. I don't think we really had malls in the 80s.

The online shopping craze definitely began in the late 90s, Ebay and Amazon for example both exploded on the scene and were household names in the U.S. by 1999.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/09/14 at 2:45 am

The online shopping craze definitely began in the late 90s, Ebay and Amazon for example both exploded on the scene and were household names in the U.S. by 1999.
English entrepreneur Michael Aldrich invented online shopping in 1979. His system connected a modified domestic TV to a real-time transaction processing computer via a domestic telephone line. He believed that videotex, the modified domestic TV technology with a simple menu-driven human–computer interface, was a 'new, universally applicable, participative communication medium — the first since the invention of the telephone.' This enabled 'closed' corporate information systems to be opened to 'outside' correspondents not just for transaction processing but also for e-messaging and information retrieval and dissemination, later known as e-business. His definition of the new mass communications medium as 'participative' was fundamentally different from the traditional definitions of mass communication and mass media and a precursor to the social networking on the Internet 25 years later.

Written By: Howard on 04/09/14 at 6:37 am

The internet craze didn't start till the late 90's.

Written By: Howard on 04/09/14 at 6:38 am

Large shopping malls as we know them today became common in the late 60s/early 70s. Interestingly, the film Dawn of The Dead, which came out in 1978, was like a commentary on how the new mall culture was almost turning us into zombies.
It seems like back when my older cousins were teens in the 90s, the mall was like a hub for after school teenage activities, now it doesn't seem like that as much.

I guess online shopping must've took that fun away.

Check for new replies or respond here...