inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Now That's What I Call Music!

Written By: TD3000 on 05/15/14 at 1:23 am

Big milestone for NOW (the U.S. version), as they've reached 50 albums (not counting the offshoot ones). Started in the late 90s, and still going strong here in 2014. It's reached #1 this week in the Billboard 200. Maybe it doesn't sell huge numbers overall like it used to, but its sales are still competitive in today's landscape.

Me, I never owned a NOW CD, but I did listen to a few of them over the years at the store or at school or whatever. Would've been a neat collection to have, but whatever; I'm not gonna bother with it now. To me, people still buying NOW albums makes sense. People love singles, why not buy a CD full of them? Anyways, it's nice to scan through the old tracklists to see what was hot at different times. You had your boy band/pop princess era, hip-hop era, EDM era, and so on.

Subject: Re: Now That's What I Call Music!

Written By: Paul on 05/15/14 at 3:50 pm

In Britain, we've had them since the end of 1983 (LP and cassette only, of course!) - there was some rumour going round that when EMI was swallowed up by Universal, the brand would disappear. Doesn't appear to be the case and the sets are still selling pretty well...

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/15/14 at 3:57 pm

In Britain, we've had them since the end of 1983 (LP and cassette only, of course!) - there was some rumour going round that when EMI was swallowed up by Universal, the brand would disappear. Doesn't appear to be the case and the sets are still selling pretty well...
Still going strong with Now That's What I Call Music! 87 released on May 14th 2014.

http://www.nowmusicstore.com/media/AbstractArticleBigData/image250/.ffkvM9PU/WarehouseArticle-144315/Various-Artists-Now-That-s-What-I-Call-Music-87.jpg

Written By: Paul on 05/15/14 at 4:27 pm

Blew poor old K-Tel and Ronco clean out of the water overnight! The selling point? Original, uncut versions and better overall sound quality spread over two discs.

In a fit of panic, the two original kings of the compilation DID try something similar, but didn't really stand a chance with the wealth of quality material that EMI/Virgin (as it was back then) had at their disposal - along with a VERY hefty promotional budget!

Written By: yelimsexa on 05/16/14 at 8:31 am

Still going strong with Now That's What I Call Music! 87 released on May 14th 2014.

http://www.nowmusicstore.com/media/AbstractArticleBigData/image250/.ffkvM9PU/WarehouseArticle-144315/Various-Artists-Now-That-s-What-I-Call-Music-87.jpg

I wonder how many people may be fooled who think that CD is loaded with Stock/Aiken/Waterman stuff on it and perhaps a song from Michael Jackson's Bad album?  ;D

That said, my sister owns a few now CDs, and the first one in the US I remember for HEAVILY being advertised by my local TV's syndicator when they aired Pokemon during its first season.

Written By: Paul on 05/16/14 at 2:46 pm

I wonder how many people may be fooled who think that CD is loaded with Stock/Aiken/Waterman stuff on it and perhaps a song from Michael Jackson's Bad album?  ;D

I tell you what DOES fool some folk, especially the rabid NOW CD collectors (yes, there are some!)

The British NOW 4 compilation (from 1984) was released on CD as a 'market tester' and as so few copies were produced, it's rarity value is high.

Naturally, when YOUR #4 was issued, it caused a mild panic among said collectors who were under the impression a batch of British CD's had somehow escaped!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/17/14 at 7:07 am

Blew poor old K-Tel and Ronco clean out of the water overnight! The selling point? Original, uncut versions and better overall sound quality spread over two discs.

In a fit of panic, the two original kings of the compilation DID try something similar, but didn't really stand a chance with the wealth of quality material that EMI/Virgin (as it was back then) had at their disposal - along with a VERY hefty promotional budget!
The is one K-Tel and Ronco LP that is a collectors item for one of the tracks has Elton John as a session singer.

Written By: whistledog on 05/17/14 at 8:09 am

We have these in Canada as well.  Our version was originally called 'Now That's What I Call Music' and was released in 1988, but it was just that 1 album until 1996 when the series was re-branded as 'Now!' and was a yearly compilation.  As of 2013, they are released twice a year now.  Now 23 will be released in June 2014

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71Ucl7u7JhL._AA1500_.jpg

The British NOW 4 compilation (from 1984) was released on CD as a 'market tester' and as so few copies were produced, it's rarity value is high.

I have that.  It's only a 1 disc.  I also have the cassette version.  The CD version is disappointing as it only has 15 songs as opposed to the LP/Cassette's 32 songs, and the track I like the best:  Warning Sign by Nick Heyward is one of the tracks NOT on the CD version

http://www.ukcollectibles.co.uk/Images/now4cd.jpg

Written By: Howard on 05/22/14 at 10:34 am

Wow can't believe it's been 25 years.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/22/14 at 2:10 pm

SAW were only active from 1984 to 1993, and MJ is on a return to the charts.

Written By: Paul on 06/03/14 at 3:56 am

I have that.  It's only a 1 disc.  I also have the cassette version.  The CD version is disappointing as it only has 15 songs as opposed to the LP/Cassette's 32 songs, and the track I like the best:  Warning Sign by Nick Heyward is one of the tracks NOT on the CD version

VERY nice, Jason! I wouldn't be too distressed about 'Warning Sign' being one of the deleted tracks - just the sheer amount of filthy lucre this item will attain will be compensation enough! I don't think I'd be far wrong in saying that feasibly, you may be the owner of the one and only copy of this in Canada! Possibly the entire Americas!

Things went quiet on the CD front until 1987, when the British #8 was released (again, only on one CD with missing tracks). The first 'full on' 2CD issue was #10 (which is where my CD collection starts) and even that is conservatively valued at £50 upwards...

Conversely, the 'late' vinyl issues (last one was #35) are highly sought after too...

Written By: Paul on 06/03/14 at 4:02 am

The is one K-Tel and Ronco LP that is a collectors item for one of the tracks has Elton John as a session singer.

Possiby not those, as they only released the actual original versions. The 'dodgy' remake albums were things like 'Hot Hits' and 'Top Of The Pops' which used the session people. Yes, Reg is on a couple. There's an issue (not sure which) which had him performing 'Cottonfields', trying (not too) hard to sound like the Beach Boys' hit version! (He's also played piano on The Hollies' 'He Ain't Heavy...' - still as a session man!)

Incredibly, at the time, he was only a few months away from releasing 'Your Song' and launching his own stellar career - wonder if he ever 'covered' himself?  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/04/14 at 6:37 am

Possiby not those, as they only released the actual original versions. The 'dodgy' remake albums were things like 'Hot Hits' and 'Top Of The Pops' which used the session people. Yes, Reg is on a couple. There's an issue (not sure which) which had him performing 'Cottonfields', trying (not too) hard to sound like the Beach Boys' hit version! (He's also played piano on The Hollies' 'He Ain't Heavy...' - still as a session man!)

Incredibly, at the time, he was only a few months away from releasing 'Your Song' and launching his own stellar career - wonder if he ever 'covered' himself?  ;)
Thanks that is what I meant "Hot Hits".

...and as a session singer Elton John was a backing singer on Tom Jones' Delilah.

Written By: Paul on 06/04/14 at 4:44 pm

Thanks that is what I meant "Hot Hits".

And here he is in all his 'Hot Hits' glory...yes! Someone actually went out of their way to compile this!

http://www.amazon.com/Chartbusters-Go-Pop-Elton-John/dp/B000025AM9/ref=pd_sim_sbs_m_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1DEMYW3N63Z5JKTYT8Y4

There should be a few of these on YouTube, if you're really that curious...and here's 'Cottonfields'!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLctlpLTQiE

Written By: whistledog on 06/05/14 at 1:51 pm

I have one of those Hot Hits on cassette.  It's by Sounds Sensation and has a not half bad version of 'I Should Have Known Better' as made famous by Jim Diamond

Written By: Stompgal on 06/15/14 at 5:56 pm

I listened to the UK series of Now That's What I Call Music from 46 to 81. I don't buy them anymore because they keep putting on unfamiliar songs that are not worth paying extra for.

Written By: Paul on 06/19/14 at 10:11 am

I've not bought one since #34, I think (1996) - the crud that appears on them now just isn't worth my time. But that's getting old for ya!

Check for new replies or respond here...