inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you take photos of places from your past?

Written By: erik on 05/25/14 at 2:42 pm

Street photography was very limited in the pre-digital era. Most photos back then were of some event (e.g. birthday) and most took place either inside or near some monument. I'm really grateful that the most important places I used to visit as a child in my city look more or less the same. With the help of modern digital photography I took many photos of the school I used to go to in 2001 or the playground I used to visit back in 1997 recently. Even the playgrounds I used to visit with my mom in 1992-1994 are mostly the same, just older (they were built in the late 80's, so back then they were almost new). Sure it's 2014 now, but they didn't change that much and I feel I have to preserve them. I guess my photographic memory is not so good when it comes to places. I feel sorry for people that have to put up with their childhood places disappearing or changing too much. We are really fortunate to have smart phones these days as we can preserve our memories better. If some place from your childhood still exist, have you ever thought about taking a photo of it?

Subject: Re: Do you take photos of places from your past?

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/26/14 at 4:34 am

Street photography was very limited in the pre-digital era. Most photos back then were of some event (e.g. birthday) and most took place either inside or near some monument. I'm really grateful that the most important places I used to visit as a child in my city look more or less the same. With the help of modern digital photography I took many photos of the school I used to go to in 2001 or the playground I used to visit back in 1997 recently. Even the playgrounds I used to visit with my mom in 1992-1994 are mostly the same, just older (they were built in the late 80's, so back then they were almost new). Sure it's 2014 now, but they didn't change that much and I feel I have to preserve them. I guess my photographic memory is not so good when it comes to places. I feel sorry for people that have to put up with their childhood places disappearing or changing too much. We are really fortunate to have smart phones these days as we can preserve our memories better. If some place from your childhood still exist, have you ever thought about taking a photo of it?

I took pictures as a third grader of the woods behind our elementary school. The woods were cut down and the playground has changed. I used to play in those woods because you could build forts under the pine trees and walk the nature trails.

Written By: Howard on 05/26/14 at 7:31 am

I think I have some photos of places from my childhood somewhere.

Written By: warped on 05/26/14 at 4:30 pm

I went back to Montreal during the 1990s and took photos of every place I lived and every school I went to. I was surprised everything was still there (unlike what's in my brain). It would feel weird to go back today and say "I lived there 50 years ago"

I visited lots of places I used to go, friends houses, malls.  The mall I used to go to often in the late 60s and 1970s  "Rockland" was demolished in the early 80s and rebuilt.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/26/14 at 6:17 pm

I once did a Google image search on the street where my house was in San Antonio. The first few pics that came up I thought looked like my old living room. I clicked on the link and sure enough, the house was up for sale. Yup, I could have bought my old house back.  :D ;D ;D ;D 

Then I started Googling some of the other houses that I lived in and another one was up for sale. I downloaded the photos of the houses.

Cat

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 05/26/14 at 11:51 pm

I went back to Montreal during the 1990s and took photos of every place I lived and every school I went to. I was surprised everything was still there (unlike what's in my brain). It would feel weird to go back today and say "I lived there 50 years ago"

I visited lots of places I used to go, friends houses, malls.  The mall I used to go to often in the late 60s and 1970s  "Rockland" was demolished in the early 80s and rebuilt.

I've been thinking about taking a trip to Toronto and the sleaze and depravity that was down town Yonge Street.  Yonge and Dundonald Street where the old Gasworks bar used to be.  How stupid that a crooked landlord shut the place down before I was even old enough to get in the place.  :P

Written By: XYkid on 05/27/14 at 1:51 am

Whenever I go back to Oregon, I always like to stop and take a look at my old house. Originally it had a blue-grey colour, but the new owners painted it brown, which is the same colour as the roof and I think it looks ugly. However, it's still my old childhood home, and I get so many memories flooding back when I go there. Often times, I want to knock on the door and say hello, but I'm much too shy to do so. That being said, it really is the house that built me.
As for the town itself, they have put in lots of new developments in the area, but overall the vibe of the place hasn't changed that much. I guess Portlandia was right when they said the Dream of the 90s is alive there. :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/14 at 3:02 am

many a time I have gone back to my places of residences and employments to take photographs, I feel it has to grasp your past and it will be something to show your grandchildren in explaining your past.

Written By: Howard on 05/27/14 at 6:33 am

many a time I have gone back to my places of residences and employments to take photographs, I feel it has to grasp your past and it will be something to show your grandchildren in explaining your past.

something to reminisce about.

Check for new replies or respond here...