inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Elvis had two peaks in his career

Written By: 80sfan on 06/14/14 at 1:57 pm

I always felt like Elvis had two peaks in his career. One was circa 1956 to 1960, when teens were wild about him.

The second was 1968 to 1973. Then he had a fast downward spiral starting around autumn 1973.

Then came the infamous day of August 16, 1977!

Subject: Re: Elvis had two peaks in his career

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/14/14 at 2:27 pm

I always felt like Elvis had two peaks in his career. One was circa 1956 to 1960, when teens were wild about him.

The second was 1968 to 1973. Then he had a fast downward spiral starting around autumn 1973.

Then came the infamous day of August 16, 1977!

I think Elvis's biggest problem was that Colonel Tom Parker was a horrible manager. After he was discharged from the Army in 1960 he had several hits up until about 1962, and then he signed a multi-picture contract with Paramount Pictures that, while being very lucrative, also made him all but culturally irrelevant while the British Invasion was in full swing. Instead being free to rise up and meet the challenge from The Beatles and The Rolling Stones head-on (for example, Elvis never toured outside the United States save for a few dates in Canada in the 50's), he got stuck in Hollywood making goofy, formulatic movies, and what made matters even worse is that he actually had the potential to be a good dramatic actor.

Elvis launched a smashing comeback in 1968 with his NBC television special Elvis (later referred to as the '68 Comeback Special, where he was finally free to have control over his creative content and return to his wild, uninhibited style of rock and roll. He had string of hits over the next 3-5 years (my own favorite from this period being Kentucky Rain), but he kept touring relentlessly for the rest of his life and his health rapidly deteriorated due to excessive drug use and weight gain.

The poor man just needed a long vacation.  :-\\

Written By: 80sfan on 06/14/14 at 2:48 pm

I think Elvis's biggest problem was that Colonel Tom Parker was a horrible manager. After he was discharged from the Army in 1960 he had several hits up until about 1962, and then he signed a multi-picture contract with Paramount Pictures that, while being very lucrative, also made him all but culturally irrelevant while the British Invasion was in full swing. Instead being free to rise up and meet the challenge from The Beatles and The Rolling Stones head-on (for example, Elvis never toured outside the United States save for a few dates in Canada in the 50's), he got stuck in Hollywood making goofy, formulatic movies, and what made matters even worse is that he actually had the potential to be a good dramatic actor.

Elvis launched a smashing comeback in 1968 with his NBC television special Elvis (later referred to as the '68 Comeback Special, where he was finally free to have control over his creative content and return to his wild, uninhibited style of rock and roll. He had string of hits over the next 3-5 years (my own favorite from this period being Kentucky Rain), but he kept touring relentlessly for the rest of his life and his health rapidly deteriorated due to excessive drug use and weight gain.

What's funny is that I can't imagine Elvis dressing up as a hippie and singing peace/love type songs. His songs were about peace and love later on, but not the same way as the late 60s hippie type songs I'm talking about.

And I do see acting potential in him like you said, but I guess he was too nice to stand up to Tom Parker.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 06/14/14 at 5:54 pm

Someone should've told him to slow down, His manager didn't give a crap about his health. He just needed him to tour and make money.

Written By: Howard on 06/14/14 at 5:57 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ-k3oblIM8

Written By: 80sfan on 06/14/14 at 8:08 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ-k3oblIM8

His weight started fluctuating starting in 1973.

Written By: gibbo on 06/14/14 at 8:38 pm

It's a shame Elvis never toured the world. I would have paid to see him for sure.  Col. Parker was a dodgy illegal immigrant and had issues with his passport validity. He feared he would not be allowed back into the U.S. if authorities checked beneath the surface. This is one reason Elvis never toured.  His name was not Tom Parker ... he was born Andreas Cornelis Van Kujik in Breda, Holland. Even his tile of 'Colonel' was honorary only!

Written By: 80sfan on 06/14/14 at 8:55 pm

I actually quite like his music, I'm sure some of the people my age would look at me weird.  8)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/14/14 at 9:49 pm

I actually quite like his music, I'm sure some of the people my age would look at me weird.  8)

Something that might interest you: In 1977 during his last tour, Elvis performed at Pershing Auditorium about 6 weeks before he died.  :(

Written By: 80sfan on 06/14/14 at 9:52 pm

Something that might interest you: In 1977 during his last tour, Elvis performed at Pershing Auditorium about 6 weeks before he died.  :(

It does interest me. Wow!!  :o :o

Written By: SiderealDreams on 06/15/14 at 12:08 am

Heh, I can't help but remember an experience I had when I visited my brother at his out of state university in 2005. His friend was a big fan of Elvis, but he made it very clear that the Elvis he loved most was not classic 50's Elvis, but "fat dying Elvis."

Written By: Paul on 06/15/14 at 3:51 am

Heh, I can't help but remember an experience I had when I visited my brother at his out of state university in 2005. His friend was a big fan of Elvis, but he made it very clear that the Elvis he loved most was not classic 50's Elvis, but "fat dying Elvis."

Strange that most of the Elvis 'impersonators' that you see are of him in the 70s phase (white rhinestone jumpsuit, et al) - not of his more youthful phase...perhaps he had his greatest exposure then - he toured himself into the ground!

What's funny is that I can't imagine Elvis dressing up as a hippie and singing peace/love type songs.

Probably not, but don't forget there were only a few years' difference agewise between him and Lennon...

Written By: 80sfan on 06/15/14 at 10:02 am

Strange that most of the Elvis 'impersonators' that you see are of him in the 70s phase (white rhinestone jumpsuit, et al) - not of his more youthful phase...perhaps he had his greatest exposure then - he toured himself into the ground!

Probably not, but don't forget there were only a few years' difference agewise between him and Lennon...

I also think that the reason why impersonators rarely impersonate his 1956 to 1961 phase is because it's almost impossible to replicate his style and charisma of that era, plus he was a bit too good looking for any guy or even girl impersonator during that era to copy.

Written By: Howard on 06/15/14 at 3:32 pm

His weight started fluctuating starting in 1973.

He looked like crap. He eyes were looking bloodshot, couldn't remember most or any of his lines and he just started rambling on.

Written By: Howard on 06/15/14 at 3:33 pm

It's a shame Elvis never toured the world

Did he ever tour Madison Square Garden? ???

Written By: Howard on 06/15/14 at 3:45 pm

Wasn't it June 1977?

Written By: Howard on 06/15/14 at 3:46 pm

I also think that the reason why impersonators rarely impersonate his 1956 to 1961 phase is because it's almost impossible to replicate his style and charisma of that era, plus he was a bit too good looking for any guy or even girl impersonator during that era to copy.

That's why fans liked the 70's Elvis.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/15/14 at 4:51 pm

He looked like crap. He eyes were looking bloodshot, couldn't remember most or any of his lines and he just started rambling on.

Yeah I've heard of him forgetting some of his lyrics during the last year or two of his life.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/15/14 at 4:52 pm

That's why fans liked the 70's Elvis.

I love him in the 1950s more! Although I guess you could call me an Elvis fan!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/14 at 2:02 am

It was way on down for Elvis in 1977.

Written By: Howard on 06/16/14 at 4:11 pm

Yeah I've heard of him forgetting some of his lyrics during the last year or two of his life.

He was a total mess. :(

Written By: Howard on 06/16/14 at 4:14 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmLOt9mRD18

Check for new replies or respond here...